REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:54 AM   #17401
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
There's more than just a couple of RS members from Van Tech, gulolololol...........

East Van Rules!
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 08:05 AM   #17402
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,271 Times in 525 Posts
^is that y you're in Burnaby now?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:08 AM   #17403
MG1

Can't afford Vancouver............. would, if I could.

I don't think I can afford the place where I grew up (DTES). So sad.

Moved out to the Valley (White Suburbia / Bible Belt) to get closer to work (Abbotsford). By the time I was ready to move back, too late. House I live in now is half the house, twice the price. I had a very nice place in Walnut Grove. All paid off, too.

I blame it all on Expo 86. We should have stayed a village.

https://bcsportshall.com/curator-cor...l-soccer-bowl/ I remember chuckling a bit when I was watching the game at work. Still, better than being named a hamlet.

Last edited by MG1; 07-24-2023 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:18 AM   #17404
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,678 Times in 5,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Britannia was never tough........ just under half the student body were made up of skinny chinese kids. The other half were guido wannabe's

Any trouble makers got sent to Templeton, then Van Tech. Van Tech was the breeding grounds of the worst of the worst. This, of course, back in my day.

JO was a "who cares," kind of school. Tupper had a bit of a bad rep. Killarney and Windemere, just like JO. Nothing came out of there. Gladstone was interesting, though.

Anyway, school is nothing like it used to be. The only school I knew of from the other side of the tracks, was Magee. Nuff said.

Then there was Notre Dame (private school). Damn football team. No fair. All that money thrown their way. Still, Brit gave them a run for their money.

Bruins vs the Jokers. We had Barry Houlihan. They had Lui Passaglia.

Addendum: I kind of take that back. Brit did have a portable for students with issues. Pregnant girls, drug addicts, basic, "headed to prison," types. They were placed in a portable as far away as possible from the "normal" kids. I think the class was referred to as 8J, or something like that. I don't even think they were mentioned in the yearbook. Speaking of yearbooks, I've gotta find my collection. Such great memories.
Notre Dame wasn’t the jokers, it’s the “jugglers”

And it’s not a juggler like a jester or a joker it’s some sort of religious term which I have a feeling is like an inanimate object lol

My wife went to ND so I always laugh at quite possibly the worst team name that ever existed lol.. she went before the newer school was there and she had all these stories of how her parents were fundraising every fucking weekend for the school doing bingo etc.

I always laugh at that because I went to Fraser heights when it was a brand new public school in 2000 and we had amazing facilities, a fantastic field etc. where as her parents were fund raising for 4 years so that 20 years later they could pay for their nice new turf field lol
Old 07-24-2023, 08:19 AM   #17405
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,890 Times in 2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
^is that y you're in Burnaby now?
it's for eye candy

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 08:21 AM   #17406
MG1

Juggler/Joker same difference. I guess we all knew them as Jokers, gulolol.

I drove by their school not that long ago. That new field. Wow.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:23 AM   #17407
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
it's for eye candy
There's eye candy everywhere.............. Walnut Grove........... dat new overpass.

I was referring to joggers going over the.................. (Almost typed in juggler). Was thinking jugs............... not the football team.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:23 AM   #17408
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 9,661 Times in 3,477 Posts
we used to go just to pick up their women. although they never wanted to associate with us boys from the hood.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:26 AM   #17409
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
we used to go just to pick up their women. although they never wanted to associate with us boys from the hood.
Cue, "Uptown Girl," by Billy Joel.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #17410
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,145 Times in 3,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
And it’s not a juggler like a jester or a joker it’s some sort of religious term which I have a feeling is like an inanimate object lol
I was curious so I searched and apparently it's based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Jongleur_de_Notre_Dame

Quote:
Le Jongleur de Notre Dame is a religious miracle story by the French author Anatole France, first printed in a newspaper in 1890, and published in a short story collection in 1892. It is based on an old medieval legend, similar to the later Christmas carol The Little Drummer Boy. The title character is a monk who was formerly a carnival performer. The other monks all have made beautiful works in honor of the Virgin Mary: hymns, icons, stained glass windows, and so on. But he has no such craft. So one night he goes into the chapel and performs his best juggling tricks before the statue of the Virgin. The other monks see this and would punish him for blasphemy, but the statue comes to life and blesses the juggler for his gift.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #17411

Somehow it gets even worse knowing that lol..
Old 07-24-2023, 08:40 AM   #17412
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,466 Times in 5,494 Posts
Honda out there right now searching for a statue of the Virgin Mary and learning to juggle from YouTube.

I think MG1 might be mixing up with John Oliver… their team name is Jokers.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:43 AM   #17413
MG1

RIGHT!!!!!!

JO Jokers, lol.

Eric Hamber. went there many times for........................................... summer band camp, gulolol.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:55 AM   #17414
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,747 Times in 1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
this guy i work with has his kid in vantech. He says theres no fights anymore, no kids hanging around the stairs on the west side of the building smoking (you know where the adults drop off their kids?)

When's the last time you heard of a shanking in a high school? these new kids are much more tame than us.
Last year in Tweedsmuir there was one but I think it was a situation of kid gets jumped and stabs kid jumping him, obviously there was something that lead up to that, I don't really think the schools dangerous.

I believe I've mentioned this before but when I moved to Surrey in 1988 and was in elementary school a kid got stabbed for the same reason. The best part, not expulsion, both kids got suspended a few days and then were back together in the same class room, no way in hell that happens today lol.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 09:03 AM   #17415
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,872 Times in 755 Posts
Quote:
As if any of those schools were ever “rough” to begin with

What’s the average household value of someone going to John Oliver? 3 million? Lol
What high school did you go to?

There were tons of fights when I was in highschool. There were also multiple stabbings and tons of beltings. I remember going to Patterson station multiple times and watching guys AND girls get stomped. There must have been over 100 kids watching sometimes.

You were either in the Bindy Johal era or the Young and Dangerous era where guys thought they were gangsters. And there were tons of guys dealing drugs and it wasn't uncommon to hear about them getting killed. I know two friends of mine who were shot and killed. That was probably more a function of them being drug dealers than anything, but they still went to school with us.

Van Tech, Templeton, and Brit definitely had reputations as being "rough" as most of the kids that got kicked out of highschools went there, but that didn't exclude the highschools further south of having DD and bad kids.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 09:07 AM   #17416
MG1

^^Kirpan?

I hear they are dull as the posts on RS.

Then again, there's John Wick and pencils. Nuff said.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:11 AM   #17417

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
What high school did you go to?

There were tons of fights when I was in highschool. There were also multiple stabbings and tons of beltings. I remember going to Patterson station multiple times and watching guys AND girls get stomped. There must have been over 100 kids watching sometimes.

You were either in the Bindy Johal era or the Young and Dangerous era where guys thought they were gangsters. And there were tons of guys dealing drugs and it wasn't uncommon to hear about them getting killed. I know two friends of mine who were shot and killed. That was probably more a function of them being drug dealers than anything, but they still went to school with us.

Van Tech, Templeton, and Brit definitely had reputations as being "rough" as most of the kids that got kicked out of highschools went there, but that didn't exclude the highschools further south of having DD and bad kids.
me thinks Honda grew up in some fru fru rich area. not hood rats like us.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 09:12 AM   #17418

Went to Fraser heights, which was the opposite of rough lol however interacted with a lot of people from Guildford park etc. which may be considered “rough” at the time. And there was the occasional stabbing etc. one of my best friends first day at north Surrey in like 98 a hand gun fell out of a guys jacket and it was a big thing lol

I’m moreso saying relative to what you’d call “rough” in the states or even many parts of Ontario like Scarborough etc. which had legimate housing ghettos, most of Vancouver was pretty tame.

East van was def much rougher in those early 90’s to 2000’s than today. However a lot of those “bad” kids probably still came from “ok” families. There hasn’t really been a time when the lower mainland was stricken with poverty. It’s probably worse now generally speaking than it ever had been before.

Back then though prior to the internet and the resources available I’m sure a good chunk of the bad kids were from immigrant families who were even moreso oblivious to the idea of assimilating into Canadian society than they are today

Edit* although.. I have a couple friends who went to Fraser heights a few years younger than my and they had classmates that eventually ended up as torsos in shallow graves so I guess it’s who ya know lol
Old 07-24-2023, 09:15 AM   #17419

oh for sure, compared to ontario and other east coast places vancouver is tame. But not that we would know, we grew up here and it was already pretty bad.

I recall witnessing a fight at tech, these two dudes going at it. Big crowd of kids egging them on. One of them collapsed on my bicycle, so i beat them both up for scratching my bike. Principle comes up, asked what's going on here?!?! we all said we were just "playing" even though these kids had a black eyes and bleeding noses.

Ah the good ole days.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 09:22 AM   #17420

Growing up in Surrey I probably never thought I’d call East Van home as an adult but what I find interesting is my wife who grew up in the house we live in now recalls times when east van was seemingly rough AF and they had like a block watch to call out drug deals constantly going down, friends and family in the area had their homes broken into quite frequently etc.

Obviously now it’s been incredibly gentrified, but given the societal issues we have presently with homelessness and drug addiction etc. you’d think areas like mine that are in relatively close proximity to the DTES would be as bad if not worse than before. But I guess people Don’t stand for shit like that once it becomes an upper middle class hood and the pressure to police etc. grows.

I get kinda pissed off when we have some friends who live at like main and 16th talk about Hastings sunrise like it’s the core of the DTES, I want to be like bitch, you got fucking crack heads picking cans 5 feet away from your head while you’re sleeping and you think our area is bad? lol we don’t see any of that in our area really yet you think the area honestly, I walk around quite a bit at night and I’m honestly surprised how dead it is (or at least free of seedy characters for the most part)

Also the evolution of technology and the visibility crime gets these days probably has a hand in it as well. Just a thought I always have hearing my wife talk about growing up in the area
Old 07-24-2023, 09:28 AM   #17421
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,872 Times in 755 Posts
Growing up in East Van, I never really heard much news about Surrey. I guess because internet wasn't a thing to get news, so I don't really know how bad it was in the Guildford Park area. I do remember LA Matheson being bad too, but had no experience with Surrey at all.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:36 AM   #17422

Guildford park was the first school I ever heard of having a day care for students kids, and that was in the late 90’s/early 2000’s

Although that might have been an urban legend lol
Old 07-24-2023, 09:37 AM   #17423
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,485 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
As if any of those schools were ever “rough” to begin with

What’s the average household value of someone going to John Oliver? 3 million? Lol
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ling-1.3640715

I remember this in high school outside my friends house by JO.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:43 AM   #17424
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,747 Times in 1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Growing up in East Van, I never really heard much news about Surrey. I guess because internet wasn't a thing to get news, so I don't really know how bad it was in the Guildford Park area. I do remember LA Matheson being bad too, but had no experience with Surrey at all.
I went to that school in the early 90's and then QE for 11-12. I don't know if it was that bad, I never really had too many issues but I hung around with some big guys in both schools that nobody really wanted to fuck with. There were fights without a doubt, I watched my buddy who is still one of my best friends today beat the shit out of two guys at once at QE throwing one of them down a flight of stairs and pummelling the other one. It's not like violence was a daily thing though or you were scared to walk around the school.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:51 AM   #17425
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,206 Times in 411 Posts
Quote:
Guildford park was the first school I ever heard of having a day care for students kids, and that was in the late 90’s/early 2000’s

Although that might have been an urban legend lol
Tupper had a program for teen moms in the 90s.
People always asked me "why are there all these yearbook pics with girls holding babies?" When looking through my yearbooks.

Bindy lived next door to a Teacher at Tupper. The teacher's tenant was killed when a hit went wrong. They thought he was Bindy as they both had rotties they walked at night.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: