REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
Buying a used car from toyota dealer

hey guys im thinking of grabbing my mom a yaris cause my stocks went up a lot this year, figured itd be a nice treat considering "she took care of my ass" for years as she says
my question is this, im buying the car from the dealer, and it has a 2000 dollar accident on it, and i want to get it checked out (the car is certified used or whatever) so i get warranty on it
however, the dealer is being annoying saying they dont want me to take it to my mechanic for inspection and told me to just use BCAA cause its better? o.O seems kinda weird

do dealerships usually allow u to take the car to a private shop for inspection? i know it seems kind of a hassle...but its for my peace of mind
or should i just ask my mechanic to go over to toyota and check it out?

thanks in advance
Advertisement
Jackwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
well, i dont know if this is always the case, but to me, buying a used car from an actual dealership (especially if its their brand; toyotadealership+toyotacar) usually means its been inspected.

i went to a toyota dealership before, and found a really old civic, which i wanted to buy. however they refused to sell it because it hadnt passed inspection, and was potentially dangerous. real dealerships wont just sell random crap just for the sake of a sale.

if its certified, thats even better, because that pretty much means it passed with flying colors. which is why they risk giving you the extra warranties. (otherwise, its their loss if things keep going wrong with it)

you can always bring BCAA or your own mechanic to them. but i never heard of anyone doing this?

to me, toyota dealership + certified would already be peace of mind for me ;p

good luck ;D!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Get the ICBC report on it to find out how much the repairs cost and what was involved in repairing it. It's pretty easy to rack up $2K damage on a new car.

Other then that, BCAA is pretty reliable and thorough. They probably don't want you taking it to a shop off their lot.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #4

hey fliptuner, ya i requested that they find out exactly what was the damage, because in the report i saw (i believe icbc anyways) it just said collision and 2000 dollars, but there was no additional information
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
They probably don't want you to bring some sketchy ass mechanic fucking the car up or making false claims that could potentially put you and the dealer in awkward positions. This is what BCAA does and they have a reputation for these kinds of things.

But like others have said go find out what was in that collision, $2000 frankly is pretty low if any lights/bumpers had to be replaced you're over $1k pretty easy. Probably doesn't mean anything too serious.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,341 Times in 842 Posts
Failed 207 Times in 86 Posts
$2k isn't bad, just try and find the details...

As for the "toyota" inspection, lots of techs are pretty lazy and skip things or go through them quickly. Most dealer inspections are pretty basic as well.

Just put a refundable deposit on the car and then say you've had your mechanic for years and trust him. Any dealership who wants to make the sale should cater to your needs. I've always let people take the car to their own mechanic if it gives them peace of mind.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Failed 1,578 Times in 359 Posts
they prolly think if you take it off the lot your mechanic will steal shit and replace with crap parts and bam they have themselves a lemon.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
speaking from working at a dealership, the dealer should have the car inspected and all scheduled maintenance up to date on the car. I would ask the dealer to present the inspection paper, or any service documents they have of the vehicle. Also they should have a carproof document of the vehicle. Legit dealers are safe. If you really need an inspection done, i suggest to get BCAA to inspect it. BCAA has really really strict standards. Any little thing, they will note down, and it will be good for bargaining.

Best of luck.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #9

hmm judging from this, ya i suppose i understand why they arent cool with me taking the car out
they actually have showed me the maintenance paperwork on the car and it had new tires, oil change, and a few minor things taken care of so it is considered running in tip top shape
i guess i will just wait to receive the information regarding the accident for now and perhaps just call BCAA
Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 34 Times in 11 Posts
is it a real Toyota dealer or just a dealer that has connection with Toyota (toyota approved dealer)?
christiankirana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #11

westminster toyota