REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-14-2023, 03:50 PM   #17801
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,597 Times in 2,543 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Went to Bellingham Costco a few months ago and they sell flats of the mexican coke.
Went to the back alley behind Nanaimo Costco and also found mexican coke.
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2023, 03:50 PM   #17802
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
I've seen Superstore carry the occasional Mexican coke in a bottle.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:02 PM   #17803
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,966 Times in 5,664 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
some people are totally addicted to aspartame. i was in the states for work once and one of the tech guys, super smart dude, very neatly dressed, military style clean haircut, athletic slim build, stands up straight, etc etc... had like 2 flats of diet coke under his desk and i would see him drinking at least 2 a day (prob drinks way more). gross habit, probably has shit teeth by now from all the acid wear.
A lot of workout influencers promote drinking diet sodas like crazy on their feeds... they don't come right out and say it but it's always present in their photos.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:02 PM   #17804
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,219 Times in 1,253 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Why drink diet anyways, it tastes like shit.

Just drink a normal Coke, but less often, god damnit.
Agreed 100%!

I can tolerate a Coke Zero, but a normal Coke is the gold standard.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2023, 04:15 PM   #17805
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Someone here had radiant floor heating and then added heat pumps. I forgot who that was and wanted to know if they got any of the government rebates for putting in the heat pumps.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:35 PM   #17806
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
Anyone see what looks like a meteor towards the northwest direction?

https://imgur.com/a/HYMOxtA

Or is it a UFO
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:00 PM   #17807
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,598 Times in 4,952 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
See those all the time. Nothing special. A plane taking a piss. Releasing something, on purpose. Can'tremember the details, but it's a thing. Maybe JD13? Can chime in.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2023, 09:44 PM   #17808
in the butt

Thanked 3,551 Times in 1,295 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post

Or is it a UFO
My gf was giving me head, then I looked up and saw the same thing In the same direction

And now I read you post

But mg is correct, airplane

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2023, 10:31 PM   #17809
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post

Or is it a UFO
Perseid meteor shower???

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-meteor-shower
bokch0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 07:19 AM   #17810
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,966 Times in 5,664 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Has anyone here had to deal with aging parents who start to get really weird views on stuff? Like, they've been normal politically speaking or religiously most of their life but then suddenly it's like they start latching onto FB groups or talking incessantly to small groups of people who have... less than ideal views of the world?

My mom is up there in age now and in the last 6 months I basically can't go over to their house anymore without getting in a big argument with her because she just goes on and on about trans people and pronouns and that she's glad Gal Gadot isn't in the Barbie movie because she's Israeli and "Barbie isn't Israeli" to which I told her if she actually watched the movie she'd realize how ridiculous that statement is since the whole point of the movie is that anyone can be Barbie. It culminated the other day in a mini-rant about China people forcing us out of our own city in front of my GF who, despite growing up in Canada, is from China. Of course she threw in the obligatory "except you" at the end because that makes it all better.

It's becoming quite tedious and I'm concerned about her shutting off, she seems to be becoming more and more negative and miserable the more she gets into this stuff. Suggestions to talk to different people or change up her echo room a bit or perhaps even just realize that what she's reading might not be truthful have so far fallen on very deaf ears.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 07:30 AM   #17811

Thanked 10,274 Times in 3,679 Posts
Failed 470 Times in 235 Posts
I think like most of our parents, and us to an extent, their social network shrinks when they get older and this in turns them into semi recluses.

My mom is basically bat shit crazy now. She freaks about health related crap and has basically nothing else to talk about other than health related garbage. She has no real friends and all her friends and family her age all talk about the same bs.

Can’t do much with them other than keep encouraging them to be more out going.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:03 AM   #17812
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Could have been UTI until you said past 6 months. Dementia. If she's got a regular GP that knows what her normal is, it may help with diagnosing changes in behaviour like that.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:27 AM   #17813
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,598 Times in 4,952 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I think like most of our parents, and us to an extent, their social network shrinks when they get older and this in turns them into semi recluses.

My mom is basically bat shit crazy now. She freaks about health related crap and has basically nothing else to talk about other than health related garbage. She has no real friends and all her friends and family her age all talk about the same bs.

Can’t do much with them other than keep encouraging them to be more out going.
Which is why I post shit on RS, jbol...................
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 08:46 AM   #17814
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,344 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Has anyone here had to deal with aging parents who start to get really weird views on stuff? Like, they've been normal politically speaking or religiously most of their life but then suddenly it's like they start latching onto FB groups or talking incessantly to small groups of people who have... less than ideal views of the world?

My mom is up there in age now and in the last 6 months I basically can't go over to their house anymore without getting in a big argument with her because she just goes on and on about trans people and pronouns and that she's glad Gal Gadot isn't in the Barbie movie because she's Israeli and "Barbie isn't Israeli" to which I told her if she actually watched the movie she'd realize how ridiculous that statement is since the whole point of the movie is that anyone can be Barbie. It culminated the other day in a mini-rant about China people forcing us out of our own city in front of my GF who, despite growing up in Canada, is from China. Of course she threw in the obligatory "except you" at the end because that makes it all better.

It's becoming quite tedious and I'm concerned about her shutting off, she seems to be becoming more and more negative and miserable the more she gets into this stuff. Suggestions to talk to different people or change up her echo room a bit or perhaps even just realize that what she's reading might not be truthful have so far fallen on very deaf ears.
Getting there. And my parents aren't even that old. My mom is 62 and my dad is 70. Dad can't keep up with the current advance with AI stuff and in the last few months have put him in a really hard place where he can't tell what's real and what's not and since it's a video therefore it's real. Less political but rather he shows me videos and shit thinking fake stuff is real.

My mom has just become a safety and health nut. My wife is from Shanghai and we've been thinking about bringing the kids back to see her grandpa/kid's great grandpa and my mom is freaking out about the kids being kidnapped. She was showing me a video of two guys fighting with a kidnapper. I'm like it's not that bad otherwise no one would have kids in China.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM   #17815

Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,341 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:

My parents have been insufferable for the last 10 years, every time I see them or get off the phone with them I feel worse. Life is terrible, the world is horrible, health is horrible.

My parents live in another Province, I still make sure we talk at least a few times a week but seriously always bad news never anything positive, it's so miserable.

I don't argue anymore even if I disagree, no point I just move the conversation along not acknowledging the bait and even if I have advice on maybe things they could do to improve whatever their bitching about I just keep it to myself because been there done that, not worth the fight.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #17816
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:

My mother is getting there, stemmed from health scares during the covid years that caused her to be paranoid about vaccines and general doctor recommendations presented in mainstream media. What's ironic is that my younger sister that lives with them is studying to become a doctor. Thankfully she isn't so far off and I can still talk to her on these topics in a civilized manner (for now).

My father is more trusting of doctor recommendations, but he's turning more disgruntled by all the social media content posted online regarding bad citizen behavior. Lately, he's fixated on dashcam videos and saying how dangerous it is to drive, and I have to remind him that a YT channel on dashcam videos will only show content involving crashes.

It's interesting (and worrying) to see them navigate the way around all this social media content - there's way more content compared to what they grew up with and they don't have enough experience to filter through what they're seeing and recognize each creator's biases.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:17 AM   #17817
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,363 Times in 1,274 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
My mom was always crazy so nothing she says or does really surprises me anymore that's about the only perk when dealing with her lol
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:18 AM   #17818

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,769 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread

Pictures of a sunrise in Iceland. Two pictures of that country’s landscape. Spectacular!

Pics from a family friend who is on an Iceland cruise now:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #17819
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
@pastarocket - beautiful shots!!!
bokch0y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 09:47 AM   #17820
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,651 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
It's one thing to follow the news, but it is an entirely different issue when you listen to these so-called content creators from online sources.

My dad has somehow picked up the (bad) habit of listening to a lot of dubious sources from YouTube, in addition to following traditional news sources. His excuse is -- he needs to get a balanced view on the issues at hand, but when I happened to be drop by their place, somehow I am always able to hear a lot of untruths and conspiracy theories that these so-called content creators are spewing. I had tried telling him how those are BS / fake news at first, but he just kind of defaults to acknowledging it and keeps listening, or uses his "balanced view" excuse again. I have since stopped trying to tell him not to listen to this BS since it is just wasted effort where I get myself all worked up.

During COVID, my mom would occasionally pass along these news with dubious claims to us as well. Fortunately, between the siblings, someone is always there to correct her or point out the fallacies, and she'd be OK with not believing it. But then when the next round of fake news comes, it's rinse and repeat again. At least we can keep her straight.

As you can probably tell, I squarely blame these garbage spewing content creators for spreading the lies that they do. It is one thing to be mis-informed, but it is entirely another issue when you repeatedly spew dis-information that is known to be false. It isn't even a matter of opinion -- it is factually incorrect stuff that they are spewing. It is infuriating because you can't shut them down as that'd be a violation on freedom of speech. But these fxxkers are clearly taking advantage of and abusing their right to the freedom of speech, and are mis-informing people.

But hey, that's what climate change deniers, anti-vax people, and conspiracy theorists are, right?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:14 AM   #17821
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,870 Times in 5,920 Posts
Failed 2,053 Times in 684 Posts
At the same time no one is forcing anyone to watch that content.

Would you rather have Justin hand picking what’s fed to people? Lol it’s bad enough with the CBC etc.

There’s no middle ground really, you search every news outlet and it’s got some weird bias/dubious ownership. Imo most of this “news” wouldn’t have any impact on you if you never saw it to begin with. I think the issue are the algorithms that spoon feed you the stuff reinforcing your views based on the “news” being directed to you
Old 08-16-2023, 10:26 AM   #17822
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
There’s no middle ground really, you search every news outlet and it’s got some weird bias/dubious ownership. Imo most of this “news” wouldn’t have any impact on you if you never saw it to begin with. I think the issue are the algorithms that spoon feed you the stuff reinforcing your views based on the “news” being directed to you
I try to teach my parents how the algorithm works with social media content, but it's not the easiest concept for them to grasp. My father's YouTube page is packed with dashcam crash videos, and the sheer volume of this type of content undoubtedly shaped his slanted thinking that driving is unsafe. Doesn't help that he's not a good driver which only amplifies his insecurities with driving overall.

The topic in my father's case is pretty harmless, but when you throw in more sensitive topics like politics and religion it can spiral pretty quickly.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:35 AM   #17823
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,651 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
It is also extremely disappointing how such a large number of people have no ability to discern between real facts and dubious claims. Granted, mainstream media is far from perfect, and would of course have their political leanings as well. Still, wouldn't your BS alarm go off when stuff has repeatedly been proven to be false / fake?

It is exactly like the meme that says:

Parents then: Don't believe everything you see on TV.
Parents now: But I saw it in my Fackbook group!

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 10:47 AM   #17824
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,323 Times in 2,077 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 140 Posts
For those with parents going cray cray ... principle # 1 - do not engage in debate with them about any particular issue. First of all, it won't work to change their minds and secondly, it will result in both parties feeling frustrated, angry, and upset.

Imagine the tip of the iceberg analogy. Whatever bat shit thing they are talking about is the tip of the iceberg ... find out what is underneath and you will make strides and progress to calm their anxiety (what I hear from most of the above) down.

Again ... logic, reason, even showing proof WON'T work. It's not cognitive, something is going on underneath emotionally for them. My guess is anxiety, fear, knowing that they are nearing end of life, anger, resentment, etc.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 11:27 AM   #17825

Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,341 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
For those with parents going cray cray ... principle # 1 - do not engage in debate with them about any particular issue. First of all, it won't work to change their minds and secondly, it will result in both parties feeling frustrated, angry, and upset.

Imagine the tip of the iceberg analogy. Whatever bat shit thing they are talking about is the tip of the iceberg ... find out what is underneath and you will make strides and progress to calm their anxiety (what I hear from most of the above) down.

Again ... logic, reason, even showing proof WON'T work. It's not cognitive, something is going on underneath emotionally for them. My guess is anxiety, fear, knowing that they are nearing end of life, anger, resentment, etc.
Yup, this is it right here. That's the only thing that's made conversations with my parents a bit easier. Don't engage, don't react just keep the conversation moving.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: