REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-30-2023, 05:28 PM   #19351
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,057 Times in 3,941 Posts
That looks dope, at first glance it kinda looks like a terrarium.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2023, 05:53 PM   #19352
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 9,351 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
the case is fairly roomy? it's a Hyte Y60.
ohhh nice, it looks legit.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:47 PM   #19353
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,160 Posts
That's a cool case, but damn it means you'll need to vacuum it once a month.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:12 PM   #19354
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,760 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Are you able to download and then transfer it onto USB? You can use the official Media Creation Tool to download the files onto USB. Would that work? If so, you can get it for $39.99 (I think USD?) from StackSocial.
thank you. i went with this. creating an ISO onto a thumb drive is too easy too, MS is getting soft in its old age.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:51 PM   #19355

You guys remember the old windows 95 and windows 98 days ? When you had to install audio drivers separately and all your own chipset drivers. God those were the days.

Blue screen of death. MSDOS. Chkdsk and all the fun shit associated with bootdisks etc

Lousy kids nowadays are bitching about an IOS update
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2023, 02:53 PM   #19356
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,557 Times in 5,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
You guys remember the old windows 95 and windows 98 days ? When you had to install audio drivers separately and all your own chipset drivers. God those were the days.

Blue screen of death. MSDOS. Chkdsk and all the fun shit associated with bootdisks etc

Yea kids nowadays are kinda spoiled when they complain about buggy released games lol.. I remember so many times I’d buy games and have to spend hours on some just to get them to run period lol
Old 12-31-2023, 03:22 PM   #19357
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,760 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:

if you didn't have your ethernet adapter drivers on a floppy before you wiped out your hard drive, you were screwed.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:57 PM   #19358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea kids nowadays are kinda spoiled when they complain about buggy released games lol.. I remember so many times I’d buy games and have to spend hours on some just to get them to run period lol
Yes !!!! Soundblaster 2.0. Sound blaster 16. Some other fucking audio drivers that I don’t even remember anymore. Just to get simcity on dos to run.

I remember you needdd VESA drivers. I was like wtf is that garbage. ?!?!

Even building computers were more challenging back then. None of this color coded shit. You screwed crap in and then you look for your jumpers on a jumper map. j2 j12 etc etc.

Good luck trying to fucking find the jumpers for your god damn case lights / fans. It was like trying to find Waldo
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2023, 04:16 PM   #19359

Thanked 7,381 Times in 2,472 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Haha 100% yes.

Tbh I attribute a lot of my resourcefulness and problem solving ability at work, with all the time I spent as a kid trying to figure out driver compatibility, researching random forums online for some weird issue, tweaking INF files and regedit to get shit to work.

No wonder so many young ppl we hire can't figure shit out on their own or just give up and complain to management that they didn't have the proper training or guidance.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2023, 06:55 PM   #19360
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,057 Times in 3,941 Posts
That reminds me of the time a friend of mine was reinstalling his OS off of the good old stack of floppy disks, he got to something like disk 44 only to find it was missing and he was stuck.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2023, 07:00 PM   #19361

Hahahaha yes ! Yes !!!! Windows 3.1 used to come in floppy disks. So did os2 warp

That’s why those software boxes were so heavy. All those damn disks
Old 12-31-2023, 07:16 PM   #19362
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,410 Times in 1,686 Posts
One time I was talking to a coworker (female) about assembling your own PC. She said she's done it before and it wasn't hard. I was like, what? really? From start to finish you've built your own PC? She said yes.

What she actually meant was, she plugged in the power cords for the PC/monitor and plugged in the monitor to the PC

side note: it bothers me so much when people refer to their computer as CPU. That's the central processing unit, not the whole damn computer...
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2023, 07:21 PM   #19363

Windows works out of the box for most things now, the generic drivers are pretty damn good.

If you guys want a challenge, try building an old box to play old games that won't run on the new stuff. It's oddly challenging finding bits that still work, and then trying to make those bits work together, then finding the drivers
Old 12-31-2023, 07:45 PM   #19364

Why bother. Dos box it

Old shit is annoying for a reason. That’s why dos box just works
Old 01-01-2024, 10:39 AM   #19365

Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,819 Posts
Quote:

Ah the days of having to go through the Control Panel and Device Manager to install that one finicky driver for the random card board component that wouldn't read based on the driver's executable install.

Kids won't know about spending a whole afternoon fucking with random drivers just so your damn system can finally recognize the stupid component sitting with a "!" in your Device Manager.

Or formatting and then having that very specific ethernet card driver that you had to obtain off the manufacturing website because the older driver on your disk no longer worked. Then you're going to someone else's house with a floppy to use their internet to get the damn driver.

Or you downloaded the x32 drivers when you needed the x64 version, so start again dumb fuck.

Those were the days.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2024, 11:02 AM   #19366

The days of having to point Windows to the driver file because it won't automatically pick it up.

Then the stupidity of having to show all files because Windows defaults to only showing you a different format.

Being a highschool kid and having to trial and error. And because you got it working now you have to go figure it out for all your friends.

Also if the driver fits on your floppy. If it does fit then you are fucked.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2024, 11:02 AM   #19367
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,970 Posts
^ what about 14.4 dial up modem? And the redial because it was busy or lines full?

Heaven was when you could afford a 28.8 ... or 36K modem ... woo ahh.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2024, 03:37 PM   #19368

so im trying to eat less meat for 2024. Today i went full on vegetarian and got some indian food. Shashee paneer, garlic naan, vegetarian pakoras, etc. Indian food is the only food thats edible for vegetarians because they fry/sauce everything so delicious that you cant even tell the difference.

Is there any other vegetarian place that's good? If i steam some bak choy and eat it, i think ill die. Chinese vegetarian is terrible. Maybe ill make a mah po tofu tomorrow w/ a lot of garlic and chilis and some vegan/imitation meat.

Ill still eat fish, because fuck fish. They have no feelings and they arent cute.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2024, 03:40 PM   #19369
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,947 Times in 8,264 Posts
Quote:
so im trying to eat less meat for 2024. Today i went full on vegetarian and got some indian food. Shashee paneer, garlic naan, vegetarian pakoras, etc. Indian food is the only food thats edible for vegetarians because they fry/sauce everything so delicious that you cant even tell the difference.

Is there any other vegetarian place that's good? If i steam some bak choy and eat it, i think ill die. Chinese vegetarian is terrible. Maybe ill make a mah po tofu tomorrow w/ a lot of garlic and chilis and some vegan/imitation meat.

Ill still eat fish, because fuck fish. They have no feelings and they arent cute.
Why not just keep eating meat?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2024, 04:01 PM   #19370
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,970 Posts
For Vegetarian, Heirloom on Granville and 12th is the bomb or to me, the benchmark. Mid to higher level price.

There are a few casual level ones on Main: Meet on Main, Chickpea, or Arbor/Acorn (same owner apparently but one is more casual, one a bit more high end)

Do Chay Vietnamese on Kingsway or Chau Express (Granville Island and Victoria Street).

Try some of these and give us your review. I've been to all of the above and they are all worth a visit. I was pleasantly surprised how tasty vegetarian meals can be !!
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2024, 04:03 PM   #19371
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,274 Posts
Quote:

Try Lebanese and Ethiopian. Plenty of restaurants in Van.

I agree, lily-white people and Chinese can't do vegetarian food unless you're paying out the wazoo for some high-end chef to come up with something. And even then, mixed results. Nothing beats centuries of cultural practice due to religious prohibition and/or crushing poverty.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 05:56 PM   #19372
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,022 Posts
+1 to Chau Express on Victoria and to Do Chay (bit pricey for what it is though).

Are you trying to eat less meat for health reasons? I just got my annual blood test results back and have my call with the doc tomorrow - my cholesterol is a bit high but not so high that if I would just exercise regularly that it'd be a non-problem. I also know people who have dropped a lot of carbs and increased their red meat consumption and it has helped their cholesterol numbers.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2024, 05:59 PM   #19373
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,947 Times in 8,264 Posts
If it's for health just know that eating the same food but with no meat isn't going to change anything ... Deep fried junk food with greasy sauce dumped all over it is the same with or without some chunks of beef or lamb in it!

If it's for flavor reasons, there's some yummy veggie food out there, like civicblues said. You just have to get food from the cultures that were forced to eat that way for one reason or another.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 06:18 PM   #19374
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,046 Times in 5,339 Posts
Just eat more celery if you want to make bigger couch splotches Hobz
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:05 PM   #19375

im just trying to not kill animals for a bit. they are so tasty though.....