REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #26
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Failed 236 Times in 113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Have you heard of this happening?
Hansen's does not own a railway or rail car. They will use the same train that searail uses to go across the country.
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Yeah... neither would the manufacturers...

Oh wait! They're ALL sent by rail! In fact... a whole lot of imports come into Vancouver, get loaded onto rail cars, then get shipped all over North America.

And every single one has a bunch of broken shit on it...
Some cars are designed for it, and some aren't. There are imports that aren't.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Just upon initial hookup? I highly doubt the "bang" is going to reach the point of engine mounts breaking. I don't see it being any different then everyday driving where you hit a pothole, brake hard, slide a corner and gain traction in a rouch manner. Do you have any proof of this happening?:S
Really? You don't see a difference between g forces that are on a horizontal plane vs. vertical or lateral?

Incidentally, braking hard is nowhere close to the g-force of an impact from hitting something
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Really? You don't see a difference between g forces that are on a horizontal plane vs. vertical or lateral?

Incidentally, braking hard is nowhere close to the g-force of an impact from hitting something
Although i'm no physics guy. I truly do not follow you here. Cars will experience load forces from every direction..

And what in the hell is a train going to hit? A mountain?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #30
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 182 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Some cars are designed for it, and some aren't. There are imports that aren't.
Really? Tell me which imports then.. and I'll just prove you wrong.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #31

I think they were made of glass^^^
Old 12-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #32
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
if your car has 4 wheels it is designed for travel by rail. I used to load cars and trucks onto rail cars. They will ship all private vehicles on a bi-level rail car. They use chalk blocks that lock into the grate on the floor, one for every wheel 2 in front 2 in the back. Dont leave anything in the car! Some people will steal anything. You cant leave items locked in the trunk incase the spare tire is needed, it happens.

Damage can occur when the trains hook up to a string of cars. There are notices on every rail car that states "do not bump over 4 km/h" As for a train hitting a mountain, not exactly. Mountains how ever can hit trains, and Ive seen that devistation on a bi-level before. (land slides) 10 dually GMC and Chevy trucks just tossed like tonka toys. Space is money so the cars are always packed as tight as they can get, but the rule is no closer than 10" which sometimes gets ignored, but more often than not is followed.

Dust happens. Even when BMW and mercedes ships their cars across the country dust happens. It is not from sitting in the yard. Cars dont sit around long enough to collect dust in a big paved parking lot.

As for who to use I dont have a lot of experiance in that end of things. We dealt mainly with searail and I know they had a good quality control system in place. Anything else I might be able to shed some light on I'd be happy to
Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhall View Post
Dont leave anything in the car! Some people will steal anything. You cant leave items locked in the trunk incase the spare tire is needed, it happens.
Hahah ya, the lady at Searail told me I could leave anything in the car... But it wouldn't make it to the other side:P
Old 12-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #34
RabidMod

Thanked 1,343 Times in 484 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
if your car has 4 wheels it is designed for travel by rail. I used to load cars and trucks onto rail cars. They will ship all private vehicles on a bi-level rail car. They use chalk blocks that lock into the grate on the floor, one for every wheel 2 in front 2 in the back. Dont leave anything in the car! Some people will steal anything. You cant leave items locked in the trunk incase the spare tire is needed, it happens.

Damage can occur when the trains hook up to a string of cars. There are notices on every rail car that states "do not bump over 4 km/h" As for a train hitting a mountain, not exactly. Mountains how ever can hit trains, and Ive seen that devistation on a bi-level before. (land slides) 10 dually GMC and Chevy trucks just tossed like tonka toys. Space is money so the cars are always packed as tight as they can get, but the rule is no closer than 10" which sometimes gets ignored, but more often than not is followed.

Dust happens. Even when BMW and mercedes ships their cars across the country dust happens. It is not from sitting in the yard. Cars dont sit around long enough to collect dust in a big paved parking lot.

As for who to use I dont have a lot of experiance in that end of things. We dealt mainly with searail and I know they had a good quality control system in place. Anything else I might be able to shed some light on I'd be happy to
Are the vehicles driven onto the train, or are they loaded without turning the vehicle on? Do people ever screw around with the cars?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #35
Need my Daily Fix of RS

All vehicles are driven onto the rail cars yes. Most of the time private vehicles will be loaded by more experianced rail workers. Either way they are all professionals, usually loading 50-60 cars a day.

As for do people screw around in them, the anwser isnt the one you want to hear. It happens, most people are pretty good with not being children in the cars, some others are not and will screw around. The good thing about that is usually it is very tough to screw around due to the bosses being around and keeping a close eye on things. Chances are way very very good that your car wont get used and abused, but it has happened in the past.

This was never MY personal policy, but "through the grape vine" I heard it might not be a bad idea to leave a few bucks in change in the ash tray, expect it to be gone but if someone gets in your car to load or off-load and gets a couple bucks for themselves (i know its so silly) they will be happy and less likely to rag on the car
Old 12-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #36
RabidMod

Quote:
All vehicles are driven onto the rail cars yes. Most of the time private vehicles will be loaded by more experianced rail workers. Either way they are all professionals, usually loading 50-60 cars a day.

As for do people screw around in them, the anwser isnt the one you want to hear. It happens, most people are pretty good with not being children in the cars, some others are not and will screw around. The good thing about that is usually it is very tough to screw around due to the bosses being around and keeping a close eye on things. Chances are way very very good that your car wont get used and abused, but it has happened in the past.

This was never MY personal policy, but "through the grape vine" I heard it might not be a bad idea to leave a few bucks in change in the ash tray, expect it to be gone but if someone gets in your car to load or off-load and gets a couple bucks for themselves (i know its so silly) they will be happy and less likely to rag on the car
Thanks, I think I'll do that actually. I'd rather give them a couple bucks than spend thousands replacing my clutch and diff .
Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #37
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Failed 2,239 Times in 545 Posts
Anyone ever use ABR Shipping? http://www.abrshipping.com. Quoted me $1,100 via train... OR $1255 by transporte truck. From here to Waterloo Ontario.

also contacted http://www.autorail.com/ and cost $1500 just by train.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Really? Tell me which imports then.. and I'll just prove you wrong.
Fact of the matter is that a manufacturer shipping by train can take precautions that an individual owner cannot. Just like shipping on a RO-RO vessel where the vehicle's paint is protected by film, a car shipped by rail may have spacers and braces placed at strategic parts to prevent damage when the rail cars collide. I have heard far too many horror stories to ever consider shipping any of my vehicles by rail - and I've shipped my car across the country 3 times. I used a service that was expensive, but they took great care of my car.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #39
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just hire Dana Carvey to drive your Saab across country.
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Fact of the matter is that a manufacturer shipping by train can take precautions that an individual owner cannot. Just like shipping on a RO-RO vessel where the vehicle's paint is protected by film, a car shipped by rail may have spacers and braces placed at strategic parts to prevent damage when the rail cars collide. I have heard far too many horror stories to ever consider shipping any of my vehicles by rail - and I've shipped my car across the country 3 times. I used a service that was expensive, but they took great care of my car.
You've never experienced a "bump"/"jolt"/"jeer" while driving? Me impresso.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #41
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
a car shipped by rail may have spacers and braces placed at strategic parts to prevent damage when the rail cars collide
no, they do not have spacers or braces anywhere. All vehicles shipped by rail are shipped the exact same. Your 89 honda civic will be shipped the exact same as a brand new top of the line benz
Old 12-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #42
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 182 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
So, you don't have any real information on import manufacturers then that DON'T ship by rail... to back up your previous claim (yeah, I'm shocked..). You obviously don't have a clue about rail transport.

Unless they derail or crash... which, contrary to popular belief, happens very rarely... Rail cars don't "collide" any worse than you drive a car on the street. In fact, I'd say you're probably going to do much worse damage driving your car every day with crummy roads than the forces a car in a rail car experience.

Excessive buff and slack forces are taken up by the coupler and drawbar. And car carriers (autoracks, FYI!) are gentler by design. Your TV, computer, and all the shit you own probably came by rail somewhere along the way... and the containers they got transported in get treated way worse than the autoracks do.

So STFU when you clearly don't have a clue.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #43
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Anyone ever use ABR Shipping? http://www.abrshipping.com. Quoted me $1,100 via train... OR $1255 by transporte truck. From here to Waterloo Ontario.

FUCK!!

Why didn't you say something earlier, my car just got picked up yesterday morning to go on the train

AND I have to drive it to Waterloo myself from Toronto =(. AND I have to have a separate taxi bring my luggage from Toronto because my car won't fit jack shit in the trunk.
PS. You got PM
Old 12-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 49 Times in 32 Posts
LOL you guys going to RIM?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #45
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 7 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post

http://www.transportreviews.com/review/00067059.asp
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #46
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ITR View Post
Holy fuck good to know.