REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:59 AM   #14126
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ Yah, I'm not quite getting that. Every sector is screaming that there are not enough workers - retail, restaurant, airline, etc. Things have returned to about 90% normal ... what is the reason for the overwhelming shortage of workers?
Advertisement
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:16 AM   #14127
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I have almost no source of information that's relative except for 1 friend who married someone with older kids... like late teens/early 20's... all 3 kids refuse to get part-time or full-time jobs because there's "no point" to spend their day somewhere for the $ return and they're convinced they can do better online through social media. The modern day pyramid scheme.

I'm not saying that's entirely the reason, but if his kids are an example of any kind of movement like that, then yah the service industry is in a heap of trouble.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2022, 07:27 AM   #14128
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Influencer / YouTuber / content creator
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:41 AM   #14129
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I have almost no source of information that's relative except for 1 friend who married someone with older kids... like late teens/early 20's... all 3 kids refuse to get part-time or full-time jobs because there's "no point" to spend their day somewhere for the $ return and they're convinced they can do better online through social media. The modern day pyramid scheme.

I'm not saying that's entirely the reason, but if his kids are an example of any kind of movement like that, then yah the service industry is in a heap of trouble.
I don't know it's a mix for sure. I look at my son and his friends, going into grade 11 probably half of them have jobs. My son has been working since he was 15.

I've talked to the parents of some of the kids he plays football and boxes with, some are like yeah I want my kid to work others are I don't want them to work I want them to enjoy life and concentrate on school.

This argument I don't buy, I think you're creating kids that have very little life experience and are going to have a tougher time later in life interacting with people. I expect my son to work, I expect him to stay active and I also expect him to get good grades. There is no reason you can't achieve all of this at the high school level.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #14130
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
r/antiwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #14131
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I don't know it's a mix for sure. I look at my son and his friends, going into grade 11 probably half of them have jobs. My son has been working since he was 15.

I've talked to the parents of some of the kids he plays football and boxes with, some are like yeah I want my kid to work others are I don't want them to work I want them to enjoy life and concentrate on school.

This argument I don't buy, I think you're creating kids that have very little life experience and are going to have a tougher time later in life interacting with people. I expect my son to work, I expect him to stay active and I also expect him to get good grades. There is no reason you can't achieve all of this at the high school level.
I didn't start working part time until first year out of high school. I don't think it was an issue, and wasn't behind compared to my friends working at McDonald's in Grade 11 and 12.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:12 AM   #14132
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
People want to work. They just don't want to work shitty jobs anymore.

It's almost like everyone here forgot there's (still) a world-changing pandemic and turned people into shitty customers overnight making an already shitty situation even shittier. It's not just about low paying jobs - the public is shit right now, ergo public facing jobs are shittier than ever.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:15 AM   #14133
Performance Moderator

Customers were super shitty when I was working shitty jobs too.. maybe even moreso without the fear of everything being recorded on video for viral exposure.

It's like a rite of passage lol... that's the other kind of strange thing about this stuff. I can't say I wholeheartedly agree with this concept, but someone recently said to me "Why does everyone want a living wage at the barista level? You're not supposed to live at that job, you're supposed to do it for a couple years while upgrading your skills and then move on to something that does pay a living wage"

Obviously there are other factors, but there is some merit to it.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:21 AM   #14134
linguistic ninja

Yes I've been there too. When I worked retail Karens and their male equivalent would tell me I was worthless, etc. But nowadays people are physically attacking or verbally berating you for things out of your control. Not to mention the shitshow of mental illness holding our cities hostage. I can't imagine working at a place like Timmys and having to deal with that kind of shit day in and day out.

And it doesn't matter. Just because we had to eat shit doesn't mean our children should have to. With that kind of punitive logic should we all have busted our ass in polluted factories- no wait break our backs farming our own food- because our ancestors did too? Society has and should always strive for better.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #14135
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
People don't seem to want to get their hands dirty as much anymore either. Trades are begging for people but I guess working from home sounds a lot nicer lol
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #14136
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,829 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I think the issue is becoming people with zero skills have this “I’m better than this!” Attitude

I see it all the time at my employer. People have a pretty sweet gig great benefits, very flexible work/life balance but then the union and other people drill this idea into their peons heads that “this isn’t good enough!!”

Sorry but you only have the skills the company trained you for, you have no education, you’re not all of a sudden going to be making 80-100k a year being an ant at a corporate giant.

also given the financial climate people are hella risk adverse in terms of starting a business etc. (not like any of these people would be capable of it anyways) I’ve known a bunch of people I used to work with who are much younger than I am who got their hands dirty and learned to run machinery, do demo excavation work etc. from my former company, and then started their own company and are absolutely killing it now.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #14137
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,143 Times in 3,631 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post

That’s probably because you’re an amazing parent and not a piece of shit like the other parents who allow their kids to get away with freeloading off them
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2022, 12:11 PM   #14138
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Society norm is go to school, get good grades, so you can get a good job. WTF is a good job anyways? A job that pays well where you sit at a desk and not have to do much work? It is like a waitress/waiter with tips likely makes way more than someone that went to univerity for their arts/science degree LOL. I hate those people that brag about which university they went, or ask "oh, so which university did you go to". I didn't go to university, but we have the same job LOL.

Seems like society frowns down on entry level job, but every job has its purpose that make society complete as a whole. If everyone became doctors because it paid the big bucks, then who is going to serve you a restaurant or supermarket.

The impression I get from kids these days is "it's a waste of time, not worth my time, I'm too good for this job". It's easy to say that kinda shit when they're like freeloading from parents.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:19 PM   #14139
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
I didn't start working part time until first year out of high school. I don't think it was an issue, and wasn't behind compared to my friends working at McDonald's in Grade 11 and 12.
I'd agree it doesn't mean you're going to be totally social awkward but given the option of limited interaction with random people and a lot of interaction I think the later is better.

For me it's about taking things I learned that I could have done better at his age and trying to point him in the right direction and keeping his options open as much as possible until he figures out what he wants to do. My parents were never there for me for this for many reasons.

Work experience, great gets to deal with lots of people, learns how to manage a schedule, show up on time for work talk to people ect.

Sports, learns how to work as a team in football and in boxing he learns how to be an individual well understanding discipline.

School, you keep your grades up because you don't know what you want to do. If you want to go to University those doors are all open to you without having to go back to school to bring up your grades.

He's also learning lessons on his own limits, how much he can do realistically without getting overwhelmed. I'm far from a perfect parent, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life but I've learned from a lot of them and I'm trying to keep my son from making similar ones but at the same time letting him explore himself.

Edit: True story, my son dropped gym this year and picked up Biology. I asked him why he did that, he said because he wasn't sure what he wants to do in the future and he's keeping his options open. Even I was like, you sure you want to do that?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 08-26-2022 at 12:26 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:57 PM   #14140
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
And it doesn't matter. Just because we had to eat shit doesn't mean our children should have to. With that kind of punitive logic should we all have busted our ass in polluted factories- no wait break our backs farming our own food- because our ancestors did too? Society has and should always strive for better.
I think in general there needs to be more "treat people how you want to be treated" in all facets of society. It's kinda fallen to the wayside as we all get desperate to grab whatever we can grab for ourselves in a tightening financial world.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #14141
linguistic ninja

See the huge uproar in the US over Biden forgiving student loans. People saying "I can't believe *I* was responsible enough to pay it off and now these freeloaders get a free ride". TBH if I just finished paying my student loans I'd be a little bit miffed too but most people can't see past their immediate situation and see what can be generally good for society.

And the death of crappy underpaid service jobs IS good for society.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #14142

^ Not sure I would go with the all out forgiveness ... maybe a 10 year interest free? Now there isn't even the incentive for a grad to get out there and work cuz their debt is wiped clean?

Or a system, eg. a reduction of 20% of loan per year if you are willing to work at remote areas? Incentivize it so that you get some productivity?
Old 08-26-2022, 01:32 PM   #14143
linguistic ninja

Sorry my mistake...It's not debt forgiveness, it's debt relief - up to $10,000 to $20,000 depending on income. Tuition costs in the US are insane though as you probably know with many degrees costing 6 figures.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-need-it-most/

So this brings another problem in today's polarized society. People hear "debt relief for student loans" and automatically go to "OMG the freeloaders are going to get free stuff from my tax money" because "Biden is destroying America" or something.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:36 PM   #14144
Performance Moderator

That's the problem with all these programs, there's no "right time" to institute them... just have to put it in and then eat shit until all the whataboutme people stop bitching and move on to their next victim rant.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:39 PM   #14145
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,829 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I think you have to be VERY careful in how these programs are implemented. I’m not against them, as with anything you’ve got to start somewhere.

However look at CERB, I saw some projection that up to 30% of the claims were fraudulent. Just cutting people cheques and auditing later on never works.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:41 PM   #14146
Performance Moderator

I definitely don't like the "it costs more to prevent it than the money we'd lose" approach......... that doesn't sit well with me since there's no way to account for how much ends up lost.

I actually would prefer they spent more and made sure not even 1 douche was able to brag to friends how they worked the system.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #14147

Damn if you're planning to go to the Island this weekend! Huge delays yesterday due to police incident and then today, lots of cancellations!

Old 08-26-2022, 02:26 PM   #14148
Performance Moderator

My dad abs my sister were supposed to come back from Nanaimo to Tsawwassen with a reservation, had to switch terminals and go to Horseshie Bay this afternoon instead, prett much lost their whole day and gotta fight rush hour Lions Gate traffic
Old 08-26-2022, 02:35 PM   #14149
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Damn if you're planning to go to the Island this weekend! Huge delays yesterday due to police incident and then today, lots of cancellations!

https://twitter.com/DangerOnAir/stat...59123348574210
The story I am hearing is 1 or 2 junkies stole a car in Nanaimo then got on the ferry to Vancouver. Someone got stabbed and was thrown overboard.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:42 PM   #14150
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 13 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post

https://twitter.com/DangerOnAir/stat...59123348574210
Dang, at first I didn't think it looked that bad based on the thumbnail. then the vid panned right
OriginalJC is offline   Reply With Quote