REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #4076
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,174 Times in 1,554 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
agreed,

Crews knew about the snowfall, yet roads were shit out there. Wtf.
They rolled the dice, like I did. Too bad they lost, and I won.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #4077
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Failed 474 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
A couple in their 80s... if that's your thing sure...
Nothing gets my blood pumping like ladies in their 80s
Old 12-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #4078
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
I LOVE THE SNOW. Until I have to go to work

Ugh. The worst thing so far are those entitled bitches who come in at noon on the first snow, without an appointment, start crying because you won't let them jump to the front of the walk-in queue, then complain to the GM that they want their winter tires done yesterday...
So... it looks like we need an adult preschool to teach people to wait for their turn?
coneZONE is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #4079
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 12 Times in 8 Posts
There were a couple of cars with smashed windshields on HWY 91, I can only assume from falling ice. Careful of there, guys

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #4080
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Route to work is from Richmond to Oak and 25th area via Arthur Lang. Traveling around Richmond, the roads didn't look like they were salted/plowed, but there wasn't that much snow. Seen the usual BMW SUV's going 20-30km/h faster than everyone else and Corolla's driving 20-30km/h slower than everyone else.

The ramp from Marine Drive onto Oak street was completely blocked due to buses.
Went north up Cambie instead, traveling behind a Cadillac that was going really slow up the hill and eventually pulled to the side. Lots of pick up trucks stopped on the side, blocking 1 lane on either side. On the south side, various cars spun out or stopped blocking the lane going down Cambie.

Made it to work on time, only had to leave 15mins early.
Blizzak WS80's performed great, as usual.
i had to go through this too. what a nightmare.. not sure how you made it on time, my 25-30 minute commute turned to 1.5 hours. made it fine in my EG with all seasons, but only risked it cause my snowies were at work. the amount of people who just have no clue how to drive in snow + were on all seasons was just atrocious though. i almost got rear ended by the same idiot in an old mazda b2000 3 times. moved out of his lane and made some distance, and about an hour or so after getting in, saw it go by on the back of a tow truck, front bumper all caved in and grille gone. smfh

on a brighter note, i think i love this EG. only picked it up on saturday, but it's already proven it's worth and then some. the ride home on snowies felt no different than a dry day as far as grip and stability. first year i've actually been properly equipped with a proper winter ready beater, and it's a pretty sweet feel

my commute home also actually took less time than normal (25-30 minutes down to 20).. not sure how that happened. i guess everybody who was causing the traffic snarls for the morning commute had already wiped out and therefore weren't on the road to mess things up a second time
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #4081
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
i left work from surrey at 3:30pm.

i just got home now at 7pm.

Big fat star to the city of new west who actually plowed the streets.

And a big raspberry for Burnaby. You should have seen Canada Way. Cars abandoned all over the place. There were two articulated transit buses stacked up against each other at the intersection of kensington and hastings.

I thought if I could follow the bus routes on the side streets I might have some luck getting home.... nope.

FML
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #4082
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i left work from surrey at 3:30pm.

i just got home now at 7pm.

Big fat star to the city of new west who actually plowed the streets.

And a big raspberry for Burnaby. You should have seen Canada Way. Cars abandoned all over the place. There were two articulated transit buses stacked up against each other at the intersection of kensington and hastings.

I thought if I could follow the bus routes on the side streets I might have some luck getting home.... nope.

FML
Jesus..I was off at 3 from Surrey, got home in East Van at 5. Granted, I figured the sensible thing was to take kingsway instead of Canada way (Steep hill, figured lots of sliding and accidents) or Brunette/Columbia (Backed semi truckers)

Mentally drained from the commute.... and sliding..two snow tires on rear...should have bought another two (Fwd car)...
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #4083
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 68 Posts
Retards on the road when I was driving to school earlier this afternoon, I get it's snowing but you don't need to be driving 30 km/h or maybe I just think I'm invincible driving in the snow
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #4084
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 81 Times in 54 Posts
To play Devil's advocate, do you think it's a good idea for a city to allocate tens of millions of dollars in its annual budget for something that has happened fewer and fewer times? Keep in mind that it has not snowed in nearly 2 years in most areas of Metro Vancouver. These types of storms will probably be a thing of the past in 10-20 years due to climate change.

People bitch and complain about city crews being understaffed and being caught off-guard. Most cities have limited resources, so snow removal gets put to the bottom of the list of expenditures.

The region shuts down for a couple of days then all is back to normal. The amount of lost productivity during a snowstorm probably doesn't add up to how much it would cost each city to procure and maintain sufficient snow removal equipment. It's a cold calculation, but you can see why municipal governments make it.

With that said, I had no problems getting up the mountain today in my set of General Altimax Arctic tires.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #4085
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
if the money was actually "Saved" and not squandered on other things i'd feel better about agreeing lol..

Highway from Vancouver Cassiar to Gaglardi was actually pretty good at 5:30, about the same amount of time as a normal day..

however, it already felt as though there was a thin layer of ice even in the fast lane.. I wasnt really slipping anywhere until i got on the highway and fairly quickly i noticed my back end slipping and a bit of sliding when braking

might be a scary night/morning
Old 12-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #4086
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
To play Devil's advocate, do you think it's a good idea for a city to allocate tens of millions of dollars in its annual budget for something that has happened fewer and fewer times? Keep in mind that it has not snowed in nearly 2 years in most areas of Metro Vancouver. These types of storms will probably be a thing of the past in 10-20 years due to climate change.

People bitch and complain about city crews being understaffed and being caught off-guard. Most cities have limited resources, so snow removal gets put to the bottom of the list of expenditures.

The region shuts down for a couple of days then all is back to normal. The amount of lost productivity during a snowstorm probably doesn't add up to how much it would cost each city to procure and maintain sufficient snow removal equipment. It's a cold calculation, but you can see why municipal governments make it.

With that said, I had no problems getting up the mountain today in my set of General Altimax Arctic tires.
let's wait and see how it turns out after the big freeze tomorrow... and the next snowfall scheduled for thursday... and this sunday too. and the huge amount of icbc claims from just today alone.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 12-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #4087
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Failed 104 Times in 37 Posts
Which one's harder to navigate through? A zombie apocalypse? Or first snowfall in metro Vancouver?

I take zombie apocalypse over snowfall any day.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #4088
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 81 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
let's wait and see how it turns out after the big freeze tomorrow... and the next snowfall scheduled for thursday... and this sunday too. and the huge amount of icbc claims from just today alone.
Municipal governments and ICBC are separate organizations with different mandates.

If I were the chair of the Union of BC Municipalities, I would lobby Victoria to make winter tires mandatory on all privately-owned vehicles between the months of December and February.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #4089

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
10-15 cm expected for my area tonight. Looks like I'll be leaving early again tomorrow.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 PM   #4090
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
the dumbest thing today I saw driving into the office downtown was freaking golf cart sized snow plows and city crew working to clear snow from the bike lanes on Dunsmuir, but i didn't see one single truck or worker working on the streets or sidewalks. Seriously who is going to even bike in a snow storm, Moonbeam needs a kick in the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Which one's harder to navigate through? A zombie apocalypse? Or first snowfall in metro Vancouver?

I take zombie apocalypse over snowfall any day.
Well I sure hope the zombie apocalypse never comes while it's snowing in Vancouver otherwise...

[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #4091
Witness protection

Quote:
Municipal governments and ICBC are separate organizations with different mandates.

If I were the chair of the Union of BC Municipalities, I would lobby Victoria to make winter tires mandatory on all privately-owned vehicles between the months of December and February.
quebec did that back in 2014...

Winter tires are mandatory in Quebec starting tomorrow - Montreal - CBC News

... one can only hope it could work here. but then i'm also assuming most drivers outside of the gvrd have the common sense to use winter tires because they have more consistent snowfall than here?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #4092

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,256 Posts
Failed 137 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
I'm suprised they didn't shutdown the school.
In the past 15+ years of attending/working at UBC, they've shut down ONCE. And only because the power station stopped working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Furthermore, city crews knew about the snowfall, yet roads were shit out there. Wtf. Especially Burnaby.
In their defense, my coworker woke up repeatedly, eagerly waiting for the snow, but she said it didn't start coming down until 5am or so. By then the city crews were screwed. It came down too fast for them to plow & salt in time for the morning rush. If it snowed throughout the night, they would have time to work through the night.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #4093
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:

Completely agree with you. It's silly to allocate a bunch of money to buy and maintain equipment for what amounts to at most a week in a year of snow. There's tons of other projects that our tax dollars could go to.

It's funny how the people that are complaining that the city should allocate more money to plows are probably the ones that aren't prepared with winter tires. They're the "fuck winter tires - I'm not spending $700 for one week of snow". You don't want to spend $700 for one week of snow. The city doesn't want to spend $7 million on a fleet of snow plows.

My personal opinion - do what you can to cover yourself for these scenarios. Don't rely on someone else (i.e. the city) to help you out when there's a few inches of snow outside.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #4094
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 286 Times in 94 Posts
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #4095
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
got to try out some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on the work vehicle, pretty surprised by its performance. i think its an all weather tire and not a true winte, so if u guys r too lazy to swap between winter/summer tire this is a pretty good choice in between. was driving all around burnaby/new west and didnt get stuck once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #4096
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just remembered my trip to Beijing last year... it happened to start snowing when we were there for that week. And I was surprised since you would expect it to snow regularly there.
1) winter tires do not exist there. Asked my relatives why ppl didn't have winter tires and they were like "What are winter tires?"
2) snowploughs also do not exist. THEY WERE USING STREET CLEANING TRUCKS TO TRY TO BRUSH AWAY THE SNOW. I think I saw salt trucks. At each highway entrance toll booth, the attendant would physically shovel salt onto the road.
3) since they had no snowploughs, they had to shut down every main highway/freeway and everyone was directed to side streets

I think we have it considerably good here haha
coneZONE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #4097

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:

Last 2 winters were intense El Ninos, this year is a weak La Nina (which hasn't even started yet; expected to officially start in February). Huge difference between the two.

It's just sheer negligence to ignore readily-available climate science while hiding behind climate change as a reason to cut the budget.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 12:32 AM   #4098
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,862 Times in 3,920 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
in my short 20 years living here I only recall maybe twice where snow/ice lasted more than a week out of the year within city limits.

makes no sense for an ample amount of plows to sit idle...unless it's considered emergency I can understand why we're always underprepared.

there's even city workers here chiming in they're working non-stop

move to somewhere that rarely sees rain. Same shit happens....city comes to a crawl. Vancouverites will just laugh at that like how the rest of Canada laughs at Vancouver/Victoria
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:41 AM   #4099
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
It's suppose to be 3 degrees and sunny tomorrow, so prepare yourselves for some slick roads and do the sensible thing and drive carefully.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #4100
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 9 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
got to try out some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on the work vehicle, pretty surprised by its performance. i think its an all weather tire and not a true winte, so if u guys r too lazy to swap between winter/summer tire this is a pretty good choice in between. was driving all around burnaby/new west and didnt get stuck once.
The WRG3 is the all weather tire carried by Nokian. The Hakkapeliitta R2 is a dedicated winter tire which is on par with the X-ice3 in terms of performance ratings.
BrokenEuro is offline   Reply With Quote