REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #76
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 30 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Monkey Monk View Post
The only Canadian bank that does that is Scotiabank but their premiums are higher then the bullion dealers. Also you can't buy from Scotiabank if you don't have a bank account with them. And if you do buy from the local bank branch, then you have to wait days maybe weeks for them to give it to you. It's not something they keep in stock like the bullion dealers.

Scotiabank
Just so you guys know, you can now buy bullion from Scotiabank online using your credit card (no account needed). Its fast and easy though they may be more expensive than buying from a local dealer. I bought some bullion last week and they charged me spot + profit + transaction fees + shipping. I don't know if local dealers charge transaction fees though I'll let you guys know when I visit VBCE this month.
Advertisement
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #77
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,089 Posts
Failed 150 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
For those of you who buy your coins at J&M, do you guys just walk into the store and pay cash? Or do you need some kind of account? How does it work exactly? Thanks a bunch!
i know at vbce any transactions over 3k require identification.
i think you can pay however you'd like. its like buying currency.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #78
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 170 Times in 63 Posts
does j&M charge a surcharge per oz on silver. last i checked they did.

anyplace (legit) will ask for id for buying/selling anything over 3k.

vbce is still a better bet, rather than paying shipping etc. (untill unless you are tying to collect miles on your cc)
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #79

I just received my bullion purchase from Scotiabank and I noticed that all my coins/bars were brand new and my Maple Leafs are MFY 2012. In your experience, when you guys buy bullion, do shops only sell new stock? Or do they sometimes sell older/used coins they purchased from other investors? Thanks! =)
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #80
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 7 Posts
They're usually new unless their inventory runs low then they give you whatever they buy from people selling. You can also tell them you want new ones only though I don't think most people care including me. I only ask for new ones when buying limited silver wildlife maples.

You should have just bought from the local dealers cause you just pay whatever price you see on their website at the time of purchase. Transaction fees and shipping fees from Scotiabank really kills the deal.
Posted via RS Mobile
MTV Cribs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV Cribs View Post
They're usually new unless their inventory runs low then they give you whatever they buy from people selling. You can also tell them you want new ones only though I don't think most people care including me. I only ask for new ones when buying limited silver wildlife maples.

You should have just bought from the local dealers cause you just pay whatever price you see on their website at the time of purchase. Transaction fees and shipping fees from Scotiabank really kills the deal.
Posted via RS Mobile
This was my first time buying bullion and I definitely overpaid, I will buy from VBCE from now on. = P

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 01-19-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #82

edit

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 05-24-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #83
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
Can I use my CC to buy silver at VBCE?
hmmn..I get 1% cash back

As well when you sell, do they give you a cheque?
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #84

Failed 35 Times in 18 Posts
VBCE only takes debit/cash. Recieving a cheque is an option, but theres a fee for anything under $1k

and I would never buy bullion from Scotiabank. On top of the larger spread, they have a bunch of fees which make it not worth it.

For anyone living in whiterock/surrey BorderGold is VBCE's sister company and their bullion rates are pretty much identical to to vbce + lots more choices. They also do shipping.

Last edited by jeff19; 01-18-2012 at 04:53 PM.
jeff19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19 View Post
VBCE only takes debit/cash. Recieving a cheque is an option, but theres a fee for anything under $1k

and I would never buy bullion from Scotiabank. On top of the larger spread, they have a bunch of fees which make it not worth it.

For anyone living in whiterock/surrey BorderGold is VBCE's sister company and their bullion rates are pretty much identical to to vbce + lots more choices. They also do shipping.
Do you know how much this fee is when you sell bullion to VBCE? And is there no fee if the value is over 1k? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #86

i meant theres a fee ($5) if you want a cheque back for anything under $1k, no fee for cash
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19 View Post
i meant theres a fee ($5) if you want a cheque back for anything under $1k, no fee for cash
Hey jeff, when an investor sells his bullion to say VCBE and makes a profit. How does the government tax you on your gains? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #88
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
J&M last time I checked sell CHEAPER than VBCE, and buy at HIGHER prices when you sell to them! Though the differences is like a dollar or 2 only.

A while ago, me and a friend were obsessed with buying Gold, and we compared prices. We went to J&M with VBCE's website loaded and refreshing on our phones. They quoted cheaper than VBCE at the exact time, and gave us quotes on their buying price, which was also higher than VBCE.

J&M also accepts credit cards when I asked. But you get charged 1% interest if you use Credit card.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
J&M last time I checked sell CHEAPER than VBCE, and buy at HIGHER prices when you sell to them! Though the differences is like a dollar or 2 only.

A while ago, me and a friend were obsessed with buying Gold, and we compared prices. We went to J&M with VBCE's website loaded and refreshing on our phones. They quoted cheaper than VBCE at the exact time, and gave us quotes on their buying price, which was also higher than VBCE.

J&M also accepts credit cards when I asked. But you get charged 1% interest if you use Credit card.
How do you rate J&M's customer service? There are some really scary reviews online.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #90

^ really? I never really checked their reviews. I only go to the one inside Metrotown mall. I like the place! Its convenient, and well lit in the mall. not sketchy or anything.

Most of the times I went in, the service was good. Usually really nice people. But as with any store, I wouldnt be surprised if they had one or two employees who are less patient with customers.

but most of the times me and bro or friend goes in, we are sometimes slightly under dressed... and they still treat us nicely and with respect, and answer all of our questions etc.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #91

Quote:
Hey jeff, when an investor sells his bullion to say VCBE and makes a profit. How does the government tax you on your gains? Thanks!
You have to declare the gains on your own when you do your tax return
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #92
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
If the proceeds are under $1000 then you do not have to declare anything.

"When a gain is realized form the sale of personal use property the Income Tax Act provides that the proceeds of the sale are deemed to be the greater of $1,000 or the amount of the actual proceeds. Similarly the adjusted cost base is deemed to be the greater of $1,000 and the actual proceeds of disposition. These rules effectively ensure that larger gains are taxes and small transactions are excluded from taxation."

Now the question is, can you argue that each unit you have is a separate property.
IE. If you sell 100 x 10 oz bars at $300 each, will you not be taxed as each bar's proceed of disposition is $300?
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #93

I bought some silver maple leafs from VCBE today. My experience with VCBE was really good. The store and staff were very professional. They even have private booths for each customer so you won't be overheard. Another plus is that VCBE is only a few minutes walk from Waterfront station so it's super convenient. I will be buying my bullion from VCBE from now on! = D
Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 AM   #94
Banned By Establishment

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
VBCE is great but most times the line up is long especially at the Richmond location. You could be standing in line sometimes for 15-30 minutes.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Monkey Monk View Post
VBCE is great but most times the line up is long especially at the Richmond location. You could be standing in line sometimes for 15-30 minutes.
I went during the slow hours (ie. 1:30 PM) and there was no lineup at the downtown location. = D
Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #96

Have any of you guys bought 10oz silver bars locally? If so, who manufactures them? Are some companies more reputable than others? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #97
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Failed 771 Times in 208 Posts
So when u buy gold bullion how do u tell it's the real deal 99.999% pure or whatever?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #98

Quote:
Have any of you guys bought 10oz silver bars locally? If so, who manufactures them? Are some companies more reputable than others? Thanks.
Most places carry NTR and A-mark bars. I've seen Pan Am bars from time to time but not as much. They're both pretty reputable refiners, been around for awhile, and there's not much difference as far as I know.. It all comes to personal preference IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
So when u buy gold bullion how do u tell it's the real deal 99.999% pure or whatever?
It's pretty rare to come by 5 9s haha, lucky if you come by any! most coin/bars are 4 9s. If you have an electronic scale, you can always weigh it, troy oz = 31.xx grams. Density wise you'd have to go to someone who knows how to measure it. but im pretyt sure most places weigh/test density before shipping out though.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
When you buy a 1oz gold bar, they will ALWAYS be stamped with words like "PURE GOLD" (99.99), or it will just say "99.99" somewhere on it. I have yet to come across one that does not.

Each one is also stamped by a company IE: scotia bank, TD bank, J&M, canada mint, etc etc.

When you get to larger bars, such as 1KG bars, they are no longer 99.99% pure. as it is much harder to manufacture. they have a standard that is considered "accepted" when it comes to larger bars. cant remember the number, but its still in the 9X.xxx%
Old 02-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #100

What's your outlook on bullion in the mid-term (3-5 years)?

I'm predicting that gold will double and silver will triple.

I think the endgame of the current Euro financial crisis will be another Lehman Brothers moment in either Europe or America and we will see another financial crisis similar to what happened in 2008. But this time it's going to be a whole lot bigger because since then the banks have only gotten bigger (thus adding more systemic risk) and the central banks of the world are saddled with unprecedented debt from previous bailouts and stimulus packages. I think when this crisis comes, investors will rush to precious metals because the US dollar and US treasury notes will no longer be seen as safe. This is when the price of gold and silver will skyrocket. Your thoughts?

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 02-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.