REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #426
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Does anyone know if the Canada Place location has the iris scanner?
Yes, and they will also take a full head shot as well
Advertisement
Gamed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #427
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I got a question about returning back to Canada in a car using a Nexus lane, so you go up and do the usual scan the card and talk to the border guard, you verbally do a declaration of the amount of goods, say ~$300 for 2 people and it was only a day trip so technically you have to pay duty on everything that isn't exempt ... is it a guarantee that you will have to go in and pay thru Nexus or is it a hit or miss like the normal lineups where they can just wave you through?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamed View Post
I think you suppose to pre fill a declaration form prior coming back to Canada otherwise you can only verbally declare using regular lanes
From reading this forum and the Border Crossing Forum in O/T, it sounds like the paper form isn't necessary anymore. As for getting taxed- it looks like it's just like lining up in the regular line up, except that you should be more exact with what you're declaring in the Nexus lineup.

This is all coming from second-hand info on this forum. I don't have my Nexus card (yet), so I can't confirm.

Quote:
Yes, and they will also take a full head shot as well
Excellent thanks! Saves me an unnecessary trip to YVR.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #428
Jet
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I think you suppose to pre fill a declaration form prior coming back to Canada otherwise you can only verbally declare using regular lanes
Yah that was the old way of doing it, I have my booklet still but I heard they take verbal declaration now, I just wanted to see if anyone has gone through the new way and was taxed automatically or is it just like the normal lineup where its under the discretion of the officer to tax you or not ...
Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #429
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,363 Times in 1,793 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
I have my nexus and I just do a verbal declaration. Never been taxed so far so I don't know which method you would be subject to.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #430
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
I just cross the border with my Nexus and always do a verbal declaration. As long as you have all your reciepts in hand then you're all good. I usually have them in my hand ready to hand off to them once I approach the window. I think it just makes you look better as it seems you're being truthful and ready to hand them over to them.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #431
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 25 Times in 12 Posts
I had my interview at Canada Place today. The whole process took just over 1.5hrs. There's 14 stations, but only about half are manned by both US and CDN border staff. Of the 14, only 3 have the iris scanner.

The Iris scan is done by the CDN border staff, if you luck out and get your interview with one that has an iris scanner, you save some time. I had to wait 3 times (US, CDN, and iris scan). They had issues with the iris scanner as well, some people couldn't get it scanned on 1 machine and had to wait to try on the other 2 machines. It took about 5 tries for me to get my eyes scanned.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #432
i like gifs

Wow...1.5 hours?!

My entire interview @ YVR took ~15 minutes max with finger print and iris scan
Old 01-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #433

^When did they open the Canada Place location? Perhaps it's just "working out the kinks"?

Can anyone else who's done it there add to the discussion regarding their experience?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #434
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
I just did it this past weekend at Canada place. Place looks like it was converted over from some sort of old border control area. Place looks super temporary. Whole process took about 45minutes. Yes, I had to wait 3 times as well.
Posted via RS Mobile
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #435

Yes, I heard from everyone else who had their Nexus interviews at the airport say that it only took 15mins. Since we booked time slots, I was expecting we would have a scheduled appointment with the US and CDN staff. Instead, you check in and wait til your number is called, similar to how it's run at a passport office.

I think the iris scan was the hold up, as they only had 3 scanners and it took multiple attempts on different machines for some ppl to get scanned.

Overall, it wasn't too bad. My original appointment was in April at the airport so I saved a lot of time by switching to Canada Place. My notification letter says it's a temp location, open from Jan 20 to Feb 20 only.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #436
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
I verbally claim all the time in Nexus lane, none if that pre-written crap. I get my packages sent there, bring a copy of receipt. Show it & go.
thegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #437

Had my Nexus interview last Tuesday. Got my Nexus card today. Sweet!

So is there any need to fill out the forms when declaring items, say if you are bringing back over $300 on a day trip? I read the Nexus booklet that they hand out during the interview. The info must be outdated because it doesn't mention verbal declarations.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #438
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,285 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
I've been declaring verbally for quite some time regardless of value.

The only time I got in shit was when there was a huge line-up and that was maybe once on a Saturday afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #439
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
They should have told you in the interview that a verbal declaration is now acceptable.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #440
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveth View Post
They should have told you in the interview that a verbal declaration is now acceptable.
Posted via RS Mobile
I specifically asked them regarding written/verbal declaration and they told me that verbal is fine now. Helps cut down on a lot of the paperwork and to reduce waiting time
Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #441
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quick Question: Can you use nexus on the same day when you just activated the card say like 2,3,4 hours prior entering? haha
Gamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #442

Just did my interview at CP. The iris scanners stopped working so they gave me a slip to bring to any office. Was brought to CBSA 10 mins early (took 30 seconds), then US side took a bit longer to take me in but only took 2 mins to question me.

By the way- the confirmation letter and interview page do not explicitly say "bring your cititzenship/birth certificate". It really just says that you bring your passport (assuming you used that for your application process) and the letter. I say this because my fiancee has to go back within 30 days and show them her citizenship card. I happened to bring my just in case and was able to get it all done and ok'd.

So the moral of the story is to bring your citizenship/birth certificate just in case.

Also, I asked about verbal declaration. The CBSA officer said the official rule is to use the declaration slips. She mentioned that she had never asked for them and always took verbal declarations, but didn't want to say that it was all good in case I got a shitty/new officer insisting I have one on hand. So she said just have one ready just in case you get that one noob officer.

Quote:
Quick Question: Can you use nexus on the same day when you just activated the card say like 2,3,4 hours prior entering? haha
From my acceptance letter:

Quote:
We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), NEXUS program membership has been approved. You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new NEXUS card.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #443
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Failed 153 Times in 85 Posts
renewal application approved. It took just over a month i think to get approved.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #444
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
Failed 87 Times in 28 Posts
wow. don't ever take the guards advice to smile in the picture. i did and it looks horrible.
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #445
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
wow. don't ever take the guards advice to smile in the picture. i did and it looks horrible.
pic or it didn't happen lol

Quote:

Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #446
Mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
pic or it didn't happen lol
lol i'll fb it hahaha
97 Civic CX (POS)

Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #447
I STILL don't get it

Failed 44 Times in 8 Posts
Im having my interview tomorow and just wanted to know what kind of question they'll ask me? Is it just the oh why do you need it, how often you go type of questions?
Posted via RS Mobile
domco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #448
Mod.

i was asked why i wanted a nexus by both us and cad customs. us asked me if any of my family members had one. that was all the questions
97 Civic CX (POS)

This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #449

I just got my card. God damnit I'm almost looking sideways. I can't believe that the guard let it pass. When you go to use it, do you just point it facing towards the scanner and it'll notify you when it registers?

As for my interview- CBSA just handed me my pamphlet. US Customs asked why I wanted it, and why my hands were dry (I wasn't registering good fingerprints...)

This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #450
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I just got my card. God damnit I'm almost looking sideways. I can't believe that the guard let it pass. When you go to use it, do you just point it facing towards the scanner and it'll notify you when it registers?

As for my interview- CBSA just handed me my pamphlet. US Customs asked why I wanted it, and why my hands were dry (I wasn't registering good fingerprints...)

when going southbound just wave the card at the sensor. There is a digital counter beside it with 0. Once you wave it, it should goto 1 or however many cards you swipe.

Quote:

This post thanked by: