REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #51
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
so i got my eyes done yesterday... highly recommend to any1 who is having thoughts about it, as soon as they were done i could see, its fucking awesome i want to everything lol but the sun was SOOOO BRIGHT even through the glasses. the pain for me isnt much of a pain but just annoying like i have a hair in my eye and cant open it. when that happens i just take the drops ffor pain. cant really do much after the surgery cuz it hurts the eyes to read or watch tv(for me anyways) even know itskinda hard to read up close things but being able to see things is amazing!

gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #52
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Failed 1,065 Times in 267 Posts
bump. any updates from anyone? I got PRK scheduled for this wednesday!
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #53
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
Failed 1,322 Times in 166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
so i got my eyes done yesterday... highly recommend to any1 who is having thoughts about it, as soon as they were done i could see, its fucking awesome i want to everything lol but the sun was SOOOO BRIGHT even through the glasses. the pain for me isnt much of a pain but just annoying like i have a hair in my eye and cant open it. when that happens i just take the drops ffor pain. cant really do much after the surgery cuz it hurts the eyes to read or watch tv(for me anyways) even know itskinda hard to read up close things but being able to see things is amazing!
wow
how much did it cost?
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #54
resident Oil Guru

They have a promo, $1500 everything included.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #55
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Had my eyes done here Oct 11,2011. Couldn't be happier. Paid $1500 tax free all inclusive.
bad5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #56
resident Oil Guru

Well it's been 24 days since I had my eyes zapped. Things are still blurry, near and far, 'ghosting' or semi double vision. I hope things get better in the coming weeks.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #57
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
im looking to do intra-lase sbk. any recommendation where i shld go?
absolute_zer0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #58
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
i went to London eye 2 years ago and paid about 2700. I have heard good things about Coal harbour, but I have never had to pay any follow up appts with London Eye centre. They have a lifetime warranty as well, and I even went in for additional eye exams because I needed them to fill out a form for work, and they had no problem doing so. From what I believe they are the pioneers of laser eye, at least in BC.
can i use you as a referral in london eye centre/.?
absolute_zer0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #59
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 25 Times in 12 Posts
Bumping an old thread. Has anyone had their eyes done at Coal Harbour lately? I've thinking about booking an exam there to see if I'm a candidate.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #60
Old School RS

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,228 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
I had a consult at Pacific Eye Centre with Dr. Lin and was very impressed. He managed to catch a rare defect in my eye that no optometrist before him has ever been able to tell me about - which would make it very dangerous to perform Lasik on me, even though my eye is a good candidate in most other ways. He said the best way [for me] to evaluate other places is to see if they are willing to perform Lasik on me. They are a lot more money than the other alternatives (prices range from $1550 to $2050 per eye depending on how difficult they are to correct) although that includes a follow up with your actual doctor the next day.

Mark
Old 10-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #61
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I did my surgery mid September at Coal Harbour Eye Centre and while I'm still recovering, my vision is great right now. Was $1,399 for both eyes and I did PRK because I do a lot of sports and don't want the potential of the flap to open up if I did Lasik. I would highly recommend.
negged. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #62
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 61 Times in 36 Posts
Why is there such a large difference in pricing between clinics?
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #63
resident Oil Guru

Haha. If you do your research you will realize sometimes you are paying more for nothing.

After all, it's the computer/machine that does the survey. I really enjoyed that Coal Harbour Eye centre did for me. Best $1500 I ever spent.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #64
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 61 Times in 36 Posts
That's just it.

Do the doctors do anything in this process? It seems to all be automated by the machine, even the initial assessment is done by a machine.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #65
xxx

Failed 58 Times in 27 Posts
It is automated. Sometimes you pay more depending on the procedure (wavefront, LASIK but using a laser to cut the flap, etc.) but for standard PRK/LASIK I can't really see a big difference as it is largely automated. The surgeon ultimately decides whether you're a candidate but outside of that it's all up to the machine. You can argue that experience is a huge factor (and I would agree) but pretty much all the surgeons here have done over 50,000 procedures.

Anyway, I had PRK done at Coal Harbour at the end of July and it was seriously the best $1500 I have ever spent. No pain whatsoever and only had discomfort for one day where I couldn't keep my eyes open for more than a few seconds since they were tearing up a lot. Other than that one day my recovery went really smoothly.

Just had my 3 month follow-up and was able to see 20/20 each eye, 20/15 with both eyes together. I do see halos and starbursts at night but they aren't so bad and do not affect my driving. Hopefully it goes away in the next few months.

edit: I should mention that one of my friends had his PRK surgery at Coal Harbour as well a week before mine. He also experienced no pain in his recovery but his eyes teared up a lot for the first 2-3 days (he wasn't able to stare at a screen until like day 3 whereas I was able to right away except for that one day). He doesn't see halos/starbursts at night, however.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #66

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
from the time you contact them.. how long does it take to actually get a surgery date...
(time from consultation to surgery date)...
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #67

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 25 Times in 12 Posts
My wife had her consultation in early Oct and will be getting the surgery in early Dec.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
Eh for those that say that places are all the same, just how each company markets.

If that was true then why does a place like Pacific eye centre have a long standing reputation. Cops/canucks/firefighters, etc, go to him.

Friend went to him, his eyes weren't even 100% stable, he was around 22 I think?
And his vision has been great, no problems.

Maybe the more expensive doc's can recognize a potential issue, etc, will look at the health of your eyes more. Technology upgrades more frequent? I have no idea but there's a reason why there are so little negative reviews out there on Pacific. I wouldn't just assume technology is the same for all places and go to the cheapest ones.

Appreciate the updates on the places and procedure, I'd love to get laser in the future. Glasses suck.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #69
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 147 Times in 17 Posts
You guys that had it done fairly recently are lucky. I had mine done about five or six years ago and it was about 2800 for both eyes using PRK. The good news is that I'm still happy I spent the money. My eyes are still doing great.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote