REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #10301
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

This article gave me so much facepalm, I had to share it...

https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/12...m-son-balcony/

Quote:
Jennifer believes the panel was noted as missing during a walk-through several months ago, but they thought it would have been in place by the time her parents moved in.
They knew glass was missing from walk through, and that wasn't the first thing they checked when they moved in?

Quote:
“I won’t feel safe again for my son to play on the balcony.”
No parents should let 3 years old toddler play on high rise balcony, no matter what!
She would feel safe to let her son play if there was glass panel? Seriously?

Quote:
“This whole building … What about the other people? Are other people experiencing the same thing? Are they scared of talking about it?”
Why would anybody scared to talk about missing glass panel?
Do they think builder will come and beat them up if they complain about missing stuff? wtf.....

Quote:
Jennifer adds she needs some time before she even returns to her parents’ apartment.
omg... snowflake....

Quote:
“I need some time to adjust to this incident. I won’t feel safe again for my son to play on the balcony.”
again, 3yr old should not be playing on the high rise balcony.

Advertisement
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #10302
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,281 Posts
Does anyone else notice that people from Hong Kong "hongers" if you will (dated term I know) like to post photos of themselves going on vacation but not actually at their destination itself.

I'm puzzled by the fact so many of my facebook friends resident in HK keep posting photos of themselves in Airports (destination sign boards are especially popular) and on the plane (usually in First/Bus class) . However when I scroll through their pics there's none from the actual place they supposedly went to.

Is this a thing with hongers? Or is this just some stupid prank with going on with my circle of former classmates/friends? And before you ask, yes I do post a comment asking them but they go unanswered among the flurry of comments like "Have Fun!" or "Wah...so jealous!"

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #10303
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,089 Times in 1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Does anyone else notice that people from Hong Kong "hongers" if you will (dated term I know) like to post photos of themselves going on vacation but not actually at their destination itself.

I'm puzzled by the fact so many of my facebook friends resident in HK keep posting photos of themselves in Airports (destination sign boards are especially popular) and on the plane (usually in First/Bus class) . However when I scroll through their pics there's none from the actual place they supposedly went to.

Is this a thing with hongers? Or is this just some stupid prank with going on with my circle of former classmates/friends? And before you ask, yes I do post a comment asking them but they go unanswered among the flurry of comments like "Have Fun!" or "Wah...so jealous!"
bruh, u gotta photoshop the pics and post them a few months later

more likely a year

also, tell people to fuck off and don't call them

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #10304
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,831 Times in 1,821 Posts
It's not just Hongers. It's Instagram/Facebook culture in general nowadays.

You didn't hear the Drake line "I know a girl that saves pictures from places she’s flown
To post later and make it look like she still on the go"

This is so common, I know many girls myself locally who go on IG and do the same thing. Post pics from last year, acting like they're on a trip that moment. It's all about flexing, showing a persona that isn't factual.

Jesus, at least tag it as a throwback.

Strange times we live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post

mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #10305
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
It's not just Hongers. It's Instagram/Facebook culture in general nowadays.

You didn't hear the Drake line "I know a girl that saves pictures from places she’s flown
To post later and make it look like she still on the go"

This is so common, I know many girls myself locally who go on IG and do the same thing. Post pics from last year, acting like they're on a trip that moment. It's all about flexing, showing a persona that isn't factual.

Jesus, at least tag it as a throwback.

Strange times we live in.
I get what you’re saying but I think I’m describing something different altogether. It’s easy to spot a narcissist 20 something girl posting ‘gram worthy pics but I’m talking about 30 something men that post the following:

- a check-in post at the airport showing a map of the flight route
- a photo of the gate counter showing the destination sign
- an obligatory photo of the plane’s wing from inside the airport and/or the plane itself.
- a photo of their disgusting airplane meal

Then nothing. No pics from that hotel in Phuket or them munching on croissants in Paris. Their next post a couple weeks later is a picture of the check in counter showing “Hong Kong” as the destination. Along with a flurry of likes and well wishing comments.

If you’re wanting to instill jealousy in your FB friends wouldn’t you post pics of the actual amazing vacation itself? It’s bizarre and becoming so frequent I am beginning to think my HK FB friends are just going on mileage runs or all took jobs at the airport.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 12-04-2018 at 08:11 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #10306
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,027 Posts
anyone know if sending parcels to an amazon pickup location would be totally unaffected by the canada post mail strike? I assume amazon uses their own carrier between warehouses, but not sure how they get their parcels to the pickup locations.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #10307

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Maybe there has been a cultural push in Hong Kong to enjoy the moment rather than document it? Get all your pics out on the way to the destination, then put the phone away.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #10308
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
anyone know if sending parcels to an amazon pickup location would be totally unaffected by the canada post mail strike? I assume amazon uses their own carrier between warehouses, but not sure how they get their parcels to the pickup locations.

what the fuck?..since when is Canada post on strike still?..i thought they were made to go back to work by the government.

it still uses Canada post to deliver,they just drop your package off like if you have a mail box at the place you send it too.

they'll need ID.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #10309
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,027 Posts
they are not on strike but they have a massive backlog.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #10310
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Recommend me a quick, free Windows app that can easily trim video, please.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #10311
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Recommend me a quick, free Windows app that can easily trim video, please.
Windows movie maker.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #10312

Thanked 9,059 Times in 3,942 Posts
AviDemux works pretty well for a lot of formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Maybe there has been a cultural push in Hong Kong to enjoy the moment rather than document it? Get all your pics out on the way to the destination, then put the phone away.
That makes sense, but at least take the picture out the window of the plane when you land, not before you take off.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #10313

If anyone is having stuff shipped from another country via DHL e packet or UPS I packet it's being delivered by Canada post and there will be a delay. UPS and DHL just bring the package to the Canadian boarder and then hands it off to Canada post. Worst part is If you call UPS they don't no any anything because UPS I packet is separate from UPS. I have a package from the states that's been delayed for over 5 days.

Last edited by Manic!; 12-05-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #10314

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
kind of a random question but for those who have tiger or zojirushi rice cookers, do you leave them on the warm mode and how long does it usually last like this?

been wanting one for a while as we've been using a little black and decker for the longest time. it was really small so we didn't make big batches of rice.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #10315
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
It’s back............:.Shaw channel 222 for fire log.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #10316
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
they are not on strike but they have a massive backlog.
Ugh tell me about it. I'm mad that Sport Chek used Canada Post to ship an item when they knew they were on strike. It says shipped on 11/28 from Calgary and so far shows 12/12 ETA, but it's going up by one day every day. (original ETA was 11/30) I'll be lucky if I see it by Christmas.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #10317
MG1

PSA: Deadline for referendum is Friday.

As with everything else I do. I wait till the last possible moment.

https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/a...SAAEgKT0PD_BwE

Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #10318

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
kind of a random question but for those who have tiger or zojirushi rice cookers, do you leave them on the warm mode and how long does it usually last like this?

been wanting one for a while as we've been using a little black and decker for the longest time. it was really small so we didn't make big batches of rice.
Probably 2-3days before rice turn yellow and starts smell old
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #10319
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Amazon uses CP still. It's in the shipping algo, they can't (or don't want to) change it. Fn'ing idiots. If your shit is late, chat complain they'll give you some courtesy credits. I got 5 bucks to wipe my ass with.

They are not on strike officially but the other monkey unions are blocking and picketing facilities "in solidarity". I fn'ing hate unions.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #10320
MG1

Didn't know where to put this, but I am on the hunt for a good copy of Pink Floyd's DSOTM in SACD format. I have the CD, the vinyl, and a few of the other releases, but the SACD is supposedly the best of them all. It's a hybrid CD and the CD layer is what I want to hear. Apparently the best remastered copy out there. New copies are selling in the hundreds. I would like a really decent used copy. If you or someone you know has one they would like to sell, pm me.

Used ones are in the 30 to 80 CAD range, shipped.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #10321
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,274 Times in 586 Posts
Does anyone know if the Trinity Street Christmas Light Festival still happens?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #10322
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,572 Times in 5,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Does anyone know if the Trinity Street Christmas Light Festival still happens?
They toned it back quite a bit because it was becoming such a shit show with traffic and pedestrians. People parking in the middle of the street to let their kid roll down the window and being completely inconsiderate to other motorists and the people who live there.

I live pretty close, one night I’ll go walk over and report back whether it’s worth checking out or not
Old 12-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #10323
MG1

PSA: Guys, avoid Still Creek at all cost.

I just drove by there and it is fucking gong show.

The McDonald's parking lot is a lake. There were two cars there that were up to the top of the hood in water. I have no idea how, but the driver was inside the car in the middle of the now lake. The headlights were on and his wipers were going.

It must have been a flash flood. Theres no way he could have driven out in the middle like that.

I hope he wasn't thinking of driving out of there. Fire department and ambulances were there, but there's no way of getting to the middle of the parking lot. They'll have to bring in boats.

I'll post pic later when I get a chance. I even have dash cam footage.

Also, so many people out there who can't drive or use common sense. Never mind fucking snow, Vancouverites can't drive in the rain, either. You can see the road is flooded from blocks away, but people drive full speed into the water................. so dumb.

When you hit deep water, don't do anything. No sudden movements. Just foot off brake and keep steering straight (unless in middle of turn, in which case, you're screwed). The water will slow you right down.

Last edited by MG1; 12-11-2018 at 01:00 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #10324

https://twitter.com/gvogstad/status/...181120/photo/1

Old 12-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #10325
MG1

my pics are better....................

too lazy to upload, gulolol.

Should have seen the truck hidden behind that tree. No pics, though. Firetruck was in the way