REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,925 Times in 762 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
Dealership scratched my bumper ...

Took the car in for some warranty-related cosmetic work... dealership
called me to let me know one of their techs inadvertently scratched
my bumper by dropping it (along those lines). They will send it off
to a body shop and it will be fully taken care of and also issue me a loaner
vehicle.

question: should i be worried about paint matching? paint quality?

this is an acura dealership so i'm assuming they know their stuff and deal
with er.. reputable bodyshops???

i do appreciate that they acknowledged it and contacted me but i haven't seen it yet.. will post pix later.

should i ask for a complimentary oil change or something ??
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Failed 118 Times in 28 Posts
Tell them you expect that they will do something to compensate for wasting your time.
n0ob is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Do they not have a body shop on site?? I would just make sure it is as perfect as it was before. Dont be afraid to tell them you aren't happy with their repair if its not up to par.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,341 Times in 842 Posts
Failed 207 Times in 86 Posts
Just be grateful that they not only admitted to it, but also fixed it. I would bitch and complain only if the repair job is bad. I bet 95% of shops wouldn't say a thing and then deny it if you brought it up.

If they are going to give you an oil change or coupon, they will offer. If you ask for it the chances are much less that they will actually give you something.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 37 Times in 9 Posts
I agree one of our guys on the island here took his S2000 into the shop and got it back with the CF front lip all scratched up. It looks like they tried to force it onto the hoist or something. They completely denied doing it, but I know the owner of the car and he is anal about being careful. I have no doubt what so ever it was done at the dealership.
ddonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
If they are going to give you an oil change or coupon, they will offer. If you ask for it the chances are much less that they will actually give you something.
That's not true. There's just a way of bringing it up. You don't really ask for it, you simply mention it to them like this, "I appreciate you guys owning up to your mistake and repairing the bumper, however I do hope something will be done to compensate for my wasted time."

After all, they aren't doing you any favours by having it repaired. They are simply fixing their error, but by doing so, they are also wasting your time which is something that they can only fix by compensating for it with something EXTRA.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #7

How much time was actually wasted? Maybe OP lives right by the dealership so it's no hassle, and he gets to drive around with free gas for 2 days............ I can understand if he lives an hour from the dealership and wastes time driving back and forth they should compensate him.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
How I Mod your mother

Failed 18 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Just be grateful that they not only admitted to it, but also fixed it. I would bitch and complain only if the repair job is bad. I bet 95% of shops wouldn't say a thing and then deny it if you brought it up.
This. Morrey Nissan in Coquitlam put a scuff into my bumper before and I had to bitch about it in order for them to agree to do something about it.
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,925 Times in 762 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
the dealership is pretty good about it.

I work about 10 mins from it so it is convenient.. plus i'm going to ask
for a real nice courtesy car. some people are telling me to demand a
brand new bumper which i find a bit ridiculous.. i just want them to insure
proper paint matching and quality.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #10

We also don't know the severeness of the scratch, maybe its hardly visible and only needs a quick polish. Unless they told you it needs to be painted?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
How I Mod your mother

Failed 18 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
the dealership is pretty good about it.

I work about 10 mins from it so it is convenient.. plus i'm going to ask
for a real nice courtesy car. some people are telling me to demand a
brand new bumper which i find a bit ridiculous.. i just want them to insure
proper paint matching and quality.
Maybe make sure that you get documentation of them repainting it, so if something were to go wrong say a year down the road, maybe fading or flaking you can go back to them
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Failed 106 Times in 40 Posts
Like others have said, its good that they owned up to it. That means they value you as a customer and want to make you happy. Just take the courtesy car and any other free stuff they offer you.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
I don't understand this shit about compensating you for wasted time ? they're fixing it, and providing you a car to drive while it's fixed ... at their expense. I don't see that they owe you anything else other than your car in it's original condition. Anything else is just being greedy.
Revillusion GT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 64 Times in 20 Posts
id ask for free lunch or touchups
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #15

Thanked 1,561 Times in 514 Posts
Failed 60 Times in 33 Posts
Yeah, They are called accidents for a reason... Shit happens, and they owned up to it.. Leave it at that... Its not like they took your car for a test drive and smashed it to bits..

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Yeah, They are called accidents for a reason... Shit happens, and they owned up to it.. Leave it at that... Its not like they took your car for a test drive and smashed it to bits..
Lol maybe they did, it's a write off and they're rebuilding it as we speak.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
lol you think too much

maybe they are turboing it as we speak
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 125 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revillusion GT View Post
I don't understand this shit about compensating you for wasted time ? they're fixing it, and providing you a car to drive while it's fixed ... at their expense. I don't see that they owe you anything else other than your car in it's original condition. Anything else is just being greedy.
i dont know about you, but i would rather of had them NOT fuck up my bumper and then waste more of my time by them having to fix THERE mistake that was 0% my fault. and entirely the mechanics fault.
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,341 Posts
Failed 83 Times in 42 Posts
I agree with some of whats posted. If they are fixing it and providing you a loaner you really aren't inconvenienced much anyway. Lets say they did the damage, admitted to doing it and told you to take them to court? You would get nothing more then the damages fixed and a rental car by the courts so they owe you nothing more and are fully taking care of their obligation. Asking for more is simply petty, now should they offer because they feel bad and appreciate your business that's something else.

Not really sure what gives with the free lunch attitude these days, there isn't one.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #20

Thanked 1,561 Times in 514 Posts
Failed 60 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggdis300 View Post
i dont know about you, but i would rather of had them NOT fuck up my bumper and then waste more of my time by them having to fix THERE mistake that was 0% my fault. and entirely the mechanics fault.
And how would you go by this?? You can't expect every shop to be 100% perfect. Even the sponsors have problems. Its a customer service business they will do what they can to help, and if your a douch thats a different story... What time is there to be wasted?? a 5 min phone call?

Plus OP is probably better off with a repainted bumper no more scratch marks from others who parallel park and bump into it.. Thats if he has scratches...

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #21

Wow, some of you guys are really naive. Do you guys lack that much business sense?

If a dealership fucks up, simply repairing whatever they fucked up on is not enough. Despite the fact they are fixing it, you are still being negatively impacted. The OP has already been inconvenienced by wasting his time on phone calls from the dealer, coming on revscene to find out what action he should take, he's now worried about paint matching, he probably has to make a trip to the dealership to get his courtesy car, he probably has to make another trip back to the dealership to get back his own car.

Repairing the bumper is the LEAST the dealership should do. Something extra SHOULD be offered by them to make the customer satisfied. You fuck up, you're going to have to give a bit extra. It's just good business sense.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 125 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
And how would you go by this?? You can't expect every shop to be 100% perfect. Even the sponsors have problems. Its a customer service business they will do what they can to help, and if your a douch thats a different story... What time is there to be wasted?? a 5 min phone call?

Plus OP is probably better off with a repainted bumper no more scratch marks from others who parallel park and bump into it.. Thats if he has scratches...
are you retarded? all the time that the car is without a bumper, meaning it wont be on the road........
that is time wasted
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ob View Post
Wow, some of you guys are really naive. Do you guys lack that much business sense?

If a dealership fucks up, simply repairing whatever they fucked up on is not enough. Despite the fact they are fixing it, you are still being negatively impacted. The OP has already been inconvenienced by wasting his time on phone calls from the dealer, coming on revscene to find out what action he should take, he's now worried about paint matching, he probably has to make a trip to the dealership to get his courtesy car, he probably has to make another trip back to the dealership to get back his own car.

Repairing the bumper is the LEAST the dealership should do. Something extra SHOULD be offered by them to make the customer satisfied. You fuck up, you're going to have to give a bit extra. It's just good business sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggdis300 View Post
are you retarded? all the time that the car is without a bumper, meaning it wont be on the road........
that is time wasted
Well however long it takes them to fix it, means he's not putting kms on his car, and he gets free gas up to like 400-500 km which is $50ish.

If it was a major inconvienence to him, sure they would owe him somethign, like an oil change or detail or whatever, but he even stated himself he lives close by and its not a huge deal.

The only thing he is worried about is paint match and quality of the job. If the dealership manned up enough to call him, they obviously aren't going to skimp on the repair proccess either.

Now if they give him his car back with an "off" color(keep in mind this is subjective because we could just be talking about a quick polish) then he has something to bitch about and it shoudl be repaired correctly/he should be compensated.

Which customer story is better:
Yea, that acura dealership worked on my car then scraped my bumper and wouldn't do anything about it
vs
Yea, that acura dealership worked on my car, then when they accidently scraped my bumper did everythign in their power to make sure it was fixed perfectly and made sure it was convienant for me by giving me a loaner.

Personally I'd rather have a business right their wrong and be truthful about it, then try and patch up their fuck up with a free oil change or something.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #24
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
Failed 190 Times in 33 Posts
You should be really thankful they even told you it was scratched. Some dealerships don't give a crap about their customers and let the car out, hoping the customer doesn't see it.

I've seen countless customers where I work where they drive really nice cars. Most who drive black cars drive off as soon as they pay. Black cars are the easiest to scratch. Most people don't walk around and take a look at the condition of their car after the service. So be thankful they told you of the accident instead of hiding it.

If you're really worried about their workmanship of the paint, don't sweat it. Usually dealerships have a reputable bodyshop they have connections with. If you're concerned just keep the receipt of the paint job which should come with your invoice.

And by the way, bitching about wasting your time won't be the best idea. If you're lucky enough, they may even give you a percent of discount. Once you complain and tick off the advisor, they might not even give a crap. And by the way, what kind of car are you driving? Some dealerships give you a garbage loaner car if you drive something like a.. what? Acura 1.6EL? Low end cars = Low end loaners. This is just what SOME dealerships do. But majority do so, so don't expect an NSX or something stupid.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Well however long it takes them to fix it, means he's not putting kms on his car, and he gets free gas up to like 400-500 km which is $50ish.
You keep talking about free gas? Where are you getting this free gas information from? Everytime I have been given a courtesy car, I have to fill the tank up before giving it back. I haven't read anything from the OP stating that he gets "free gas."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOX View Post
You should be really thankful they even told you it was scratched. Some dealerships don't give a crap about their customers and let the car out, hoping the customer doesn't see it.
Wow, some of you guys are so fucking stupid.
Let me give you an example of what half of you retards are saying:

"Usually, when someone murders another person, they don't admit to doing so. At least Bob admitted to murdering Jon, most people wouldn't even do that. You should be thankful that Bob at least manned up enough to admit that he murdered Jon."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOX View Post
And by the way, bitching about wasting your time won't be the best idea.
As I already stated, he should SUGGEST that something be done to compensate for his time, not BITCH about it. If they agree, great, if they don't, no big deal, you simply decide if you think they treated you fairly or not and move on.

Last edited by n0ob; 02-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.