REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:32 AM   #15801
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,268 Times in 2,049 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Addendum ... the Oscars surprise me sometimes, this is another year. One year, this Korean weird film Parasite won the best film. Never watched it but I thought WTF? Trailer was so weird that I never did watch it after ... maybe it's really good.

I did like the replacement presenter for Will Smith though ...
Advertisement
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-14-2023, 06:39 AM   #15802

Switching channels ... did anyone catch this or did they edit it out? At the Junos

Old 03-14-2023, 06:45 AM   #15803
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,021 Times in 3,602 Posts
Failed 467 Times in 232 Posts
ahhh yes, oscars were classy at some point

i cant believe this was already a year ago...

Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:17 AM   #15804
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Civicblues - Stretch is like Brendan Fraser playing the Whale or Frances McDorman playing a homeless person living in a van, or Jamie Foxx playing a blind Ray Charles ... how is Quan's role a stretch in EEAO? I just watched a clip of Brian Tyree Henry in Causeway - he plays an amputee war vet .. that's a range. Quan - Alpha Waymond, Laudramat Raymond, and Suave Raymond ... none of which were convincing. And he did it exactly how I imagined he would ... safe. Boring as hell.
You know he didn't play a literal whale right? He played a depressed obese middle-aged American, which is probably not much of a stretch for Fraser if you read what happened to him. The fact is he played it with enough conviction and sincerity that he was recognized as the "best" for this year. Just because something is familiar to you doesn't mean you can't excel at it in the eyes of others. Jesus christ it's not like they gave them the award for Best supporting Actor/ Best Actress EVER. Just THIS year.

Still no one can answer why the Academy and practically every other major award gave it to Quan and Yeoh? They must all be woke brainwashed and run by the same cabal of Hollywood woke-sters I suppose! Even the Foreign Press! Even the Brits!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel...nd_nominations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_Ke_Huy_Quan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Addendum ... the Oscars surprise me sometimes, this is another year. One year, this Korean weird film Parasite won the best film. Never watched it but I thought WTF? Trailer was so weird that I never did watch it after ... maybe it's really good.
Wow Yikes this tells me everything I need to know about your taste in movies. There's nothing "weird" about Parasite. It's an excellent film but your aversion to subtitles might put you off it.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 03-14-2023 at 08:26 AM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:23 AM   #15805
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,862 Times in 7,378 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
On the topic of oscars, all this outrage about Brendan Fraser playing an obese, ostracized man with mental illness aren't really getting that Brendan Fraser has spent much of his life as a fat, ostracized man with mental illness.
Getting mad about shit like that is why people don't take people being mad about actual shit seriously.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:26 AM   #15806

what was so moving about her playing a middle aged Asian woman, when she is a middle aged asian woman?

the whole thing seems rigged just to be more inclusive of ethnicities and to garner more support from asians so they can SELL MORE TO ASIANS.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:31 AM   #15807
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
what was so moving about her playing a middle aged Asian woman, when she is a middle aged asian woman?

the whole thing seems rigged just to be more inclusive of ethnicities and to garner more support from asians so they can SELL MORE TO ASIANS.
What's so special about Will Smith? He played a middle aged black father but he is one (King Richard)

What's so special about Anthony Hopkins? He played an old white man and he's one too! (The Father)

Yes Asians who make up 5% of the population of the US. Asians who were ignored for over a century of cinema and pigeonholed into stereotypes. China doesn't give a fuck about Asian American stories. So let's all of a sudden give it to the Asian-American so we can sell more tickets....to Asians?

Again, who is rigging every single fucking award show this year to give it to them?

We get it you don't like her performance but you don't have to diminish it down to racial preference.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2023, 08:50 AM   #15808

Thanked 7,559 Times in 2,527 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
It's not rigging, they campaigned the shit out of EEAAO. And they had a full year to get voters to watch, and re-watch it again.

It's not 'rigged' in that voters did not actively coordinate to vote a certain way, but it's also not purely due to merit either. Voters vote for whats popular, what's in their face through marketing/promotions, and what the narrative is in society at the time.

Back in the day thats how Miramax did so well, Harvey Weinstein (outside of his sexual coercion) was a great promotor during awards season.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2023, 08:51 AM   #15809

These movies aren't just shown in NORTH AMERICA RIGHT? its an international audience and garners quite a bit of their sales from international markets. Crazy rich Asians took in 1/3 of their total gross from international markets (mainly asian nations).

Especially with an all Asian cast of course these movies are targeted towards a more international audience. if you dont think that money/marketing has any validity in these award shows then you must really live in a bubble. im sure this wasnt the only factor their decision making, but its a factor.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:58 AM   #15810
linguistic ninja

Ok so now why now all of a sudden? Why didn't they give an award to Crazy Rich Asians, Shang Chi, Minari or any number of indie AsianAm films that came out in the past 20 years? Why this particular indie flick? Of course money has a say in it but this particular one had arguably way less money backing it than the others.

Who are they trying to market to China? The nation they're actively trying to decouple from and demonize? No? Taiwan? Malaysia? Minuscule niche markets of less than 30 million? The rest of Asia doesn't give a fuck. China doesn't give a fuck about Asian-American stories. They didn't give a fuck about CRA or Marvel's Shang Chi and that's a fucking mass market action movie.

Who in China or Asia is going to watch some weird-ass movie about the multiverse and Mother-Daughter relationships because it has some Asian faces on it. Come on man use some common sense you're the one stretching here.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:03 AM   #15811
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,856 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I think they deserve what they won!

But I will say... that even though I haven't watched the movie, the actor who was playing Elvis... I don't know if anyone worked harder than that kid to become a character... I think possibly that movie didn't get promoted enough by the studios maybe? I watched a lot of interviews and stuff randomly he was in and was really floored by how much he put into that role.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2023, 09:09 AM   #15812

cuz those movies were absolute dog shit. One can argue this everything movie is more of an artist piece and not a traditional mass market flick. Why did they gave it to parasite last year then? indie flicks are what hollywood loves to promote. better if they can market it as being inclusive of all ethnicities (life of pi, etc).

You dont think they are marketing towards china and asians in general? The chinese movie market rivals that of the US.

https://www.vox.com/23196838/china-h...pet-schwartzel

https://world101.cfr.org/global-era-...llywood-movies

get your head out of your ass.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:11 AM   #15813

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
But I will say... that even though I haven't watched the movie, the actor who was playing Elvis... I don't know if anyone worked harder than that kid to become a character... I think possibly that movie didn't get promoted enough by the studios maybe? I watched a lot of interviews and stuff randomly he was in and was really floored by how much he put into that role.
i did watch that movie and its friggin fantastic. one of the best movies of the year.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2023, 09:21 AM   #15814
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,266 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
On the topic of oscars, all this outrage about Brendan Fraser playing an obese, ostracized man with mental illness aren't really getting that Brendan Fraser has spent much of his life as a fat, ostracized man with mental illness.
Getting mad about shit like that is why people don't take people being mad about actual shit seriously.

Even if Brendan was a skinny dude his whole life, I don't understand this outrage people seem to have these days about people ACTING. It's literally their job to be someone they are not.

To be able to step into the shoes of someone very unfamiliar to you and completely knock it out of the park is a real talent, yet today it's met with hostility because they aren't that way in real life.

People love to bitch these days man.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2023, 09:25 AM   #15815
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Just enjoy a movie for what it is and don’t worry about irrelevant award ceremonies with out of touch celebs patting themselves on the back?
Old 03-14-2023, 09:51 AM   #15816
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
cuz those movies were absolute dog shit. One can argue this everything movie is more of an artist piece and not a traditional mass market flick. Why did they gave it to parasite last year then? indie flicks are what hollywood loves to promote. better if they can market it as being inclusive of all ethnicities (life of pi, etc).

You dont think they are marketing towards china and asians in general? The chinese movie market rivals that of the US.

https://www.vox.com/23196838/china-h...pet-schwartzel

https://world101.cfr.org/global-era-...llywood-movies

get your head out of your ass.
Yeah they market high-budget, action flicks with little to no cultural baggage to China. Not smart indie flicks that fly over the head of most of the older audience in America, let alone Asia. Like I said, who is going to watch this in China?

Old 03-14-2023, 10:46 AM   #15817
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,160 Times in 1,954 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
2022 wasn't particularly a good year for films, let's be real here. Many of the feels released last year were filmed during COVID.

Michelle deserved the win, she was fine. Oscars always do this shit where they have a lovefest on one film, this year it was EEAAO.

It was a decent film, but not my favorite, the GF loved it though.

I found it to be one of those films that goes out of its way to be "purposely" obtuse in order to seem deep, tons of Easter eggs and the like that you'll miss if you're not paying attention. I felt it had too many plot devices that weren't fletched out or explained properly, but that's just me.

I much more enjoyed The Whale and All Quiet On The Western Front, but damn, we've seen enough WW1/2 films winning Oscars
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2023, 01:12 PM   #15818
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,553 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
EEAAO was a great film. Nice to see a movie that's not the 20th instalment of some franchise.

The whale was also another great film that was 100% story driven.

We need more lower budget films. EEAAO cost 25 mill to make and the whale cost 3 million to make.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:59 PM   #15819
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
So when watching Everything everywhere my neighbour has a little home theatre setup and invited me over to watch. He offers some weed gummies before and we eat em chill a little and then start watching

When it got to that point early on when it runs credits like the movie is over buddy gets up just ripped and is like hmm.. what a weird movie?!? Convinced it’s over lol
Old 03-14-2023, 02:14 PM   #15820
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,927 Times in 2,565 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
What's so special about Will Smith? He played a middle aged black father but he is one (King Richard)

What's so special about Anthony Hopkins? He played an old white man and he's one too! (The Father)

Yes Asians who make up 5% of the population of the US. Asians who were ignored for over a century of cinema and pigeonholed into stereotypes. China doesn't give a fuck about Asian American stories. So let's all of a sudden give it to the Asian-American so we can sell more tickets....to Asians?

Again, who is rigging every single fucking award show this year to give it to them?

We get it you don't like her performance but you don't have to diminish it down to racial preference.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2023, 02:29 PM   #15821
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,551 Times in 4,927 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
I was once up for invite to join freemasons............. I respectfully declined.

I'd rather join the Water Buffalo Lodge (Flintstones). OR, continue with RS Beatdown Crew. Mr. Happy Bubble and Barnston Island secret drag strip.

BTW, anyone on RS a Freemason?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 03-14-2023 at 02:39 PM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2023, 02:37 PM   #15822

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
What's so special about Will Smith? He played a middle aged black father but he is one (King Richard).
Correction, middle aged black father in a 'closed' marriage. That's a huge stretch man!
Old 03-14-2023, 03:35 PM   #15823
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Count me in as those who did not enjoy EEOAO.

I watched EEOAO and turned it off when I saw the screen say "Third Act" or whatever, due to long dragged out boredom and predictability, and finished watching it a few days later just for some closure.

This was before the show won any awards and I didn't even know the plot or type of movie it was. I just thought it was be cool to see a mostly asian-cast movie.

So yes, I am very surprised by all the wins that followed it.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2023, 03:41 PM   #15824

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I was once up for invite to join freemasons............. I respectfully declined.

I'd rather join the Water Buffalo Lodge (Flintstones). OR, continue with RS Beatdown Crew. Mr. Happy Bubble and Barnston Island secret drag strip.

BTW, anyone on RS a Freemason?
They take asians!? Where can I sign up
Old 03-14-2023, 04:25 PM   #15825
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,551 Times in 4,927 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Yup. Basically two people have to vouch for you and the vetting process begins (application process). People of good moral standing. It’s not a social climbing type of organization. Every lodge is slightly different. Not saying anymore. Visit a lodge yourself (with a member).
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote