REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #51
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Pass. He lacks good taste. No classic cars of any vintage.
I know enough idiots that think if they buy vintage cars, i.e. Camaros, Mustangs, E30 M3, 964 and 993 porsches they instantly have good taste.

I agree vintage cars have a certain appeal and style that new cars cannot match. However with the style comes a shitty car to drive compared to modern cars and you need a mechanic living at your house.

Driving classic cars is becoming too trendy....buy and drive whatever appeals to you....personally, I like to look and admire classic cars...but I rather own current technology......
Advertisement
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #52
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 17 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Makes me think he's a bigger douche...

There was a Dragons Den episode where each 'dragon' would take the show into their homes show how they grew up etc

and Robert took the show back to his homeland to his uncles farm where he grew up... the place looks like it never got renovated since world war 1 and Roberts talking about how he loved it there with his uncle etc... well the thing is his uncle still lives there in the crap shack with his wife and kids and aside from the tile floor (which Robert made a point to point out) his family looks like they're in desperate need for a hand out

nice cars though

(ive actually become a fan of Kevin, under that Jerk persona he seems like a nice guy a nerdy one too)
+1, I saw that episode too haha. Robert is my least favourite dragon on the show (well, tie with Arlene). He almost never makes a deal in the episodes I've watched and he just slags on the guys. At least Kevin is funny when he slags on the guys Also, once in awhile, all the other dragons will occasionally make a "charity" deal (e.g. to little kids), but I've never seen Robert do that. Brett seems like the nicest guy, but I think Jim seems like a pretty honest and funny guy too
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #53
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Driving classic cars is becoming too trendy....buy and drive whatever appeals to you....personally, I like to look and admire classic cars...but I rather own current technology......
What about a classic with modern technology?
I agree that driving Classics has become trendy, but the bottom line is that there are only so many old cars out there. Unlike a modern car, not just any chump can walk in and buy a 54' Vette. It does take a commitment of time, money, and skill to make a classic work well, and that's what makes them special. They NEED work, unlike a modern car with it's warranty and clean service dep't.

For the record, driving a hybrid is the new hotness. Imports, domestics, and classic cars almost seem to be frowned upon these days.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #54
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
+1, I saw that episode too haha. Robert is my least favourite dragon on the show (well, tie with Arlene). He almost never makes a deal in the episodes I've watched and he just slags on the guys. At least Kevin is funny when he slags on the guys Also, once in awhile, all the other dragons will occasionally make a "charity" deal (e.g. to little kids), but I've never seen Robert do that. Brett seems like the nicest guy, but I think Jim seems like a pretty honest and funny guy too
Robert has made a number of "loans" as deals rather than take equity, you need to watch more episodes. He has wanted to quit before yet the show and other Dragon's asked him to stay cause he's one of the most vocal and enthusiastic of the Dragons. You'll notice he participates in more demos than any other Dragon.

Kevin has never made a charity deal, other than to buy a single product rather than invest. I actually enjoy watching Kevin on the Lang and O'Leary exchange more than Dragon's Den.

Bret was by far my favourite, sad to see him go. Yet he and Kevin have sorta the same business background, so not much different to offer candidates. The Lavalife replacement will have a very different background from the other 4 and may make for interesting deals - kinda like Kevin (shopping channel) and Damon (FUBU) on Shark Tank have hugely different business backgrounds from the other Dragons - adds some much needed flavour.

Jim is my least favourite. He doesn't make a lot of deals, and seems to always want a high % or else backs out. His lack of risk taking without control makes him very uninteresting to watch.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
For the record, driving a hybrid is the new hotness.
Lets hope for more sports car hybrids like Porsche is doing. Electric engines have 100% torque at low rpms, so electric should make for some wicked 0-60 times as the technology gets better.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #56
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
I watched the Tesla test on Top Gear again last night and was reminded of how fast those cars are at 12,000rpm with a single gear.

Amazing!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote