REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 39 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Bodymen don't get half of the shop rates....they make about $26-28/hr and painters now make about $19-22/hr(no thanks to icbc...fuckers)
I should've said under half, rest to shop.
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC69 View Post
Thanks for sharing the information. I brought my car to two more body shops and I've a good idea what the repair cost should be. Both of them gave me a quote of around $1500 which is very close to the range suggested by VR6GTI.
Yup, VR6GTI knows his estimating. I can vouch for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peturbo View Post
I should've said under half, rest to shop.
haha..it's ok.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #28
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 128 Times in 19 Posts
not all shop that are accredited from icbc means that they do good work....i've worked in many shops and have seen a few crappy repairs...

the dents there i would estimate if say i work for icbc..around 8 hours for the body work..1350 sounds like a fair price..2550 is a lil much, must be a big body shop trying to cover their expenses..2550 can get your whole car painted in shop places..lol
ImportXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #29
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Clear coat is not $2/L. A gallon of good clearcoat with a quart of hardener is roughly $250 -$350. FYI for people that don't know, paint materials typically come in quart(1L) and Gallon(4L) and shops usually buy the gallon. Epoxy and high build primer is not $1.70/L either. And no way in hell waterbased basecoat is $3.70/L. A quart of color toner is roughly $70. Even that cheap ass Korean made clearcoat is $25 and there's no way a reputed company like Glasurit sells materials for that damn cheap.

General Shop rates nowadays is $70/hr for body and paint is $70/hr + $30ish/hr(for material cost) for the paint side.

Shops make profits off labour not material cost....

If your an icbc adjuster, you should well know that gas caps don't get R&I time and you definitely don't get blend time for rear bumpers. This job doesn't require any blending of adjacent panels...just quarter panel and rear door repaint.

Shop #3 has the most closest estimate. You should be looking at 5-6 hrs for paint and your body repair should be about 4 hrs(reason being, I can tell you
have damage on your inner portion of the quarter panel. Do a quick calculation with the shops rates I provided and it will tell you which shop is ripping you off and which isn't

Bodymen don't get half of the shop rates....they make about $26-28/hr and painters now make about $19-22/hr(no thanks to icbc...fuckers)
Owned
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #30
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportXxX View Post
not all shop that are accredited from icbc means that they do good work....i've worked in many shops and have seen a few crappy repairs...

the dents there i would estimate if say i work for icbc..around 8 hours for the body work..1350 sounds like a fair price..2550 is a lil much, must be a big body shop trying to cover their expenses..2550 can get your whole car painted in shop places..lol
The two shops that quoted me over 2k are Bismark and Rich City. I've work done by Rich City before and I'm quite aware of their cost. Even though these two shops have good reputation, I just don't think they worth 50-60% more then other especially my damage is rather minor and any decent body shop should have no problem fixing it.

BTW, what is a reasonable price to repaint the front bump? (don't need repair, just some scratch marks)
PC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #31
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC69 View Post
BTW, what is a reasonable price to repaint the front bump? (don't need repair, just some scratch marks)
All depends on the car but $400-600
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #32
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
All depends on the car but $400-600
Thank you
PC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #33
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Failed 1,578 Times in 359 Posts
K this is gonna sound stupid but if its a scuff and its not through the clear coat use a cloth pour brake fluid on it and rub it on the scuffs and then when the scuffs are gone wash as brake fluid can take away paint if its left on for too long.....i did it my car my and it worked !

Then take the car to body shop too get rid of the dent and paint the scuffs that are through the clear coat. I bet you theyll charge you less.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #34
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 30 Times in 9 Posts
I've head that some shops (specifically high end shops) will sometimes 'over estimate' a specific job simply because they don't want to fix that car (whether its older, or rusty, or a POS, or the guy driving is a douch... not that that is the case here... I've just heard of it happening)
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #35
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Clear coat is not $2/L. A gallon of good clearcoat with a quart of hardener is roughly $250 -$350. FYI for people that don't know, paint materials typically come in quart(1L) and Gallon(4L) and shops usually buy the gallon. Epoxy and high build primer is not $1.70/L either. And no way in hell waterbased basecoat is $3.70/L. A quart of color toner is roughly $70. Even that cheap ass Korean made clearcoat is $25 and there's no way a reputed company like Glasurit sells materials for that damn cheap.

General Shop rates nowadays is $70/hr for body and paint is $70/hr + $30ish/hr(for material cost) for the paint side.

Shops make profits off labour not material cost....

If your an icbc adjuster, you should well know that gas caps don't get R&I time and you definitely don't get blend time for rear bumpers. This job doesn't require any blending of adjacent panels...just quarter panel and rear door repaint.

Shop #3 has the most closest estimate. You should be looking at 5-6 hrs for paint and your body repair should be about 4 hrs(reason being, I can tell you
have damage on your inner portion of the quarter panel. Do a quick calculation with the shops rates I provided and it will tell you which shop is ripping you off and which isn't

Icbc Paint shop rate is $110 for an express rated shop, body is at 89 i believe, your right on the painter wage but getting 4 hours to paint a hood is pretty darn good, icbc will not pay for blends on black cars...and if they need a full panel to blend black they prob need a new painter

I am doing quite a bit of side jobs or moonlighting as some may say!! anybody is welcome to stop by for an estimate. If its more than a small dent or scrapes give me a call to make sure my bodyman is here, PM me or 604-312-1907 call me

If you have an icbc claim plus some other paint work you want done. My boss will allow us to square up our stuff seperate and you get a Courtesy car, all within being reasonable ya know, I have also rented his cars(cheap) for my own jobs too...

I have a pretty good deal going with him so talk to me and we can work something out

Last edited by SodaMousse; 10-25-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: mistakes happen
SodaMousse is offline   Reply With Quote