REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #5301
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Let me know if it works. When I bring it up, it works, of course. I might have forgotten to publish it, lol.
The video worked for me.

And yes, that is a great tool. It takes some sweat to work it though. For that reason, it's not going to be a popular tool in the lower mainland. What if I break a nail, dawg?

I had to use my McLeod fire rake to break the ice in front of our place. Problem was, it kept chipping ice into my face.
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #5302
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
So, they were supposed to give out free salt this morning, but the salt was taken/stolen by people over night? Well, when shit is offered for free, it is expected, I guess. Can you imagine how things around here would be if we had an earthquake? All hell would break loose. Walking Dead would have nothing on the people of Vancouver.

The honour system............... there isn't a worthy emoticon I could find, so it is.
Not only in emergencies. One time Grouse Mountain was offering free day of skiing ... I was a season card holder and made the mistake of trying to go that day, worst mistake ever. Same for the first 'free' day whenever Whistler offers it.

Lesson learnt ... whenever something is promoted as free ... stay away!
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #5303
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #5304
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,249 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
At the end of the day, people will complain that the process for obtaining free salt was terrible, and forget that free salt was offered to begin with.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #5305
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
W 10th firehall just got a new shipment and gone within minutes

Edit: looks to be more sand than salt
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #5306
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 98 Times in 30 Posts
25th and Fraser all out. Chinars from all directions bringin 2 garbage buckets lol
Old 01-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #5307
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 12 Times in 8 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bad Yelp review of a fire hall by the end of the day.

1) Poor service!!! - had to shovel salt by myself, where are all the strong firemen?! 😑

2) OMG. THEY RAN OUT OF SALT - if these guys are planning on giving out salt to us, why didn't they think about bringing more. WASTED my time for nothing! 😭

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #5308
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 153 Times in 41 Posts
I wonder how much salt people are using on a daily basis.

We got 2 10kg bags for my moms house in mid-December. She lives in a Vancouver special in North Burnaby. She has a driveway that fits about 4 cars, a front and back walkway that is 20 feet combined and the sidewalk which is about 30 feet. I'm the one who shovels it the day after a snowfall and I maybe lightly sprinkle salt, throwing handfuls around like I'm feeding birds once every 3-4 days, depending on the weather. Currently all walkways are bare, cars get in and out of the driveway with no slipping and no snow tires and I haven't even opened the 2nd bag yet.

And then there are people lining up at firehalls that clearly service neighborhoods with Vancouver special style homes and those residents are hoping to fill up garbage cans or wine buckets, cause they feel they need that much.

Here is my question... How much salt do you put down, how much pavement do you have to cover and how frequently do you apply salt? Discuss.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #5309
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
i'm not surprised people chose to be salty over this
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #5310
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
I wonder how much salt people are using on a daily basis.

We got 2 10kg bags for my moms house in mid-December. She lives in a Vancouver special in North Burnaby. She has a driveway that fits about 4 cars, a front and back walkway that is 20 feet combined and the sidewalk which is about 30 feet. I'm the one who shovels it the day after a snowfall and I maybe lightly sprinkle salt, throwing handfuls around like I'm feeding birds once every 3-4 days, depending on the weather. Currently all walkways are bare, cars get in and out of the driveway with no slipping and no snow tires and I haven't even opened the 2nd bag yet.

And then there are people lining up at firehalls that clearly service neighborhoods with Vancouver special style homes and those residents are hoping to fill up garbage cans or wine buckets, cause they feel they need that much.

Here is my question... How much salt do you put down, how much pavement do you have to cover and how frequently do you apply salt? Discuss.
Lol, I've been using the same 3 bags of salt for the last 5 years. I might have to buy some more after this winter but I'm with you how much fucking salt does one need?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #5311
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Failed 18 Times in 17 Posts
You got to figure with the type of people that show up for free stuff typically, they are probably hoarding more than they need and selling it on craigslist now haha.

They really should have made showing ID with a residence in the neighborhood mandatory with a contribution to one of the firefighters charities, like the burn fund or something.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #5312
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Lol, I've been using the same 3 bags of salt for the last 5 years. I might have to buy some more after this winter but I'm with you how much fucking salt does one need?
I wouldn't be surprised if half of this salt ends up on Craigslist.

I just opened a small bag of salt (I think it's a 10KG bag) and used about 1/4 of it in the last 2 weeks. However, we're pretty on the ball with shovelling so I really only put salt down when we get the melt/refreeze and not to melt large amounts of snow/ice from not being plowed.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #5313
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
It's the difference between maintaining your sidewalks and driveway vs. letting it get out of hand.

Some people are too stupid or lazy to stay on top of their shit. If my 70+ year old, mother in law can keep her sidewalk clear, there's not a lot of excuses.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #5314
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
There was already a Craigslist ad but got flagged for removal so no point linking it now and the guy actually admits to getting the salt from the firehall, genius.

Like most of you have mentioned, how much salt does one need anyway. We had 2 bags left from previous winters and we've barely even used it. We stay on top of our shoveling and throw down a bit of salt. I swear some people don't even know the proper way to salt either, you don't need to drench the surface with salt and why are you throwing it on top of the snow? like come on

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #5315
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
^^^

How much money do people really expect to make from reselling free salt? Maybe a few dozen dollars tops, but that doesn't account for the time and labour wasted to acquire it.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #5316
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,758 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Greedy ass motherfucker was trying to take so much salt from a firehall that the firefighters had to physically restraining him.

That salt was definitely gonna be sold on CL.

Free salt at some Vancouver fire halls is resupplied after quickly running out - NEWS 1130

Last night Captain Jonathan Gormick says they had to step in when one man took things a little too far. “We had to physically restrain someone who brought a pick-up truck and was attempting to fill garbage pails full of salt in the back of their pick-up truck, which is more than what any one resident could use for their sidewalk and driveway.”

Gormick says they’ll use the honour system in hopes people will share. “We will have staff watching, but we don’t have dedicated staff standing to watch over the piles. We’re just hoping people act civilized and take as much salt as they realistically need for a residential walkway and driveway
Old 01-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #5317
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 42 Times in 16 Posts
I bet all those bags taken from fire halls are now for sale in small Chinese stores...
Special Price for you
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #5318
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Failed 150 Times in 53 Posts
reading up on the gong show that was the free salt today

some people are just pure trash

on a side note, my strata's building manager is now a fuckin MVP for buyin all those bags of salt years ago because "they were on sale"

"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #5319
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
There was already a Craigslist ad but got flagged for removal so no point linking it now and the guy actually admits to getting the salt from the firehall, genius.

Like most of you have mentioned, how much salt does one need anyway. We had 2 bags left from previous winters and we've barely even used it. We stay on top of our shoveling and throw down a bit of salt. I swear some people don't even know the proper way to salt either, you don't need to drench the surface with salt and why are you throwing it on top of the snow? like come on
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/for/5945521880.html
Old 01-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #5320
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 42 Times in 16 Posts
Oh look a real douche bag looser selling free salt, Lets all email him saying he is a looser.
What a f*&(* Douche bag
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #5321
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
if you were hoping for something at firehall 14... you are too late. their second truckload was gone within 15 minutes:

they said on the radio COV said all firehalls on the list are only getting two deliveries and that's it.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #5322
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
Reminds me of when I worked a a gas station in Abbotsford. When gas prices were $0.10 to $0.20 cheaper than the rest of the Lower Mainland, you would see certain people fill up 5-6 large jerry cans and load them into the trunk of their car. They really didn't seem like the type to be stocking up for some jobsite out in the boonies, so they were either saving it up for their own use or selling it at a higher price.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #5323
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,566 Times in 4,935 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
12 skids of Safe T Salt just arrived at Rona on Grandview Hwy and Renfrew. Haven't been unloaded yet.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #5324
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,566 Times in 4,935 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Never mind. It's pre sold. 12 full skids. Damn. I have enough salt for this year but I'll keep looking for you guys.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #5325
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Failed 18 Times in 17 Posts
This is exactly why I avoid businesses when they have free promotions or big sales. No amount of savings or free stuff is worth having to deal with cheapskates/hoarding assholes like these.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote