REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #176
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 6 Times in 2 Posts
going 10 - 20km over on the highway is really common... but that's about it i think... there's no need to be going any faster than that..
Advertisement
HappyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #177
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 132 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
great another gay homo ass law

fuck the law, laws are meant to be broken

paying $300-400 is no problem, but getting impounded for 7 days is seriously fucking ridiculous

I guess if driver is rich ($400 ticket will be pocket change) and own a couple sports cars, they can rotate being impounded. Blue lambo on mondy, red ferrari for tuesday, ....so on
Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #178
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
It's actually a $400+tow+storage fees+your Lambo being surrounded by beaters, tow yard employees and possibly towed incorrectly. Then add the cost of the points after your first offence and the fact that the second offence gets your car taken away for 30 days. I'm sure by the 3rd or 4th time, the Superintendant of Motor Vehicles will be suspending your licence.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #179
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
so i guess those that wants to speed, do it now and do it everyday.

Before the 20th comes
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #180
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
A friend had his bike impounded for street racing on the side of the road for simply leaving a light next to a bike in the same lane, going a little over the 50km/h limit, and then slowing down and stopping at the next light. He watched as the tow operator who had no idea what he was doing basically ruin the lower bodywork as he loaded it incorrectly. He now has to fight them to get the cost of having it replaced reimbursed. His charge was thrown out by the Superintendant of Motor Vehicles because it was so ludicrous but will never be reimbursed for the week he was without a license and vehicle. He also has to battle to get his towing and impounding fees reversed! An overzealous cop having a bad day can issue a bullshit ticket, with no repercussions or ability for you to fight it before being guilty, and cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars.

The other issue here are tow-yard employees. I went with a customer to bike up a bike once after it he had been in an accident and he was taken to hospital for the night...... to find a yard employee doing a burnout off the limiter on his bike to the applause of his coworkers! Who's going to cover the costs of any damage done to vehicles in cases like these? Not ICBC that's for sure.

It is NOT right that ICBC, a PRIVATE corporation, has this kind of power over the citizens of this province. All these impounding laws are serious bullshit. A private corporation shouldn't have the right to hold your personal property especially since these aren't serious or criminal offenses like a DUI, hit and run, etc. If using the road is a privilege and not a right then take away the license that allows people to use that privilege, but taking their property should be fucking illegal.

Last edited by JD像; 09-08-2010 at 04:06 PM.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #181
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
Failed 190 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
A friend had his bike impounded for street racing on the side of the road for simply leaving a light next to a bike in the same lane, going a little over the 50km/h limit, and then slowing down and stopping at the next light. He watched as the tow operator who had no idea what he was doing basically ruin the lower bodywork as he loaded it incorrectly. He now has to fight them to get the cost of having it replaced reimbursed. His charge was thrown out by the Superintendant of Motor Vehicles because it was so ludicrous but will never be reimbursed for the week he was without a license and vehicle. He also has to battle to get his towing and impounding fees reversed! An overzealous cop having a bad day can issue a bullshit ticket, with no repercussions or ability for you to fight it before being guilty, and cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars.

The other issue here are tow-yard employees. I went with a customer to bike up a bike once after it he had been in an accident and he was taken to hospital for the night...... to find a yard employee doing a burnout off the limiter on his bike to the applause of his coworkers! Who's going to cover the costs of any damage done to vehicles in cases like these? Not ICBC that's for sure.

It is NOT right that ICBC, a PRIVATE corporation, has this kind of power over the citizens of this province. All these impounding laws are serious bullshit. A private corporation shouldn't have the right to hold your personal property especially since these aren't serious or criminal offenses like a DUI, hit and run, etc. If using the road is a privilege and not a right then take away the license that allows people to use that privilege, but taking their property should be fucking illegal.
Damn that's sad to hear about your friend's bike. I really agree to the last few lines of your post, Especially about them using private corporations to take our property away.
Posted via RS Mobile
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #182
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
I think it's good, I'm tired of pricks who just got their license driving around like they know what they are doing, cutting me off going 150 on the highway. I'm 26 years old and I remember what it was like driving fast for no reason because it was "cool", it's just that now instead of it being my dads grand am it's a Audi R8 with an N on the back.
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #183
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 86 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I think it's good, I'm tired of pricks who just got their license driving around like they know what they are doing, cutting me off going 150 on the highway. I'm 26 years old and I remember what it was like driving fast for no reason because it was "cool", it's just that now instead of it being my dads grand am it's a Audi R8 with an N on the back.
Posted via RS Mobile
So basically you're jealous because you had to try and speed around in you dad's grand am whereas these guys get to speed around in R8's with an N on the back. Cool.
JiggaZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #184
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Soooo uhhhhh

How many of you who hate this law voted BC Liberal?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaZed View Post
So basically you're jealous because you had to try and speed around in you dad's grand am whereas these guys get to speed around in R8's with an N on the back. Cool.
Not exactly, my point is I grew up and no longer bitch like a pussy who's worried about my car being towed because I speed too much. It's easy enough to be an idiot with 130 horsepower I don't need some stupid shit crossing over the center line and hitting me head on because they want to learn what 450hp feels like when they have had their license less than a month.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #186
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
I can't believe I missed this - what a discussion.

This is a car enthusiasts' website, so naturally, the law wasn't going to go well here. But, for the general public, this law makes sense as it gives the police the authority to crack down on the real problems like speeding in school and construction zones.

The sad reality is that even if some of the views expressed here were to be shared by some sympathetic politicians, they would never wash with the general public. And I agree that the way law is structured makes it a cash grab. But you know what? We have some of the lowest taxes in the country (despite what people think - check CRA's website and compare tax rates) and considering that it is very difficult to raise income and property taxes, the money's gotta come from some where. Like taxing smokers, this is an easy way to generate revenue. Hating on the politicians is easy, but running a city/province/country is more difficult than it seems.

It's too bad that taylor192 got banned. Be sure to catch his greatest hits on the forums over at Red Flag Deals.

Last edited by Tapioca; 09-08-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #187
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
its ok no one is gonna miss taylor or his C230
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #188
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Failed 2,239 Times in 545 Posts
Yeah I don't know why ppl are being pussies, maybe it's becuase your car doesn't pull hard enough, so you just say o ya I agree with this law? I don't get it....

If you don't feel safe behind the wheel doing 140'ish then you gotta grow a pair.

Highway speed should be 150, that would be perfect. So then we can do 160/170, 10/20 over the limit. 200 would be per-fucking-fect.

so if we got 3 lanes on highway 1 lets say, right lane 100, middle 150, left 200.. that's how it's gone bro.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #189
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 164 Times in 42 Posts
^ You're an idiot and once again prove through your posts that you know nothing about how vehicles handle and perform.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
so i guess those that wants to speed, do it now and do it everyday.

Before the 20th comes
I'll continue to speed after the 20th.

You just gotta be aware of your surroundings and drive faster in the right places.

Also that's what radars are for.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
^ You're an idiot and once again prove through your posts that you know nothing about how vehicles handle and perform.
I've been driving manual since 8.

so thanks.

like I said, throw all the pussies in the right, throw all the average drivers in the middle, throw all the people who have a pair in the left. problem solved. everyone is happy.

In reality that won't happen ^, but just saying... why not.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #192
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Failed 195 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
I've been driving manual since 8.

so thanks.

like I said, throw all the pussies in the right, throw all the average drivers in the middle, throw all the people who have a pair in the left. problem solved. everyone is happy.

In reality that won't happen ^, but just saying... why not.
What do you suggest be done about those who think they can drive, but in reality can't?

Maybe I'm alone in thinking that if you want to drive fast, take it to the track. Oh well.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #193

I'm not totally against speeding, but when you think laws are unfair when you're going 40km/h over the limit then it's time to give your head a shake, because you clearly do it far too often. Certain areas could use a higher speed limit but as far as highways go, 150 might be nice when it's sunny out but when the roads get wet I'll assume most idiots won't adjust and there will be a lot of accidents
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
What do you suggest be done about those who think they can drive, but in reality can't?

Maybe I'm alone in thinking that if you want to drive fast, take it to the track. Oh well.
I donno.

I think everyone should eat power bars for breakfast and everyone should drive rwd/manual so everyone can tandem drift around.

that's just me.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #195
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
I've been on hundreds of drives with hundreds of different people over the years. I started out with the Corvette club with my uncle when I was maybe 10 or so and slowly progressed over the years to different car clubs. The one constant I've noticed over the past years is that the people who professed themselves to be great drivers and know what they're doing are, typically, actually pretty unaware and not as great as they believe themselves to be. I'm talking about people from the 'Vette, VW, S13, and Mustang clubs and even Revscene. I hear (or read, rather) all this talk about how safe they are, how aware of their surroundings they claim to be, how they'll never speed if there's other cars on the road... And you know what? It's usually all bullshit.

One prime example: I went out with a buddy of mine and we joined a local car club who's designation will remain nameless. While there was a bit of spirited driving, it wasn't too bad (most of these cars are setup for auto-x, so we were tackling the local twisties with some fervour). However, we hit one stretch of straight road and most of the other cars took off at a high speed (think 100+ in a 60 zone), weaving in and out of a fairly busy road. Since we knew the eventual destination, my buddy and I stayed back in our respective cars and let them take off. We catch up with them about ten minutes later and they're all pulled over by an undercover officer and are being threatened with having their cars impounded and tickets for street racing, though amusingly the cop looks at us and tell us to take off.

My point is that every single one of those guys that got pulled over claimed the exact same things that most others say: "I'm a safe driver; I'll never speed when other cars are around, and never do unsafe shit to jeopardize other people's lives."

It's bullshit. I know because I was there at one point in my life; I thought I was the world's greatest driver (well, not really... but I considered myself to be pretty decent). But as I started doing amateur auto-x and circuit racing, I realized just how little I knew about handling cars at high speed and how little time you have to react should something go amiss when you're travelling at 160km/hr. And that's just on a controlled environment. When you're on a highway bombing along at 160 at night, if an animal pops into view, chances are you're hitting it. And if you've ever hit a raccoon at that speed, it's not just going to bounce off the car and you'll be on your merry way. Even worse, you'll try to quickly avoid it and misjudge your turn and create an even bigger problem for yourself.

Maybe I'm getting older, or maybe I'm starting to see the errors in my misguided youth (fuck, I'm not that old yet), but while I still enjoy the odd burst of illegal speed, I'd rather go down South or to the East and do it properly on a track. I've already had one near-hit involving a deer and high speed; I'm not going to be an idiot and risk it again.

My two cents. I realize it's not popular, but it's the truth from what I've observed over the years of hosting and participating in many, many cruises.

Side note: I was bombing down Hwy1 last year between the 232nd and 200th exits at about 120 or so in the right lane. A semi truck was ahead of me and I wanted to pass. I checked my mirrors and saw a vehicle about three-quarters of a click behind me in the left lane... plenty of space. So I turn on my blinkers and change lanes. As soon as I finish pulling into the left lane and come about parallel with the semi truck trailer's rear axles, I see highbeams flashing in my rear view mirror. The fucker who was so far behind me was suddenly right on my ass. I was already doing 120... this guy must have been doing at least 180/190 in order for him to close that gap in such a short amount of time. Don't tell me that's safe.

For what it's worth, I do know the driver of that car is on Revscene and if I ever see you on a Revscene cruise, I will tell you to fuck off and that you're not welcome to join in the drive.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #196
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
One more thing - If the limits get raised to, say, 150... that means you're going to have grandma's in 80's Cadillacs and electricians in cargo vans and semi-trucks attempting to go that speed. I'll guarantee that these people are all far less familiar with their vehicles at that speed than most enthusiasts who take their cars to the track. Just because my car might be able to go from 150-0km/hr in 150 feet, it doesn't mean the Cadillac behind me can... and chances are I have far better reflexes than said grandma.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #197
I am grateful grapefruit

Failed 83 Times in 11 Posts
Especially on an enthusiast car forum, how many people here will admit that they're a below average driver. I'm sure everyone here will say that they're a good driver, aware of their surroundings. Me, I'm a perfect driver like everybody else.

I got in an accident the other day, honestly the worse one I've ever been in (it wasn't even all that bad to be honest, probably only $1500 in damage or so) in the 8 years I've been driving. But it was just amazingly stressful, being that it was my sister-in-law's car, it was on the morning of my sister's wedding, and I was driving to deliver the bouquets to bridesmaids, along with all the boutineers that the groomsmen and groom were wearing. I wasn't going fast, I was going about 40, just coming up the right lane into the blindspot of a truck, he cut me off without checking properly first, but I hit the brakes and locked the tires (it was raining out and the car didn't have ABS), and couldn't stop in time so he sandwiched me into the curb.

This is the first accident where I was even moving, all the other times I was stationary at a light, or in a parking lot, and I was hit by other cars. But as defensive a driver I was, there are some accidents you just can't avoid, and this applies to you if you're going 40km/h, or 160km/h. It dawned on me that I'm not invincible, and as good a driver I think I am, shit happens and you just have to be thankful that you didn't get hurt. When I start going faster, I start thinking now, why do I need to go so fast. Sure, the acceleration feels cool, but is it really necessary?

I'm not going to lie. I've gone 160 before when I was 18. Hell, I've driven 175km/h on the autobahn, bouncing off the limiter in 5th gear in my little rental car. But now I'm glad it didn't take a massive accident to make me to learn my lesson that speed really isn't all that great. I'm really pressuring my sister to have kids now, because I think it would be amazing to be an uncle... but then I started thinking, I would be scared to drive them out on the roads, because I don't want the responsibility of it all - I would never be able to look my sister in the eye if anything had happened... Then I read all you guys talking about speeding. It's true that most of you would do it on remote roads, but I know some of the people who post here - are like the idiot that Lomac is talking about, and it just makes me worried - not just for my safety, but for any passengers in my car that might get hurt.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #198
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 164 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
One more thing - If the limits get raised to, say, 150... that means you're going to have grandma's in 80's Cadillacs and electricians in cargo vans and semi-trucks attempting to go that speed. I'll guarantee that these people are all far less familiar with their vehicles at that speed than most enthusiasts who take their cars to the track. Just because my car might be able to go from 150-0km/hr in 150 feet, it doesn't mean the Cadillac behind me can... and chances are I have far better reflexes than said grandma.
Except that no car in the world can go from 150-0 in 150 feet. A fully loaded semi truck takes about the same distance to stop from 100 km/h to 0 as any modern sports car can from 150km/h to 0.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #199

Failed 12 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Sol.-Gen. Mike de Jong said Thursday that excessive speeding leads to many fatal car accidents.
Quote:
“What we know is that speed is the No. 1 contributing factor to fatalities in car accidents in the province,” said Cpl. Jamie Chung of the RCMP E Division’s traffic services section.
I like to know how many of those fatal accidents involves alcohol.

Having a hard number like 40kph is just stupid. It should really be a percentage. But I guess you can't expect all the cops doing basic elementary math while working. That would be too hard.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #200

Failed 132 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
So I turn on my blinkers and change lanes. As soon as I finish pulling into the left lane and come about parallel with the semi truck trailer's rear axles, I see highbeams flashing in my rear view mirror. The fucker who was so far behind me was suddenly right on my ass. I was already doing 120... this guy must have been doing at least 180/190 in order for him to close that gap in such a short amount of time. Don't tell me that's safe.
Well said.
You guys ever notice that sometimes using blinker will trigger acceleration from douchbag drivers who wont allow you to cut him off due to high ego from foreign object sticking up the ass