REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #26
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Failed 69 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
With the right gearing and a good supercharged you can make a lot of power on a k24 or f20b and easily compete with the c32b and other 6 cyl engines, besides, the nsx isn't a straight line car.

Maybe Honda should just hire this guy and buy his designs.
LS7NSX.com Ultimate Hybrid LS7NSX
And with the right gearing and supercharger, you can make ALOT more power on a C32B. The NSX isnt a straight line car, but it was already underpowered, under cylinder to begin with with a V6 not to mention a inline 4 when competitors were using V8 V10 and V12

Might as well put a K20A supercharged in a McLaren F1 to save weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
Just cause its the fastest doesn't mean its the king.

I.E. I think the best skylines in order are R32, R34, R31, 2000GTR(C10 series), R33, R35 (i know there are others but these are the ones i find that truly define the skyline name)

I find that something that should be king because its influential. 240Z and C10 series were here before the NSX was even made and they're not nearly as "fast" as an NSX or any other 1992 - 2011 JDM machine. And what about the RX7? Rotary engine is still used in RX cars today.

I think instead of using the word king we should use iconic.
Well, the NSX did change the way how supercars were built and humiliated ferrari, I would say its influential enough.
Advertisement

Last edited by JoshuaWong; 08-04-2011 at 03:19 PM.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #27
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong View Post
And with the right gearing and supercharger, you can make ALOT more power on a C32B. The NSX isnt a straight line car, but it was already underpowered, under cylinder to begin with with a V6 not to mention a inline 4 when competitors were using V8 V10 and V12

Might as well put a K20A supercharged in a McLaren F1 to save weight
Is McLaren a company that focuses on building economy cars and has very practical management that doesn't support racing development, no, actually they're the complete opposite. I guess that's why putting a v12 engine in their supercar makes sense.

The k24 world record civic is hitting 7.17 on a 1/4 mile, find me an NSX that can top that. The c32b is not only not as technically advanced stock, but it hasn't had the massive amount of aftermarket development put into it. The reality is, the 0.6 liters of displacement you gain by choosing a c32b over a stroked k24 really isn't going to compensate for it being a fundamentally inferior engine.

Besides, your missing my original point.
Honda doesn't want to build a v10/v12 or a forced induction v6 that will only ever see a single chassis, it's bad business and that's why the NSX and s2k are dead. An advanced k24, fundamentally similar to the engine at the heart of all Honda models has the potential to have trickle down engineering and will cost less develop; the Honda engineers might actually be able to sell the accounts that concept.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Is McLaren a company that focuses on building economy cars and has very practical management that doesn't support racing development, no, actually they're the complete opposite. I guess that's why putting a v12 engine in their supercar makes sense.
When the NSX was built, being economical wasn't part of NSX's purpose, Soichiro Honda wasn't being practical; he just wanted to beat Ferrari, and at the time he supported racing so much he even said without racing there is no Honda...

If being practical, economical means throwing a inline 4 into their greatest car, they might as well not build one. Why else Honda bothered with a V10 from scrap or the 3.4L V8 for the HSV-010.

Your right about the bad business case though, Japanese company building one in general was/is bad business. They never make any money LF-A, NSX and the technology don't really trickle down, its all about bragging rights.

When Honda focuses on economy, practicality and forget their roots, they end up with stuff like CR-Z, so please don't touch the S2000 and NSX nameplate when they've actually grow their balls back.

Last edited by JoshuaWong; 08-04-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #29
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
When the NSX was built, being economical wasn't part of NSX's purpose, Soichiro Honda wasn't being practical; he just wanted to beat Ferrari, and at the time he supported racing so much he even said without racing there is no Honda...

If being practical, economical means throwing a inline 4 into their greatest car, they might as well not build one. Why else Honda bothered with a V10 from scrap or the 3.4L V8 for the HSV-010.

Your right about the bad business case though, Japanese company building one in general was/is bad business. They never make any money LF-A, NSX and the technology don't really trickle down, its all about bragging rights.

When Honda focuses on economy, practicality and forget their roots, they end up with stuff like CR-Z, so please don't touch the S2000 and NSX nameplate when they've actually grow their balls back.
I'll agree with you on this, it's sad the direction Honda has gone in the last decade. The company Soichiro Honda created is gone, and it's not coming back any time soon unless it makes sense to share holders.

Your still forgetting that the ITR, S2000, S800, CRX, 4ws Prelude and some group B rally supercars are all legends powered by 4 cylinder engines. It's not a sacrifice, it's just going against the grain of conventional race design, I think Soichiro would appreciate that.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #30

Quote:
I'll agree with you on this, it's sad the direction Honda has gone in the last decade. The company Soichiro Honda created is gone, and it's not coming back any time soon unless it makes sense to share holders.

Your still forgetting that the ITR, S2000, S800, CRX, 4ws Prelude and some group B rally supercars are all legends powered by 4 cylinder engines. It's not a sacrifice, it's just going against the grain of conventional race design, I think Soichiro would appreciate that.
I remember joking to a friend at least 5 years ago that Honda's new corporate strategy was being Toyota; making boring appliances for the sake of making money. Sadly, its coming true. Ironic Toyota is now trying to build sports car, beginning with the LF-A, IS-F, and FT-86. Lets hope Honda make enough money soon and decide they need their sporting heritage back. Seriously doubt it though.

Props to Nissan for sticking with the Z and GT-R even through all the economic hardship. I hope they succeed. They deserve to.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #31
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
I remember joking to a friend at least 5 years ago that Honda's new corporate strategy was being Toyota; making boring appliances for the sake of making money. Sadly, its coming true. Ironic Toyota is now trying to build sports car, beginning with the LF-A, IS-F, and FT-86. Lets hope Honda make enough money soon and decide they need their sporting heritage back. Seriously doubt it though.

Props to Nissan for sticking with the Z and GT-R even through all the economic hardship. I hope they succeed. They deserve to.
One day we'll all be telling our kids about the glory days of imports, at least we experienced it while we had the chance

Hybrids and eventually full electric are the future, which is ultimately a good thing.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #32
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 182 Times in 39 Posts
...What about the Hakosuka?
───────▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
─────▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
───▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
──▐▒▒▒▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒▌
──▌▒▒▐▄█▀▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐
─▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▌
─▌▒▀▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
─▌▀▐▄█▄█▌▄▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
▐▒▀▐▀▐▀▒▒▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
─▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
Jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #33
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anybody know why they stopped making Best Motoring International videos? Are they still dong Option at all?
jungle168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
RB25 + R32 = winning. R34/33 is sexy but too heavy R35.. too many computers.. not a real skyline.
no one said the R35 is a skyline...
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #35
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 23 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle168 View Post
Does anybody know why they stopped making Best Motoring International videos? Are they still dong Option at all?
Best Motoring International (produced by zig zag videos) stopped making their translated videos like 3-4 years ago because too many ppl were just torrenting them. they moved to distributing smaller clips through gtchannel.com, which I suspect is owned by them.

in Japan, it was discussed in another thread that they stopped producing Best Motoring videos because of a steady decline in video sales over the years. they stopped a few months ago. but I just looked up Hot Version, and it looks like they are still producing that show.

Video Option is produced by a different company, and I believe they are still in business.

personally, if they could find a way to produce and distribute a (bi)monthly subscription of subtitled Hot Version, unedited from the Japanese source. I would definitely buy into that!

edit: looks like I was wrong about Hot Version, they are still making it!

Last edited by death_blossom; 08-05-2011 at 03:37 AM.
death_blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #36
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 240 Times in 36 Posts
man that r34 revs so hard.
white_guilt is offline   Reply With Quote