REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:34 PM   #14201
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,551 Times in 4,927 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Damn. I'm so jelly. Just got back from Pacific Central Station. Dropped off daughter who's on a three week VIA Rail excursion to Halifax. I haven't been in that station since the Confederation Train rolled into Vancouver in 1967. Okay, I was there for a very short time, looking for a McDonald's to confirm if McPizza was making a comeback or not, lol.

I've always wanted to do a cross country trip via train. Daughter beat me to it. I guess that's why some of us have children, so we can live through their experiences. Worked all my life and have nothing to show for it............... except a great family. 100% worth it. No regrets.......
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #14202
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
How much for that trip?
Old 09-02-2022, 02:45 PM   #14203
MG1

Train alone was just below 2 grand one way.........

no idea how she's coming back. I'm pretty sure it's by plane. She's going to decide how depending on how the trip to Halifax goes. I'm sure scenery and the accommodations are great, but time I think will play an important role in her decision re: coming back.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #14204
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
That’s pretty good, I would have thought it was more

There is a local guy on YouTube, DownieLive who does a lot of train travel he recently took that route I believe
Old 09-02-2022, 03:02 PM   #14205
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,021 Times in 3,602 Posts
Failed 467 Times in 232 Posts
how come so cheap!?!! i booked VIA from vancouver to Edmonton and was quoted 4k ONE WAY. Thats including my 10% CN discount too.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #14206
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,856 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
That's a super good price... I remember looking at cross Canada trips by train 10+ years ago and it was $5k or more!!!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:36 PM   #14207
MG1

Maybe because she’s taking three trips. Vancouver to Toronto, then Montreal and finally Halifax. She works for Federal Government in a high security job. Maybe they get like a bigger discount? Maybe she took like the cheapest of cheap seats. Maybe baggage class, gulolol.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #14208

I don’t get how she can get it so cheap, But good for her ! It’s a helluva way to see Canada. Always wanted to do this but the price is pretty steep for a very slow form of travel.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:19 PM   #14209
MG1

They say the Rockies via rail is unbelievable. I'm looking forward to the pictures and footage. I'm sure there are plenty of videos on the Internet.

My daughter was with me when I went on that 4-1/2 week cross continent road trip. I remember seeing that spiral tunnel in BC. Caught a long train going through it when we arrived. Bonne chance! You can see both ends of the train. That was special. Now she's going to actually experience the tunnel via train (I hope VIA Rail does that route).

This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #14210
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Yes, there are stretches of I5 where the basic quality of engineering is better - better and longer ramps, and more lanes but those are really exceptions where there's enough space for it. South of Everett all the way down to Olympia and it's a goddamn logging road - it's a bucking bronco that's not just about concrete but a failure to build LEVEL surfaces - my 3 year old thinks we're on a roller coaster in the back. Basics like emergency lanes disappear in this region.
Got out my sound meter on the way back to see how much louder the I5 concrete is versus good asphalt and at 120kph the concrete around Everett (not the worse there is but not great) I got 70db while on good asphalt near Blaine I got 63db - that's about a 60% diff in noise (I think my sound meter under reports though but it's still apples to apples here). The stuff around downtown Seattle is worse so figure twice as loud which is nuts.

Sure it's "cheaper" to pour concrete over asphalt but that ignores all the external costs - more wear and tear on cars, more accident caused by poor surface conditions, more fatigue for drivers, health problems (more hearing loss, more wear and tear on drivers), etc. It's classic American culture where they just love to pass the costs on to others.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #14211
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,096 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
LF: Harry Mack tickets @ Fortune Sound Club.

If anyone has a friend of a friend PM me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:06 PM   #14212
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,295 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Got out my sound meter on the way back to see how much louder the I5 concrete is versus good asphalt and at 120kph the concrete around Everett (not the worse there is but not great) I got 70db while on good asphalt near Blaine I got 63db - that's about a 60% diff in noise (I think my sound meter under reports though but it's still apples to apples here). The stuff around downtown Seattle is worse so figure twice as loud which is nuts.

Sure it's "cheaper" to pour concrete over asphalt but that ignores all the external costs - more wear and tear on cars, more accident caused by poor surface conditions, more fatigue for drivers, health problems (more hearing loss, more wear and tear on drivers), etc. It's classic American culture where they just love to pass the costs on to others.
There's pros and cons to both sides.
Concrete is more durable if done correctly, and also more heat resistant, and requires less repairs.

Asphault is easier on cars, and I believe it's actually easier to pour, but it's easier to fuck up (look at all the uneven asphault pours around Vancouver) And it's definitely not a very durable material.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:25 PM   #14213
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
There's pros and cons to both sides.
Concrete is more durable if done correctly, and also more heat resistant, and requires less repairs.

Asphault is easier on cars, and I believe it's actually easier to pour, but it's easier to fuck up (look at all the uneven asphault pours around Vancouver) And it's definitely not a very durable material.
Gonna add a bit to this.

Generally, asphalt on roadworks is done by qualified crews (ie. not uncles in sandals), and the unevenness you see is just an inherent design flaw in asphalt, where it's never fully "hard"; so tires will eventually deform the pavement resulting in unevenness. Asphalt is usually designed with 3~5% voids to begin with to help with freeze/thaw, as well as drainage - but this works against it as well as over time with dynamic loads (ie traffic) it'll deform as mentioned above. However, it's much easier to rip up than concrete, and is cheaper to place than concrete. The only real downside to asphalt placement is that you can't do it when it's raining, nor when it's cold. And there's additional surface prep to ensure longevity, although some municipalities/cities say fuck it and just pave over existing asphalt, which does end up in premature failure. Another benefit is you can pave literally hundreds of kilometers without break, with no issue.

Concrete, is more difficult to place because you need formwork at the edges, and reinforcement, all things that need to be done manually and inspected before pouring concrete. And as you want to open the roads as soon as possible, they'll order high performance concrete, which is expensive. Then you also still need to cure it properly (ie covered, kept wet) for at least a day, up to a week, before you can open them up. It's also highly dependent on the finishing crew how flat of a surface you get. It is much more durable than asphalt with design ages up to 10x that of asphalt, although obviously salting in the winter reduces that significantly, although there is special cements that can be used to make them more durable against salts - but again, that's more $$$. The biggest flaw with concrete is that it's not designed to drain and is slippery as fuck in the rain. Also when pouring roads with concrete you need to segment them to account for expansion/shrinkage which is added construction costs.

Also solely because asphalt is softer than concrete, it's quieter and provides a better ride.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2022, 07:26 AM   #14214
I STILL don't get it

Failed 116 Times in 33 Posts
anyone know where to buy a modern/sleek briefcase/messenger bag for work (to hold a few documents and a laptop)?

preferably leather and black.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:29 AM   #14215
MG1

The Bay, Best Buy, Staples, London Drugs, just about anywhere. If you're into Apple laptops, Simply Computing.

Not leather but................... https://shop.walrushome.com/blogs/ne...50feeac3&_ss=r

I just love shopping at Walrus, but you're looking for leather. They used to carry a lot Bellroy stuff. Really high quality stuff. I think you can order anything from them through Walrus. https://bellroy.com

Can't beat traditional leather, though.

https://www.thebay.com/c/women/handb...ags-messengers

Old 09-04-2022, 09:20 AM   #14216
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,218 Times in 4,604 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
anyone know where to buy a modern/sleek briefcase/messenger bag for work (to hold a few documents and a laptop)?

Does said bag have to be able to allow for enough space for a charger as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:39 AM   #14217
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post

Not leather but it's black: https://herschel.ca/shop/messengers/...10996-04119-OS

Herschel has a solid range of bags for laptops, just not in leather.

I have a Tumi laptop bag that I picked up from the premium outlets that's perfect for a 13" MacBook plus a few other items. Holds the charger, pack of gum and a few documents. For its purpose it's an excellent bag with lots of pockets and organised storage but not bulky at all - when I travel it fits into my weekend bag just fine. There's a Tumi store at the Richmond outlet - they might have something for you.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:50 AM   #14218
I STILL don't get it

Failed 116 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Does said bag have to be able to allow for enough space for a charger as well?
yes
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:03 AM   #14219
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,218 Times in 4,604 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
Also, what size/type of laptop do you have and what budget did you have in mind?

I've been on the hunt myself recently with similar specifications. While I haven't made my final decision yet, the last thing I want to do is share a $4500 leather bag that makes zero sense to you. Depending on your answers, I may have a few on my shortlist to recommend of which I've seen in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:34 AM   #14220

Montblanc brief case. Relatively cheap 1500 to 1800. Leather and backed with a great warranty.
Old 09-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #14221
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,927 Times in 2,565 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Besides openboxco is there anywhere else to look for older iPhones?
Not a phone person just want something with a large HDD and doesn't have to be the latest or greatest 13, but has to be an iphone

Is there a specific model to start from? Like X and newer?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:05 PM   #14222
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,697 Times in 1,575 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Leather has such a large range of quality. How much of a leather snob are you? LV uses shit leathers and Hermes uses slightly better leathers. This guy on tiktok tears apart leathers and explains the difference in construction and materials: https://www.tiktok.com/@tanner.leath...QDvU88mT0&_r=1

He also sells leather bags with a decent quality. I haven't purchased one but I like his content.

There's also cow vegetable tan leathers and buff washed leathers, which I honestly have no idea what it means so it's a good thing I'm not in sales at work lol.

Buying *leather* goods is like buying a German vehicle. It's all about spec LOL.

But for a simple answer, Brooks Brothers sucks. I have a Ted Baker bag and I'm not a leather snob. I like it.

I've heard excellent things about the durability of Tumi. Also have heard excellent things about The Cambridge Satchel Co.

Matt & Nat is exclusively vegan leather, not sure if they have messenger bags or laptop sleeves or if it's just purses.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:11 AM   #14223
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,268 Times in 2,049 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
2 pathological brothers go on killing spree in Regina ... sounds like the Nova Scotia (using fake cop car) incident except with knives! 10 dead and 15 injured.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ings-1.6572464

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:25 AM   #14224
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,927 Times in 2,565 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
can anyone recommend a good eyeglass store, preferably near Joyce/Kingsway in E.Van?

been going to a place in north burnaby for over 20 years but after the owner retired and sold to a new owner, finding the last 5 years their pricing seems quite high and limited selection, so i wouldn't mind shopping around.

i have benefits to use on a 2 year cycle

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

Last edited by GLOW; 09-05-2022 at 08:30 AM.
GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:43 AM   #14225
MG1

Costco.