REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-15-2024, 11:13 PM   #19651
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,244 Times in 428 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
that being said, the drive to oregon coast/norcal coast is spectacular. One of my absolutely favorite drives.

Stay off the i5, go the twist route along the coast and just enjoy your time. All the little towns and villages along the way are super charming and the regional foods are all affordable + tasty. Mo's clam chowder is legit in oregon coast.

Drive that avenue of the giants top down and be amazed at the wonder of it all.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ymoq332MMuHiD1A4A
Tops and bottoms down eh? Hope the leather seats are ventilated.
Advertisement
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:25 PM   #19652
in the butt

Thanked 3,551 Times in 1,295 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
They dont need to be ventilated when you have goldbond

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2024, 11:13 AM   #19653
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,246 Times in 1,994 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It’s no wonder everyone just sticks to the I5 because everything else is just a weavy headache.

Going from Portland to Cannon beach even it was wayyy longer than I expected because it’s such a weird route. I’m sure that’s how most of that route ends up being.
Not only long, but WAY fucking different in temperature.

Picture 4 dudes hopping into a car on a summer day in Portland (30 degrees out), shorts and beaters on, cooler filled, looking forward to a beach day at Cannon.

We drive the almost 2 hours to get there only to arrive into a village of Patagonia wearing families, with it being 9 degrees out in the summer. We could see our motherfucking breaths.

Needless to say we spent 30 mins there only to drive another 2 hours back to sunny/hot Portland, massively disappointed.

I've never experienced such a disparity in temps in such a relatively short drive (aside from going somewhere at elevation).
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2024, 11:24 AM   #19654
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,870 Times in 5,920 Posts
Failed 2,053 Times in 684 Posts
Yea wouldn’t doubt it, between Portland and the coast you drive through like 3 different eco systems lol
Old 01-16-2024, 12:20 PM   #19655
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,958 Times in 2,581 Posts
Failed 102 Times in 64 Posts
if you drank enough you wouldn't have felt a thing

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2024, 12:53 PM   #19656
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,341 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
How many of you went away for University? What was the experience like?

My son has always played football, he's in grade 12 graduating this year. University offers started going out to some students in November, they'll continue to go out probably until end of spring and as offers get denied because some of the best athletes get so many, more become available.

He received an offer from a decent University but it really couldn't be further away from home in Halifax, I don't know how I feel about sending my only child all the way across the Country. He may still get other offers closer to home as there is quite a bit of time left.

His other option if another offer doesn't come is stay at home, go to school locally and play Canadian Junior Football, he has a tryout next month and they've been pursuing him so I don't think he'd have a problem making that team, he also has played for some of the coaches there before. Honestly, I would prefer this to him going to Eastern Canada because he can use it as a springboard to jump over to a University football team in year 2 or 3.

He doesn't have aspirations of being a pro football player but he has always wanted to play College Football and when he got that offer I was so happy for him that his hard work paid off. I'm really torn about putting too much pressure on him one way or the other or trying to convince him not to go and then have him regret it.

I'm curious what experiences others have had with going away to University? Was it a good experience? Did you have support close by and if not was that rough?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:07 PM   #19657
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,159 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
How many of you went away for University? What was the experience like?

My son has always played football, he's in grade 12 graduating this year. University offers started going out to some students in November, they'll continue to go out probably until end of spring and as offers get denied because some of the best athletes get so many, more become available.

He received an offer from a decent University but it really couldn't be further away from home in Halifax, I don't know how I feel about sending my only child all the way across the Country. He may still get other offers closer to home as there is quite a bit of time left.

I'm curious what experiences others have had with going away to University? Was it a good experience? Did you have support close by and if not was that rough?
First of all, congrats to you and your son!

Second, I didn't go away for university but had several friends who did and I wish I did too - it really helped them grow up and mature as they had to take on so many more responsibilities. They got serious about life sooner than I did and they also made lifelong friends out of university in a way that's harder to do when you live at home. My closest friend at the time moved to Ottawa with no support at all and he really thrived while my g/f at the time moved to Montreal and learned very quickly what she didn't want to do with her life.

When the day comes I'm going to encourage my daughter to move out for university even if she chooses to stay nearby.

Third, Halifax is a cool place to go to university and it's not actually that far now that there are direct flights there (it's not much further than going to Toronto - just an hour more)
Old 01-16-2024, 01:51 PM   #19658
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,349 Times in 4,655 Posts
Failed 435 Times in 278 Posts
quasi - First and foremost, congratulations! You must be really proud! Forgive me for the long winded post as I am very passionate about this very topic!

Spoiler!

TLDR: Refer to my signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
based on my haircut, maybe
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2024, 02:20 PM   #19659
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,958 Times in 2,581 Posts
Failed 102 Times in 64 Posts
congrats, i'm sure it's a proud feeling you must have.
i've done post secondary (from 17) at home, and as a young adult away from home.

i'd say it depends on his maturity and independence. i wasn't mature enough at 17 to grasp the level of independence and maturity needed for post secondary and you really have to time manage/look after yourself

fast fwd couple years school out of province and i was on my own, i had to cook (haha), do laundry, dishes, etc on my own, time manage etc, it really made me grow up, broke my addiction to watching TV, etc. i made some friends but also already had a couple of classmates i knew already there, so having a couple of people with you, in the same classes does help a lot when you're young and can feel alone, especially in a competitive program

your son being an athlete i assume he has discipline which is good, but as long as he doesn't have negative influences and can keep on track he should be good. i've seen guys in the dorms (i lived off campus with a friend) that partied and flunked out as a result. mind you those guys seem to want to be there for a good time and a long time

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2024, 02:24 PM   #19660

Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,341 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
quasi - First and foremost, congratulations! You must be really proud! Forgive me for the long winded post as I am very passionate about this very topic!

Spoiler!

TLDR: Refer to my signature.
Thank you both for your replies, yes it is Dalhousie. I don't disagree with either of you, it's really hard to think about him leaving it's something I've been battling with this entire school year knowing that there is a pretty good chance that will be the result. I thought my wife would be the soft one but I've been much more affected, at least at surface level.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM   #19661
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,001 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Send them away!
Have a security blanket and treat him like a man.

Things I did that I learned the hard way. You fail in school, you fail in sports. Learned to balance both.

Life caught up quick. Had to balance life fast. Yeah, meal passes were great but man it's crap food.

Lastly, the safety blanket is this... You pass the course, we pay for the course with your transcript. I know of people who scammed their parents and spent the tuition on girls and that was a lesson learned.

Loans and grants are available, go ask for it. I learned quick that hot water, internet, electricity costs stuff and realized money management is important.

COngrads to your son.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2024, 03:14 PM   #19662

3 of my friends I grew up with went to Bishops (a seeming football power house)

We went to go visit the oldest brother the year he graduated, 2008 I think it was?

Fuck what a shit show lol! Bishops was like what you’d imagine these college movies aew like lol. All of them graduated and loved it but after I got back was kinda thankful I could live ar home during school lol.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:18 PM   #19663
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,651 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Congrats to your son, Quasi, and you must be a proud daddy now.

I have both studied university locally and later went to Onterrible to finish my degree, and I am definitely in the "send them away" camp. The benefits are many and varied as others have already mentioned. In hindsight, the biggest benefits of me going away for school was of course the need to learn how to grow up and be independent very quickly. It was challenging, and even difficult at times, but it was also extremely fulfilling because nearly everything being thrown at me was an entirely new experience, so it was very much an eye-opening and horizon-expanding experience. For a young person, that kind of growth in perspective is really important.

On the other hand, be prepared for the costs if your son plans on going away for school. There is just no way around it -- it is gonna be expensive. It was expensive back when I did it 20+ years ago (gosh that makes me sound so old...), and it is far more expensive to do it now. Still, as a dad, I would say this is money well spent on your son. You definitely do not want to provide for his entire living and studying costs because that is part of the puzzle that he needs to figure out for himself. But you wouldn't want to leave him in a position where he is forced to financially support himself to the point where he wouldn't have enough time for studying, football, and whatever else that may come his way.

When I went to Onterrible for school, I had financial support from the university, so I didn't have to worry about money too much. Near the end of my studies, my financial support from the university did run out, and it was very fortunate that I was able to "borrow" some money from my brother (who has already been working for a few years) to finish off my schooling.

Housing is gonna be a major challenge because we're pretty much having a housing crisis across the entire country. This very same problem was already widely reported on back in September (this year) when school started, and I don't anticipate it improving in September 2024.

In your son's case, I would say that you should equally support whichever decision he comes to. As a parent, I keep reminding myself that I wouldn't ever want to be an impedement to my child's growth. My cousin had the chance to study medicine abroad, but she was too much of a sheltered daughter, and my aunt and uncle really wanted her to stay home (in town) too, so she did. She still went to med school, but I keep thinking that she could have grown so much more had she ventured out to see the big world that is out there.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2024, 03:20 PM   #19664
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,274 Times in 3,679 Posts
Failed 470 Times in 235 Posts
ugh... "youth".... yuck

throw them out there, if they survive they survive. If not, at least you'll have a pretty reliable drug dealer/pimp/hitman?

WHAT?! I DISLIKE KIDS!!!!!
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:03 PM   #19665
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,601 Times in 3,568 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
If your kid want's to play collage ball let him. I have 2 nephews who play hockey. both were out of the house by 17 living with billets in some small town. It's been great for them. Athletes these days are a lot more disciplined than before.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:18 PM   #19666
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 86 Times in 38 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/R96...ibextid=CmRSLE

ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:07 AM   #19667

Thanked 4,959 Times in 1,827 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
The fast ferries are up for sale again, listed on Facebook marketplace.

Currently in Egypt, $15mil OBO, or they're getting scrapped for good this time haha.

Infamous fastcat bc ferries vessels up for sale before being scrapped

Facebook Marketplace ad
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2024, 08:11 AM   #19668
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,428 Times in 864 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
@quasi - dalhousie is an awesome school and halifax is a fun place to be.

Le gf and i were out there while she did her masters and we really enjoyed it - and we don't even drink Not to mention all the benefits of having your kid live away from home during post-secondary.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:54 AM   #19669
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,323 Times in 2,077 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 140 Posts
Gawd, heard about this and thought uh-oh, I hope this doesn't become a big deal ... and become grounds for an appeal, worst yet, a reversal of outcome! Creative investigators and cops to get a lead and solve this. This is the case of that 13 yo Burnaby girl who was killed near Central Park.

Eby backs police who secretly took DNA from Kurds to solve B.C. murder

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...er-dna-murder/
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:59 AM   #19670

Fuck watch that get the case overturned.

If I was in his shoes I’d certainly do everything in my power to use that to get the case overturned, I’m sure in Canada shit has been overturned for farrrrr less.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:14 AM   #19671
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,651 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
It'd be extremely unfortunate if the case gets overturned in a higher court. I don't have a problem with the police going undercover to collect DNA samples, but they should have followed procedure and obtained a warrant to do this.

Why was it so difficult for them to pull a warrant first? When it is part of the investigation, surely the court would have approved for the warrant.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:31 AM   #19672
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,294 Times in 4,046 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
What about the 147 people who had their DNA documented without their consent or a warrant? I'm assuming that's a minimum number that we're only hearing about because this operation found his brother which led to him, how many other times have they done stuff like this that aren't mentioned because it didn't turn up a lead?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:36 AM   #19673

Thanked 4,959 Times in 1,827 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
The question is,

Is a warrant really required for what is considered public trash?
If these people put their cups directly into a trash bin, and the police picked them out from there would the situation be different?

When you put trash out to the curb for collection, you lose your privacy rights to it once it leaves your property line. Supreme Court of Canada has already set this precedent: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle20442343/
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:58 AM   #19674

That wasn’t the case though they didn’t just go to the event and dig through the garbage, they were actively setting people up to collect their DNA by the sounds of it
Old 01-17-2024, 10:07 AM   #19675
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,323 Times in 2,077 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 140 Posts
I think for this case, the Civil Liberties lawyers should just be quiet and let it slide ... pick another case to be that SJW champion.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: