REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #12401
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
No need for a COVID test to enter the states, just upon your return.
I thought you still need a PCR/Antigen test?
Advertisement
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #12402
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
Lavish, loud Ferris-wheel wedding of singer and politician in Surrey ticks off neighbourhood
Quote:
Surrey RCMP say they were bombarded with noise complaints late Tuesday into Wednesday morning after more than 50 residents called about a large wedding celebration in the 7700-block of 192 Street.

According to a written statement from the Surrey bylaw department, officers issued 15 parking tickets and towed a number of vehicles after receiving multiple noise and traffic complaints from neighbours between 10:30 p.m. and 2:30 a.m.

"Bylaw officers advised the organizer of the wedding to stop and desist their activities due to noise and traffic issues impacting the neighbourhood," it said.

Officers visited the property once again on Wednesday morning, along with the RCMP and the City of Surrey's building and electrical inspectors, due to multiple illegal tents that were set up at the back of the property, including a Ferris wheel, the city said.

An order to stop work on the property was issued to owners for not obtaining proper permits to set up large tents and the city also issued compliance orders over concerns about the electrical setup.

The city said bylaw officers will be issuing fines for zoning and building infractions and the RCMP are also involved.

"As we understand it, the Surrey RCMP are considering issuing fines for violations to the public health order regarding COVID."

The wedding, which had fewer than 130 people in attendance, according to South-Asian luxury wedding planner Jessie Khaira, was for Punjabi singer-actor Parmish Verma and Geet Grewal, who ran but lost in the recent federal election as the Liberal candidate for Mission-Matsqui-Fraser Canyon.

She said it was an "intimate wedding" with just the bride and groom's closest friends and family.

"The groom's friends were here, we had local artists and then we really wanted to have a nice lighting feature for the reception which is where the Ferris wheel came in," Khaira told CBC News.

Tuesday night's reception, she said, was the last event of a traditional seven-day South Asian wedding. The number of guests that attended is not considered big, she said, as they tried to keep in mind the pandemic.

"Was it big in terms of design? Was it big in terms of experience? Definitely," she explained, "but was it big in terms of guests? Definitely not."

She said given how COVID-19 has put restrictions on gatherings for the past two years, couples should try to celebrate in whatever way they can.

"I think that every moment, especially in the last two years, we've really learned that we need to celebrate everything that comes our way because we don't know when things will change."
This property is on 192nd and 78th has been under construction for what seems like years. It's been a shitshow of parking along the street during late construction. Yesterday, I drove by around 3pm, and there were many more cars due to the party, and many of them sticking out into the road.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #12403
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Why was the party allowed to carry on until the early morning if they got so many complaints wth
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #12404
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Why was the party allowed to carry on until the early morning if they got so many complaints wth
Because Parmish Verma.

The wedding planner should have said no comment, but instead decided to speak, and make a fool of herself. Would never ever hire such a person.
nismodrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2021, 10:50 PM   #12405
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #12406

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
Because Parmish Verma.

The wedding planner should have said no comment, but instead decided to speak, and make a fool of herself. Would never ever hire such a person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4tHFBDADVg
She posted the event on her tiktok, and are telling ppl off n calling them Karen's
Old 10-23-2021, 03:51 PM   #12407
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,764 Times in 826 Posts
Failed 883 Times in 161 Posts
I'm getting into video, wildlife oriented. should I get a second computer and go Apple? I've got an expensive 4k monitor with built in KVM, so any suggestions?
Old 10-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #12408
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
I'm getting into video, wildlife oriented. should I get a second computer and go Apple? I've got an expensive 4k monitor with built in KVM, so any suggestions?
You can edit video on a PC or a MAC. A PC is going to be cheaper and have more expandability. Apple is ditching Intel and going with their own M1 chip based on arm. I would go to a place lime memory express and get them to build you a computer for around 2K.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #12409
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
With how things are progressing and the power prowess that M1 are showing, I would take a hard look at entry-level M1 Mac Mini to do any beginner 4k work, or maybe wait a little bit for refurb M1 Pro MBP to become available.

To build a decent PC that would handle 4K editing with sufficient smooth workflow, I don't think you'd be looking at less than 2k for the PC alone. Yes, you can go cheaper, but the performance would start sucking pretty hard very soon.

The Arm architecture is so much more efficient and the software side of things, Apple being Apple, get devs to update relatively quickly. Many Adobe apps (at least the main ones) are running M1 natively, and there's already a noticeable difference in performance.

The only possible scenario I'd suggest PC is if you have a huge budget (say 6k+) and can really get a serious powerhouse to run and seek absolute performance at any cost. But from a cost/performance ratio POV, an entry level Mac Mini M1 would be way under 2k and be much more versatile of an editing machine if you are on a budget.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #12410
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,829 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Have a few thousand bucks in USD sitting in a bank account doing nothing, was thinking of either transferring it into USD brokerage account (which I’d have to setup) or just converting it to CAD and using it that way

Will my bank give me the best exchange rate? Or should I pull out the USD and go to a broker
Old 10-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #12411
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 28 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Have a few thousand bucks in USD sitting in a bank account doing nothing, was thinking of either transferring it into USD brokerage account (which I’d have to setup) or just converting it to CAD and using it that way

Will my bank give me the best exchange rate? Or should I pull out the USD and go to a broker
Go to a broker, I just did it last week. Compared TD with VBCE, was a 200-300 basis point different. Having said that, not sure if it's worth your time/convenience to do it for few thousand, as you can do it all online with your bank.
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2021, 02:32 PM   #12412
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:

Banks already milk us enough money through fees or interest. Don't give them anymore LOL.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:14 AM   #12413
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
I was browsing FB last night and came across the memories moments from 10 years ago. One of co-workers I worked with passed away when I checked her FB. She wasn't a great person to begin with as she held grudges against everyone on the team, and she always felt entitled (everyone disliked her). She passed away from cardiac arrest, started to make me worry about health. She was only 32 years old.

Do you guys ever see family/friends/coworkers pass away and then start thinking about your own health, or start committing to certain changes in your life immediately.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #12414
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,899 Times in 7,391 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Literally always. Everyone’s health is so different though. If you want to be comfortable about your own you need to take care of yourself and as we get older make sure to actually go to doctors when we have issues and not just ignore it.
Some people eat McDonald’s every day and smoke and drink and live to 90 but some people run marathons and live to 30. You can’t really use either as a measure.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #12415
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post

Do you guys ever see family/friends/coworkers pass away and then start thinking about your own health, or start committing to certain changes in your life immediately.
This hit me BIGTIME... couple years ago... one of my best friends in the world, met him in Grade 8 and it turned out we actually met when we were like 3 years old cuz I grew up in the same townhouse complex as him, but my family moved away when I was 5... anyway we would spend entire weekends playing Tecmo SuperBowl... pooled our money to buy summer membership to the Richmond Pitch & Putt and played the maximum twice a day every single weekday all summer... played hockey together everywhere... buddy never had a license, walked and ran everywhere, I was always driving him places... his birthday was the reciprocal of mine, we used to log into each other's school accounts that used birthdates as a "security feature" at Kwantlen and pick up blocks of ridiculous classes like Women's studies or Art shit just to fuck with each other.

I lost my job in 2003 and decided fuck this I'm gonna rent a car and drive across Canada, I called him up and said hey man you want to go and he was like fuck ya let's go... for a month we drove across Canada and all through the USA etc until I got a call that probably cost $20.00 on my FLIP PHONE (hahaha) for an interview when were in Las Vegas somewhere and we head back a bit early so I could go to that.

Over the years careers and relationships drew us apart... life... but still see him walking around Richmond randomly and pick him up, catch up... he would come to my hockey games when he could... in all the years we played, I was always an offense guy and he was a stay at home D... I never once got past that dude no matter how hard I tried. He was in fantastic shape, ran 10km a day minimum like literally every day... wore shorts in the wintertime kinda guy... always a warm body.

Then one day a couple years ago I got a text from my sister telling me to check Facebook... he was dead. Found him sitting in a chair after getting ready for work. Colossal heart failure.

To this day it sticks with me... it's been a couple years, I still sometimes scroll down on my phone to the last messages I exchanged with him where we missed getting the gang together for a birthday a month before and have a lot of regret that we didn't make that happen. I still have his hockey stick here that his mom gave to me... but man it bugs me so much whenever I think about it... if someone as healthy as that dude bit it so suddenly with no real prior health issues, what chance do the rest of us have? Why am I even still here when he's not? It really messes with your head. I'm definitely more aware of my physical condition after... even though it apparently didn't help him... I definitely try to stay on top of it and not just pretend to be a tough guy anytime something is wrong and not seek medical opinion.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #12416
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,282 Times in 4,632 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
+1 to your friend. Was definitely a super nice, stand up guy. RIP.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #12417

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 29 Posts
For those that have been to the Montreal GP, where did you buy your tickets from?

Is Montrealgrandprix.com legit?

Thanks
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #12418

I am flying domestic this week for the first time in pandemic. Westjet website says arrive 120 mins prior to departure. Is that a must?
Old 10-27-2021, 09:18 AM   #12419

I’d say depends on when you’re leaving.

I’ve flown two red eyes and 2 mid day fights since July and both times security was next to nothing. Could have arrived 30 minutes before boarding
Old 10-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #12420

Quote:
I’d say depends on when you’re leaving.

I’ve flown two red eyes and 2 mid day fights since July and both times security was next to nothing. Could have arrived 30 minutes before boarding
ok thanks. I am leaving in the afternoon. I'll do the usual 60 mins.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #12421

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
I am flying domestic this week for the first time in pandemic. Westjet website says arrive 120 mins prior to departure. Is that a must?
I just flew to ny

From Yvr to Toronto it was fine n smooth sailing I showed up 30mins before boarding

But in Toronto?! Fkn joke! They made us go thru security again (I was just connecting in toronto) and that took 1.5hrs

So if ur headed east, ur good to show up late, but on ur way back, yikes
Old 10-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #12422

The transfer from domestic to international at Pearson is a joke even in non-Covid times
Old 10-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #12423

That's so disappointing, there used to be direct flights to ny precovid but ugh not anymore

And then customs was another hour on top

Naturally missed my connecting flight, then had to wait another 3hrs for the next one

So I missed the funeral I was headed to

NY is as busy as ever, but a lot of shops are closed down or shortened hours, both open n close.. my fav markets seem below their old quality standard too, its like everything took a beating
Old 10-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #12424
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
The transfer from domestic to international at Pearson is a joke even in non-Covid times
I still haven't forgiven them for misplacing our bags on a family holiday. Fuckers cost 12 year old me half a day of Disney World and I was not amused lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:31 PM   #12425

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I still haven't forgiven them for misplacing our bags on a family holiday. Fuckers cost 12 year old me half a day of Disney World and I was not amused lol.
Y'all not using your credit card lost/delayed baggage benefits?
Lot of premium cards will include this so check your coverage before you book your next flight. Paid for a new wardrobe and a tonne of food/snacks for a delay in delivering my bag. Also delays over 4 hours or cancelled flight? Time to hit up the town and stay at hotels you wouldn't normally stay at.
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote