REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #501
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,973 Times in 1,835 Posts
Failed 185 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Sports car seizures 'a deep reversal of important rights'

B.C.'s civil liberties watchdog is slamming the possible forfeiture of five high-end sports cars involved in a youth street race last week.

Thirteen young drivers, who are all under the age of 21, were caught racing at speeds of up to 200 kilometres per hour near the Massey Tunnel on Aug. 31.

Mounties aren't recommending any criminal charges, but the Civil Forfeiture Office will pursue the seizure of a handful of the cars.

Micheal Vonn, policy director for the BC Civil Liberties Association, says that response is wildly disproportionate to the offence, especially when none of the young drivers has been charged with a crime.

"This is just an end run around the criminal process," she told ctvbc.ca.

"There's a reason why we don't charge people $1 million for jaywalking. We expect a court to make a fair assessment of what is due in terms of violation or offence."

A baker's dozen of luxury cars -- including Ferraris, Maseratis, Lamborghinis, Mercedes, Aston Martins and Audis -- were seized in Surrey and White Rock in connection to the street race. The vehicles were returned to the young people Thursday after a seven-day impoundment.

Each of the drivers has been issued a $196 ticket for driving without reasonable consideration, but police say there just isn't enough evidence to recommend charges.

"With the criminal avenue closed to us, we decided to see if there was enough evidence to proceed civilly," RCMP Supt. Norm Gaumont said in a release Thursday.

Solicitor General Shirley Bond says that the civil forfeiture office has determined there is enough evidence to file civil claims concerning five of the vehicles.

"We expect people to behave responsibly on the highways," she told reporters.

"I think it's important to send a very strong message that this kind of behaviour is not going to be tolerated."

Bond says the government is trying to protect public safety through the forfeiture action, and promises that the cars' owners will have a fair shake in court.

BCCLA ‘caught off guard' by forfeitures

Vonn says this marks the latest in a series of troubling examples of forfeiture claims made by the B.C. government.

"We've seen a real pile-up here in scenarios in which we've been caught off guard," she said.

Earlier this week, the B.C. Supreme Court ruled that the government can go ahead with its lawsuit seeking to seize a former grow-op home on Vancouver Island, even though the house's owner was acquitted of all drug charges against him.

And in February, a judge approved the seizure of two East Vancouver properties worth almost $1 million, although the homes' owner was never charged and wasn't aware that his tenants were operating sophisticated grow-ops inside.

"Is a $1-million fine appropriate for failing to know what your tenants were doing?" Vonn asked

"This is a deep reversal of some very important rights of all citizens."

Von says the B.C. public was misinformed when the government brought in legislation allowing civil forfeitures. She says the understanding was that the law would allow the government to seize the proceeds of organized crime.

"When this law was brought in we were told ... this would be all about gangs," she said. "[These recent cases are] not what people think about at all when they think about the fruits of crime."

She points out that the criminal justice system does allow for seizures of property connected to crime -- as long as the accused person has been found guilty.

"We're not opposed to the idea of criminal forfeitures," Vonn said. "There's no civil right to maintain the fruits of crime."

But the civil justice system requires a different standard of proof entirely, and the criminal benchmark of "beyond a reasonable doubt" doesn't come into play. And unlike in criminal cases, people involved in civil lawsuits do not have the right to legal aid.

B.C.'s law on civil forfeiture has been tested in the Supreme Court of Canada, Vonn says, but that case only asked whether it's appropriate for the province to make seizures when criminal law is a federal matter.

But she says that if the BCCLA sees a good opportunity to test the law again based on what it sees as misuses of power, it will consider taking the province to court.

The B.C. government says that the profits made from civil forfeitures go towards supporting victims of crime.
CTV British Columbia - Sports car seizures 'a deep reversal of important rights' - CTV News

Damn right
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #502
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 81 Times in 18 Posts
No charges for young street racers - News1130

an additional link
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #503
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Failed 14 Times in 4 Posts
about time

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #504
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 68 Times in 16 Posts
Stop being jelly gais.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #505
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 17 Times in 5 Posts
Hmm about time some heat is lifted from us imports and shifted on exotics
Posted via RS Mobile
civic_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #506
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Failed 236 Times in 113 Posts
I hope they hire good lawyers and reverse these ridiculous "laws" for the rest of us.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #507
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 530 Times in 136 Posts
Quote:
She feels parents need to talk to their kids about safe driving.

Those 5 kids probably got new race cars already.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #508
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 191 Times in 65 Posts
Stupid kids. End of story.

Amen.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #509
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 68 Times in 16 Posts
LOL- Can you guys honestly say you want their cars forfeited for the greater good?

Admit it, it's jealousy talking. You guys hoping for forfeiture couldn't care any less about the greater good.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #510
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Failed 63 Times in 31 Posts
^i think people should be concerned, it may not be them having their shit seized today, but it could be them tomorrow (if they fuck up).

It is up to an informed and alert citizenry in a democratic society to keep vigilance against arbitrary police powers (I think we take this too much for granted, but this protects us from moving towards a police state).

p.s. judging from the replies in this thread, you can really tell who understands how our legal system works (educated) and those with great first-hand experiences that are in line with reality versus those who are simply talking out of their ass.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #511
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Failed 63 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
Actually it is how our legal system is implemented. Your right its not supposed to be but it is. From drug busts to road rage and street racing.
So its no surprise thats how it was carried out here but my point was if there is no evidence the charges will be dropped and the cars will be returned.
Traffic offenses (if they are non-criminal) are different than say criminal offenses in that they can be issued immediately regardless of evidence. Criminal charges in B.C. on the other hand (as well as in Quebec and New Brunswick) must be approved by Crown counsel based on certain criteria (ex: admissibility of evidence, lack of evidence, likelihood of conviction, etc).

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 09-08-2011 at 11:53 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #512
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 22 Times in 11 Posts
"Gaumont said the vehicles were by definition "street racing" and that the drivers were travelling at more than twice the 90-km/h speed limit.

And he cited the disregard by the drivers for others on the road that day, as well as the potential for catastrophic injury or death, as factors that could be considered in the forfeiture process."

If you ask me, cops are dragging on this stupid story to divert public attention over their failure in handling the hockey riot.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #513
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Failed 1,234 Times in 307 Posts
i find it funny when they say that there isnt enough evidence of criminal act..

SPEEDING on the hwy which endangers other lives... thats enough in it self..

they should be BANNED from having a drivers license, especially the N drivers... then put them under house arrest... no going out after 8pm or something.. FUCKING kids need to learn the hard way...
Old 09-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #514
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Failed 829 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
i find it funny when they say that there isnt enough evidence of criminal act..

SPEEDING on the hwy which endangers other lives... thats enough in it self..

they should be BANNED from having a drivers license, especially the N drivers... then put them under house arrest... no going out after 8pm or something.. FUCKING kids need to learn the hard way...

You are fucking retarded.

You find it funny because you are uneducated about the legal system.

When did it say they have enough evidence? The police only have hearsay evidence, for all we know it could be 1 car full of people that is jealous and called it in.

I don't even want to talk to you about your logic in giving them house arrest and drivers license ban.

If we have retards like you making laws everyone in the world would be arrested.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #515
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
^^Agreed, if there was hard evidence, or if they could get these people who called in to testify, perhaps they might have a case. This whole scenario is starting to get on my nerves..
EDub_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #516
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 47 Times in 13 Posts
"Earlier this week, the B.C. Supreme Court ruled that the government can go ahead with its lawsuit seeking to seize a former grow-op home on Vancouver Island, even though the house's owner was acquitted of all drug charges against him.

And in February, a judge approved the seizure of two East Vancouver properties worth almost $1 million, although the homes' owner was never charged and wasn't aware that his tenants were operating sophisticated grow-ops inside. "

Re Read the above, think about it for a moment, and then realize how fucked up that is.

The civic forfeiture law needs to be removed and heavily amended if it’s going to be put back in place.

Thanks RCMP Supt. Norm Gaumont, The VPD is still working to charge people caught on video tape in a riot, but the RCMP is going to be damn sure they try to take some kids property on the hearsay of other drivers. Good job! I know I feel safer.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
"Earlier this week, the B.C. Supreme Court ruled that the government can go ahead with its lawsuit seeking to seize a former grow-op home on Vancouver Island, even though the house's owner was acquitted of all drug charges against him.

And in February, a judge approved the seizure of two East Vancouver properties worth almost $1 million, although the homes' owner was never charged and wasn't aware that his tenants were operating sophisticated grow-ops inside. "

Re Read the above, think about it for a moment, and then realize how fucked up that is.

The civic forfeiture law needs to be removed and heavily amended if it’s going to be put back in place.

Thanks RCMP Supt. Norm Gaumont, The VPD is still working to charge people caught on video tape in a riot, but the RCMP is going to be damn sure they try to take some kids property on the hearsay of other drivers. Good job! I know I feel safer.
They are pursuing civil forfeiture against the drivers that have bad driving records. That makes it even more fucked up.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #518
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
They are pursuing civil forfeiture against the drivers that have bad driving records. That makes it even more fucked up.
How so? if anything it makes it more appropriate to target only the bad drivers. Many of them are 'N' new divers, so if they cannot learn from their past mistakes they should lose their privilege to drive. Since these are kids who can easily afford the fine to just drive with a suspended license, suspending their license alone will not serve the punishment the law intends. Thus setting a standard of forfeiting their vehicles if caught is IMHO "fair" punishment for those who can afford to break the law.

I really wish we had laws in Canada where the fine was linked to your ability to pay. A fine is supposed to be a deterrent, and a $196 fine to a person driving a $200K car isn't much of a deterrent. Remember, I make a good salary, so I am in essence asking for fines to be higher for myself too, cause $196 isn't much of a deterrent for me either.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #519
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Failed 153 Times in 85 Posts
Quote:
There will be no clean getaway for at least five of the drivers involved in a spectacular exotic-car street race last week.

The RCMP and Solicitor General Shirley Bond announced Thursday that the province is going forward with the civil-forfeiture process to permanently seize five of the 13 super cars busted in a Deas Island street race.

Bond said the B.C. Civil Forfeiture Office is compiling its case now and will file a claim in B.C. Supreme Court next week.

“This kind of behaviour is not going to be tolerated,” Bond said. “(Civil forfeiture of exotic cars) isn’t new, but certainly when you look at this case, it’s pretty shocking when you have 13 vehicles involved.”

The cars, driven mostly by new drivers, included a Ferrari 599, three Lamborghinis, and an Aston Martin DB9, among others.

Police say the drivers were racing in excess of 200 kilometres per hour during the wild daytime incident. Mounties said they do not have enough evidence for criminal charges.

Bond would not say which of the 13 cars are up for forfeiture.

If the government’s court claim is successful, the office could then auction off the cars and take part of the proceeds to pay for public-safety initiatives.
Metro - Racers' rides going nowhere fast

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #520
Resident Bullshitter

Failed 1,140 Times in 246 Posts
So... Since when was the Canadian law turned into Communist law?

This civil forfeiture is bs.... even the Chinese don't forfeit stuff without hard evidence!
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
How so? if anything it makes it more appropriate to target only the bad drivers. Many of them are 'N' new divers, so if they cannot learn from their past mistakes they should lose their privilege to drive. Since these are kids who can easily afford the fine to just drive with a suspended license, suspending their license alone will not serve the punishment the law intends. Thus setting a standard of forfeiting their vehicles if caught is IMHO "fair" punishment for those who can afford to break the law.

I really wish we had laws in Canada where the fine was linked to your ability to pay. A fine is supposed to be a deterrent, and a $196 fine to a person driving a $200K car isn't much of a deterrent. Remember, I make a good salary, so I am in essence asking for fines to be higher for myself too, cause $196 isn't much of a deterrent for me either.
Driving is a privilege but ownership of private property is a right. If the govt wants to prevent someone from driving they can suspend their license. While the fine is not a deterrent, the points system is. Too many points and you lose your license. All drivers received 6 points and the right to dispute the violation in traffic court where evidence must be presented before a justice of the peace to sustain the charge. That is a system of checks and balances that we can expect in a democratic society. Forced impounds and property seizures are not.

If you think confiscating their cars will prevent them from driving, think again. The are still licensed and can legally drive. Perhaps you would support chopping off their arms and legs as the "final solution" to the alleged aggressive driving problem?

Last edited by Marco911; 09-09-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #522
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Failed 115 Times in 62 Posts
i though the whole point of the civil forfeture act was to take away property from criminals due to the property being proceeds of crime. drug dealers getting their vehicles taken away, but that can only happen if there is enough evidence against them where the crown can PROVE that they paid for the vehicle with drug money.... in this case, the vehicles are not proceeds of crime. they were allegedly used in a "race". the article itself says that the police do not have enough evidence to proceed with criminal charges... so on what basis can their vehicles be taken away? because of a bunch of witnesses that cannot even confirm exactly how fast these cars were going? give me a break, this is all such bullshit

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #523

I don't get the whole "seizing the vehicles of drivers with bad records" either. It's pretty difficult to have a bad driving record and remain licensed in BC these days, particularly if you're an N driver. It's an outrage that someone merely in the group that might not have been driving aggressively is subject to having their parent's vehicle forfeited.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
i though the whole point of the civil forfeture act was to take away property from criminals due to the property being proceeds of crime. drug dealers getting their vehicles taken away, but that can only happen if there is enough evidence against them where the crown can PROVE that they paid for the vehicle with drug money.... in this case, the vehicles are not proceeds of crime. they were allegedly used in a "race". the article itself says that the police do not have enough evidence to proceed with criminal charges... so on what basis can their vehicles be taken away? because of a bunch of witnesses that cannot even confirm exactly how fast these cars were going? give me a break, this is all such bullshit
The seizure laws are written to such a general extent that they can be used in almost any circumstance where they feel public safety is at risk. Ie driving at 50 km/h in a school zone could theoretically qualify. It's the same with the bullshit charge of careless driving, which has no specific criteria and allows the cops to impound your car if they feel like it. Of course, you can dispute the careless driving charge and it'll be likely dropped but you dont have much legal protection if they go after you civilly.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #525
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I really wish we had laws in Canada where the fine was linked to your ability to pay.
You should move to Libya.

Oh yeah, they just did away with their dictator too, so maybe that won't fit your view of utopia. Maybe North Korea will fit the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Perhaps you would support chopping off their arms and legs as the "final solution" to the alleged aggressive driving problem?
It makes me wonder if this phenomenon of harsh punishment comes from immigrants bringing their crooked ideologies to our nation, or is it simply just hatred and ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
this is all such bullshit
agreed.

A sad time for BC justice. Or lack thereof.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: