REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #326
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
I almost got a VI in the old volvo on cut springs. Checked to see if I was rubbing at full lock, didn't even care that I had to turn te car off in order to hear him... He wanted to make sure "it as safe" as he put it, my car was probably safer than half the cars on the road. I pulle to about 4K on the way out and made a nice backfire.
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #327
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
at least u walked away without the fucking stupid VI, which is completely bullshit.

I fucking hate a retarded cop who has no clue wtf they are looking for or talking about. SImply ignorant.

cant get the make/model right nor tell whether its VI material or not.

the fuck

RIghtttt im gonna make your life myserable, so here is a ticket and a VI to the mechanic shop. Let them decide if the car is legal or not, because im so dumb i really cant tell. i enjoy eating the donuts but repairing vehicles really isnt my experty. What do i know??@#!@#!@#
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #328
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 164 Times in 42 Posts
Hahahaha.

I post a statistcal fact that speeding is the #1 cause of fatalities, and people run their mouths talking about the causes of accidents.

People who hate the idea of speeding tickets and speed llimits always bring this up in their arguments about the causes of accidents, where driver inattention is usually first and speeding is way down the list. They then try to equate this to mean that "speeding is safe since it's not the main cause of accidents".

When ICBC says "Speed Kills" they don't mean that speed causes accidents. They mean that accidents at a higher speed (regardless of how they are caused) cause fatalities. In fact, the chance of a fatality (or extent of injury and subsequent $$$ payed out for rehab and so on) goes up exponentially with the speed of the accident. Hitting something at 120 km/h does not equate to only 20% more damage than hitting something at 100 km/h.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #329

Ever stuck your hand out of the window at 240km/h?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #330
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 164 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
at least u walked away without the fucking stupid VI, which is completely bullshit.

I fucking hate a retarded cop who has no clue wtf they are looking for or talking about. SImply ignorant.

cant get the make/model right nor tell whether its VI material or not.

the fuck

RIghtttt im gonna make your life myserable, so here is a ticket and a VI to the mechanic shop. Let them decide if the car is legal or not, because im so dumb i really cant tell. i enjoy eating the donuts but repairing vehicles really isnt my experty. What do i know??@#!@#!@#
I do provincial inspections, and our shop is where ICBC often sends vehicles for a "proper" inspection (for example, when a shop illegally passes a car and ICBC wants a re-inspect).

I have inspected countless cars for VI's. There have been a few where nothing is wrong with the vehicle and the officer got it wrong.

That said, the vast majority had one or more problems and deservedly got a VI.

So you'll have to excuse me when someone on RS gets a VI and complains about the "stupid bullshit pig that VI'd me for no reason" that I show no sympathy, because odds are extremely good that your car is a POS and deserved the VI.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #331

One or more problems being? What exactly can fail the car?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #332
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Failed 1,848 Times in 413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
I don't see how hard it would be to just keep your speed at 100 which is already pretty damn fast since you'll be approaching lougheed hwy soon and most likely have to stop for the light. On this stretch most people drive 80-90 still.
The problem with the SFU hill is, there's a tight, blind curve at the bottom, followed immediately by a left turn and a traffic light.

I seem to recall an incident a few years ago where someone was flying down the hill and slammed into the back end of a slower car, killing its occupants. See, just because YOU (a metaphysical "YOU", not T.T specifically) can handle going down the hill and whipping around that curve at 100, doesn't mean the car - or cars - ahead of you can or want to do it... and if you come around that curve, at that speed, and there's a wad of traffic stopped at the light, the back end of which is right at the exit of the curve, well...

Quote:
I think this law is fair for those who drive responsibly. It's "unfair" to irresponsible drivers..but then again we don't want irresponsible drivers on the road.
The few irresponsible drivers aren't being "fair" to the many, many responsible drivers on the road, anyway... so the law is perfectly "fair" for them as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
One or more problems being? What exactly can fail the car?
Judging from recurrent posts in the Police Forum, I'd say the list for Revsceners includes, but is not limited to, front tint, improper lighting, missing reflectors, lowered too far, exhaust too loud, tires rubbing, improper seats, improper restraints, improper bumpers...

I've also seen or heard of VIs for non-working lights, non-working horns, broken springs, cracked/broken frames, rusted-out body panels, MISSING bumpers, MISSING body panels, non-working brakes, improperly adjusted brakes, non-working emergency brakes, cracked windshields, bald tires, badly-worn tires (caused by bad alignment)...

Keep in mind, of course, that you can be VI'd for one obvious thing (like, HIDs in a '79 Volvo) , and when you take it for inspection, the shop can fail it for any combination of other above items, and more... like if they find your Volvo has gaping holes rusted through the floorboards. An inspection doesn't just check the one thing you were written up for... it checks that EVERYTHING is in proper, legal running condition.
Quote:
Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #334

But the rusty ones are always the cheapest!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #335
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol i got a V.I on my car for my rear camber, the cop thought something was bent after i told him countless times that nothing was and that i had experience with car and gone to school for automotive. Car had no rust as well. Cops are just dumb and don't know any better than wrecking someones day
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
Triple wrap it
the shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #336
Banned (BBM)

^

wat did i tell you
Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #337
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shocker View Post
lol i got a V.I on my car for my rear camber, the cop thought something was bent after i told him countless times that nothing was and that i had experience with car and gone to school for automotive. Car had no rust as well. Cops are just dumb and don't know any better than wrecking someones day
If you're running so much camber that a cop thinks something is bent, you might want to head back to automotive school.

The whole massive camber fad is dumb, and illegal/unsafe. I hope it fades out fast.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #338
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
If you're running so much camber that a cop thinks something is bent, you might want to head back to automotive school.

The whole massive camber fad is dumb, and illegal/unsafe. I hope it fades out fast.
it wasn't that much camber, it was about -3
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
Triple wrap it
the shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #339
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 159 Times in 63 Posts
Failure to stop is the cause of ALL accidents.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #340

...and excessive stopping is the result!
Quote:
Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #341
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 9 Times in 7 Posts
I don't like the new laws at all. They restrict, but offer no options.
At this point, ANY cop can nail me for excessive speeding even if I'm not. And make me go through all the headache and trouble and money just to prove it.

In the mean time, the shithead dumbasses I see on the road with the 80k cars don't really need to care. ESPECIALLY the ones w/ int'l licenses. They just get back on the road. I personally know a few ppl who just do that, 'cuz mom/dad have 2-4 cars at the house that they can just take. They don't care if they injure someone or hit something. money will solve it. They don't usually get pulled over anyway 'cuz the car's never under their name, and they're usually big ticket cars.

Some of the fastest cars on the road are the expensive ones. Yet I never see them get pulled over.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #342
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Judging from recurrent posts in the Police Forum, I'd say the list for Revsceners includes, but is not limited to, front tint, improper lighting, missing reflectors, lowered too far, exhaust too loud, tires rubbing, improper seats, improper restraints, improper bumpers...

I've also seen or heard of VIs for non-working lights, non-working horns, broken springs, cracked/broken frames, rusted-out body panels, MISSING bumpers, MISSING body panels, non-working brakes, improperly adjusted brakes, non-working emergency brakes, cracked windshields, bald tires, badly-worn tires (caused by bad alignment)...

Keep in mind, of course, that you can be VI'd for one obvious thing (like, HIDs in a '79 Volvo) , and when you take it for inspection, the shop can fail it for any combination of other above items, and more... like if they find your Volvo has gaping holes rusted through the floorboards. An inspection doesn't just check the one thing you were written up for... it checks that EVERYTHING is in proper, legal running condition.
Don't forget the exclusion of cat, or improper cat. Tow hooks front and rear, illegal lighting in vehicle cabin. colour of lights. Colour of indicator llights. Size of steering wheel. Aftermarket non-airbag steering wheel. foreign objects protrusions (exhaust tip, tow hooks, even the little side bumper wings). Spoiler too big, too long, etc. There's a huge shitlist.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #343

What if the car was never made with a cat? Didn't know about the tow hooks or steering wheels. What's the smallest steering wheel?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #344
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Failed 64 Times in 27 Posts
If it didn't come from the factory with a cat then you don't need one, the aftermarket steering wheel has to be the same size as the factory one. Tow hooks would come under the section dealing with items sticking out that can injure peds. Want the complete details, take a look at the inspection manual.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #345
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
I don't like the new laws at all. They restrict, but offer no options.
At this point, ANY cop can nail me for excessive speeding even if I'm not. And make me go through all the headache and trouble and money just to prove it.
Any cops could, yet no cop will. Even a power tripping cop doesn't want to do all the associated paperwork.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #346
Banned (BBM)

we will see about that
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #347
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Any cops could, yet no cop will. Even a power tripping cop doesn't want to do all the associated paperwork.
Are you kidding me?
They streamlined the paperwork so an officer can be done with his paperwork quickly and be out enforcing again. There isn't much paperwork involved in any traffic situations, outside of an accident. In that case, most of the work involves details of said accident.

C/N's: It's not that hard for a cop to bust you. It's their job.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #348
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Are you kidding me?
They streamlined the paperwork so an officer can be done with his paperwork quickly and be out enforcing again. There isn't much paperwork involved in any traffic situations, outside of an accident. In that case, most of the work involves details of said accident.

C/N's: It's not that hard for a cop to bust you. It's their job.
From what I've been told the procedure to impound and/or suspend is far more involved than a normal traffic violation. I'll ask my RCMP buddy tonight again to confirm and see if I can get exact details of how much more work it is.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #349
Banned (ABWS)

Anyone considering running from the cops, I finally found the MTA section that will screw you if they get your plate (or if you have an easily identifiable car that can be tracked down):

MTA 84 outlines the duty of the owner and MTA 83 outlines the owner will be held liable for specific offense if the driver is not identified and the corresponding fines and imprisonment.

Quote:
Duty to give information

84 (1) If a peace officer has reason to believe that a motor vehicle has been involved in an accident or in a contravention of this Act, the Commercial Transport Act or the Transportation Act, the regulations under any of these Acts, the bylaws of a municipality or the laws of a treaty first nation, and so informs the owner or a person in the motor vehicle, it is the duty of the owner or person, as the case may be, if required by the peace officer, to give all information it is in his or her power to give relating to the identification of the driver of the motor vehicle at the relevant time or during the relevant period.

(2) If the owner or other person fails to comply with subsection (1), or gives information that he or she knows to be false or does not believe to be true, he or she commits an offence against this Act.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #350

I left the keys in the ignition...