REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Toyota -no electronic acceleration problem-

Quote:
By CBC News, cbc.ca, Updated: February 8, 2011 2:36 PM
Toyota acceleration woes not electronic: U.S.

Toyota acceleration woes not electronic: U.S.

A U.S. government investigation into Toyota safety problems has found no electronic flaws to account for reports of sudden, unintentional acceleration.

Transportation officials and engineers with NASA say two mechanical safety defects previously identified by the government — sticking accelerator pedals and gas pedals that can become trapped in floor mats — are the only known causes for the reports of runaway Toyotas.

Toyota has recalled more than 12 million vehicles globally since late 2009 to address sticking accelerator pedals, gas pedals that became trapped in floor mats, and other safety issues. The recalls have posed a major challenge for the world's No. 1 automaker, which has scrambled to protect its reputation for safety and reliability.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says the department's 10-month study has concluded there is no electronic-based cause of unintended high-speed acceleration in Toyotas.

"Our conclusion, that Toyota’s problems were mechanical, not electrical, comes after one of the most exhaustive, thorough and intensive research efforts ever undertaken," LaHood said in a statement.

A preliminary part of the study, released last August, also failed to find any electronic flaws based on a review of data recorders, or vehicle black boxes.

Toyota's safety issues received broad attention from the government after four people were killed in a high-speed crash involving a Lexus near San Diego in August 2009.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration received about 3,000 reports of sudden acceleration incidents involving Toyota vehicles during the past decade, including allegations of 93 deaths. NHTSA, however, has confirmed just five of them.

The company has already implemented a host of new designs in its vehicles, including a brake override system that cuts the throttle when the gas and brake pedals are deployed at the same time. The company has already paid a record $48.8 million in fines for its handling of the crisis.

In Tokyo on Tuesday, Toyota reported a 39 per cent slide in quarterly profit but raised its full-year forecasts for earnings and car sales. It's a mixed picture for the automaker, which is enjoying booming sales in high-growth markets in Asia, Africa and South America, while facing lingering safety worries in the key U.S. market.

Toyota's New York Stock Exchange-listed stock had been trading lower on the bad earnings news but was up more than four per cent, to $89 US, in the minutes following the release of the safety probe's findings.

With fiels from the Associated Press
the big news atm

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/c...entid=27592258

ho ho ho
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,254 Times in 618 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts
well the dmg has been done.. sigh...
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 21 Times in 6 Posts
the US transportation is a joke
CKLCKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Gee, what a surprise...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 83 Times in 34 Posts
Wayy too late, but good news.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 125 Times in 40 Posts
even though this had happened, my car was not apart of the recall (05' is300) neither was my moms SUV

so my entire family will still buy toyota because they are RELIABLE, 6 years of ownership not a single problem(other than a bad battery)

and you cannot beat the ride quality of a toyota.
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
10psi aint enough...

Failed 51 Times in 9 Posts
Yah, I have 2 toyotas in the family, an 02/05, and havent had any problems, except a bad battery in the SUV and replaced rear drums in the van after 4 years of purchase.

Actually been thinking of selling one and trading in for 2011 Venza (4cyl/4wd). Its more in my budget.
But recently the family has told me to pay $10000 more and get the 2011 Highlander...f*ck, its so roomy in there thats its tempting...

Quality is fair to me.
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Failed 715 Times in 210 Posts
Dumb Americans and their fcked up media.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 94 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post
Yah, I have 2 toyotas in the family, an 02/05, and havent had any problems, except a bad battery in the SUV and replaced rear drums in the van after 4 years of purchase.

Actually been thinking of selling one and trading in for 2011 Venza (4cyl/4wd). Its more in my budget.
But recently the family has told me to pay $10000 more and get the 2011 Highlander...f*ck, its so roomy in there thats its tempting..
But you're a Honda Guy
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote