REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
Trip cancellation/health insurance suggestions?

Folks are heading out to HK for a month shortly, and in the past, I've gone with RBC for their health/trip insurance since they're the cheapest I've found so far.

I'm wondering if anyone else here purchases trip/health insurance and who do you use? I'm trying to shop around for rates for their insurance (not that I'm not happy with RBC since they've paid claims without much hassle) and wanted to see what prices others are offering (and if they can beat RBC)

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to list them in this thread!
Advertisement
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
i get my travel medical from pacific blue cross
Conan O'Brien Sex Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
bkw
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you are a bcaa member, they aren't bad. i think i paid about $35 for a year, up to 8 days of travel. i think it's around another $10'ish for 15 days.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I checked out Pacific Blue Cross and it looks like they're pricier than RBC. I remember checking out BCAA at one time on their last trip and also noticed they were more.

Currently my folks are paying $180 and $130 for their insurance. (that's because my dad is past 75 and my mom almost 70 so they're up in the highest premiums range)
Old 09-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Coast Capital Visa - if you book with it you get automatic trip cancellation insurance.

I get my extended health travel insurance through Coast Capital too.
mhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 87 Times in 37 Posts
isnt trip cancellation covered with VISA and Mastercard already?

Health Insurance... I bought it through my credit card, but i've seen my mother (who was hospitalized in HK for a few days) bring some bills back and billed MSP for it. How does that work?
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

That is correct - credit card usually covers that. It isn't really the biggest concern my folks have - it's more the medical benefits part that they're looking at. (all the ones I've looked at so far bundle the trip cancellation part so it doesn't seem like an option I can take out)

I'm really not sure how they handle out of country medical situations. My dad seems to get sick almost every time he's in HK (to the point where he's basically bedridden) so we've always made sure he's got adequate medical coverage. Every time, we've just given the paperwork to RBC and they handled the rest. They could have gone to MSP for it for all I know but it's transparent to me. I'll have to do a bit of research into that and see exactly what MSP will cover.