REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Failed 852 Times in 132 Posts
LF: Assisted DIY A/C Recharge

1998 Acura 1.6EL (same engine as 96-00 Civic 4dr EX)

Not looking forward to having the A/C recharge service from a stealership/shop.

Been reading up and you can do DIY by buying a kit from Canadian Tire for $55 (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en)

However, I'm not familiar with the procedure and not very confident in doing it, so I'd rather pay someone to recharge my A/C system with their recharge kit.
Advertisement
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Failed 61 Times in 29 Posts
Walmart in the states is cheaper if ur going down.....but it's super easy. Find the port, spray, done.

Didn't work on my truck because the compressor is dead, but it worked fine on another car.
Posted via RS Mobile
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
The recharge kit from Crappy Tire is so easy to use, you'd have to be mechanically and mentally challenged not to be able to do it. Screw on can, clamp onto low port, puncture can, wait, unclamp from low port, done. If you cannot handle that, don't drive.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 187 Times in 28 Posts
^^ does it work well and last?
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 38 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The recharge kit from Crappy Tire is so easy to use, you'd have to be mechanically and mentally challenged not to be able to do it. Screw on can, clamp onto low port, puncture can, wait, unclamp from low port, done. If you cannot handle that, don't drive.
what he said. when i used to work there they always sold out the day we stocked them. so i'm guessing they work pretty well.

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Failed 601 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
^^ does it work well and last?
It's just R134 refrigerant. As long as you put in the proper amount of lbs, it should work as it normally does.

Whether or not it lasts depends on your system's integrity, not on the refrigerant.

However, if you get this as a paid service, they will also inject oil to lube the o-rings as well as make the system run more efficiently by pulling a vacuum (i.e. no air in the system).

YMMV depending on your A/C system's condition.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

Failed 314 Times in 38 Posts
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
http://www.redtek.com/techinfo.html
aznsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
It's just R134 refrigerant. As long as you put in the proper amount of lbs, it should work as it normally does.

Whether or not it lasts depends on your system's integrity, not on the refrigerant.

However, if you get this as a paid service, they will also inject oil to lube the o-rings as well as make the system run more efficiently by pulling a vacuum (i.e. no air in the system).

YMMV depending on your A/C system's condition.
x2 except the CT kit is not R134, its R12a and doesn't work as well as R134. When I recharged my system I noticed it didn't get cold as fast as before.

Considering the system is empty, there is a leak in the OP's AC system. No professional AC repair shop is supposed to fill a system until the leak is discovered, which can be costly. First they have to fill the system and include a dye to find the leak, then repair the leak, then refill. At the very least you're looking at a few hundred $$$.

I had my AC repaired once at a cost of > $1000 for a new condenser - no thanks, I'd rather just use these kits and recharge it every summer.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

So I'm trying to do the DIY redtek kit, did it once but I was afraid of overcharging it and didn't put enough I guess (it worked the, but few days later it's back to hot air)

The reason I stopped early was because I wasn't sure what the minimum charge was, now I looked a little deeper and more research here's what I've gathered.

From my service manual.

Now what is the corresponding amount I should recharge from the can from this conversion chart?

I really appreciate the help guys I'm completely dumbfounded and feel pretty dumb for having to ask something that seemingly straightforward.

maximum 22.9 oz, so technically I should use a full can?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #10

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Failed 229 Times in 105 Posts
you won't need a full capacity because there has to be SOME in the system

what I'm more worried about is that if you leaked all the factory stuff you must use stopleak first and then refrigerant later, and that is still a gamble, you might just lose the $55 altogether because the system doesn't seal anyway.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
you won't need a full capacity because there has to be SOME in the system

what I'm more worried about is that if you leaked all the factory stuff you must use stopleak first and then refrigerant later, and that is still a gamble, you might just lose the $55 altogether because the system doesn't seal anyway.
I think that MIGHT be it, I did put in 1/4 of the can in at first, it ran fine that one day, the next day, it was back to warm before anything was done for it.

If i take it to a shop for $150, would that be a guaranteed solution unless the compressor is fucked (it was working fine last summer)
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,266 Times in 4,627 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
It's not necessarily just the compressor and there is never a gaurentee. Your AC system consists of many components where one fault can lead to another. It's not my intention to come off as being harsh but I think it's best you stop here and have a certified mechanic/shop take care of your car. Don't even think about using band-aid fixes such as stop leak.

Go see a mechanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

so update, I was doing some reading,

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Your-Car's-Air-Conditioner
If you have any reason to suspect that your refrigerant has leaked out completely (the DIY pressure gauge you bought at the parts store reads 0 psi; the compressor won't engage because it may be sensing no pressure in the system
My system still read psi before I even started filling up with refrigerant, so doesn't it mean its's not leaking?

I'll try one more time since I still have one can of refridgerant since I'm already down $55 before I take it to the shop.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 68 Times in 25 Posts
I wouldn't recharge with R12a, especially if it has a known leak. It's essentially propane with a few other ingredients, making it a hazard to you and others on the road.

They sell R134a recharge cans in the US, you might have better luck there.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

I don't think there's a leak because it's still holding pressure. I guess it's just how do I discharge it since it's a DIY kit, there must be a DIY discharge?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #16

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Failed 229 Times in 105 Posts
it's hard to say, if the pressure leak happens between the hi and low side (say a leaky reservoir tank) you will still have pressure but the chemical is just leaving the system when it's off. But then it might work. I have tried the R12A and it did do the trick for me on both my EVO and my Galant VR4 they both maintained good A/C service as long as I owned it.

But my friend with a EG recharge.....didn't go so well even with a stopleak. So it's still a gamble.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
Please listen to me and DO NOT DIY your A/C system. The stuff you buy over the counter is like propane. Yes it will work but if it leaks and if exposed to a spark it WILL explode! Also that stuff is illegal to use i many province in Canada but legal to buy, BC is one province you are NOT ALLOWED to use. Also if you put that stuff it most shop will not take it out of the system for you and will not touch it since it will contaminate their machine. Also you are playing with very high pressure and it can blow up that can if you don't know what you are doing or there is problem with the system. Also that stuff don't have oil in them so your system will sure to die with out proper lubrication. If the compressor dies from lack of lube there will be metal in the system and might need whole system replacement. I have more reason to not DIY this, but if you don't listen to what I already said you already made up your mind and won't listen regardless.
Posted via RS Mobile
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Ended up going to DHP, $120 taxes in. Hassle free. thanks David/Kevin!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,266 Times in 4,627 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
What did they end up finding/doing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
What did they end up finding/doing?
Not sure, they just recharged it.

I think the problem with mine was it wasn't emptied/discharged, so the new refridgerant didn't stay in the system? (not even sure if that's how it works)
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #21
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
If there were no leaks found in the system with the pressure guage hooked up, it's possible there was too much air in there and they had to use a vacuum to draw the refrigerant in. Also, might not have put enough in there with the DIY kit. Lastly, and this might be a stretch but one of the schrader valves might have been loose (only leak that wouldn't show up with a pressure guage on).

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #22
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Failed 771 Times in 208 Posts
The enviroment thanks you for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
x2 except the CT kit is not R134, its R12a and doesn't work as well as R134. When I recharged my system I noticed it didn't get cold as fast as before.

Considering the system is empty, there is a leak in the OP's AC system. No professional AC repair shop is supposed to fill a system until the leak is discovered, which can be costly. First they have to fill the system and include a dye to find the leak, then repair the leak, then refill. At the very least you're looking at a few hundred $$$.

I had my AC repaired once at a cost of > $1000 for a new condenser - no thanks, I'd rather just use these kits and recharge it every summer.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #23
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
while we are on this topic...i got my a/c recharged and now i have water that leaks under my glove box when i use the a/c =| wtf
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #24
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
while we are on this topic...i got my a/c recharged and now i have water that leaks under my glove box when i use the a/c =| wtf
Condensation build up? Maybe one of the hoses that's supposed to lead to the bottom of the car got disconnected and is now draining to the interior.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
The water is condensation from the evaporator. There is a drain hole where this evaporator is located. But the drainage is plugged. There is two way to fix it. Cheapest way is have the car lifted up locate this drainage on the firewall and blow air through it. This way may plug up again. The expensive way is to take it all apart. If your car have a cabin filter you can take that out and take a look too.
Posted via RS Mobile
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote