REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #476
Jet
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Does anyone have experience with Nexus and the I-94? I understand if your I-94 expired, then you can not use the Nexus lane. If we use the regular lanes and then go inside the office, are we allowed to use the Nexus lane inside (basically fast traks you to the front of the line).

Also, once we get the renewed I-94, are we allowed to use the Nexus lane coming back to Canada or do we have to reactivate the Nexus card in GOES first?
I-94 is an annoying cash grab that you will need to renew every 6 months(?) and you will have to go in for that, I haven't heard anything about fast tracking inside but it might happen as all you need to do is pay them to get it renewed and be on your way, there should not be any questioning since its pretty straight forward ...

I-94 is only for the US side so you can use the Nexus card going back to Canada no problem.
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #477
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 25 Times in 12 Posts
The I-94 expires after 90 days. It's a pain in the ass. I guess the next time we go, we'll go through the regular lanes (inside/outside) and ask the US customs office what the deal is.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #478
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
Anybody go thru renewal process.. Mine is expiring towards the end ofthe year, do iI have to wait till then and go thru the whole process?
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
you need to renew 60 days prior to expiry date. The sooner the better, since there is long waits for interviews.
You may not need an interview if your information on the GOES website (such as address, passport number if you used it) hasn't changed. But you won't know that until you start the process. So get it done early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I was wondering about the Nexus lane, are you only allowed to use cars you have registered or can I borrow my brother's car (which isn't registered) for the day to go through the border through Nexus?
There's no more car registration linked to your NEXUS card, so you just need the card and that's it. That said, everyone in the vehicle has to have NEXUS. But I'm sure you already knew that.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #479
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Finally got my nexus, first time this weekend, do I actually have to stop at the reader to wait for it to read or does it usually just read it when the car is in motion?

Also watched a video where people are holding the card out their window when they do the x-ray, is that necessary?
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #480

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Finally got my nexus, first time this weekend, do I actually have to stop at the reader to wait for it to read or does it usually just read it when the car is in motion?

Also watched a video where people are holding the card out their window when they do the x-ray, is that necessary?
i've only used mine a couple times so far. but each time i'll pull up to the reader and by the time i fully extend my arm out the window, i see the counter work. the counter hasn't worked when i have the card around my steering wheel, so yes, I think you have to stick your card out the window.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #481

Yup you can try and roll through it with your arm out the window, but the guard might think you're a weirdo.

Like someone mentioned, the Canadian side has no counter. So just stop, wave for 5 seconds, then go ahead and hope it read properly lol
Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #482
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Failed 124 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post

Going south the American's have a digital readout that shows how many times your card had been read. Hold it out the window about 6 inches from the reader and the number will change, don't roll through. Also don't put it away right after its done reading, sometimes the guard may want to look at your card, other times not(especially in regular lanes).

On the way back North the Canadian's do not have a digital readout so just hold it up to the white square for a couple of seconds and move forward, if it doesn't read there is another white plate at the booth and the guard may ask you to try again(they should tell you if it didn't read).

But for both you do need to stick your arm out and put the card in front of the readers.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #483

Since we're on the topic of card reading....Does it matter which way the card is facing the reader and does we need to show each card individually?

or can you just put all the cards in a stack and stick them out the window until the counter goes up

I guess what will help answer my question is....are the readers strictly through radio frequency? or is there a camera element to it?
Old 03-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #484
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
I usually don't cross over on weekends because its usually busy but I had nothing to do today so I went across just for the hell of it. One thing I noticed is at peace arch, they have 2 nexus lines going to the states and only 5 regular lines. That made for a quick 2 minute line up for nexus and 45 for everyone else. I ended up going to Bellingham Costco just to check it out to see what's on sale. Goodyear wiper blades were 5 bucks each for any size, which is a steal, usual price is 8. The amount of people in Costco was insane, I expected the cashier line to be long but it wasn't. On my way back I usually cross back at pacific border but I had to get gas for my dad so I stopped in Blaine by peace arch and filled up some jerry cans. The estimated time was 1 hour to cross back at peace arch instead of 20 at pacific border crossing. I went to peace arch and they only had one nexus lane entering Canada, it took all 2 minutes to get over in the nexus lane.

Another thing, just before the pacific border crossing exit they have a place for emergency cars to make u turns. State patrol was just chilling there with his radar gun. I saw him both times today, so slow down. The limit is 70mph which is already pretty quick.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveth View Post
I usually don't cross over on weekends because its usually busy but I had nothing to do today so I went across just for the hell of it. One thing I noticed is at peace arch, they have 2 nexus lines going to the states and only 5 regular lines. That made for a quick 2 minute line up for nexus and 45 for everyone else. I ended up going to Bellingham Costco just to check it out to see what's on sale. Goodyear wiper blades were 5 bucks each for any size, which is a steal, usual price is 8. The amount of people in Costco was insane, I expected the cashier line to be long but it wasn't. On my way back I usually cross back at pacific border but I had to get gas for my dad so I stopped in Blaine by peace arch and filled up some jerry cans. The estimated time was 1 hour to cross back at peace arch instead of 20 at pacific border crossing. I went to peace arch and they only had one nexus lane entering Canada, it took all 2 minutes to get over in the nexus lane.

Another thing, just before the pacific border crossing exit they have a place for emergency cars to make u turns. State patrol was just chilling there with his radar gun. I saw him both times today, so slow down. The limit is 70mph which is already pretty quick.
Posted via RS Mobile
I went to Bellingham Costco yesterday as well. Never again. It made Willingdon Costco in peak hours look like a walk in the park.

On the topic of TDCs: I'm a real stickler for rules, so I always have a TDC ready just in case I'm asked for one. Have any of you been asked to produce one? I'm 0/2 so far and I'm beginning to think it's a waste of paper.

I also noticed that with longer regular waits, the Nexus guard usually rolls you through just asking simple questions. I'm finding that if I don't say I spent north of $500 per person for a day trip they won't bother asking me to drop in to pay taxes. Has that been the same for everyone else?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #486
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Since we're on the topic of card reading....Does it matter which way the card is facing the reader and does we need to show each card individually?

or can you just put all the cards in a stack and stick them out the window until the counter goes up

I guess what will help answer my question is....are the readers strictly through radio frequency? or is there a camera element to it?
The NEXUS uses the same RFID technology that credit cards use. No cameras are involved when interrogating the card.

The orientation of the card doesn't matter, but they do need to be separated and scanned individually.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
The NEXUS uses the same RFID technology that credit cards use. No cameras are involved when interrogating the card.

The orientation of the card doesn't matter, but they do need to be separated and scanned individually.
How sure are you about scanning individually? I've only gone through with 2 ppl at most. I hold both cards in 1 hand, pictures face the reader, and the counter jumps to 2 right away.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #488
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
How sure are you about scanning individually? I've only gone through with 2 ppl at most. I hold both cards in 1 hand, pictures face the reader, and the counter jumps to 2 right away.
Posted via RS Mobile
I guess I'm wrong then! I haven't used multiple passes at the border myself.

I carry multiple RFID cards daily (credit card, access pass for work, gym card, school and other ID) and have always had to separate the cards for them to work. I always have at least three in my wallet.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #489
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
No they don't.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #490
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
On the topic of TDCs: I'm a real stickler for rules, so I always have a TDC ready just in case I'm asked for one. Have any of you been asked to produce one? I'm 0/2 so far and I'm beginning to think it's a waste of paper.

I also noticed that with longer regular waits, the Nexus guard usually rolls you through just asking simple questions. I'm finding that if I don't say I spent north of $500 per person for a day trip they won't bother asking me to drop in to pay taxes. Has that been the same for everyone else?
I used to do what you did when I first got my Nexus -- always used to carry a TDC with all the info filled in each time I come back in my car. However, I find that most of the time if I am not bringing back a significant amount of stuff (in terms of $$ value), the CBSA officer seems to actually prefer a simple verbal declaration and just wave me through. As a matter of fact, there were a few occasions when I tried to give the CBSA officer the TDC right off the bat and he refused it -- instead, he asked me verbally and waved me through when he deemed that the $$ amount I was bringing back wasn't worth their time to tax it.

Thus far, I have never been asked to produce a TDC. However, the TDC is infinitely helpful when I am bringing bigger ticket items back into Canada. During the crossing, I do the verbal declaration first, telling the officer what I am bringing back and how much it is. Then I hand him my completely filled out TDC. So far it has worked like a charm for me, and he just waves me through after taking the TDC. Sometimes I get charged tax and duty afterwards, and sometimes nothing comes out of it even though they've taken my TDC. I say it's a win-win for everyone involved. During those times, I am reasonably certain that if I didn't have the TDC for him, I would have been called in and asked to pay taxes. Getting taxed is always something I am prepared to do, but not needing to waste time is a major bonus. And, the occasional times when I don't get taxed because of the TDC just makes it even nicer.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #491
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Failed 124 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:

As mentioned before there is no camera involved.

When you have more than one card to scan, just fan the cards out in your hand and they should scan. I was told during the interview to hold your picture since the RFID chip is on the opposite side.

Last trip south the reader picked up my card before my arm was out the window...

Last edited by ruthless; 03-13-2014 at 07:32 PM.
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #492
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Failed 153 Times in 85 Posts
bumped my interview from may to this weekend.

They sent a email about new spots opening up for march to help speed things up at the canada place office.

Quote:
Our records indicate that you have scheduled an appointment to finalize or renew your NEXUS membership at one of the following Enrollment Centers in the upcoming months: Vancouver International Airport, Downtown Vancouver or Blaine, WA.

In order to assist with quicker processing of new and existing members, we would like to provide you the option of re-scheduling your appointment to an earlier appointment at the temporary Canada Place Enrollment Center. The enrollment center is located at the Canada Place Cruise Ship Terminal at 999 Canada Place, Vancouver, BC V6C 3T4. The enrollment center will be open Monday – Sunday, 8AM to 6PM. Please note that these new appointments are currently available on the GOES Scheduler under the location “Canada Place”.

There are a limited number of appointment slots available on a first come, first serve basis from March 11th to March 21st, 2014.

Applicants must schedule an appointment. If you wish to reschedule your current appointment to an earlier date, please log onto your GOES account at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes and select "Reschedule Appointment". At that time, you will be able to view the available appointments.

Once you select a new appointment and "Confirm", your appointment will automatically be changed to the new date.

This e-mail has been sent as an advisory. If you do not wish to change your current appointment, no further action is required. Thank you for your interest in the NEXUS program on behalf of US Customs and Border Protection and Canada Border Services Agency.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #493
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,779 Times in 957 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
So just stop, wave for 5 seconds, then go ahead and hope it read properly lol
this is me everytime lol i didnt know there's some sort of counter...

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #494

There isn't on the Canadian side lol. US side is much more informative!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #495
MOD

Renewal interview was nice and fast. I was in and out in 10 minutes. I was their last appointment.

Quote:

Old 03-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #496
Banned By Establishment

Failed 115 Times in 24 Posts
Thought I would add the link in here as well since it affects us nexus card holders:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69395...g-tickets.html

Last edited by racerman88; 03-29-2014 at 01:57 PM.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #497
MOD

we tried waving 4 nexus cards at the senor and it worked. Spread the cards out and wave them and the sensor should pick it up. You dont have to wave them one at a time.

Quote:

Old 04-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #498
I'm invisible

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
Does anybody know or experienced the following:

My parents, also nexus members, are going on a Alaska cruise and then arriving in Seattle. They will be away for more than 48 hours. My parents want me to pick them up and they also want to buy a case of beer. If I'm going down on a one-day trip using the Nexus card, and we are coming back together in the Nexus lane, will the Nexus guard hassle us for the alcohol because I'm going down for the day?
Posted via RS Mobile
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #499

^ I think it'll depend on how much alcohol you bring back. the allowance for your parents only or some for you too.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #500
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
Does anybody know or experienced the following:

My parents, also nexus members, are going on a Alaska cruise and then arriving in Seattle. They will be away for more than 48 hours. My parents want me to pick them up and they also want to buy a case of beer. If I'm going down on a one-day trip using the Nexus card, and we are coming back together in the Nexus lane, will the Nexus guard hassle us for the alcohol because I'm going down for the day?
Posted via RS Mobile
You shouldn't have any issues because your parents are there for 48+ hours. I often come back with a bottle of wine or a 6 pack after getting gas/package from PR and I've never had an issue.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: