REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 01-10-2023, 02:55 PM   #1826
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,160 Times in 1,954 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Is that really any different than everyone speaking English regardless of who or where they are? Sean Connery being a Russian in The Hunt for Red October springs to mind. I think 68style is correct in that things tend to get overcorrected but eventually it should hopefully end up better than before.
English is a tough one though, US studios want to market to an American audience, unfortunately most moviegoers often avoid films with full subtitles, so I somewhat understand that point. The general idea is that you're in the character's head, so the linguistic understanding is automatic (allowing them to speak in English).

All Quiet on the Western Front was a recent excellent Netflix movie though, spoken in German from a German perspective. I'd like to see more of those types of films, it's unfortunate they're not popular to the Western market though.

You are both right, it does seem like the proverbial pendulum is swinging back, I hope it continues in that direction before these studios tank their IPs (looking at you Marvel).
Advertisement
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 02:57 PM   #1827
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
At the end of the day it's still a Disney show, so they didn't go full-on HBO with it.

Lol, Pam & Tommy was also released on Hulu/Disney+, and that had an animated talking dick...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 02:59 PM   #1828

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
YUE JUS WANNA KEEP ERRYTHING THE WAY IT WAS OLD MAN

Variations on that lol

Also being white didn't help me out much
I'm black (and white), and I'm coming from the perspective of not liking it.

To be honest it's more offensive to me seeing a diverse character or characters being added simply to checkmark the ESG "box" without fleshing out the character or providing a good written story to explain them belonging there.

It just seems that so many of these studios are doing just that, which like I said is more insulting to someone that's a minority. It comes off as feckless and ingenuine.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 03:00 PM   #1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Lol, Pam & Tommy was also released on Hulu/Disney+, and that had an animated talking dick...
Another great series, 9/10.
Old 01-10-2023, 03:12 PM   #1830
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,855 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
I'm black (and white), and I'm coming from the perspective of not liking it.

To be honest it's more offensive to me seeing a diverse character or characters being added simply to checkmark the ESG "box" without fleshing out the character or providing a good written story to explain them belonging there.

It just seems that so many of these studios are doing just that, which like I said is more insulting to someone that's a minority. It comes off as feckless and ingenuine.
I agree completely, I was using the example of Rose from Star Wars... they did NOTHING with her character, hung the poor actress out to dry, didn't give her any background or anything and to me it was Disney going "LOOK everyone! We put an asian female in this movie" and it came of as so disingenuous I felt like it was kind of a slap in the face to people who wanted changes.

Then again, my asian GF totally disagrees with me... she loved that character being there and she said I'm being needlessly pessimistic. I'm not sure I'm convinced of that.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 03:46 PM   #1831
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
The show is actually pretty tame, no tits, no dicks, nothing.

At the end of the day it's still a Disney show, so they didn't go full-on HBO with it.

So no worries, you won't be seeing any flaccid rubber cocks
Oh.. pass
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 03:58 PM   #1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I agree completely, I was using the example of Rose from Star Wars... they did NOTHING with her character, hung the poor actress out to dry, didn't give her any background or anything and to me it was Disney going "LOOK everyone! We put an asian female in this movie" and it came of as so disingenuous I felt like it was kind of a slap in the face to people who wanted changes.

Then again, my asian GF totally disagrees with me... she loved that character being there and she said I'm being needlessly pessimistic. I'm not sure I'm convinced of that.
I'm not sure why people went over that character, of all characters. So she's an engineer that happens to be Asian... There's lots of those all over the place, not just Asia! Or in a Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Note how they weren't mad about the Mystical Oriental Donny Yen character in Rogue One? Is that the only time a character can be Asian?

I get what you guys are saying, but I don't even get mad at it. Like you say, it's an over correction. But I would argue that one was desperately needed.

I do make fun of it at times. Like watching a show with my wife and sister there will be a mystery where one of two people are the bad guy. Before any clues I'll say "It's that guy". How do you know? The other guy is Black, he's white. He' the bad guy. Or man/woman or gay/straight whatever. I am right 100% of the time Watching Kung Fu, there is literally ONE white character who is a decent normal person (well two now, as of season 4). The only other white characters are villains or goons.

The times where it's actually offensive (as a TV/movie viewer, not as a straight white male) is when every single straight white male in a movie/show is a complete fucking idiot or asshole, and every woman or non white male is a normal person, or actually extra smart/funny/strong/etc. THIS is what made that Ghostbusters so bad, not they they were all women. THIS is what made She-Hulk so bad, not that it starred a woman.

So I have learned to accept that those shows are just not for me. I still think it's bad for everyone, but if they like it, it's all good. A lot of people like bad entertainment, including myself. It's still bad though, but it's hard to say that with this stuff.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 08:57 PM   #1833
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Been watching 'The Sinner' on Netflix, noticed its got like 4 seasons so gave it a shot. Its pretty good! Bill Pullman (spaceballs lonestar) plays a beat up police detective that digs into seemingly open n shut murder cases to find even more nefarious happenings

Each season is its own story arc (I'm only on s2) the episodes can be slow, but overall its entertaining

And I guess staying on topic, there is needless nudity/sex in the show
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2023, 11:01 PM   #1834
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:11 AM   #1835

Last of Us is an easy 10/10 thus far. Episode 3 tonight.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2023, 11:24 PM   #1836
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2023, 04:05 PM   #1837

Downloaded ^ yesterday.

Will report in.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:21 AM   #1838
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,768 Times in 1,339 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
The last of Us is worth watching for sure.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:44 PM   #1839

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,266 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
The Last of Us has been great, and when I heard episode 3 was getting 10's I thought oh shit things are going to pop off... And then I remembered why I stopped watching shit based off reviews. Obviously I'm going to keep watching the show but this was Walking Dead type boredom and these people who gave it 10s have been beaten by the woke stick one too many times.

Shitty filler episode.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2023, 09:04 PM   #1840
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Came across this at D+ while I was getting my weekly Bad Batch fix:

For those who are not familiar with the series, it first started life as a Japanese murder mystery manga of the highschool student Hajime Kindaichi in the early 90's. The manga itself was a extremely popular hit at the time, and I was a big fan of it since highschool. Because I used to like the manga a lot, I immediately watch the first episode of it for old times' sake, and it mostly didn't disappoint.

I'd say this TV adaptation of the manga is generally pretty faithful to the manga itself, although the length of the episode definitely puts a constraint on the complexity of the murder mystery. And much to my disappointment, the main female lead wasn't all that pretty / kawaii as is the cast in most Japanese drama. And none of the main actors look like they are still young enough to be in highschool LOL~

But overall, it was an enjoyable watch, even if I'd have to say I might be a little biased because I already have a favourable impression of the series in the first place. Hopefully I'll enjoy the entire series.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2023, 12:05 AM   #1841
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Is it just me? I don't see episode 4 last of us on crave.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:54 AM   #1842

^Crave sucks, they're always a bit behind new shows being uploaded.

If you have cable just go to HBO and re-watch an airing from yesterday.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #1843
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,807 Times in 933 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Is it just me? I don't see episode 4 last of us on crave.
It's just you lol

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:42 PM   #1844

Watched the first two eps of TLOU and agree with you guys, it's great. Will check 3 and 4 today. Curious to see what all that fuss is about with ep3. Did it have some gay couple and people are all mad about it? (Edit: watching now and actual LOL)

The Firefly logo and slogans painted on the wall.. that stands out so much as a video game thing and not something you'd normally see in a show like this.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:23 PM   #1845
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
^Crave sucks, they're always a bit behind new shows being uploaded.

If you have cable just go to HBO and re-watch an airing from yesterday.
No cable for me. Just streaming services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
It's just you lol
For some reason it was available through my iPad but not TV, so around 2am, I just casted it onto the TV through the iPad. When I checked the tv this morning around 11, the 4th episode was there. I wonder if I need to find a way to refresh the TV
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2023, 05:28 PM   #1846
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,383 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s-Hiipgf-o

For those who are not familiar with the series, it first started life as a Japanese murder mystery manga of the highschool student Hajime Kindaichi in the early 90's. The manga itself was a extremely popular hit at the time, and I was a big fan of it since highschool. Because I used to like the manga a lot, I immediately watch the first episode of it for old times' sake, and it mostly didn't disappoint.

I'd say this TV adaptation of the manga is generally pretty faithful to the manga itself, although the length of the episode definitely puts a constraint on the complexity of the murder mystery. And much to my disappointment, the main female lead wasn't all that pretty / kawaii as is the cast in most Japanese drama. And none of the main actors look like they are still young enough to be in highschool LOL~
WOW, i still have like the 4 series in my room. The story was soooo good. I re-read it countless times. I just saw the youtube clip and I couldn't do it. It just kills my all time fantasy on how I imagined the cartoon.

Man.. totally blast from the past.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2023, 09:19 PM   #1847

God dammit now I'm caught up on TLOU and have to wait each week

Great show so far. Kind of makes me want to try the game again... But then I think of the stealth missions and, nope.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2023, 10:06 PM   #1848
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
WOW, i still have like the 4 series in my room. The story was soooo good. I re-read it countless times. I just saw the youtube clip and I couldn't do it. It just kills my all time fantasy on how I imagined the cartoon.

Man.. totally blast from the past.
I never like judging people by their looks, and the Young Kindaichi series was never about beautifully drawn characters and settings anyway. But I agree that the castings disappoint because the lead characters aren't really how I would have envisioned them to be (based on the manga) -- as I was saying, they all look much too old to be anywhere close to being high school students, and that takes a lot away from how I can immerse myself into the show.

Putting that aspect aside, the rest of the show mostly lives up to how the original Shonen Kindaichi Case Files were, so it is enjoyable in that sense.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2023, 03:48 PM   #1849
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s-Hiipgf-o

But overall, it was an enjoyable watch, even if I'd have to say I might be a little biased because I already have a favourable impression of the series in the first place. Hopefully I'll enjoy the entire series.
I liked the original live action series and characters, mainly for the girl

I don't remember the series ever ending like it was left on a cliffhanger? Man gotta track em all down and rewatch em again
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:14 PM   #1850

lol @ the random appearance of a videogame boss in Last of Us

Stands out so much in an otherwise (mostly) excellent show
This post thanked by: