REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:37 PM   #19901
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,980 Times in 772 Posts
Sounds like some hardware issue on your parents network but I'm no expert.
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2024, 06:45 PM   #19902
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Any Network / IT peeps here?

I bought my mom a Lenovo M10 Tablet for Christmas and I can't get it to connect to their Internet. It says 'Saved / Disabled' but never connects.

I manually entered the tablet's mac address and allowed the modem to grant permission but still nothing.

I should mention my parent's internet is ADSL from 2006. Does this have something to do with it?

I have no issue connecting it to my 5G wireless at home or at my work office.

Am I SOL or this there I way to connect this new device to old Internet?
Sounds like an incompatibility with the wireless router.

Does the tablet see the network at all or did you have to manually plug in the information on the tablet?

If you had to manually plug it in, then yeah, just buy a wireless access point, plug it into the existing network and call it a day.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2024, 07:25 PM   #19903
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,212 Posts
2006 would make it a wireless G at best. The M10 specs shows a/b/g/n/ac but I wonder if either you have to enable to make it go back to a wireless b or g connection. It would be weird if a device is not backwards compatible with older access points that only offer older tech.

You might want to get a new router so they have better speeds anyways.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2024, 07:59 PM   #19904
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,506 Times in 3,525 Posts
Yes, this is a real hot sauce form one of my suppliers.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:37 PM   #19905
in the butt

Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,266 Posts
Whats everyones opinions on buying a shitbox vs leasing a newer reliable car as your first car? Assuming you are just starting your career, trying to save money overall, not looking for luxury yet.

Example:

Option A: buy a 2007 mazda 3 with 200k kms or such for 3-5k outright

Option B: lease a 2021 base civic for 300$/mo

Option C: finance a mid range 15k car? Are 0% rates even a thing anymore? Or its all 9%

Personally id say buy the shitbox, i got friends that lease/finance cars because they are tired of dealing with breakdowns (im also biased towards shitbox because i DIY repairs, i know thats not an option for alot of people)

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:44 PM   #19906
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,076 Times in 4,540 Posts
Gerbs answer: Invest as much money in BitCoin and S&P as it will yield 10% return and you profit on the investment while paying off a brand new car, even at interest rates of 9.5%

Badhobz answer: Maserati MC20 or Ferrari. Because I can't have one.

PeanutButter answer: Cars are such a waste of money. I hope my kids never drive and just take the bus. It's the right thing to do!

bcrdukes answer: Shitbox Corolla / Camry / Yaris. But where do you find one sub $10K? Life is tough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2024, 09:46 PM   #19907
in the butt

Can someone lock this thread, my questions have been answered

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Old 02-02-2024, 09:51 PM   #19908
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,076 Times in 4,540 Posts
I reported the post to moderators to lock the thread. Let's see which one will even lift a finger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2024, 10:57 PM   #19909
GS8

Thanked 7,443 Times in 2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Sounds like an incompatibility with the wireless router.

Does the tablet see the network at all or did you have to manually plug in the information on the tablet?

If you had to manually plug it in, then yeah, just buy a wireless access point, plug it into the existing network and call it a day.
It does see the network right away. Just can't connect. So close
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:10 AM   #19910
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I reported the post to moderators to lock the thread. Let's see which one will even lift a finger.
I mean.. I could.. but.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2024, 12:13 AM   #19911
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,635 Times in 561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Whats everyones opinions on buying a shitbox vs leasing a newer reliable car as your first car? Assuming you are just starting your career, trying to save money overall, not looking for luxury yet.

Example:

Option C: finance a mid range 15k car? Are 0% rates even a thing anymore? Or its all 9%

Personally id say buy the shitbox, i got friends that lease/finance cars because they are tired of dealing with breakdowns (im also biased towards shitbox because i DIY repairs, i know thats not an option for alot of people)
My first car was a "reliable" shitbox i bought for $4k and I eventually spent 20k repairing over the next 15 years, it never left me stranded but I did want to replace things that were going out and basic maintenance. I was in a position to be okay doing this, but not everyone has that luxury.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:58 AM   #19912
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,472 Times in 2,604 Posts
Personally, I'd buy a Japanese shxtbox too, and just drive it into the ground. For new drivers, that is honestly the best route to go since:

- it is cheap
- it should be sufficiently reliable (bcos Japanese)
- you're gonna ding / scrape / curb the car anyway, so why buy something nice?

While that would be my logical train of thought, I am increasingly convinced that to survive driving in Metro Vancouver, you really don't want a car that's too small or too light. Too small means other cars will more likely not see you, and too light means you'll always lose if you get into a collision with an SUV / EV / F150.

Quote:

Example:

Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:17 AM   #19913
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,024 Times in 8,299 Posts
My first car was a 10ish year old Honda too, and yeah that's when problems start coming up. You have a problem, google it, and sure enough it's a common thing that happens to that model after about 10 years. Sometimes I could fix it myself, a lot of the time I had to pay. I leased after that, and wish I'd done it sooner.

Despite the issues, I liked the car. But it was more expensive than leasing because of all the repairs and maintenance.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:17 AM   #19914
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,045 Posts
have used car prices come back down that much? if so i vote for used shitbox as a first car. if they're still inflated then sometimes new economy car makes sense
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:32 AM   #19915
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,145 Times in 3,979 Posts
Have they done enough driving to know what kind of vehicle they want/need? If they lease they're kinda stuck with it for a while so if they realize a month in that they really want X feature or need something a different size it'll cost them a lot more than selling off a shitbox and buying something else.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 05:53 PM   #19916
GS8

Thanked 7,443 Times in 2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Gerbs answer: Invest as much money in BitCoin and S&P as it will yield 10% return and you profit on the investment while paying off a brand new car, even at interest rates of 9.5%

Badhobz answer: Maserati MC20 or Ferrari. Because I can't have one.

PeanutButter answer: Cars are such a waste of money. I hope my kids never drive and just take the bus. It's the right thing to do!

bcrdukes answer: Shitbox Corolla / Camry / Yaris. But where do you find one sub $10K? Life is tough.
I feel like, sometimes I need a Gerbs translator since I am financially retarded.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:17 PM   #19917

Thanked 3,152 Times in 990 Posts
Measles has exploded in Europe. Clinicians say it's only a matter of time before outbreaks hit Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/measl...nada-1.7102005
Old 02-03-2024, 09:35 PM   #19918
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,197 Times in 2,009 Posts
Is this one that anti-vaxxers withhold from their children? There is one that they say makes their children autistic ... is this the one?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:40 PM   #19919
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,317 Times in 1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Is this one that anti-vaxxers withhold from their children? There is one that they say makes their children autistic ... is this the one?
Sure is.

It's the MMR vaccine that Andrew Wakefield did a super small "study" on that started this whole movement.

For those interested, his research was secretly funded by personal-injury lawyers whose clients were suing MMR vaccine makers.

Other fun tidbit, he has also been barred from practicing medicine and has been removed from the registry.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2024, 10:36 PM   #19920
RabidMod

Thanked 1,299 Times in 465 Posts
Quote:

Example:

I don't think for most people it's a good idea to get a shitbox (Option A) as their only means of transportation, esp for a first job where constantly missing work trying to deal with breakdown(s) could mess up their whole career. As a second car to wrench on in their spare time, sure.

I'd say Option C: do the barebones econobox and finance it. And make it a Toyota so they can run it for 20 years with nothing but oil changes. And then they can amortize the depreciation to nothing.

Or Option D: get a bike! I had an '07 R6. Nothing makes you feel alive like winding a motor out to 17,600 rpm. For the price of a shitbox!
Old 02-03-2024, 11:33 PM   #19921
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,455 Posts

I was cleaning my cupboards the other night when I stumbled upon some golden smoked sardines. After two cans, I think I'm addicted now.

140 calories per can, 2g of omega fats, 18g of protein.

The smokiness hides all the typical funky fishy taste and reminds me a lot of smoked salmon. I used to eat a can of the tomato ones here and there, but they are nowhere as good tasting.

Now I just need them to go on sale for $1 a can. I feel like I could eat two cans with rice for lunch every day.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:49 PM   #19922

Thanked 1,271 Times in 525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Sure is.

It's the MMR vaccine that Andrew Wakefield did a super small "study" on that started this whole movement.

For those interested, his research was secretly funded by personal-injury lawyers whose clients were suing MMR vaccine makers.

Other fun tidbit, he has also been barred from practicing medicine and has been removed from the registry.
sauce: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...20and%20autism.
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:48 AM   #19923
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,675 Times in 1,570 Posts
Quote:

Example:

I had this conversation yesterday with a friend, since my first car is a brand new civic (pictured in avatar). I wanted a 2nd gen MS3 or just a base model civic lx with 5mt, but my parents didn't think manual would be safe as a new driver - another thing to learn. This car, despite being a Civic with CVT led me to my friend group today and several other friend groups, which were great help for my first "real" car. I couldn't have possibly done all of the things on my E46 330ci without them.

I think it's worth mentioning, what kind of support system do they have? You don't have to be mechanically inclined, but it's important to have friends who have some idea of working on a car. If they don't have any of that, then go with Option B. OTOH, they may never enter the car community. I only did because I kept going to meets/cruises with a stock CVT civic - it's definitely a momentum car lol

Option C, financing a vehicle - depends on their financial situation. It's pretty difficult saving money in this city for rainy day "uh oh my car blew its cooling system" fun, let alone when you have a loan hanging over your head.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2024, 07:32 AM   #19924
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,197 Times in 2,009 Posts
Is taking transit plus uber/lyft when needed an option ... or is it too peasant like?

Srsly, unless you need to own a car, not only the price itself, the ICBC, gas, maintenance. Add it all up and a monthly pass plus whatever you use occasionally for uber might be less headache. Especially if young, 1st job, etc.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2024, 08:04 AM   #19925
in the butt

PUBLIC TRANSIT?!?!?!??!!!!!

WHERES THE VOTEBAN BUTTON, THIS IS A CAR FORUM

thanks for comments everyone, its for the gf, its her first car
Spoiler!
i think she wants one as "its time".

I pretty much told her the same thing as i read on here / tell most of my friends.
Shitbox = low entry price with "high" risk, VS midrange car = medium/high entry price with "lower" risk.

Basic/medium shit il fix at home, seems like shes gonna go the shitbox route to start. I told her as well to stay with honda/toyota/mazda etc, no bmws and MBs, overall honestly shitboxes can be quite reliable.

Out of all the cars ive had, some of them lasted years without a single break down. And the breakdowns were usually minor things even if taken to a mechanic. Blown out tire / starter motor / ignition switch / battery etc.

I think everyone has had a different past with shitboxes, and that severely changed ones opinion, just like anything else in life

This post thanked by: