REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 42 Times in 9 Posts
Shop ruined my car, what should I do?

Alright so its my first real post and RS, I need your help.

I've got a 1994 Euro-Spec Mercedes SL500, lowered and with every AMG option available in 95 in Germany.

At 118,000 KM's I noticed the reverse gear started having a delay in the transmission when it was engaged, however all 4 forward gears were perfect. I knew going to Mercedes would have cost me several thousands to correct this problem. I went to a Mr. Transmission shop seeing it was a chain and probably might know what they are doing, a friend of mine had taken his X5 for a rebuild and it was perfect so I thought why not.

I went to the Mr.Tranny shop and they told me a 2,500 dollar rebuild should be undergone instead of just repairing the reverse gear. So I did, and 3 weeks later my car was returned to me with a 12 month/20000km warranty

Within 2 weeks, the car started to slip in all gears and lost alot of power, I went back and again was without a car for 2 and 1/2 weeks and the transmission was rebuilt once again.

4 months later, on the way to school, I noticed the car slipped in a shift which was strange as it had been perfect till then. I pulled over, put the car into park and I heard a squeeling noise and a thud. Shut the car off and had it taken back, and again at 121,000km it was rebuilt once again.

Once again, 1:45am I'm driving home 8 months later, with 129,000km's, car slips in all gears again, squeeling noise and thuds from the transmission. Its been 3 weeks the car has been sitting in the shop.

My warranty is about to end and the car is still without a proper functioning box. The transmission shop I dont really think cares if the car is repaired at this point as long as it never comes back, when I returned for the 4th rebuild, I was told they were hoping I had sold the car off.

I dont drive like an idiot as I have to pay for my gas and tires, and going to school and doing all this just is very hard for me..

Also not forgetting to mention, my car was damaged on two occasions where a window was left open and alot of water got into the seats, and that the car was parked on a curb and the front bumper was damaged.

What do I do? My transmission warranty is about to end and its obvious that the box is not going to be repaired and will go in several months. Selling the car isn't a viable option considering how much I've done to it, only this transmission is driving me insane...Do I go to court, Do I just throw another 2,500 at it??

HELP!
Advertisement
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,636 Times in 875 Posts
Failed 218 Times in 79 Posts
take it to another shop man

it if messed up 3 times from Mr. Transmission they obviously arent doing it right

and court and legal fees are probably gonna be more than 2500 so keep that in mind unless you got hookups with a lawyer

Last edited by Qmx323; 02-21-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Failed 1,163 Times in 238 Posts
should of switched shops after the 1st mess up IMO.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 47 Times in 13 Posts
If you are not getting anywhere with the staff, and they refuse to help you, I would be contacting the head office to see what they can do.

Phone them, tough guy typing is lame, call them and be up and be straight up about the issue.

Don’t be confrontational, but let them know that the service you are receiving is terrible, the constant rebuilds are having an effect on your ability to get to and from work, and you had certainly expected more from a Canadian Chain.

Then ask them what the head office can do to rectify the problem.

Have all your information BEFORE you call. Get your drop off and pick up dates, get any invoices together than may have any information, and the names and the location you dealt with!

http://www.mistertransmission.com/contact-head-office
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
You try a different Mr Transmission to start. The one you're going to is either not giving you a straight answer, or just doing a losy job...

OR have you googled if there are any known problems with these transmissions? ie even a rebuild isn't going to fix it, that there will be more and more failures?

My buddy had a Lexus RX that experienced transmission problems. The best advice he got was to abandon the car, the transmission sucked and even a rebuilt tranny will eventually fail again.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
You try a different Mr Transmission to start. The one you're going to is either not giving you a straight answer, or just doing a losy job...

OR have you googled if there are any known problems with these transmissions? ie even a rebuild isn't going to fix it, that there will be more and more failures?

My buddy had a Lexus RX that experienced transmission problems. The best advice he got was to abandon the car, the transmission sucked and even a rebuilt tranny will eventually fail again.
All excellent idea so far thank you!

The 722.3 Transmission in my car does have a known fault with reverse, which can occur on some cars, but now after tons of research which I should have done before, that only goes bad after 120,000kms of use.

The gearbox in my car is one of the older "bulletproof" hydraulic systems and should be expected to last for 350,000-500,000 on one service life.

If the box fails again and I will still be in warranty I'll try another shop but I will be contacting head office
Old 02-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 71 Times in 13 Posts
I wouldn't take a 17 year old Mercedes to Mr. Transmission period

They probably have zero training in high end German cars -- just asking for problems.
2000 Acura Integra Type R #858 -- original owner
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Phat_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
Old School RS

Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,231 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
and court and legal fees are probably gonna be more than 2500 so keep that in mind unless you got hookups with a lawyer

In BC, any claim less than $25,000 automatically goes to Small Claims Court where legal representation is not required. The process is extremely straight forward and easy to do if it gets to that.

With that said, resolution is still a lot less painful so if you can talk with them and they'll do something for you, it makes a lot of sense. The option of going to a different Mr. Transmission is a good one as well.

Mark
Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
write a letter to Mr. Tranny head office. Someone will contact you and offer they fix their car at a "Corp-owned" location. There is one in burnaby. It will be done for free and you will receive personalized since the order is coming from uptop. If i find the person i wrote to i'll pm you.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #10

Thanked 2,636 Times in 875 Posts
Failed 218 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

In BC, any claim less than $25,000 automatically goes to Small Claims Court where legal representation is not required. The process is extremely straight forward and easy to do if it gets to that.

With that said, resolution is still a lot less painful so if you can talk with them and they'll do something for you, it makes a lot of sense. The option of going to a different Mr. Transmission is a good one as well.

Mark
woops learn new things everyday
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Failed 771 Times in 208 Posts
Lesson here? Dont buy Euro when your trying to pose and front. Simply put unless you have rich parents or sell drugs you can't afford it.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Failed 771 Times in 208 Posts
What would be the point of warranty then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
should of switched shops after the 1st mess up IMO.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
wouldnt the warranty be reset from the time of each rebuild? I dunno how Mr Tranny works and I know its a PITA but when Ive had furniture repaired or replaced on warranty its always restarted.

Id totally take ur car to another Mr Trans. and see if they are more competent.

FS 2000 civic DX B16A swap $3200obo
http://www.revscene.net/forums/fs-20...48#post7309348
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
How much is a used tranny for one of those?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Failed 115 Times in 24 Posts
definitely, contact the head office and voice your concern over this.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
I don't get it

Failed 40 Times in 9 Posts
12 month/20k km warranty should apply to each rebuild, since it keeps failing you should be within the warranty period of each subsequent visit.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 125 Times in 40 Posts
you'd think there would be a roller over warranty
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #18

Failed 208 Times in 40 Posts
try to sue them or complain to them and get your money back and just go to another shop. But. its super rare they will give the money back. Might as well go to another shop.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat_R View Post
I wouldn't take a 17 year old Mercedes to Mr. Transmission period

They probably have zero training in high end German cars -- just asking for problems.
Thats what I said to myself before they ASSURED me that they have rebuilt many Mercedes boxes and that mine should be no harder regardless of being a Euro-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
write a letter to Mr. Tranny head office. Someone will contact you and offer they fix their car at a "Corp-owned" location. There is one in burnaby. It will be done for free and you will receive personalized since the order is coming from uptop. If i find the person i wrote to i'll pm you.
I'm pretty sure this will be the only real option once I contact head office, but please if you find the number I will be quite thankful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Lesson here? Dont buy Euro when your trying to pose and front. Simply put unless you have rich parents or sell drugs you can't afford it.
It was either a "strong" european car according to the parents or no car at all. And older German cars have always been in my family so it was a given. Daddy isn't going to buy me a new SL63 for my first car....

Although some 17 year old girl down the street from me got a new SL65(maybe a 63?) for getting her N...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Used trannys go for from 500-2000, its a consideration I guess? Mercedes for a refurb box with install wants $10,958.00 excluding taxes and transmission fluid (like really, a free fluid fillup would be nice after 13K...)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
wouldnt the warranty be reset from the time of each rebuild? I dunno how Mr Tranny works and I know its a PITA but when Ive had furniture repaired or replaced on warranty its always restarted.

Id totally take ur car to another Mr Trans. and see if they are more competent.
No. Electronics are the same, once repaired the warranty does not reset. In fact, I don't know anything where the warranty resets - good to know it does for furniture.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #21
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,373 Times in 4,662 Posts
Failed 436 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
I actually laughed when I read your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
based on my haircut, maybe
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
Used trannys go for from 500-2000, its a consideration I guess? Mercedes for a refurb box with install wants $10,958.00 excluding taxes and transmission fluid (like really, a free fluid fillup would be nice after 13K...)
Tell them not to rebuild it and to buy you a used one from a wrecker or something.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #23
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 84 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
$40k up front.

More on delivery, whenever that is.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 11 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
$40k up front.

More on delivery, whenever that is.
i see what you did there
badgerx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #25
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
i would have only trust mr. transmission with domestic cars, but even that they cant handle.

I had my dad's ford explorer transmission rebuilt there. later on it needed a new valve body, then it was leaking from the drain plug because they didnt put a crush washer. The transmission seems fine, but sometimes i just feel like going to fail again because of shotty workmanship.

for euro cars... i only trust stan's transmssions on kingsway. they specialize in euro. I took my sisters audi there for a full presurized transmission flush and the service was great, they provided all technical details, and the job was done well.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote