REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #13976
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Nevermind the drivers, not all of them obviously but quite a few... I am often waiting at places and they just barge up to the front with their bag open yelling out their order number and the staff always have to gravitate toward them.

I also have the experience quite often of trying to order something and the terminal for an order app starts dinging away and their attention is drawn away from me to check what's on that and then back to me again.

Do the delivery apps still make you decide the tip% before the food even arrives? That's some serious intimidation if it's still the case (I believe it was with some of them).
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #13977
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
I've only used Uber Eats once. Mainly because they gave me $30 off any order and I couldn't leave to pick-up as we were moving a bunch of stuff.

I had to tip when I ordered the food. And the tip was on the original amount, not the discounted. So I paid a $4 service fee, increased price for the food, and $7 tip at 10%. I barely came out ahead, even with the $30 promotional discount.

Never again.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2022, 09:07 AM   #13978
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ exactly, I only use and abuse when I get promo. I get a 50% promo and come out about even after this fee and that fee and the tip.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:28 AM   #13979
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
My cc is supposed to give me a years free uber eats delivery fee, but whenever I try to activate it it doesn't work, I've contacted uber eats several times over it, but they're no help, so I don't use em

In the past I've used uber eats in Australia several times and the drivers often steal my food, they drove the opposite direction of where I am (probably drove home) and then marked my order "undeliverable"
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #13980
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
In the past I've used uber eats in Australia several times and the drivers often steal my food, they drove the opposite direction of where I am (probably drove home) and then marked my order "undeliverable"
Is there an option to pay at the door rather than up front?

That's another big reason I prefer the old fashioned way, if I don't get my food or my food is wrong then I won't pay.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #13981
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,143 Times in 3,631 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
i think i almost killed (or they tried to kill themselves) 10-20 of these fan tuan e scooter assholes in the past 2 years. They go from sidewalk to street and vice versa, cutting around everywhere.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2022, 11:59 AM   #13982
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Is there an option to pay at the door rather than up front?

That's another big reason I prefer the old fashioned way, if I don't get my food or my food is wrong then I won't pay.
Not that I could recall no, this was around the end of 2018 into 2019

iirc you only had the option to tip afterwards, but they had their free dinner so I guess they wouldn't care about a tip.

What pissed me off was the waste of time and the fact the places I ordered from were closed by the time everything was sorted out
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #13983
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
Interesting to see so many negative opinions of food delivery apps. The market size for the food delivery industry is way too large to disappear now. Projected revenue for online delivery in 2022 is like +60b USD in US alone.

About margins... if restaurants operated their own delivery system, wouldn't that also cut into their margins similar to if they had went on a delivery app? They'd have to schedule and pay for their own drivers, gas, car mileage, insurance, etc. Also, doesn't food delivery apps increase the price of menu items on their platform so that when they take a slice, it isn't 100% on the restaurants? For example, a $10 item at a restaurant is priced $12 on UberEats so that 30% commission would be mean there is $9.1 for the restaurant (and not $7) which doesn't seem that terrible. I don't know how the math actually works out so maybe someone can clarify.

Ultimately, if the platforms weren't a fair deal for the industry overall, why is there such an overwhelming adoption by the restaurants voluntarily? For example, there is a small joint that I used to frequent and after they went on UberEats, their demand grew to the point they stopped picking up the phone during weekend evenings to solely focus on deliver app orders. I guess they figured its much more efficient for them; Putting other customers on hold, trying to decipher what customers are trying to order, answering questions, double-checking the order etc.. all requires so much more time than an app system. You'd never hear a peep from restaurants like above that are gaining net profit from the apps because why complain about a system that's working in your favor.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #13984
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
When I'm downtown, I usually use Ritual since there are no price markups (if there are you can report the error and be reimbursed). Mind you its just for pickup/takeout orders which saves time on my lunch break since I can order the food before walking to the restaurant. Not too sure what the cut/fees are for the restaurants using Ritual though.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #13985

Thanked 31,899 Times in 7,391 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
90% of this food is garbage by the time it’s delivered.
If you think it’s favourable for the majority of businesses or workers, you haven’t really looked into any of the conversations or articles that have been put together about it over the last two years.
The systems were adopted because restaurants weren’t allowed to operate at full capacity, or at all in some circumstances.
Sit down with just about any restaurant decision maker that’s been stuck with dealing with delivery apps is that they are just handcuffed to them because people are so fucking lazy and want everything to just appear at their door. I don’t know why people are so in love with paying extra money for their food to be shittier just so they don’t have to put pants on and go 3 blocks away. Maybe because half the population has agoraphobia after the last 2 years?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-15-2022, 12:34 PM   #13986

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
The pandemic has really pandered to/enabled the socially awkward/introverted.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:38 PM   #13987
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
90% of this food is garbage by the time it’s delivered.
Agreed, but people like what they like

Quote:
The systems were adopted because restaurants weren’t allowed to operate at full capacity, or at all in some circumstances.
Covid has definitely sped things up in North America, but food delivery systems were already widely adopted across Asia like a decade ago long before Covid. It was only a matter of time before it became mainstream here.

Quote:
I don’t know why people are so in love with paying extra money for their food to be shittier just so they don’t have to put pants on and go 3 blocks away. Maybe because half the population has agoraphobia after the last 2 years?
I think you have to respect the market for what it is. Consumers want what is the most convenient for them. Like if I'm busy doing something in the middle of the day and I want some food, its nice to be able to order something from a wide selection on the app. If I have to put on pants and take 30+ min to put an order in over the phone and then make the round-trip with my car, then forget it... I'll probably just make myself a quick sandwich. So in that sense, the app system is creating demand that's never existed before. This is also assuming you have a car; A lot of single and small families living the city don't even have a car. Am I expecting michelin star quality food? No...
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:44 PM   #13988

Thanked 31,899 Times in 7,391 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
The demand for takeout goes up, the demand for in person dining goes down, and with that, drink and na beverage sales drop, tips drop, and profitability drops.
It’s not just the cost percentages taken by a delivery app, take out containers, cutlery, etc all costs money, and if it’s not costing a lot of it, you can be sure it’s costing a lot environmentally.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #13989
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
When I'm downtown, I usually use Ritual since there are no price markups (if there are you can report the error and be reimbursed). Mind you its just for pickup/takeout orders which saves time on my lunch break since I can order the food before walking to the restaurant. Not too sure what the cut/fees are for the restaurants using Ritual though.
Yes Ritual is awesome that way. You also get points pretty fast and I get $5 off a meal like every couple weeks.

Unfortunately looks like a lot of places are dropping off the App now as it doesn't seem to be as prolific.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #13990
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
Ultimately, if the platforms weren't a fair deal for the industry overall, why is there such an overwhelming adoption by the restaurants voluntarily?
Is it voluntary? There were issues a while back where restaurants were showing up on these platforms without their knowledge or consent.

Either way they're all exploitative as fuck. Same deal with Uber, AirBNB, etc. Creative ways for us poor people to screw over other poor people so some company can get rich with almost zero effort or risk.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #13991
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,829 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
People always slam Uber but I’ve honestly never had a driver who didn’t enjoy doing it. Or at the very least lied about it.

I’d say being able to set your own hours etc. is a pretty sweet gig for anyone in that line of work. Probably why so many cab drivers moved over
Old 08-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #13992
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
I remember hearing from one restaurant owner when I went in to pick up food, they said even phone calls to their number listed on google gets counted as an order and a fee is taken from them. Not sure how true, can't find any info to back up their claim.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:19 PM   #13993
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Came across this study and it's interesting

Light bar shows how much of the US population is below the estimated average requirement in vitamins and minerals just from their diet, and the dark bar shows people who are under the requirement that supplement their diets
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:28 PM   #13994
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
So what's the takeaway here?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #13995
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,711 Times in 1,582 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Let me breakdown the commission fees for these delivery apps, which may not include any app promotions that take away from the overall amount that gets deposited.

Note that the fee names may not be entirely accurate. For accounting purposes, a fee is a fee, I don't actually care all that much what kind of fee it is - at the end of the day it's a ___ App fee. Some of these apps charge a flat fee, others have a variable fee depending on number of orders, driver wait time etc.

Also the BC government now requires PST to be charged for delivery apps, which is another further cost for consumers lol.

DoorDash
Commission Fee - 24% of Pre Tax Sales
Delivery Fee - 11% of Pre Tax Sales

UberEats
Promotions - 18.1% of Pre Tax Sales
Service Fee - 14.7% of Pre Tax Sales
Delivery Fee - 7.1% of Pre Tax Sales

SkipTheDishes
Network Access Contribution - 25% of total sales
Payment Processing - $0.99/order (In Q2 - 3.68%, not bad but not great. Most merchants charge anywhere between 2.4% - 4%)

Fantuan
Commission - 20% of total sales

Creating an online ordering app
Startup cost is anywhere between 20K to 50K for a decent one
Commission fees are typically 10% flat or variable rate (this highly depends on which agency and your relationship with your account manager)
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2022, 07:20 PM   #13996
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
So what's the takeaway here?
Eating a recommended American diet, you are likely deficient in several vitamins and minerals, and supplementation is 'worth it'. Especially vitamin D, especially for people with dark skin in northern climates.

A high quality multi is probably worth taking for most people, since it's cheap and convenient. One that just has a good amount in high quality forms of the basics - ACE. A multi mineral would be worth taking at night, especially Mn (it really helps you sleep) and Zn. To be as uncomplicated as possible you can probably find it all in one. Probably will cost about $30-50 a year for a decent one.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:27 PM   #13997
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Waiting for skinny to tell us about his new site with vitamins to buy hahaha
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2022, 07:33 PM   #13998
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Does anyone know of any diamond wholesalers?
Felix 778-318-5208

give him a call
wholesaler distributer designer

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:55 PM   #13999
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
I remember hearing from one restaurant owner when I went in to pick up food, they said even phone calls to their number listed on google gets counted as an order and a fee is taken from them. Not sure how true, can't find any info to back up their claim.
It's true. When you search for a restaurant on google the first number you see is not always the restaurants it's a number that places like Uber have put up. When you call that number Uber gets a cut.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:29 PM   #14000
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,711 Times in 1,582 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It's true. When you search for a restaurant on google the first number you see is not always the restaurants it's a number that places like Uber have put up. When you call that number Uber gets a cut.
This can be changed by taking ownership of the GoogleMyBusiness listing though. I wonder how good of an effort Uber takes into GMB management

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote