REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #101
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,282 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
^ Thanks.

So any cheap tickets recently? I need to book soon..very soon lol AC had the 15% off last week but would rather avoid flying with them + they jack up the price prior to the 15% code.
Advertisement
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #102
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 68 Times in 49 Posts
I managed to score tix for $980 taxes in via AC during their last round of sale (Feb.) Departing YVR June 5 and coming back on the 20th.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #103
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
I managed to score tix for $980 taxes in via AC during their last round of sale (Feb.) Departing YVR June 5 and coming back on the 20th.
^ Wouldn't call that much of a "score" as it's low/shoulder season. It's pretty much an "average" pricing as kids aren't out from elementary/highschool yet.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #104
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 68 Times in 49 Posts
^June is low season?? Ok..

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #105
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Failed 203 Times in 83 Posts
prices will prob not drop below $1000 now if you book for Jun-Aug, if anything its gonna go up

im looking to fly end aug to beginning sept, lowest price im findiing is $1280 fuuuuuuuu
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #106
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
^June is low season?? Ok..
Its still a good deal though. I paid the same around November back in 2010.

Once you hit July - August prices will probably be $1200+
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #107
I STILL don't get it

Failed 36 Times in 9 Posts
What do you guys prefer to take? Air canada or Cathay? They are about the same price after I pay for the extra luggage allowance for air canada.

I just wanna know which one is comfier, better service. I have taken cathay before to hk long haul, did not like the seats too much. Was wondering if AC is any better or worse? Input and thoughts please
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #108
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Cathay's new seats suck ASS
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #109
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 61 Times in 8 Posts
From my experience, Cathay Pacific is one of the best airliners out there. Their food, and service on flight is amazing compared to the other ones. Plus, they actually care about their customers and do whatever they could in their abilities to assist you. Last time, the seats were pretty decent; it doesn't hurt your butt when you're sitting for an extended period.

I find that the cheapest place online to buy Cathay Pacific tickets is on Expedia Travel: Vacations, Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets & Airfares. I've checked multiple sites but this one seems to have the lowest commisions, and so forth. I got mine for $1380, August 12 - Sep 3. Good deal!
jameskore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskore View Post
From my experience, Cathay Pacific is one of the best airliners out there. Their food, and service on flight is amazing compared to the other ones. Plus, they actually care about their customers and do whatever they could in their abilities to assist you. Last time, the seats were pretty decent; it doesn't hurt your butt when you're sitting for an extended period.

I find that the cheapest place online to buy Cathay Pacific tickets is on Expedia Travel: Vacations, Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets & Airfares. I've checked multiple sites but this one seems to have the lowest commisions, and so forth. I got mine for $1380, August 12 - Sep 3. Good deal!
Tried mid-June til end of August = $1700++
Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #111
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL typeS View Post
What do you guys prefer to take? Air canada or Cathay? They are about the same price after I pay for the extra luggage allowance for air canada.

I just wanna know which one is comfier, better service. I have taken cathay before to hk long haul, did not like the seats too much. Was wondering if AC is any better or worse? Input and thoughts please

There both pretty good. Service/Food overall might be better on Cathay. I like Alcohol service on AC better though.

Entertainment - Cathay has way more stuff and utilizes the widescreen much more effectively. AC is still pretty good, tons of new movies but the selection of other programing doesn't measure up as well to Cathay. And the movies are all 4:3.

AC has the regular reclining seats, no slouching here! If you can get over the seats on Cathay then thats probably the way to go. Otherwise I take AC.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #112
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskore View Post

Agree that is a good price on those dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
prices will prob not drop below $1000 now if you book for Jun-Aug, if anything its gonna go up

im looking to fly end aug to beginning sept, lowest price im findiing is $1280 fuuuuuuuu
$1280 for that range is consider cheap already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Tried mid-June til end of August = $1700++
Which dates are you departing and arriving back? (usually end of Aug is highest season)

-------
which new seats are you guys referring to? Just a reminder, CX has upgraded aircraft out so those seats I think you guys are referring to is slowly phasing out. The new seats are not bad, can actually lean back in them, unlike the other ones where the seats don't lean back. Given that most of you are flying June - Sept months, you will most likely be place in the new aircraft that has the Y+ ( Prem Econ) so the Econ class seats are decent.
And just to also let you guys know CX had there fuel price increase for March and now another increase is approved for April, so you will see ticket price a bit more expensive, expect to see price in $1200+ range, I haven't found anything lower than $1200 for any of the dates. (and I'm traveling April, May, June, July, August, cheapest I got was $1180 but I booked that in January for my March/April trip.)
Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #113
I STILL don't get it

Failed 36 Times in 9 Posts
Hopefully they take them out soon, those CX seats are quite uncomfy, your back gets messed up from the long haul flights. But then again I guess with the reclining ones, the person behind you might not be too happy. Btw are you guys discussing prices with tax in or without?

On a note, for CX is $1600 about right for van-bangkok-hk-van, during early april to early may time? Thats the cheapest I can find so far

Last edited by CL typeS; 03-30-2012 at 10:23 AM.
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #114

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL typeS View Post
Hopefully they take them out soon, those CX seats are quite uncomfy, your back gets messed up from the long haul flights. But then again I guess with the reclining ones, the person behind you might not be too happy. Btw are you guys discussing prices with tax in or without?

On a note, for CX is $1600 about right for van-bangkok-hk-van, during early april to early may time? Thats the cheapest I can find so far
Price's im referring to is tax in.

are you doing a transit and then stop over in HKG? You might want to look into just the flight from YVR - HKG and book a separate HKG - BKK flight from HK. flights from HKG - BKK is pretty cheap, lot's of airlines for you to choose from, unless your like me and prefer only to fly with CX/KA. but even so sometimes if you split up the flights it would be cheaper ( sometimes dragon air [KA] have sales for BKK )
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #115

Failed 203 Times in 77 Posts
hi guys ,

looking to go yvr to hk direct with cathay or ac in october or more likely nov

-whats a good price i should look for?
-how do u guys keep track and monolitor price fluctuations and sales?
-when should i start looking? 3 months in advance?
-which class is cheap yet bearable? (read this thread about the crazy seats and got scared lol)

any help will be alpreciated
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #116
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 34 Times in 4 Posts
same enquiry here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
hi guys ,

-which class is cheap yet bearable? (read this thread about the crazy seats and got scared lol)

iris1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #117

-October/Nov is pretty low season I think, so I'm going to guess a little under $1000 is a good price since it doesn't get expensive til mid December.
-Economy is alright for Cathay...it's bad but bearable lol AC definitely has better seats.

Tried booking YVR -> HKG for first week of July til Mid-late August = $1600 for Cathay...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #118

^thanks for the feedback! is ac a lot more expensive than cathay though, hence cathay can get away with the lower comfort level? or they're both about the same?

wondering how long to wait it out before i start booking...i'm thinking it's way too early now and prices won't increase til a couple months before nov?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #119

AC should be cheaper than Cathay most of the time, especially when they have 15-25% off deals from their flights, although they tend to jack up the prices before they release the discount code..so sometimes it makes it even more expensive..

If the price point is roughly the same, I'd choose Cathay, just too much drama going on with AC and you never know when your plane will get delayed/cancelled. My flight to HK last year was on AC and it got delayed for 4 hours. While my friends flight to USA got delayed as well on AC. CX has better food, stewardess and entertainment but seats are a bit killer on long flights(bearable but aren't good lol)

If you're going in Nov, I think looking around September would be suffice. Just IMO since I'm a procrastinator lol
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #120

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
hi guys ,

you guys shouldnt have to worry about the seats. By that time you are flying CX will have the new seats out. (I just flew back from HK on the Prem econ configure plane, the Econ seats is much better than the ones mention on here about killing your back)

and prices should be around $1000. won't be under $1000 this year, CX and other airlines just had 2 fuel surcharge prices increased. ( one in march and one in april ) i have a feeling there will be 2 more coming later on this year.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #121

^cool, sounds like cathay is a better choice then. any advice on when to book, to try to get a deal? or if i book 2 months before i'll be ok, and prices don't really go down that much?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #122

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
^cool, sounds like cathay is a better choice then. any advice on when to book, to try to get a deal? or if i book 2 months before i'll be ok, and prices don't really go down that much?
Personally I always only fly with CX. (that being said I do collect there miles to maintain my Marco Polo membership with them, so im a bit bias towards them)

well booking in advance is good to lock in prices before any other fuel surcharge gets approved. But on the downside you might miss a seat sale that opens up. Usually what you can do is if you book thru an TA, tell them to hold the seats (you usually have 2-3 weeks) before you have to pay. And during those 2-3 weeks u are hoping there would be a seat sale or any sale that comes up. and after the 2-3weeks u can cancel, and wait 1-2 days and rehold the seats and wait again. but if your booking thru the CX website, then you wont be able to do it this way.

Oct-Nov is low season so flying then is cheap as long as you come back before Dec 13 this year, that's when the prices goes up into High season.
Nov 29 - dec 13 is shoulder season. so if you fly out mid oct and come back early nov. then you will be able to get the low season prices.
I would recommend start looking in August, as right now the "cheap" prices are not load into the system yet
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #123
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Hi all, I'm thinking of going to HK almost ASAP but I'm wondering if it's actually cheaper if I go to the airport and buy the next flight or if I actually book it a couple days prior. Anyone have experience with grabbing a quick ticket and can provide insight on the cheapest method? Anytime between now till mid may , which I am assumin is low season.

Thanks
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #124

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Hi all, I'm thinking of going to HK almost ASAP but I'm wondering if it's actually cheaper if I go to the airport and buy the next flight or if I actually book it a couple days prior. Anyone have experience with grabbing a quick ticket and can provide insight on the cheapest method? Anytime between now till mid may , which I am assumin is low season.

Thanks
Flight should be $13xx. tax in.
I just booked a flight out on thursday returning last week of may. I got it for $1456 tax in but that was because i needed a specific subclass ticket for upgrades.
but the lowest was $13xx tax in.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #125
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Oh okay. I saw on air Canada that tix were 1018 taxes in. Pre good deal
G is offline   Reply With Quote