REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
Failed 13 Times in 3 Posts
OEM Honda Leather Bra

Hello fellow Revscene members!

Once again I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect sub-forum to post my questions in. Not sure whether its VAC or Car Care Tech. If needed, may one of the mods/admins please move this to the correct please pretty please. Thank you kindly!

Anyways,

I am in need of some help. Here's the story. I recently got my car painted and I would like to take the precaution of protecting the paint as much as possible. I know that's some what difficult to do but I'll do whatever I can in order to help.

Now, I purchased two OEM bumper bras along with OEM hood bra. The bumper bra will not fit over my front bumper as I have a OEM front lip on my car. I have two options here.

1) Somehow sew, fuse, glue, zip tie the two bumper bras together in order to fit over my bumper and front lip.

OR

2) Stretch one bumper bra over the bumper and front lip. This can be done as I've seen it but it leads to some areas being exposed to harm by road debris.

I don't want to stretch the bumper bra so my question is, how am I able to put these two bras together?
One side is made of leather the other is some type of cotton? I only need about 8 extra inches of material to cover the front lip.

And another thing, how am I able to wash these as the inside is dirty from the previous owner? It says see owners manual for care but it doesn't say anything in my owners manual. Unless the bumper bra's came with its own manual or instruction booklet.

Thanks
Cheers
Mike
Advertisement

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,635 Times in 527 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 18 Posts
Here's the instructions from the one-sheet 'manual' for my civic bra.
I usually just vacuum the back of the bra(the white parts) with an attachment on my home vac to get rid of any sand/dirt/dust, but I've only had it for a year since new and I take it off when it rains... so it isn't that dirty to begin with. Maybe you could lightly steam clean the back? I'm not sure, probably wait for the experts to chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSC_1139.jpg (67.1 KB, 0 views)
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,228 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
The best thing you can do is get a high quality 3M type clear bra installed and skip all the leather crap (which is typically actually worse for your paint as inevitably stuff gets stuck under it between the car and proceeds to "SAND" the car).
Old 04-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 110 Times in 43 Posts
+1 for 3M clear bra if you don't want to be naked. I refuse to use all that crap and just go commando!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
I LIKE JDM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
Here's the instructions from the one-sheet 'manual' for my civic bra.
I usually just vacuum the back of the bra(the white parts) with an attachment on my home vac to get rid of any sand/dirt/dust, but I've only had it for a year since new and I take it off when it rains... so it isn't that dirty to begin with. Maybe you could lightly steam clean the back? I'm not sure, probably wait for the experts to chime in.
Thanks for the instructions! I'll try that out as soon as the sun comes out.

I'm only using this bra for short trips here and there to car shows that require to take the highway.
I'll put the bra on before departure and remove it once I arrive at my destination.
Other then that I don't have the bumper bra on at all.

I wouldn't use a bumper/hood bra or clear bra at all if there weren't so many semi trucks shooting out rocks along the roads.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
Old 04-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #6

Failed 10 Times in 7 Posts
Be VERY careful with these leather ones. They trap water like no one's businesses and will rust the crap out of the hood if you don't take it all and clean it often. Otherwise, go for it.
subwoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
I LIKE JDM!!

Sold both bumper bras and hood bra. You guys were right, the bra will trap moisture and sand, starting to rub against the paint and just ruining my new paint. I've seen it in person on another car. The paint will not look the same as well as the sun is not directly hitting the covered areas so once you remove the car bra's you'll have a slight fade. Maybe not enough to notice after one time use but I'm not risking it.

So I got rid of them. No clear bra as well as if a rock hits it hard enough I'm sure it'll leave a slight dent. I'm probably completely wrong on that but atleast for now there is no clear bra. So I guess naked it is and not driving on the highway, only little areas where I know its safe.

The only way to have true protection is to design some type of light weight translucent plastic cover for the bumper, hood and fenders.
Oh well, I just don't drive anymore. I'm purchasing another car and not giving a damn about it. I'll take care of it of course just not going to paint anything. I learned my lesson with the Prelude. Yes, I know... I'm crazy.

Thanks for all the help though everyone. I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Cheers
Mike

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 395 Times in 107 Posts
Good call. What is the point of nice new paint if you're going to cover it up?

Let the paint cure for a while, and when you feel like it go get the 3M stuff done. Or do what my friend does, and never go on the #1. He takes any other way to get where he needs to go and it's not really a hindrance.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
I LIKE JDM!!

^
Yes. That's what I've been doing ever since the car was painted in September 2010. I don't hit any highway
I'd still like to cover it up so it doesn't get damaged but I'm just too paranoid. I'm even scared of waxing it cause I don't want the wax screwing up the paint for some odd crazy reason.
No worries though. I walk and bike ride everywhere now. lol

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio