REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:52 PM   #19301
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
Yeee - driving something REALLY fast is key in the States. Both getting away from danger and being about to get 'around' traffic without using your horn.
My bro got a CR-V Hybrid as he moved to Seattle from NYC and now needs a car. That 204hp combined system power is barely adequate for merging on the USA interstate for 2 guys in it... can't imagine when it's fully loaded. USA interstates are no joke lol.
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2023, 01:15 PM   #19302
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,444 Posts
When I'm driving on the i5 down to Bellingham, I swear a lot of cars are zooming past me at like 150KM/h.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2023, 12:46 AM   #19303
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
My bro got a CR-V Hybrid as he moved to Seattle from NYC and now needs a car. That 204hp combined system power is barely adequate for merging on the USA interstate for 2 guys in it... can't imagine when it's fully loaded. USA interstates are no joke lol.
I went to Portland one year in the car pictured in my avatar, packing a whole 140hp. I had already bought my 330ci but the civic felt like the safer choice. Man I should have taken the 330ci. That said, I remember even on the way to ridge, that thing barely had enough horsepower (225hp) to get around US Interstates. I was constantly getting blocked by prius's. Anyway, I digress.

In the 140hp civic, I got merged into by a old Landcruiser. I honked and flipped him off (through the sunroof). I was 18 and very dumb. Anyway, the guy begins to chase me and this 140hp econobox couldn't outrun a old Landcruiser. My friend's in their s2ks and ITRs had to zoom up as "backup" to get the guy to piss off.

Now all of my friends have FK8s, 35i/M3s or FD2s. We don't worry about that kind of stuff anymore. I think the minimum HP required is around 240whp - a FD2 with FBO. I had a blast driving that back from Ridge and there was definitely no concern for a lack of power to merge or overtake. Hell I even almost caught a speeding ticket in the FK8, but the cop pulled over my other buddy in his FK8 lol.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2023, 07:51 AM   #19304

Thanked 1,328 Times in 581 Posts
States driving, gotta drive it like you stole it.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:14 AM   #19305
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I went to Portland one year in the car pictured in my avatar, packing a whole 140hp. I had already bought my 330ci but the civic felt like the safer choice. Man I should have taken the 330ci. That said, I remember even on the way to ridge, that thing barely had enough horsepower (225hp) to get around US Interstates. I was constantly getting blocked by prius's. Anyway, I digress.

In the 140hp civic, I got merged into by a old Landcruiser. I honked and flipped him off (through the sunroof). I was 18 and very dumb. Anyway, the guy begins to chase me and this 140hp econobox couldn't outrun a old Landcruiser. My friend's in their s2ks and ITRs had to zoom up as "backup" to get the guy to piss off.

Now all of my friends have FK8s, 35i/M3s or FD2s. We don't worry about that kind of stuff anymore. I think the minimum HP required is around 240whp - a FD2 with FBO. I had a blast driving that back from Ridge and there was definitely no concern for a lack of power to merge or overtake. Hell I even almost caught a speeding ticket in the FK8, but the cop pulled over my other buddy in his FK8 lol.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I drove a Highlander V6 1st gen regularly to the states back a decade ago and never had a problem. That thing had like 210hp
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:42 AM   #19306
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,046 Times in 5,339 Posts
TORQUE!
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2023, 09:01 AM   #19307
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 9,351 Times in 3,366 Posts
i found the reverse. Most people just hang out in the slow lane (better lane discipline than canada for sure) going 65-70mph.

I just set my cruise to 70mph and zone out. I hate the i5. its sooooo boring and everything about it sucks till you reach oregon. Even then it still sucks till you reach ashland where it gets twisty into Norcal.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2023, 10:28 AM   #19308
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,273 Times in 406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I think the minimum HP required is around 240whp
New Prius felt quick enough up to 145kmh or so ... the 110-140 passing power seems pretty good. I think it has 190hp or so?
It wouldn't make cars disappear in the rearview like the Mustang/Charger do but I felt confident.

The road design and drivers are just chaotic - need something fast AND responsive
W211 E63 in my bio has a really sleepy transmission that makes me unconfident in NYC.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 12:33 PM   #19309

Thanked 6,719 Times in 1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
When I'm driving on the i5 down to Bellingham, I swear a lot of cars are zooming past me at like 150KM/h.
Everyone zooming are almost always BC plates.

I also notice in the US there are a lot more 'shitty cars'; I get wage disparity and that Vancouver is a bit of an outlier, but the number of 20+ year old Altimas with broken taillights is quite high on the I5.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2023, 01:28 PM   #19310
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,274 Posts
It's because in the US, especially in suburbia and rural areas you NEED to have a car. Whereas poor people in Vancouver get by on transit, if you want to live you need to drive in most of the states.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2023, 02:15 PM   #19311
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post

I also notice in the US there are a lot more 'shitty cars'; I get wage disparity and that Vancouver is a bit of an outlier, but the number of 20+ year old Altimas with broken taillights is quite high on the I5.
Nah, it's mostly WA + OR plates recently. Not a lot of BC plates, too expensive to go down now.

There's a lot more shitty cars in the USA because 1. Nissan finances anyone with a pulse, and these guys don't take care of their cars 2. You NEED a car, no matter how shitty.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #19312

Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post

The 3 things I notice most when driving the I-5 in Washington or Oregon.

1. Subarus - Like WTF? The minute you cross the border to Washington these things are fucking everywhere, from Crosstreks to Foresters and all the in-between. It's bizarre.
2. Hoopty Cars - It's rare to actually see a beater in Vancouver, you see a ton once you cross over. From shitty beaten old 90's/2000s cars, to vehicles with lots of bodywork issues requiring repairs, you'll see them down there.
3. The lack of Teslas - Sure, you see em', but not to the absurd level you see them in Vancouver.

Goes back to what I was saying, you notice how Vancouver is such a weird fishbowl of wealth once you leave the damn place.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2023, 02:22 PM   #19313
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,506 Times in 7,268 Posts
The amount of like $400 cars that are all riced out with tintz and no functioning lights on the I5 is fuckin wild.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2023, 02:33 PM   #19314
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,557 Times in 5,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

1. Subarus - Like WTF? The minute you cross the border to Washington these things are fucking everywhere, from Crosstreks to Foresters and all the in-between. It's bizarre.
2. Hoopty Cars - It's rare to actually see a beater in Vancouver, you see a ton once you cross over. From shitty beaten old 90's/2000s cars, to vehicles with lots of bodywork issues requiring repairs, you'll see them down there.
3. The lack of Teslas - Sure, you see em', but not to the absurd level you see them in Vancouver.

Goes back to what I was saying, you notice how Vancouver is such a weird fishbowl of wealth once you leave the damn place.
There are cars on the i5 in a condition I haven’t seen a vehicle on the road in BC in 20 years lol like they don’t exist/the campers people are living in beside Home Depot etc. here are in better shape than cars driving there
Old 12-22-2023, 02:40 PM   #19315
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,274 Posts
'Murica: the land of freedom to drive around in an unmaintained shitbox without insurance.

FUck YEAH!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2023, 03:04 PM   #19316

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The amount of like $400 cars that are all riced out with tintz and no functioning lights on the I5 is fuckin wild.
We were in Portland with my M3 back in 2019. If we lived there I would not have bought a M3 the roads were brutal and the F80's suspension isn't even that stiff.

That said, we saw a SLAMMED, and I mean almost dragging frame low, Ford Fusion while I was there. They mod everything and anything down there. If it's got 4 wheels and it moves it'll get slammed.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2023, 12:12 PM   #19317
GS8

Thanked 7,368 Times in 2,003 Posts
I sold a car to a guy in Toronto

I'm guessing I fill out the ICBC Transfer / Tax form and then mail that with the signed and torn off registration paper to the seller?

I keep the bottom half?

Then cancel my plates?
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 09:13 PM   #19318
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,022 Posts

Anyone know where I'll be able to see The Goldfinger when it comes out Dec 30th? It's got Tony Leung and Andy Lau in it. Cineplex doesn't have it listed yet.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2023, 09:45 PM   #19319

Why isn’t this in Cantonese. Lame
Old 12-25-2023, 11:17 PM   #19320

Thanked 1,628 Times in 556 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a mandarin dub in that trailer, makes no sense to have a movie take place in 80s Hong Kong and not be cantonese.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 12:13 AM   #19321
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,444 Posts
It'll be in Cantonese for sure. I'm in Taiwan right now and will be watching it here in Cantonese.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 12:50 AM   #19322

Thanked 1,628 Times in 556 Posts

cantonese trailer
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2023, 04:52 AM   #19323

Ah that’s more like it. Wouldn’t make any sense if this shit is in mandarin but from that original trailer it looks like they were speaking mandarin
Old 12-26-2023, 01:55 PM   #19324
RabidMod

Thanked 1,225 Times in 448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
The road design and drivers are just chaotic - need something fast AND responsive
W211 E63 in my bio has a really sleepy transmission that makes me unconfident in NYC.
I thought I'd witnessed the best drivers in the world on the German Autobahn, but for me, it has actually turned out to be the brazen fucks behind the wheel of random old momentum-cars on the highways of LA.

Every time I'm down there I am in incredulous awe as I'm just driving along minding my own business and these nondescript nothing-special beat up sedans hurl themselves across 6 lanes of traffic in swift, decisive motions. It seems analogous to watching clearly advanced skiers cut around the learners on the bunny hill: it's totally wrong, but they're going fast enough and with enough skill to just slalom through, and nobody gets hurt lol.

I find myself actually driving as if I were on a bike, drawing on motorcycle training classes from back at PRS: planning my moves several steps in advance, visualizing everyone's blindspots, thinking about my escape routes, watching other cars for their tells, picking my lane positioning and trying to be ultra-predictable. Changing lanes by doing quick blasts into fleeting gaps, rather than attempting to signal and waiting for kindness to come (LOL). It's a whole other level down there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I just save my horn for special occasions now where someone almost causes an accident or a little courtesy tap when someone isn't paying attention at a green light.
They should really start doing a dedicated courtesy tap button, or at least standardize how horn buttons work.

Seems like every model of car has a different implementation of the horn button. Sometimes a progressive series of whacks of the steering wheel gets the desired effect. But sometimes, it'll be either nothing at all, or a very long loud blast of "ohhh fuck now I'm gonna get shot, help me jebus."
Old 12-26-2023, 02:25 PM   #19325

Thanked 2,137 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

1. Lol Subarus, actually cant say for anything, maybe they are cheaper comparatively?

2. Yea, transit is even more of a joke in the states if you are not in the larger cities, so if you have to... you just have a running car... that's it

3. Tesla is considered entry luxury in Vancouver, due to cheaper gasoline + more expensive electricity + cheaper gasoline cars in general. The same math in Vancouver where it is cheaper to run a base model 3 VS mid level Camry/Accord doesnt work in the USA. You are buying a Tesla cuz you are buying a Tesla, not because you are figuring its cheaper to run compared to a Honda Accord

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy