REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-01-2024, 07:09 PM   #19376
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,274 Posts
There's also Chi on 4th Avenue (not to be confused with Ahn and Chi on Main). They do Vietnamese Veggie and it's pretty good too.
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:17 PM   #19377
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 9,351 Times in 3,366 Posts
Thanks guys, i got a good list of places to try. Last time i think i made it almost 2 months without eating animals so trying to break that this year.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 08:05 PM   #19378
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,896 Times in 4,458 Posts
Would you eat meat again if LA Chicken lady asked you out?
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 08:21 PM   #19379

Of course ! I’d eat anything from her greasy trap
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-01-2024, 08:49 PM   #19380
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,410 Times in 1,686 Posts
is that chicken grease between her legs or is she just happy to see you?
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 10:20 PM   #19381
Need my Daily Fix of RS

You can add some pastas to your rotation? There are plenty of tasty vegetarian sauces to maintain variety.
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:48 AM   #19382
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,056 Times in 2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
so im trying to eat less meat for 2024. Today i went full on vegetarian and got some indian food. Shashee paneer, garlic naan, vegetarian pakoras, etc. Indian food is the only food thats edible for vegetarians because they fry/sauce everything so delicious that you cant even tell the difference.

Is there any other vegetarian place that's good? If i steam some bak choy and eat it, i think ill die. Chinese vegetarian is terrible. Maybe ill make a mah po tofu tomorrow w/ a lot of garlic and chilis and some vegan/imitation meat.

Ill still eat fish, because fuck fish. They have no feelings and they arent cute.
Pan fry the bok choy. Add garlic, onion, sriracha and peanut butter. Bam. Not lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:21 AM   #19383
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,023 Posts
were veg. some of our fav places are do chay on kingsway/knight, meet on main, chau veggie on victoria (kinda salty tho), sun bo kong on kingsway, shizen-ya on broadway, and some others. we mostly cook at home though.

we also cook mapo tofu somewhat regularly in our rotation, we don't use fake meat in it, we just dice up a lot of shitake mushrooms and pan fry them first, set them aside, then re-add them later. tastes pretty good.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:28 AM   #19384
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,444 Posts
Sometimes I just cut tofu up into cubes, pan fry it with oil, add soy sauce and sesame oil for flavour and it's hella good.

Steaming Chinese veggies suck ass. Pan fry with oil and a shit ton of garlic. It's the easiest and most delicious IMO.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:32 AM   #19385
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Try Lebanese and Ethiopian. Plenty of restaurants in Van.

I agree, lily-white people and Chinese can't do vegetarian food unless you're paying out the wazoo for some high-end chef to come up with something. And even then, mixed results. Nothing beats centuries of cultural practice due to religious prohibition and/or crushing poverty.
Completely agree. Indians as well IMHO make the best vegetarian dishes if you're looking for something hearty.

Those lily whites at Row Fourteen in Keremeos make the best vegetarian dishes I've ever had though.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2024, 10:39 AM   #19386
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,557 Times in 5,761 Posts
That’s also the best veg meal I’ve ever had. Their zucchini bread of all things blew my mind. Lebanese stuff is great but typically not too much variation or large swings in quality though.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:41 AM   #19387

sooo vegetarian = can use meat based by products? like dairy, etc

Vegan = no milk cheese or anything animal based right?

Cuz now all the girls at work are chirping on about how i should just go vegan and im like shut the hell up i still kill fish. Apparently these vegan girls also dont think fish have feelings so its open game.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2024, 11:04 AM   #19388
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,057 Times in 3,941 Posts
Correct. If you're vegetarian + fish technically that's pescatarian.

I find vegetarian food pretty good, but a good chunk of my family is vegetarian so I'm fairly used to it. Vegan doesn't sound that different but it ends up being a lot more restrictive on your diet. We had to eliminate dairy and eggs for a bit and it was hell. Vegan "cheese" is borderline inedible.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2024, 11:13 AM   #19389
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,046 Times in 5,339 Posts
My GF can't have gluten, nuts or egg... it's a fuckin nightmare finding things to eat.

I mean I'm no foodie by any stretch of the imagination but I almost walked on the relationship in the beginning when I realized the extent of it... eating out literally anywhere requires painful amounts of patience. Travelling is insanely difficult too... we were in Hawaii and it was extremely frustrating, but I'm finding ways around things more and more as time goes on haha

The only really safe cuisine for her is Mexican.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:15 AM   #19390

the biggest challenge is for the chihuahuahuahuahau's. I always give them a bit of what i eat (as a topper for ziwipeak dog food) and they enjoy a good steak/roast chicken.

I gave them some veggy pakora yesterday and they spat it out. Not a big fan of the paneer either.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:17 AM   #19391
SFICC-03*

technically ya vegetarian means dairy is still fine, and vegan means nothing animal based whatsoever.

i consider myself veg but i still eat fish to some extent, like i will eat kimchi without caring that theres fish sauce or shrimp in it, and sometimes on vacation if i dont have many options i'll eat some fish, but at home i never do. i find that its easier when you don't make the rules so rigid for yourself. nobodys gonna do an annual check of your diet and take your vegetarian certificate away if you don't stick to the definition of it.

my gf is vegan but she consumes honey a lot, so even she doesn't really care about being totally by the book.

i saw a stand up comedian on tiktok that was like, 'im vegetarian because although i dont like eating animals, i dont mind if they have a job'. lol

Last edited by unit; 01-02-2024 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:19 AM   #19392
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
the biggest challenge is for the chihuahuahuahuahau's. I always give them a bit of what i eat (as a topper for ziwipeak dog food) and they enjoy a good steak/roast chicken.

I gave them some veggy pakora yesterday and they spat it out. Not a big fan of the paneer either.
we have 3 cats, one of which my gf brought into the relationship. she started feeding her a vegan diet for the first year that i disapproved of, and eventually she came around and fed the cat a carnivore diet. i think its important to make sure your diet decisions only affect yourself and not others, especially other species that literally need meat to survive.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2024, 11:23 AM   #19393
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,046 Times in 5,339 Posts
Yah I can't eat fish, but I make and feed my doggy salmon amongst other stuff in a special recipe I customized for her... she needs the omega3's and stuff, don't let my allergy prevent her from having it.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #19394

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
My GF can't have gluten, nuts or egg... it's a fuckin nightmare finding things to eat.

I mean I'm no foodie by any stretch of the imagination but I almost walked on the relationship in the beginning when I realized the extent of it... eating out literally anywhere requires painful amounts of patience. Travelling is insanely difficult too... we were in Hawaii and it was extremely frustrating, but I'm finding ways around things more and more as time goes on haha

The only really safe cuisine for her is Mexican.
Is she a celiac?

We have a friend who is and yea, it’s a total nightmare but for her she’s very proactive and contacts places ahead of time to ensure that can accommodate her etc. as a result the husband is also obviously observing it as well due to how severe hers is. She spent a decade trying to figure it out

Hers is so bad though like you can’t use oven mits that baked a loaf of bread type thing.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #19395

jesus... thats a tough life. Being so restrictive must be exhausting to both you and her.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:20 PM   #19396
RS Veteran

Your pets eat better than humans do. No wonder you guys are so rich!
Old 01-02-2024, 01:43 PM   #19397
RS Veteran

Okay, question for your electrical geniuses.

I live in a townhouse / row house here in the GTA. There's about 5 of us connected to I think the same electrical feed or whatever it's called.

Once in a while, the whole house loses power and trips the main breaker. None of the other breakers trip. This will happen randomly throughout the year.

We called in our friendly electrician and he's come over to help us troubleshoot using all his fancy tools and with us loading up the outlets and appliances etc and it doesn't come close to tripping the main breaker or any appliances. There are some random times throughout the year where power will go out for a split second and recover immediately, but these are rare.

We suspected it was the dryer but we replaced it a number of years ago but it's still happening. About a month ago, it happened while we were just watching TV and then poof, the entire house lost power.

Before we call the hydro company, anything else we can try or troubleshoot ourselves?
Old 01-02-2024, 01:46 PM   #19398
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,506 Times in 7,268 Posts
I'm not smart from an electrical point of view, BUT I do know we've had issues at the restaurant when multiple fridge compressors just happen to go on at the same time when one was dying.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2024, 02:41 PM   #19399

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Okay, question for your electrical geniuses.

I live in a townhouse / row house here in the GTA. There's about 5 of us connected to I think the same electrical feed or whatever it's called.

Once in a while, the whole house loses power and trips the main breaker. None of the other breakers trip. This will happen randomly throughout the year.

We called in our friendly electrician and he's come over to help us troubleshoot using all his fancy tools and with us loading up the outlets and appliances etc and it doesn't come close to tripping the main breaker or any appliances. There are some random times throughout the year where power will go out for a split second and recover immediately, but these are rare.

We suspected it was the dryer but we replaced it a number of years ago but it's still happening. About a month ago, it happened while we were just watching TV and then poof, the entire house lost power.

Before we call the hydro company, anything else we can try or troubleshoot ourselves?
Tripping your main sounds like it’s current coming IN tripping it, not anything within your house. Like does this happen when a bunch of shit is on or has it happened when there hasn’t been much of a load going on within your home?

Does this happen to your neighbours?
Old 01-02-2024, 02:57 PM   #19400
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,057 Times in 3,941 Posts
I'm not an electrician but for a given amount of power drawn (watts) if your voltage decreases the current will increase. So say you're running 1200W worth of stuff, at 120V that's pulling 10A. If the power drops to 100V it'll pull 12A. If you're getting lots of brown outs the increase in current draw might be tripping the breaker, but that seems weird unless maybe the breaker itself is defective?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: