REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #51
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,616 Times in 3,577 Posts
Failed 1,506 Times in 644 Posts
You gotta have some balls to buy a 50K Hyundai, but most people here are pussy whipped and buy cars to impress other people.
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #52
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Failed 15 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
well jpark, you own a hyundai so your opinion could be a bit biased.

it might be faster than half the cars out there, but at the end of the day, in your driveway sits a 50k hyundai.

they should stick to doing what they are good at, making cheap economical cars. or better yet, make good quality small eco cars and then branch out into bigger sedans. seems like they are trying to hard to keep up with the luxury brands where instead should focus doing something they are good at.
But they are expanding their small eco car market, even with their new Hyundai Accent.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #53
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 187 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
But they are expanding their small eco car market, even with their new Hyundai Accent.
exactly, and imo they should stick to that and become a #1 choice when it comes to the eco car market. im just saying, let the luxury type up to the pros.

and Roach, why would i pull shit out of my ass without testing it first. Ive test driven the tiburon and genesis. again, money can be spent somewhere else.

honestly, country of origin matters to me. id rather go with cars from EU with close to 100 years experience if I had 50k to spend on a sedan.
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #54
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Failed 1,578 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
well jpark, you own a hyundai so your opinion could be a bit biased.

it might be faster than half the cars out there, but at the end of the day, in your driveway sits a 50k hyundai.

they should stick to doing what they are good at, making cheap economical cars. or better yet, make good quality small eco cars and then branch out into bigger sedans. seems like they are trying to hard to keep up with the luxury brands where instead should focus doing something they are good at.
but there not trying hard too keep up with other luxury car brands, the genesis has everything the 5 series has plus more, it has more than a e-class, it has more than a a6 and so there trying to prove that Hyundai isnt what it use to be, their moving forward targeting different markets...they are being smart. The only problem is convincing people that Hyundai ISN'T what it use to be and that's the hard part and that's why they have the whole "come test drive a Hyundai and if you buy something else we will give you 200 cash" deal. They have road shows across America where people can test drive different Hyundai's and experience the difference. Right now imo hyundai beats the shit outta Honda and Toyota in design/quality/reliability/price and i drive a Honda.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #55
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 299 Times in 67 Posts
keep in mind, $50g is NOT pocket change. A lot of people can afford it, but do they feel the need?NO! why? because cars are the worst investment, its an luxury not a necessity. Therefore when you are dropping your hard earn money down the pitt, you better pray you are getting one hell of a bargain, and the item is WORTh the price tag.

Realestate for example, would you wonna spend $1 mill living in east van? (since one mill houses in van is NOTHING now) People around you will call you mad living in the ghetto. Where majority of people will rather spend that money and live in a better enviroment burnaby or sth, or even shelling out some extra cash and afford sth smaller in west van or whatever.
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #56
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
You gotta have some balls to buy a 50K Hyundai, but most people here are pussy whipped and buy cars to impress other people.
you guys are all putting a price on the entire manufacturer itself. yes, the genesis sedan costs that much. yes the equus costs 70k.

but let's look at other things. rwd turbocharged sport coupe loaded with standard features right in the base model with things that are usually options for what, 24k i think it was?

then you look at cars like the accent and the elantra. and for the suv's, the santa fe

you can say what you want, that i'm biased because i own a hyundai, that i don't know what i'm talking about, whatever. but prior to the genesis coupe, i had no respect for hyundai. i bought my genesis coupe because it was the best bang for the buck. think about it this way. if it hadn't been hyundai making the genesis coupe, and it had been toyota making the EXACT same car, EXACT same specs, but slapped on a price tag of 10k more on it. people would still be flocking to buy it

i'm going out on a limb to say that half of you making negative comments have never even sat in any of their cars from their newest line up, much less driven it. seems like most of you are just looking at "50k for a hyundai nothx". don't knock it until you've given it a try. you may be pleasantly surprised, i know i was. and i won't even go into hyundai's great powertrain warranty

and like roach said. if you guys really want to start dwelling into problems with specific makes, then..toyota sticky accelerator pedals? mitsubishi accelerator pedals breaking off? ford recalling 1.4 million f150's because air bags could randomly deploy?

please widen your mindsets a bit before you post things like that because i could keep going all day
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
if I had 30g, I would take a look at the genesis coupe 2.0T with the brembo brakes.

if I had 50g, I would not step into a hyundai dealership.
The only reason why i posted the link of the crashed Genesis was because of that ^^ post. The article states that even with Brembo brakes the driver wasnt able to stop. It was meant to be taken in a comical sense.

I realize that all manufacturers have faulty parts and make recalls on their products from time to time.

im knocking cuz ive tried it. when youre looking for class in a luxury car, simply put, in the current market, Hyundai isnt it.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #58
no

Thanked 6,061 Times in 1,223 Posts
Failed 221 Times in 85 Posts
holy crap lol, this thread -
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #59
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Failed 1,578 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post
last time i checked, ANY car thats lowered with a set of expensive rims will look better than stock...HRE/Iforged/DPE/VOLK/ADVAN your point?

its still a kork car

he is korean and he owns a korean car

posting a genesis with rims does not gain any brownie points my friend

BTW faster dont mean shit

does anyone gives a damn if you see a 500whp EF civic? no not really, because ppl are gonna say its still a 20 years old piece of shit, and its a civic

And just for your information. GS350/E350 starts around $55-57g, id rather shell out an extra $10g and get a PROPER luxury car

Not some kimchi made overpriced guinness....i mean genesis
so i guess,

American cars are made out of steaks
German cars are made out of bratwursts
Japanese cars are made out of dried sea weed and rice
Italian cars are made out of tomato sauce
Russian cars are made out of vodka?

you must live in a cartoony ass world.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #60
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 20 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Care to provide an example??
Posted via RS Mobile
Honda Civic:

Kia Forte:

Ferrari 550 Maranello:

Corvette C6:

Subaru Impreza:

Suzuki SX4:

Kia Amanti:

Jaguar S-Type:

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #61
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
my arguement is that is was not what i expected.

i approached a genesis with high expectations, because lots of people have been raving on it.

When i got in, i thought. So... it cant be. It still doesnt scream luxury. The controls and knobs felt cheap. The v6 engine was making too much noise, and was idling high. It really made me dissapointed that this car got so much credit, and was comparable to high end cars like a mercedes or bmw large sedans when it doesn't even come close to those types of vehicles.

I am not one to be bias and base on brands and class, but everyday i'm starting to except the concept of "you pay for what you get". If this car is $50,000's new. I would consider my options and downgrade to a smaller sedan and get a quality car like the new Volvo S60, Acura TL, Mercedes C-Class, BMW 3-Series, or Lexus IS. Those cars are all in that price range.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
Honda Civic:

Spoiler!

thats great and all...but can you provide an example of a luxury car ripping off another luxury car? Nope. its the other way around... that was my point. The likes of KIA and Hyundai take pieces from the Jag, Benz, Lexus and make it their own.

vs

I wonder where they got the idea for the grille? OR is it the other way around? Break up the Hyundai headlights into two pieces separating Hi and Lo beams. What do you get?

vs

notice anything similar? OR are you saying Benz E-class saw the genesis and copied their image? even the exhaust tips look almost identical.

Last edited by s300ae; 04-20-2011 at 03:28 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #63

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Failed 2,239 Times in 545 Posts
fuck no...

most of you are in your 20's or 30's, why in the fuck would you buy some boring ass Hyundai. Get something fun.

For 50k there are sooo many more options.

Better get some low mileage pre-owned car like Audi RS4 as an example.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #64
GG

replicas will always be replicas, just like ROTAS

people who supports hyundai and kia ....well....they own the product therefore they have to back that shit up no matter what.

Those who says its great, talk is cheap. Drop $50g first than we will see if you TRULY enjoys this $50g so called LUXURY vehicle.

Sony Bravia tv vs samsung geee....i wonder which one should i vouch for.

LG vs SHARp....hmmm seems like a tough choice
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #65

This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #66
GG

Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #67
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
And those who buys it....well...they are either korean or white folks. The end
I'm still trying to decide if you're either being extremely stupid by being racist... or quite smart in stating that Koreans and white people don't care about "face" and brand recognition...

Quote:
nah

i just think they are way ahead of themself, thinking with their new design they can sell to the general market with that price tag

I just checked lexus.ca

new 2011 GS350 starts $54g

premium package is only $4g more

ultra premium package is $8g more

Sure its not the V8 model, but id settle for a 300hp car thats quiet, reliable, great resale value and worth the price tag while sacrficing 100hp less with the beauty and stability of AWD
You're talking about a $16,000 difference. Something else to keep in mind is that Hyundai markets the Genesis as offering "the performance of a BMW 5-Series and the interior packaging of a 7-Series at the price of a 3-Series.

I'll agree that the public perception of a high priced Hyundai may not be very inviting. Look at Volkswagen when they introduced the Phaeton. It's a fantastic car that compared very well to its main competition, but people were more likely to buy the Audi A8 variant instead of the Phaeton simply because of the brand recognition and perception that "you've gotta be crazy to pay XX amount for a VW, but you're smart by paying slightly more for an Audi..." even if said cars are basically the same thing.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #68
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
replicas will always be replicas, just like ROTAS

people who supports hyundai and kia ....well....they own the product therefore they have to back that shit up no matter what.
are you serious right now? i honestly cannot tell

replica? i didn't know they made "replica" cars

and that's not the case. did you even read my post? i didn't buy my coupe because i hyundai

and by your statement, we should assume all apple owners support apple products, even if shit breaks on the second day? uhhh yeah, not exactly. if the product sucks, there will be no "backing up because they own it". i don't know where you got that mentality. i guess you back up every brand you own simply because you own it, even if it breaks down 30 times within 2 months of owning it
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #69
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 20 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
thats great and all...but can you provide an example of a luxury car ripping off another luxury car? Nope. its the other way around... that was my point. The likes of KIA and Hyundai take pieces from the Jag, Benz, Lexus and make it their own.

vs

I wonder where they got the idea for the grille? OR is it the other way around? Break up the Hyundai headlights into two pieces separating Hi and Lo beams. What do you get?

vs

notice anything similar? OR are you saying Benz E-class saw the genesis and copied their image? even the exhaust tips look almost identical.
Well...the tail lights on the new 2011 5-series look pretty similar to the tails on the 1st gen G35..Then there's the LS460 and the 7-series. Fact of the matter is there are copycats across the board.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #70
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 64 Times in 12 Posts
you know how when you walk into a clothing store and you find the latest "trend" fashion?

well that works the same for the automotive industry.

one will start something that catches on and the other manufacturers will take clues and incorporate it to their own designs. designers take inspiration from other designs (unless you are chris bangle of course)

BMW came up with the iDrive (i know it's not "design" related), Audi standardized LED DRL's and now EVERYONE is doing it. any bulges on the hood, fender and similar lines on a car all fall down to trend.

while ago someone posted the new MB C-class coupe. and what did everyone say?
"oh it looks like a honda accord coupe"
do you HONESTLY think that the designers at MB looked at the accord coupe and decided to copy the design?

http://youtu.be/u613pJSLcfk

just like your girlfriend's spring 2011 collection, cars go through the same process. what was HAWT last year may not be so good looking this year. that's why you find older cars look outdated.

in the mid 90's when a lot of the cars had pop-up headlights, did everyone go ape shit on how they copied the first car ever to come with pop-up headlights?

i don't think so.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #71
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,166 Posts
Failed 68 Times in 23 Posts
replica cars? I thought we were discussing Hyundai...not Geely
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #72
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
they have to??

Like what kT said about apple...
Before I got my iphone4, I had only used my friends'. A "test-drive", if you will. I was looking for things that would convince me NOT to buy it. Yeah, there were some, but I decided to get it in the end.
So I bought it and used it everyday. (no shit.) Naturally, I found a lot more things that I don't like about it. (jailbreaking fixed some quirks ) Had i known of and experienced the downsides (that i only learned of afterwards) before buying, I probably wouldn't have bought it. But because I did, I found out what a great phone it actually is by having it use it everyday.

Because they own it, they're ABLE to back it up.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #73
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,146 Times in 1,143 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts
i hate that steering wheel...

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #74
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Failed 195 Times in 67 Posts
I'd buy an Equus. Used.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #75
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 52 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
last time i checked, ANY car thats lowered with a set of expensive rims will look better than stock...HRE/Iforged/DPE/VOLK/ADVAN your point?

its still a kork car

he is korean and he owns a korean car

posting a genesis with rims does not gain any brownie points my friend

BTW faster dont mean shit

does anyone gives a damn if you see a 500whp EF civic? no not really, because ppl are gonna say its still a 20 years old piece of shit, and its a civic

And just for your information. GS350/E350 starts around $55-57g, id rather shell out an extra $10g and get a PROPER luxury car

Not some kimchi made overpriced guinness....i mean genesis
Fobman is offline   Reply With Quote