REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-14-2022, 10:55 PM   #15076
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
That's how it was when I lived in Walnut Grove. Asian in white suburbia........... plus, I wasn't christian. This was way before Koreans moved into Langley/Walnut Grove.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 02:37 AM   #15077
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,143 Times in 3,631 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Since most Asian’s are racist as fuck, im sure it’s not easy being a white guy/gal in an Asian restaurant. When I take my work peeps out to dim sum, most of servers automatically bring out the forks / ice waters and have this very patronizing tone.

The look on the servers face when all these ghost faces are able to eat fried rice, in a bowl, with chopsticks is great. Kinda sad that this happens in 2022…I don’t get that wack ass look when I go to the keg and start using their barbaric fork and knife combo. Heathens!!!
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 07:35 AM   #15078
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
I generally have a simple practice to go by ... chopsticks with bowls, fork/knives with plates. It is difficult to use chopsticks with plates. Part of the chopstick experience is the slurping out of the bowl.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #15079
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,878 Times in 1,315 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Since most Asian’s are racist as fuck, im sure it’s not easy being a white guy/gal in an Asian restaurant. When I take my work peeps out to dim sum, most of servers automatically bring out the forks / ice waters and have this very patronizing tone.

The look on the servers face when all these ghost faces are able to eat fried rice, in a bowl, with chopsticks is great. Kinda sad that this happens in 2022…I don’t get that wack ass look when I go to the keg and start using their barbaric fork and knife combo. Heathens!!!
What restaurant did you go to? I thought most of Vancouver knows pretty damn well that all white ppl in town can do chopsticks lol.

We had to ASK for a fork cause our French colleague legit can't use chopsticks cause she's a FOB. The servers assumed everyone can chopstick.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:43 AM   #15080

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Keep in mind there are tiers of chopsticks.

Koreans generally use thin, metal chopsticks at home, and those are monumentally harder than wooden ones.

I took colleagues out to a Korean restaurant once, 2 of them asked for wooden takeout chopsticks and one went straight to a fork, lol.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #15081
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,829 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Honestly these days even as a white person when I see someone who doesn’t know how to handle chopsticks at least workable, I feel like they’re probably a hillbilly or the very least some picky eater rube
Old 12-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #15082

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
What restaurant did you go to? I thought most of Vancouver knows pretty damn well that all white ppl in town can do chopsticks lol.

We had to ASK for a fork cause our French colleague legit can't use chopsticks cause she's a FOB. The servers assumed everyone can chopstick.
downtown kirin... they just assume.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #15083

im thinking about buying a fancy camera for xmas.

For a guy who doesnt know jack shit about cameras or how to use one, what is a good starting point? costco used to sell DSLR packages but not anymore. It seems theres lot of these "mirrorless" cameras popping up everywhere and the Sony Alpha line looks pretty good.

For a complete dumbshit who wants to take some photos of his ratrolla and dogs, what is a good camera to get? i dont feel like blowing 10k on camera equipment either. if it can take pictures better than my iphone XR / 13 mini, id be pretty pleased.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:16 AM   #15084
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Pics that you're going to view on your phone, just stick to cellphone pics. No point in going to dslr if you're not looking to make posters of your shots.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 09:25 AM   #15085
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think you're better off with your cellphone camera for photos - the fancy cameras usually require a bit of post-processing to get the look that you want (lightroom / photoshop).

As a stopgap, maybe try an iPhone camera app with manual controls like Halide / ProCam? It'll be much cheaper than buying equipment and you might squeeze out better quality than the default iPhone app. And perhaps a polarizing filter to cut down on glare.

Last edited by radeonboy; 12-15-2022 at 09:51 AM.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #15086
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,282 Times in 4,632 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
I agree with the guys recommending using a cell phone and using software to edit your photos.

I used to travel with a dSLR and my micro 4:3 Olympus but it just ended up taking too much space plus adding the opportunity of being robbed on travels. When and where I want to take more serious photos, I'll bring out the camera but since COVID, I barely touched it and it's just collecting dust. I would go further and say that the process of transferring files, editing them, uploading somewhere, storage, etc. takes up a lot of time, which is not something I personally have the patience for anymore.

If you want to just play around, then go for it. Otherwise, for travels etc. most modern phones like an iPhone XR or iPhone 13/14 will do the job.
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #15087

Thanked 5,186 Times in 1,970 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
What's worse is an Asian who doesn't use chopsticks properly. I'm left-handed. That is like a holy sin amongst asians. Not only that. I don't hold them correctly. I get strange, almost hostile, looks from other asians in a restaurant. Having said that, I'm really good at using the chopsticks. I mentioned this in another thread. At the church picnics, they would hold contests that involved moving soy beans from one bowl to another. I always won. Beat out those old ladies who thought a lefty was a devil's child. I showed those old bitties. My mom stopped the teachers at the school from punishing me for being left-handed. And...... I never held the writing instruments properly, either. My penmanship wasn't great, but hey, we use technology............... okay, one more. I hunt and peck on the keyboard. Hee hee.......
Lefthanded too and definitely janky with the chopsticks.

I've gotten better over time, but the stress the waives over me when eating at a spot that only serves you with chopsticks, with a table of Asians is palpable.

I don't have the nerve to ask for a fork
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #15088

Thanked 5,186 Times in 1,970 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
im thinking about buying a fancy camera for xmas.

For a guy who doesnt know jack shit about cameras or how to use one, what is a good starting point? costco used to sell DSLR packages but not anymore. It seems theres lot of these "mirrorless" cameras popping up everywhere and the Sony Alpha line looks pretty good.

For a complete dumbshit who wants to take some photos of his ratrolla and dogs, what is a good camera to get? i dont feel like blowing 10k on camera equipment either. if it can take pictures better than my iphone XR / 13 mini, id be pretty pleased.
Waste of money, you'll leave it in the hotel/Airbnb most of your trips, and won't bother to take it out with you locally.

Listen to these guys, stick to your iPhone.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #15089

For you non-Asian folks ... a hack

This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 10:43 AM   #15090
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
On the other hand - a super compact mirrorless like the Fuji X-T series is kinda fun, and takes great pictures out of the camera (JPEG) and minimal post-processing. The Fuji cameras I find gives a certain "look" approximating their film (not that I ever shot film lmao).

The retro look is also a fun thing for travel/walking around town, and it looks very unassuming as well.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #15091
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Waste of money, you'll leave it in the hotel/Airbnb most of your trips, and won't bother to take it out with you locally.

Listen to these guys, stick to your iPhone.
Let him get into it. He has a shitload of money. So much that he has no idea what to do with it all. Let him support the economy. He needs to get into coffee makers and collecting watches. Wait………………. Nvm. He has an iPhone XR, like me, gulolol.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #15092
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
RAWs come out shit unless you edit them. If you have no experience using things like Lightroom on your desktop, just take pictures on your phone with Apple ProRaw enabled and then edit them afterwards with Afterlight, Snapseed, etc. It's pretty retard free and you'll get the best quality.

If you plan on making prints, taking for example my iPhone 12 Pro that is 12MP, it'll be around 250DPI~ for a 12x16 print. If you need to upscale for larger prints, I've had extremely good experiences using software like Topaz Gigapixel. If printing smaller, then not really a concern.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 11:01 AM   #15093
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,282 Times in 4,632 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Let him get into it. He has a shitload of money. So much that he has no idea what to do with it all. Let him support the economy. He needs to get into coffee makers and collecting watches. Wait………………. Nvm. He has an iPhone XR, like me, gulolol.
Just one of his watches are the equivalent of one person's average salary in Vancouver lol

Edit: The market value of one of his watches EXCEED one person's average salary in Vancouver
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:16 AM   #15094
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
RS income is 250k+, we don't need to consider what the average Vancouverite gets.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #15095
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
I barely ever use my Sony a7r2 anymore, even during my trip the past couple months I've taken like 10pics with it if even, it's just too cumbersome if I'm out with family/friends, I'd rather just use my phone, sure there were times with my phone that I wish I had my camera with me but /shrug

If you're solo travelling though a camera will be great since you don't have to deal with anyone/thing
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:22 AM   #15096
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,829 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I had a DSLR and actively did a shit load of research learned a tonne about all the settings etc. watched so many tutorial videos, bought more and more gear

And in those 4-5 years of ownership I probably took 10 photos that made me say wow.. there’s so much shit to fiddle around with to get those top tier photos and then the post-editing transferring them to a computer etc. it just became a burden

Then you take photos like these with iPhone 13 Pro Max which is the size of your wallet and wonder why you’d ever even consider carrying around such a burden lol

Old 12-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #15097

i wanted to buy a DSLR for a long long time but I'm just not that skilled in taking photos. I always wanted it to be a hobby, but im really lousy at it. Plus you gents are right, its bulky, annoying to carry around, and 99% of the time it'll just collect dust in the house. The only few times ill want to use it, i probably wont have it readily available.

I have an old S90 Canon sitting around, not DSLR but one of the better compact cameras that has manual control. Ill try messing around with that first.

I bought the iphone14 pro on launch day this year and after shooting a couple in raw, it didn't turn out very good (especially at night, when its not able to run at full 48mb and limited to 12mb). Still needed a ton of processing on the back end to make half decent results. I ended up returning the phone after 10 days.

Last edited by Badhobz; 12-15-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #15098

Yah and those digital SLR's pic files end up being so damn big. Cumbersome. On your phone, 2 buttons and you can post them on IG or send them.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #15099
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
For you non-Asian folks ... a hack

You can whip up something similar with an elastic band + folding up the paper they're wrapped in. I do it for my oldest all the time.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:51 AM   #15100
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ss-mini-trains

Selling for $6 refundable deposit.

Already seeing resell listings for $80. I'm not surprised. Same people selling empty TimBeibs boxes for the same price.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote