REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-18-2023, 01:10 PM   #17876
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
^LOL I don't live at home, but don't worry he's cool. He has Asian friends, he's not a racist or anything, he's just come obsessed about China's initiatives in Africa, feeling that it's exploitive.

He preferred the British being there because he felt they made an attempt to bring structure and governance to the country, where as the Chinese could give a flying fuck about any of that crap.
I mean, he's not wrong Mike. China's entry into Africa is fully exploitative - Africa is basically the major last untapped continent, there's so much resources available that haven't been touched yet due to corruption, mismanagement, remoteness etc. China wants to colonize Africa but in a much more subtle way than the Europeans did, and with much less actual on the ground boots/structure.
Advertisement
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2023, 01:38 PM   #17877
in the butt

Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,246 Posts

China says they are boosting Africa's economy, when in reality they are trying to bankrupt Africa

-China gives a loan to Africa for infrastructure upgrades
-Africa approves build plans
-Money goes right back into Chinese companies
-China brings in their own workers

Now Africa is in debt to China, they usually default on the loan, and there is usually a greasy clause that states China will own X or Y on default of loan

At least someone corrupt in the government makes a nice payday in Africa, everyone else in Africa loses out

On top of that, all of these infrastructure plans are to help build Chinas "Silk Road". Nothing to do with "let's help africa".

Chinas initiatives in Africa, amongst other countries, is heavily exploitive

Then again, every country is guilty on some level, in some form, of being a shitty country. Same goes for humans no matter where you are

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
this guy is the embodiment of a cross cab owner.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2023, 01:45 PM   #17878
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,973 Posts
^ definition of Economic colonialism ...
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 01:51 PM   #17879
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,572 Times in 5,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post

China says they are boosting Africa's economy, when in reality they are trying to bankrupt Africa

-China gives a loan to Africa for infrastructure upgrades
-Africa approves build plans
-Money goes right back into Chinese companies
-China brings in their own workers

Now Africa is in debt to China, they usually default on the loan, and there is usually a greasy clause that states China will own X or Y on default of loan

At least someone corrupt in the government makes a nice payday in Africa, everyone else in Africa loses out

On top of that, all of these infrastructure plans are to help build Chinas "Silk Road". Nothing to do with "let's help africa".

Chinas initiatives in Africa, amongst other countries, is heavily exploitive

Then again, every country is guilty on some level, in some form, of being a shitty country. Same goes for humans no matter where you are
Yea I was gonna post somthing along the same line but didn’t have the energy lol

I watch some YouTubers who travel a lot in Africa and they visit some hella poor countries or places where you either live in a corrugated steel shack or a mansion, and China had come into these places and built crazy infrastructure but the guy who is the YouTubers guide there is like “no one ever thought we needed this bridge” etc.

Russia is doing the same thing

But then I think to one of my best friends parents who lived in Africa (The DRC) for 6 years running a eucalyptus mill for a French company.

Like, is that any better? Maybe because it provides into the local economy but it’s kindA the same thing
Old 08-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #17880
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,281 Posts
I mean read what the Belgians did to the Congo (Now the DRC) in the 19th Century. That's some real fucked up shit right there, kinda explains why they're in the situation they're in today.

What you guys are describing the "debt-trap diplomacy" in conjunction Belt and Road initiative (not the silk road, i mean that shit's been around for a millenia) has sorta been debunked in recent years. Basically it's rich people fucking over poor people:

The Chinese ‘Debt Trap’ Is a Myth

Quote:
China, we are told, inveigles poorer countries into taking out loan after loan to build expensive infrastructure that they can’t afford and that will yield few benefits, all with the end goal of Beijing eventually taking control of these assets from its struggling borrowers. As states around the world pile on debt to combat the coronavirus pandemic and bolster flagging economies, fears of such possible seizures have only amplified.

Seen this way, China’s internationalization—as laid out in programs such as the Belt and Road Initiative—is not simply a pursuit of geopolitical influence but also, in some tellings, a weapon. Once a country is weighed down by Chinese loans, like a hapless gambler who borrows from the Mafia, it is Beijing’s puppet and in danger of losing a limb.

The prime example of this is the Sri Lankan port of Hambantota. As the story goes, Beijing pushed Sri Lanka into borrowing money from Chinese banks to pay for the project, which had no prospect of commercial success. Onerous terms and feeble revenues eventually pushed Sri Lanka into default, at which point Beijing demanded the port as collateral, forcing the Sri Lankan government to surrender control to a Chinese firm.

The Trump administration pointed to Hambantota to warn of China’s strategic use of debt: In 2018, former Vice President Mike Pence called it “debt-trap diplomacy”—a phrase he used through the last days of the administration—and evidence of China’s military ambitions. Last year, erstwhile Attorney General William Barr raised the case to argue that Beijing is “loading poor countries up with debt, refusing to renegotiate terms, and then taking control of the infrastructure itself.”

As Michael Ondaatje, one of Sri Lanka’s greatest chroniclers, once said, “In Sri Lanka a well-told lie is worth a thousand facts.” And the debt-trap narrative is just that: a lie, and a powerful one.

The notion of “debt-trap diplomacy” casts China as a conniving creditor and countries such as Sri Lanka as its credulous victims. On a closer look, however, the situation is far more complex. China’s march outward, like its domestic development, is probing and experimental, a learning process marked by frequent adjustment. After the construction of the port in Hambantota, for example, Chinese firms and banks learned that strongmen fall and that they’d better have strategies for dealing with political risk. They’re now developing these strategies, getting better at discerning business opportunities and withdrawing where they know they can’t win. Still, American leaders and thinkers from both sides of the aisle give speeches about China’s “modern-day colonialism.”
And just to get your tin foil hat on, Honda. There's a JUSTIN connection via his favorite Quebec based company:

Quote:
It was the Canadian International Development Agency—not China—that financed Canada’s leading engineering and construction firm, SNC-Lavalin, to carry out a feasibility study for the port. We obtained more than 1,000 pages of documents detailing this effort through a Freedom of Information Act request. The study, concluded in 2003, confirmed that building the port at Hambantota was feasible, and supporting documents show that the Canadians’ greatest fear was losing the project to European competitors. SNC-Lavalin recommended that it be undertaken through a joint-venture agreement between the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) and a “private consortium” on a build-own-operate-transfer basis, a type of project in which a single company receives a contract to undertake all the steps required to get such a port up and running, and then gets to operate it when it is.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 08-18-2023 at 02:34 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #17881
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,397 Times in 2,476 Posts
lol it's funny to think that its very likely on some instinctual level China doing this shit to fuck over African countries is motivated by jealousy over BBC and mandingos.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-18-2023, 02:28 PM   #17882

Thanked 1,783 Times in 920 Posts
Anyone have recommendations on a cheaper option to replace a flip key for a 2010 Acura? The dealership wants like over $300 for a new key that shits highway robbery right there.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 02:42 PM   #17883
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
lol it's funny to think that its very likely on some instinctual level China doing this shit to fuck over African countries is motivated by jealousy over BBC and mandingos.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2023, 03:36 PM   #17884
in the butt

Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,246 Posts
Anyone know someone in Houston TX?

Looking to pick something up off the C7 forums, only other option is PayPal.....

Inbox me if so please

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
this guy is the embodiment of a cross cab owner.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:00 PM   #17885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Lol I deserve that.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 08-18-2023, 05:32 PM   #17886
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,973 Posts
Damn ...things are getting really serious. Premier declared BC a state of Emergency!
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 05:33 PM   #17887
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,868 Times in 2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Lol, yeah he's got other ones as well like NBA Jam, NHL Open Ice, NFL Blitz, his issue is space.
he should try to add time crisis 1 for his collection

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:36 PM   #17888
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
What you guys are describing the "debt-trap diplomacy" in conjunction Belt and Road initiative (not the silk road, i mean that shit's been around for a millenia) has sorta been debunked in recent years. Basically it's rich people fucking over poor people:
I'd disagree with the Atlantic's suggestion that China's debt-trap diplomacy has been debunked. It is very much still an attempt at debt-trap diplomacy by China. It's just that due to the nature of certain African country's inherent instability, China has at times been bitten by the very same country they try to debt-trap when the new strongman refuses to recognize the debt incurred by the previous administration.

The Atlantic is correct though, that it is something China has continued to expand, explore, and refine. And they have been getting better at it. On the other hand, as China's own economy is heading fast towards a down turn, they have had far less money dedicated to the BRI (Belt & Road Initiative) nowadays than before.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:32 PM   #17889
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,166 Posts
I've been reading and listening to articles that are saying that the B&R initiative has stalled the last two years through covid as China was grappling with their economy and lock downs, and also being burnt by some countries as they refused to recognize the debt like you said. It's not worked out the way that they had hoped
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:08 AM   #17890
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,947 Times in 8,264 Posts
Everyone has probably seen my post in the pet forum.. I don't want to bump that so I'll just say here that Jett has come home!

He is pretty beat up but he's very much himself, talking constantly, standing by me in the kitchen but mostly resting in a box

Thanks everyone for your support! 2 weeks of hell, I had to just let it all out. When I found out he's coming home I couldn't help but to cry
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 10:30 AM   #17891

Guy trying every item at duffins donuts and documenting it

Fuck I miss going to duffins late night.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2023, 10:54 AM   #17892
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:

https://twitter.com/Samuel9560/statu...99729739051008

I read through most of his ratings and I agree with him on the ones I've eaten - the teriyaki chicken and honey dip are great (among others).
Old 08-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #17893

Thanked 1,783 Times in 920 Posts
Quote:

https://twitter.com/Samuel9560/statu...99729739051008

I miss it more when it was located at Main and 33rd and I'd go and see the viet sisters working.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2023, 07:39 PM   #17894
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
Diet Coke spotted at Superstore on Grandview Hwy. I purchased the last two fridge mates or whatever they call them tucked way back behind the Coke Zero. They also had the 6x710 mL, but way too expensive. I'm good for awhile.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 07:57 PM   #17895
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Diet Coke spotted at Superstore on Grandview Hwy. I purchased the last two fridge mates or whatever they call them tucked way back behind the Coke Zero. They also had the 6x710 mL, but way too expensive. I'm good for awhile.
Is there a short supply of these? They're readily available at Tsawwassen Walmart.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 08:49 PM   #17896
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
There was a time they were nowhere to be found because of the strike at Coca Cola. I guess they shipped them over from some god forsaken plant in buttfuck nowhere.

Nothing at any Costco in the Lower Mainland and beyond. Only Edmonton had a dozen.......... like what?

It is a strike, so Costco probably honours the strike and are not bringing any in. The weird thing is, Coke Zero and Regular Coke is everywhere.

LOL, Walmart........... those guys probably don't give a shit. There's money to be made.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 10:20 AM   #17897
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,059 Times in 3,942 Posts
I don't know the specifics of the strike but I think it's just the Richmond plant, the one in Calgary is owned by the same group and is still operating.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2023, 01:15 PM   #17898
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,025 Posts
Paging Badhobz....

I was at the Metrotown T&T today and there's a lady of non-Chinese descent working the till - I think she was Middle Eastern, maybe Mediterranean. Wild.

Some day, but not today, we'll have non-old Chinese ladies here doing stuff like making dim sum, wonton, and bao.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2023, 01:26 PM   #17899
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

lol i went to get Chinese mango dessert (Hui Lau San) in Richmond the other night and was greeted by a Caucasian guy. Me *surprised pikachu face* Seemed like he enjoyed it tho
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2023, 03:02 PM   #17900

Thanked 9,402 Times in 3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Paging Badhobz....

I was at the Metrotown T&T today and there's a lady of non-Chinese descent working the till - I think she was Middle Eastern, maybe Mediterranean. Wild.

Some day, but not today, we'll have non-old Chinese ladies here doing stuff like making dim sum, wonton, and bao.
What the….. must resist urge to go gawk.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote