REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 170 Times in 63 Posts
cbc marketplace investigation into diminished value insurance

fuck u icbc

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2011/crashandburned/
Advertisement
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Failed 106 Times in 40 Posts
Yeah had over $12,000 worth of accidents on my old civic because of multiple accidents that were not my fault. Sold it for way less than what I could've gotten if there were no accidents.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
That diminished value of georgia from an economics standpoint sounds like a hard thing to regulate cheating of the system, and I agree with the industry guy at the end that it's really hard to quantify so I don't blame the insurance companies personally. There are so many potential complications with implementing a policy like that far beyond what the investigation thinks.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 190 Times in 91 Posts
Just watched the first 6 minutes.

Given that the market will always have more risk adverse buyers/sellers than risk neutral buyers/sellers, this "diminishing value" is going to happen. Actually, I don't really agree with the term "diminishing value" or "accelerated depreciation". It's more like "risk aversion" and "lowered expectations" due to informational issues of the past AND the future.

No one (since insurance selling companies are risk adverse too) will insure against this issue since it is unobservable, unmeasurable, subjective, timing issues, etc. If ICBC insurance policies covers this as well, insurance prices will be VERY expensive.

How to get around this? lease the car, drive a beater, drive your car to the ground, take the transit, don't own any assets. When you lease the car, you are kind of sharing this risk with the dealership because you can just say "fuck it" by the end of your lease. (correct me if I am wrong though, never leased a car)
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 116 Times in 29 Posts
I watched the video. I want to start by getting one point out of the way. It is pure sensationalism to call this "The biggest secret in the car insurance biz". Canadians generally know that an accident of any significance will reduce the resale value of the car and that insurance companies won't pay for this loss. The people who don't know this likely don't know what any of their dash lights mean either and should not represent the general population.

As repeatedly mentioned in the video insurance coverage should put you back in the same financial situation you were in immediately prior to the loss. Clearly, that's not happening here. Sure, it can be difficult to quantify the "diminished value" loss but the fact remains that no effort is made to account for this portion of a claim.

My car was hit last year by another driver and nearly totalled. I knew that if I had it repaired then I would face reduced resale value and possibly ongoing repair problems. I told ICBC that I didn't want it back and had them pay me the the value of the repair estimate, plus what they were able to sell it for as salvage. This amount worked out to be nearly the actual cash value of the car before the loss, and certainly more than it would have been worth as a repaired wreck. I saved my myself the hassle of the whole ordeal.

The bottom line is that insurance premiums are calculated using claims costs (the fact that ICBC runs an ongoing surplus is a different issue). If they're going to cover this then premiums are going to go up commensurately. It won't come for free.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Failed 229 Times in 105 Posts
I have never seen diminished value being repaid out of anywhere but in Georgia. Never heard of it in Hong Kong never heard of it in Japan and certainly no one talks about it in Europe.

Cars are simply a constantly depreciating tool that just.....depreciates. You can get into an accident or you can just not change oil for years, it's a tool and when it's used it comes in its used form.

But it's an interesting watch, I used to just chalk it up to bad luck if some bastard rear ends your car.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
85jettaguy

I was interviewed for this show "Rob Fournier" and people are awarded accelerated depreciation all the time in BC. it is often rolled into a personal injury claim, or settled out of court,

but if you search through Canlii.com you will find two cases, Brian Jessel VS ICBC and Signorello VS Khan, both cases awarded accelerated depreciation in BC.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,146 Times in 1,143 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts
So if my car was totalled the next day (given that I have been in an accident prior to this event), would ICBC pay me market value or market value reduced by cost of accident?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 84 Times in 14 Posts
Unless your car is eligible for and has been provided replacement cost insurance, ICBC should adjust to replacement value - what it would cost to replace your vehicle with one of similar quality and condition. I guess in theory, this means that a rebuilt-titled car could be replaced with one with clean title, though that would depend on the specifics of a given claim.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
85jettaguy

right now ICBC doesn't acknowledge that accidents impact the value of the car,

so when they are calculating the value of a car because they have to pay someone out, they currently do not take into consideration that the car had previous accidents. Unless the car was a rebuild.

this was explained to me by an ex-icbc employee.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 8 Times in 8 Posts
Anyone know what is the maximum value damage to a car before it is written off by icbc?

Our car is less than 5 months old, and some old lady ran into us while we were parked.

We were deemed not at fault, but the damage to our car was 9500 dollars.

The value of our car new was 35,000 dollars.

Any inputs?

thanks
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #12

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe its over 70% of the cars value, give or take a little. Should call to double check though.
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
Anyone know what is the maximum value damage to a car before it is written off by icbc?

Our car is less than 5 months old, and some old lady ran into us while we were parked.

We were deemed not at fault, but the damage to our car was 9500 dollars.

The value of our car new was 35,000 dollars.

Any inputs?

thanks
if the value of the claim exceeds 70% of the value of the car, it is deemed totaled. THERE IS however optional coverage that u can buy in the FIRST year for a new car, which is IF the claim value exceeds 50% of the value of the car, it is deemed totaled. my broker told me that optional coverage is not worth the price as it is pretty expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
IMO, a bigger issue is that you pay insurance based on the year/model/milage, but you get paid out based on the condition.
So two 1999 Civics pay the same insurance cost up front, but if they're written off, they'll get paid out differently if one is a rust bucket. That's not right.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Failed 153 Times in 85 Posts
those fuckers

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
IMO, a bigger issue is that you pay insurance based on the year/model/milage, but you get paid out based on the condition.
So two 1999 Civics pay the same insurance cost up front, but if they're written off, they'll get paid out differently if one is a rust bucket. That's not right.
How is it not right, If you go buy a mint 1999 civic for $4k and I buy a 1999 rust bucket for $500 and we both total our cars why would you expect me to get 3k-4k payout? The insurance costs the same because if I damage the headlight on my rust bucket and needs to be replaced it will cost pretty much exactly the same to replace that headlight on the mint one as it would on the rust bucket
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
if the value of the claim exceeds 70% of the value of the car, it is deemed totaled. THERE IS however optional coverage that u can buy in the FIRST year for a new car, which is IF the claim value exceeds 50% of the value of the car, it is deemed totaled. my broker told me that optional coverage is not worth the price as it is pretty expensive.
we bought the so called " new car replacement policy" insurance from a third party insurance broker.

but they said its up to icbc to deem whether or not the vehicle is a total write off.

One interesting thing I found out was that icbc when they do their repair estimates, they estimate with aftermarket parts instead of OEM parts.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 44 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
thats why you dont get collision coverage on the beater and pay half the insurance
deep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
we bought the so called " new car replacement policy" insurance from a third party insurance broker.

but they said its up to icbc to deem whether or not the vehicle is a total write off.

One interesting thing I found out was that icbc when they do their repair estimates, they estimate with aftermarket parts instead of OEM parts.
yup, that is why my insurance agent suggests me to buy that middle tier optional coverage for the first 3 years so i get oem parts,
because the top tier coverage is not worth it and only covers for 1 year.

heres more info on the new car insurance thing

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/optional/optional-new

not sure how ur policy differs from a 3rd party company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 159 Times in 63 Posts
What I understand from my study to become an agent is that the point of insurance is to help u get back on ur feet. It is NOT meant to put u back to the financial position before the accident. It means it will prevent u from going bankrupt but the insured have to live with the fact that shit happens and they are also responsible for bearing the inherent risk of living in a society.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by q0192837465; 03-01-2011 at 07:59 PM.
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #21
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
How is it not right, If you go buy a mint 1999 civic for $4k and I buy a 1999 rust bucket for $500 and we both total our cars why would you expect me to get 3k-4k payout? The insurance costs the same because if I damage the headlight on my rust bucket and needs to be replaced it will cost pretty much exactly the same to replace that headlight on the mint one as it would on the rust bucket
That's a good point, but ultimately, it takes extremely little to write off the $500 rust bucket, so they really have a much lower maximum payout.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #22
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
If the accident is not your fault, you can always sue the other motorist for diminished value.

I prefer that method to bundling the policy into basic insurance, as it would cause basic rates to skyrocket on newer vehicles.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #23

Failed 84 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
That's a good point, but ultimately, it takes extremely little to write off the $500 rust bucket, so they really have a much lower maximum payout.
What are you doing buying collision coverage on a PoS? If I had a PoS, I can guarantee you I'd only be insuring it for liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
If the accident is not your fault, you can always sue the other motorist for diminished value.

I prefer that method to bundling the policy into basic insurance, as it would cause basic rates to skyrocket on newer vehicles.
I believe when you settle your claim with ICBC you waive all your rights of recovery against the other party. This is typical of insurance as in some cases, your insurance company will legally pursue the other party (or other party's insurer) to recover some of the loss.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #24
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
No, because ICBC does not provide coverage for diminished value. You waive your right to recover only what ICBC provides coverage for and has covered the other party for.

It's just like if you have an accident and want $3 million, but the other party only has $250,000 coverage. ICBC will cover the $250,000 but you will have to sue to get the other 2.75 mil. Same thing with dim. val.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:

third party insurance is a joke, save yourself the headache and purchase it right from ICBC.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote