REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #76
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Failed 236 Times in 113 Posts
The takeway here is that the ones who praise the 911s have driven them, while the ones who criticize them are the pedestrians that "ooh and ahh" at swoopy styled, unique cars.
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #77
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,664 Times in 575 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts

993 Turbo S, gets me going whenever i see one... which is never.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #78
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Failed 609 Times in 221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
The takeway here is that the ones who praise the 911s have driven them, while the ones who criticize them are the pedestrians that "ooh and ahh" at swoopy styled, unique cars.
I don't see why that matters. It could be the best car in the world to drive but I still don't want one. It wouldn't matter if the exhaust produced nothing but unicorns and the dashboard was made of cocaine...I just have zero desire to own a 911. I'm well aware they're good to drive...I'm sure quite a few of the top times at the Nuremburg Ring are held by various 911s...but that still doesn't make me want one. Do you pick a girlfriend by seeing which girl can make a sandwich the fastest?

To me, 911s just look like squashed Beetles with a bit more trim. If you like it, that's great...but I'll never be convinced that car is good looking. And yes, I have driven a 911. On a road...where most of us drive 95% of the time. It's a great car to drive, I agree but it just doesn't do anything for me.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #79
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 23 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Do you pick a girlfriend by seeing which girl can make a sandwich the fastest?
don't you?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #80
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Failed 236 Times in 113 Posts
Quote:
I don't see why that matters. It could be the best car in the world to drive but I still don't want one. It wouldn't matter if the exhaust produced nothing but unicorns and the dashboard was made of cocaine...I just have zero desire to own a 911. I'm well aware they're good to drive...I'm sure quite a few of the top times at the Nuremburg Ring are held by various 911s...but that still doesn't make me want one. Do you pick a girlfriend by seeing which girl can make a sandwich the fastest?

To me, 911s just look like squashed Beetles with a bit more trim. If you like it, that's great...but I'll never be convinced that car is good looking. And yes, I have driven a 911. On a road...where most of us drive 95% of the time. It's a great car to drive, I agree but it just doesn't do anything for me.
So when you said that there were "more interesting" cars in the 911's price range, you were merely referring to styling?

A true enthusiast considers the technical and engineering aspects as well as the subjective emotional aspects. The 911 checks all these boxes. If you're evaluating a car the way a poseur would, then you might look for something that has more style than substance.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #81
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,973 Times in 1,835 Posts
Failed 185 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
don't you?
I'd rather have a tasty sandwich over a quick sandwich.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #82
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 257 Times in 119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
don't you?
I usually pick the girl who can such dick the best.

spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #83
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 88 Posts
Once manumatics (dual clutch and smg style) became the norm, any idiot with a driver's licence can drive a lambo, ferrari, porsche, etc. Porsche Turbos, Ferraris, even M3s were standard transmission only....this really weeded out poseur drivers before.....I applaud Porsche staying true to driving enthusiasts and offering a 7sp manual....might not be the fastest tranny, but definitely will be the most enjoyable.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #84
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 20 Posts
OP, "attention" is based mostly on looks and noise. When most people have their heads turned by a car, it's not because they know how much horsepower it has, or how well the car shifts gears. They just see a slick shiny car that makes loud noise.

Only car enthusiasts and people in the "know" will have their heads turned by Porsches. People who aren't into cars, see no difference between a Carerra and a Boxster. Sometimes I see a 997 drive by, and hear people say "What's that? Nevermind, it's just a Porsche."
Personally I think the Boxster kind of put a dent in their status. You literally see one on every block.

Everyone will have their heads turned by a Lambo. Enthusiasts, non-enthusiasts, girls, guys, moms, dads, young, old, cats, dogs.

Driveability is a whole other story and has nothing to do with getting attention.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #85
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Failed 69 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:

911s are nothing really special, and the lesser Cayman R drives nearly if not just as well. I am sure there are better feeling and better handling cars out there. But gotta praise Porsche though for stubborn sticking to the same formula for ages and never give up.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #86
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
So when you said that there were "more interesting" cars in the 911's price range, you were merely referring to styling?

A true enthusiast considers the technical and engineering aspects as well as the subjective emotional aspects. The 911 checks all these boxes. If you're evaluating a car the way a poseur would, then you might look for something that has more style than substance.
I never thought I'd be called a poser by Marco911. :idl

Interesting means interesting. It doesn't mean styling. It doesn't mean technical. It doesn't mean engineering. None of that. It means a car that piques my interest. It doesn't matter if it's the best car on the planet or the worst. The Jaguar E-Type is an awful car by today's standards but it's still interesting. The Fiat 500 is a more interesting car than a Civic.

Even the way you're talking about it is boring me. "My Porsche is a technical and engineering achievement. I can do zero-to-60 in 4.5 seconds with my 321 horsepower."

If I was spending more than $100k on a car, I would definitely put more thought into style over substance. Why would you spend that much money to sit in a slightly larger and flatter VW Beetle that looks like every other car Porsche has made since 1963? I'd want something that looks like the money I put into it because that technical prowess isn't going to matter dick for pretty much all the time when you're driving on roads with speed limits.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #87
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Failed 137 Times in 67 Posts
LoL... I'm with Ronin on this one. He has pretty much described my thoughts about Porsches as well. I have never had any interest in Porsches at all, except for the Carrera GT.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong View Post
911s are nothing really special, and the lesser Cayman R drives nearly if not just as well. I am sure there are better feeling and better handling cars out there. But gotta praise Porsche though for stubborn sticking to the same formula for ages and never give up.
Cayman R is arguably the best handling car period....any price pt below $300k....do you know any car out there that would feel better than a Cayman R, not including GT3RS.

The only car that I think will handle and feel better than a Cayman R is a Mclaren.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #89
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,373 Times in 4,662 Posts
Failed 436 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
I'd want something that looks like the money I put into it because that technical prowess isn't going to matter dick for pretty much all the time when you're driving on roads with speed limits.
So a Civic or Corolla is just as good, right? If not, better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
based on my haircut, maybe
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #90
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Cayman R is arguably the best handling car period....any price pt below $300k....do you know any car out there that would feel better than a Cayman R, not including GT3RS.

The only car that I think will handle and feel better than a Cayman R is a Mclaren.
Lotus would like a word with you. Exige and the Cayman R are roughly the same price? Elise is like $60k or so?

As would the Ariel Atom...even if it isn't available around here...and has no windshield but still.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #91
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
So a Civic or Corolla is just as good, right? If not, better?
...so you think Civics and Corollas look like R8s now?

I have a really hard time believing that a 911 in the price range of a GT-R (a Carerra S?) is significantly better at handling or speed than the Nissan.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #92

Quote:
If I was spending more than $100k on a car, I would definitely put more thought into style over substance. .
this is the definition of a poseur. I guess I am the opposite of you. The reason I love my GT3 is becuase if you don't much about cars, it looks like any other pcar out there, nothing visually special.....actually I sometimes see people laugh at my park bench attached to my rear.........I think they believe I stole it off a civic.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 08-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #93
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Lotus would like a word with you. Exige and the Cayman R are roughly the same price? Elise is like $60k or so?
I was waiting for someone to play the Lotus card.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #94

Quote:

As would the Ariel Atom...even if it isn't available around here...and has no windshield but still.
I have driven an Exige....awesome, awesome car, but overall I still think the Cayman R is a superior car is every way. Exige has great feel but lacks power to exploit the chassis.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 08-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #95
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,373 Times in 4,662 Posts
Failed 436 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
...so you think Civics and Corollas look like R8s now?

I have a really hard time believing that a 911 in the price range of a GT-R is significantly better at handling or speed than the Nissan.
Hey, if it's technical prowess isn't going to matter dick all, why do looks even have to matter at this point onwards?

You are the textbook definition of a poser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
based on my haircut, maybe
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #96
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
I have driven an Exige....awesome, awesome car, but overall I still think the Cayman R is a superior car is every way. Exige has great feel but lacks power to exploit the chassis.
Fair enough. I've only driven the Elise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Hey, if it's technical prowess isn't going to matter dick all, why do looks even have to matter at this point onwards?

You are the textbook definition of a poser.
Because I said for the money, I would have something better looking. I have a tough time believing all this talk of Porsche engineering is really that much better than equivalent cars on a day-to-day basis...or anywhere. I don't know who here is going to tell me they would rather have a Civic over a 911...that would just be stupid. That has happened a total of 0 times. No one is comparing a 911 to a Corolla...we're comparing them to other cars in the same price range. Who would be so stupid to think that was even a possibility?

The argument is that is I was given the choice between a 911 Turbo and an R8, is the 911 going to be so much better than the R8 that I would pick the Porsche instead of a car I actually want to look at...not that Porsches are worse than Hondas. What in the fuck are you thinking?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #97
Hyde's Understudy

Failed 636 Times in 120 Posts
Some of my professional clients come in Porsches and its completely professionalism. If they pull in a ferrari or lambo, it's almost like this guy is a douche or a try hard to impress. Not very professional to bring to a meeting.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #98

^ any dude showing up to a biz meeting in a lambo or ferrari is just plain stupid.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #99
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Failed 1,163 Times in 238 Posts
944 Turbo and Carrera's are the only porsches I like. I respect them as being DDable. I've seen GT3 Porsches with ontario plates in BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
Some of my professional clients come in Porsches and its completely professionalism. If they pull in a ferrari or lambo, it's almost like this guy is a douche or a try hard to impress. Not very professional to bring to a meeting.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #100
RS Licensed Vendor

Failed 34 Times in 13 Posts
I dunno maybe it's just Vancouver, but I don't really wow at any "exotic" anymore.

I tend to "WOW" at old school cars that are well maintained. Seems more rare than the Ferarri or Lambo nowadays. Plus there's alot more blood, sweat and tears put into it than just getting your mom/dad to buy an expensive car from a dealer. Plus I hate feeding the ego of the rich kids that own them.

I would spend more time looking at some custom car than say a stock Lambo.

I met one dude with the Lambo Murc and he was actually a die hard enthusiast. Like took another mortgage to own his dream car and he actually drives it, takes it on long cruises to the states, goes to the car meets, tracks it, does alot of maintenance himself, etc. He's a blue collar type of guy.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote