REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #126
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 24 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
LOL, your making hyundai sound like crooks. First with the whole " long warranty is a marketing scheme" and then in the other thread " just because they advertise good paint quality doesnt mean its true"...Hyundai is a HUGE company and they are making fine cars right now and all there trying too do is get the word out that hyundai isn't what it use too be that being said they wont ruin there reputation with false advertising.

You just need too accept the fact that Hyundai is making awesome cars and that all of its competitors are shitting there pants right now. END
Being a huge company doesnt mean they dont lie. Advertisements is all marketing to get you to buy their products thus companies will go to all extents to bring customers over. It is also legal in the US to compare your product with other competitors products in advertisements. They can compare an old CLS paint and their new vehicle paint and it will be completely valid despite years of differences in technology. They also do not have any fact to back the fact that their paint is better. The video they shown... nearly ever car manufacturer these days go through the same process. They first dip the whole body for anti corrosion and magnetize the body then spray with robots with magnetize paint so that it sticks.
So you need to first understand the goal of advertisement and marketing before you start trusting everything you see. It is a common mistake that everyone makes, trusting into advertising too much and clouded from making right decisions or knowing the right facts.
It is no mistake that Hyundai is growing and getting better, but not knowing the right facts as a consumer is bad for any current and future decisions you make. And I am not trying to bash you or anything but as I said everyone makes this mistake. News reports are also bias believe it or not, so it is important to dig deeper and understand it and not take everything word for word.

Also huge companies like Porsche also had lots of problems with debt, you see them doing well but infact they were in debt when they bought out VAG. Now you see VAG buying them out instead.
Another example, Mitsubishi nearly went bankrupt cuz of hiding things many years back. They're one of the largest manufacturer in Japan and the Mitsubishi Group is also fairly big.
So you see now, being a big company means nothing in terms of creditability.
Advertisement
kyoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #127
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 95 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Hyundai however has Audi's old designer in a new facility in California, just look at the lines of the car and say thats not quality...

The design of the car =/= quality.

Hyundai does have great designs, but I am still not too sure about their quality of their parts/materials/reliability. And whats more, the base sonata costs $22,649 and the base accord is $24,790. Would 10% cheaper be enough to attarct potential 08+ accord buyers (not a lot of them, lol) to change their mind and get the sonata?

Last edited by cococly; 04-24-2011 at 01:18 PM.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #128
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Failed 771 Times in 208 Posts
Lets see the euro's offer the warranty that hyundai is offering. Bet you'd see some changes real quick or they'd go bankrupt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
the reason why they are doing well in the lower end models is because of fuel efficiency and the long warranty. the warranty is a marketing scheme to get you in the door. its forced upon mid-low income buyers. anyone in the upper class wouldnt buy a hyundai (most likely lease) let alone care for the warranty.

it lacks its prestige. perhaps once they establish good footing on this beast, in the future they'll have the history to back it up
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #129
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 187 Times in 28 Posts
id rather have a well built car that just needs basic maintenance than have a shit car with a long warranty and have to go through the warranty every year just to keep it running.

were going off topic again.. the main point of this thread was to establish if youd pay the 50k for the R-spec. my opinion was that i wouldnt and i backed it up with the fact that its still an amateur in the luxury world, and looks ugly and borrowed.

I dont have a problem with the coupes, in fact i think for the HP+RWD its a pretty good deal. i wouldnt buy it, but it would make a decent track car.

i guess we will have to wait and see how they do in 2011/12 in the US.
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #130

Failed 771 Times in 208 Posts
Really? Thats your excuse to snub a brand? Because they stand behind the product by offering a longer warranty?
If euros could stand behind their product instead of their badge they too would offer a competitive warranty. We all know they would go bankrupt if they tried.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #131
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Failed 1,578 Times in 359 Posts
S300ae, your acting like a stubborn dog that wont take his pills. Just accept the fact that hyundai is making good cars. Get over it.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #132

Quote:
S300ae, your acting like a stubborn dog that wont take his pills. Just accept the fact that hyundai is making good cars. Get over it.
ill accept that they make "good cheap fuel efficient midsize, compact" sedans

they have yet to prove themselves on:

offroad, rally, track, luxury
Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #133
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 24 Times in 6 Posts
i mean at this point really, both sides have their opinions although they are at the total opposite ends of each other.
There is no point in bashing each other as it all boils down to opinions.
and as I said, warranty means nothing about the car quality or reliability. Even if the company is confident in their product, there can always be problems in the long run because as with most things, only time will tell.
For example, I dont think anyone can guarantee you that the cylinders will still be in the same shape as it was out of the factory 10 years from now. Its simply impossible to tell as everyones driving habits are different and the amount of stress an engine goes through is different.
Also as a business you need to consider pushing sales of your products. If you're offering 10 years of warranty, thats 10 years that the customer will possibly not buy a new car. That is not good for business especially when you're pushing new models every few years and want to get sales. Theres only so many people and theres so many cars and iterations of models.
In reality majority of consumer products these days are made to last maybe 3~4 years and they start going haywire,etc. There is a certain lifetime manufacturers put on their products. I highly doubt modern cars will last as long as the old ones with the use of things like biodegradable plastic. I mean at some point it will degrade.
Also one of the culprits of repairs are sometimes not even at the fault of the car manufacturer. Manufacturers out source a lot of their parts like the transmission. You will find the same transmission in an american and japanese car. Now if the transmission breaks in one of them, the repair is handled by the manufacturer despite it was the transmission maker's product.
So you guys... look broader and respect other's opinions. I'm not gonna say stop acting like kids as I dont know how old you guys are but please be more mature and start thinking outside the box as I think its a quality everyone needs in life.
kyoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #134
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshiro View Post
i mean at this point really, both sides have their opinions although they are at the total opposite ends of each other.
There is no point in bashing each other as it all boils down to opinions.
and as I said, warranty means nothing about the car quality or reliability. Even if the company is confident in their product, there can always be problems in the long run because as with most things, only time will tell.
For example, I dont think anyone can guarantee you that the cylinders will still be in the same shape as it was out of the factory 10 years from now. Its simply impossible to tell as everyones driving habits are different and the amount of stress an engine goes through is different.
Also as a business you need to consider pushing sales of your products. If you're offering 10 years of warranty, thats 10 years that the customer will possibly not buy a new car. That is not good for business especially when you're pushing new models every few years and want to get sales. Theres only so many people and theres so many cars and iterations of models.
In reality majority of consumer products these days are made to last maybe 3~4 years and they start going haywire,etc. There is a certain lifetime manufacturers put on their products. I highly doubt modern cars will last as long as the old ones with the use of things like biodegradable plastic. I mean at some point it will degrade.
Also one of the culprits of repairs are sometimes not even at the fault of the car manufacturer. Manufacturers out source a lot of their parts like the transmission. You will find the same transmission in an american and japanese car. Now if the transmission breaks in one of them, the repair is handled by the manufacturer despite it was the transmission maker's product.
So you guys... look broader and respect other's opinions. I'm not gonna say stop acting like kids as I dont know how old you guys are but please be more mature and start thinking outside the box as I think its a quality everyone needs in life.
i agree with what you're saying. even if a brand does make very good cars, regardless of their past, noone has owned a new sonata, equus or genesis for a long term (7-10 years) to tell if they quality is good. just because a company offers 10 year warranty which hyundai may or may not, doesn't mean everything sticks. I have friends who have tried to get repairs, and their "extended warranties" have expired components. warranty does not = good car. it might mean "we made a good car, and can back it up" or it can mean "here's your car. and some warranty, you'll need it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly
the base sonata costs $22,649 and the base accord is $24,790
i wouldn't buy an accord. honda auto transmissions are known to have problems, aswell as brakes. my ex's dad used to have an 09. brake had to be fixed/changed at 16k and 28k, tranny was acting up, thats why he sold it.
not saying their cars are bad. i just wouldnt buy one myself.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #135
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndvdiz View Post
k having second thoughts about ce28's now

also this thread gives me a goddamn headache
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #136
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Failed 126 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshiro View Post
.. So you guys... look broader and respect other's opinions. I'm not gonna say stop acting like kids as I dont know how old you guys are but please be more mature and start thinking outside the box as I think its a quality everyone needs in life.
+1!
this world is never black and white. there are always shades of gray in between.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #137
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still wouldn't be able to bring myself to own a Korean car....
604CRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #138

Thanked 3,341 Times in 842 Posts
Failed 207 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
k having second thoughts about ce28's now

also this thread gives me a goddamn headache
Those are te37s lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #139
no

Thanked 6,061 Times in 1,223 Posts
Failed 221 Times in 85 Posts
^i think he meant hes liking the te37's more than the ce28's he had in mind after seeing the pic lol
jpark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #140
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 191 Times in 65 Posts
Bad pics cuz its at night. Phone as well. Elantra I believe. You cant deny it looks pretty flashy and sporty

BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #141

^^ is that how you buy cars? based on how they look?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #142
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 191 Times in 65 Posts
^
No but I'm just saying. It's probably a I4 but I'm just saying it looks alright.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #143
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
Anyone know what the Car is in Iris/Athena Goddess of War?

it's sooo nice
pk_volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #144
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
i walked by the hyundai dealer today on the way to work.

i took a look at their cars.

in my own honest opinion.... none of the cars look good to my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, its not about brands. Probably so used to old and boxy styling.

but the only models i thought that were decent in terms of exterior design was the genesis and the genesis coupe.

i dont like the look of the sonata. It front actually looks annoying...

again. my own honestly opinion. deal with it.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 AM   #145
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Failed 106 Times in 40 Posts
Looks are subjective.

But from what I hear, many people like the direction Hyundai is going with their fluidic design theme. If you add those subjective good looks with a ton of standard features (heated rear seats anyone?) while keeping the price reasonable plus having great warranty/good reliability then its hard to argue against the brand and where it is going.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Looks are subjective.

But from what I hear, many people like the direction Hyundai is going with their fluidic design theme. If you add those subjective good looks with a ton of standard features (heated rear seats anyone?) while keeping the price reasonable plus having great warranty/good reliability then its hard to argue against the brand and where it is going.
there is not a single manufacturer in the world has been able to accomplish it all: provide an appealing looking vehicle, fuel efficient, powerful, full of features, long warranty, and reasonable price. Otherwise they'd be out of business. Usually its 3 out of the 6.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #147

im surprised none of you have posted this:

This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #148
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 95 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
there is not a single manufacturer in the world has been able to accomplish it all: provide an appealing looking vehicle, fuel efficient, powerful, full of features, long warranty, and reasonable price. Otherwise they'd be out of business. Usually its 3 out of the 6.
Look = Subjective
Fuel Efficient = Yes
Powerful= Yes; mid-range in class with the best fuel economy ratings
Full of Features = Yes; loads of features at higher trims
Long warranty = yes/no; 5 year warranty
Reasonable price = Yes; cheaper than main rivals.

I am not a Hyundai fan, but the new Sontata/Tuscon/Elantra seem to have 4/5 out of your 6 categories.

Quality wise =
Depreciation =
Reliability = unknown
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #149

^^ Sontata? never heard

i see what you are trying to say there... but the elantra and tucson would only score 3/6
not good looking, no power, and features only available on higher priced models (so if you want features it fails on the price tag) best they can get is actually 3/6
Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #150
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Those are te37s lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
^i think he meant hes liking the te37's more than the ce28's he had in mind after seeing the pic lol
^ this
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote