REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2024, 07:21 PM   #21551
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 9,331 Times in 3,358 Posts
Sentra suck…. Or is that an Altima? Either way. If she had more money, she probably wouldn’t be in a leased Sentra/Altima and she might have survived. *no factual basis for anything of this*

POVERTY STRIKES AGAIN!!!

RIOT RIOT RIOT RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE!! Inequality!!!!

That’s why i protect my spy balloon with an SUV. So she can not see children/pets in front of her and have the safety of being a few feet higher off the ground.

Excuse me while i go lower my cars and go find Gurpreet with an unsecured volleyball shaped rock in the back of his Mac truck
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:39 PM   #21552
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,619 Times in 524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Whereabouts in Toronto are you staying/going? Will you have access to a car?
Staying near Yonge and Steeles, was planning on just taking transit but renting a car is also an option if the convenience justifies it (GTA sprawl is real). A quick Reddit search brought up Kensington Market, Bellwoods and something Bloor St.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:43 PM   #21553
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,552 Times in 5,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Sentra suck…. Or is that an Altima? Either way. If she had more money, she probably wouldn’t be in a leased Sentra/Altima and she might have survived. *no factual basis for anything of this*

POVERTY STRIKES AGAIN!!!

That’s why i protect my spy balloon with an SUV. So she can not see children/pets in front of her and have the safety of being a few feet higher off the ground.

Excuse me while i go lower my cars and go find Gurpreet with an unsecured volleyball shaped rock in the back of his Mac truck
The craziest thing is people who drive those slingshots without a helmet

Next time you see one in the wild look down the wind screen, your head is completely above.. any and everything being spit up is hitting you in the teeth it’s crazyyyyy but hey, ya look way cooler without one
Old 06-12-2024, 08:20 PM   #21554
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,497 Times in 7,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Honestly I think it will eventually come out to show it was hardly an accident

Can almost guarantee the rock came off a dump truck that was poorly loaded and secured
Fucking brutal.
I was hit by an unsecured load on upper levels about 5 years ago. Broke a coilover, bent two forged wheels like tacos. Luckily everything hit the ground before I hit it.
Obviously ICBC said its my fault because since it touched the ground first it was a road hazard I didn't avoid lol. More obviously the truck that was responsible for the damage to me and 4 other cars was gone so they got 5 deductibles instead of one.
Instances like this above should be criminal negligence causing death or vehicular manslaughter or whatever if it was an unsecured load. This shit is just as bad as DUIs
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:33 PM   #21555
in the butt

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,237 Posts
Throwback to me going south on boundary, just past the overpass in my delsol in traffic, by the time i saw the football sized rock, my car was bouncing over it.
Leaked out half a tank of gas in minutes, there was a trail from the underpass all the way up to the residential streets lol.

Oil pan looked like every slammed civic in 2012, undercarriage had aftermarket golf ball texture to it, tank got replaced after making it home using two part epoxy casually leaking out gas

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
this guy is the embodiment of a cross cab owner.
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2024, 09:43 PM   #21556
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,889 Times in 4,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
Staying near Yonge and Steeles, was planning on just taking transit but renting a car is also an option if the convenience justifies it (GTA sprawl is real). A quick Reddit search brought up Kensington Market, Bellwoods and something Bloor St.
If you're taking the TTC (Take The Car) hit up Rudy Burger just off of Spadina or their original location on College Street. You can't come to Toronto and not have a Toronto burger.

Since you're near Yonge/Steeles, hit up the Congee Queen at the Centrepoint Mall. Nothing fancy but great Chinese food at decent prices. They might even still have a killer lunch special, but unverified (by me) since 2022.

For other ideas, try BlogTO. Lots of great places in Toronto. Be prepared for some awful traffic. Enjoy!

Edit / Update: Check out the newly open Wellington Market for food and drink options. (I have not been - yet.)

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-13-2024 at 05:05 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2024, 09:46 PM   #21557
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post

POVERTY STRIKES AGAIN!!!

I think you forgot about Manmeet.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2024, 07:35 AM   #21558
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,530 Times in 1,021 Posts
one time i was driving on 91 and the car in front of me runs over a sheet of plywood. the sheet flies up into the air and hits my car at 100kph. by some miracle it hit my headlight and just skimmed over my car with fairly minimal damage other than the headlight bracket being broken and the hood having a scuff on it. scary af though and absolutely nothing you can do to avoid it.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:41 PM   #21559
RabidMod

Thanked 1,224 Times in 448 Posts
Quote:
Kensington Market is a good one - it's got a lot of great food from ethnicities that are underrepresented in Vancouver.

I say Congee Queen is reasonable but you won't be sad to skip it. It's a good staple for Chinese food in Toronto that we go to all the time, but if you're coming from Vancouver I dunno if it's nearly must-try.

Are you there with a couple of ppl? I know you said hole-in-the-wall, but the lobster tower is truly an experience: Fishman Lobster Clubhouse.

https://youtu.be/f4EXpaZYzt8?si=YaUToR3QpcQBd_AI
If you're not going with a lot of ppl to make it worth it the full tower, maybe there's a smaller version for a smaller group? Check the menu before going .

And if it happens to be on your way, stop by a Marathon Cafe for the milk tea! Though ymmv: as they've been expanding I don't know that the quality has held up to legendary level, though still really good .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Man, speaking of HK milk tea, Marathon Cafe in Toronto is the ultimate.

Their chinese name 馬力雄 is Horsepower Hero lolol.

The owner once flew out to HK and won a milk tea competition.

Meet Harvey Lin, Milk Tea King | The Tea Stylist

If you guys are ever in Toronto, the only thing you should be doing other than talking winter tires w/ bcrdukes and fighting him at KFC, is going here. Marathon Cafe: there is no substitute.
I also really like Sam's Congee Delight for "formerly hole in the wall now not so hole in wall but still reminiscent of hole in the wall" good cheun-fun and minced pork congee and unlimited sauces and toasted sesame shakers at your table lol. We go as often as we can!

Get some Jamaican food! I don't know where's best esp now that it's been a decade and I only just moved back. But if you don't find anything else obviously good, you can't go wrong with Roti Hut which I have many fond memories of going to with coworkers. They do jerk, stew, and curry' roti wraps and rice .
https://maps.app.goo.gl/RFE3r8VEZ6yTYest9?g_st=ic

Last edited by RabidRat; 06-13-2024 at 07:51 PM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2024, 07:12 PM   #21560
RS Veteran

Marathon is still alright but I don't find it as good as it used to be.

Ditto on Congee Queen. Don't be sad if you don't try it, but that specific location is consistently good.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:40 PM   #21561
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,619 Times in 524 Posts
Thanks for the recos, gais. Congee Queen is almost across the street so that could be a default choice. Might be nice to compare with Richmond since choices here have kinda gone down, imo.

Definitely going to check out Jamaican and Thai. Looks like stronger Korean and pizza joints compared to Vancouver, too

The Fishman Lobster house might be a bit much for mostly two of us, max four

Last edited by Spectre_Cdn; 06-13-2024 at 10:33 PM.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 08:41 PM   #21562
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,836 Times in 1,838 Posts
Quote:
Any recommendations like the above+ for a few days in Toronto? None of the nicer dinner stuff, more hole-in-the-wall, or stuff that’s not as good in Vancouver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Are you there with a couple of ppl? I know you said hole-in-the-wall, but the lobster tower is truly an experience: Fishman Lobster Clubhouse.

https://youtu.be/f4EXpaZYzt8?si=YaUToR3QpcQBd_AI
If you're not going with a lot of ppl to make it worth it the full tower, maybe there's a smaller version for a smaller group? Check the menu before going .
RS meat at fisherman lobster clubhouse??

The Well is alright, food court mostly has places that are found around the city already. Nice place to walk around but it won't take much of your time.

There are a lot of good mexican places and shawarma places too.

Shake Shack just opened up the other day in dt.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:43 PM   #21563
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Does anyone know if UV tints actually work in terms of cooling down the car?
Old 06-13-2024, 09:59 PM   #21564
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Does anyone know if UV tints actually work in terms of cooling down the car?
I have light coloured tint on my car.

I would say no. What it does do is keep you from being burnt when the sun is hitting you through the windows. Windows up vs windows down makes a huge difference on your skin.

It might make it warm up a little slower but I don't think the majority of the heat is coming through the windows, but rather the whole car is heatsoaked.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 05:50 AM   #21565
RS Veteran

Thanks for that. We had considered a light tint for our car since they are touted to help cool the car.
Old 06-14-2024, 06:09 AM   #21566

Thanked 9,331 Times in 3,358 Posts
I read EVOFire + tint and my mind instantly went to white car + blue wrap.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 06:14 AM   #21567
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,368 Times in 984 Posts
Quote:
Any recommendations like the above+ for a few days in Toronto? None of the nicer dinner stuff, more hole-in-the-wall, or stuff that’s not as good in Vancouver.
There are 2 unique speak easy you should try

1) one is a decent hole / bar / lounge but you gotta walk inside an oyster bar , , goes inside a room of liquor and entire inside an awesome lounge.

2) BBT front, but you press a special code and you walk thru to a bar. man, their sesame pineapple drink was so memorable... i can still taste it. (yes, weird to the max but it just works so well thx to the mixologist.

food wise.. Tempura Keisuke -it's in downtown, but it's a unique experience.

it's at CHEFS HALL - You go inside and there are tons of places to choose and eat at a common area, super economical.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 08:23 AM   #21568

Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Thanks for that. We had considered a light tint for our car since they are touted to help cool the car.
Better off getting a white car instead. When I was at AutoX with the M3, I leaned out of the window to talk to someone and I put my arm on the window sill, which included the black trim. Holy shit the black trim was hot and it burnt me.

Little things like lighter colour seats help to not burn your skin, but park under the sun for 2 hours nothing is going to help you.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:44 AM   #21569
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,820 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Yonge and Steeles is a little bit of a trek to the downtown core.

The TTC (Subway) would probably be your best bet. There are at least three busses that can take you to Finch Station from Yonge and Steeles. Finch Station to Downtown is about 35-40mins. There's a Japanese/Korean spot right at Yonge and Finch next to the Shoppers that's pretty good (Hashi Izakaya), you may want to check that out before you head downtown.

Driving is hit or miss, taking the DVP downtown could be a pain in the ass and it could take you up to an hour depending on traffic, so Driving isn't always the most convenient unless you value having your own space. Price of car + traffic + parking, not sure if it's worth it.

If you're only there for a few days, I don't know if a car is needed. Most of the action is downtown Toronto as it's pretty big, you go there for the downtown, which limits the need to go outside. Unless you're wanting to go to Niagara, which if you haven't been is pretty nice.

Sugar Beach is an interesting spot if you have a couple hours you want to kill with some drinks on a man-made beach in an industrial area.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 09:29 AM   #21570

Thanked 7,361 Times in 2,468 Posts
Quote:
If you like dive bars with character and decent food, Sneaky Dee's.

Bathurst Local for a vibey cocktail bar that feels like you're in a living room.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 10:21 AM   #21571
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,552 Times in 5,758 Posts
It’s insane how many people knock on my fucking door after I’ve out a huge “no soliciting” sign as big as my address plate

Just have Jehovas knock and the first thing the clown says is “so I see your sign but we are not selling anything”

I said oh so you’re just soliciting unwanted information then?

Ready to push someone down the fucking steps who knocks next like are you that fucking obtuse?
Old 06-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #21572

Thanked 4,824 Times in 1,818 Posts
Open your door with your shirt off, usually does the trick.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 10:38 AM   #21573
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I have light coloured tint on my car.

I would say no. What it does do is keep you from being burnt when the sun is hitting you through the windows. Windows up vs windows down makes a huge difference on your skin.

It might make it warm up a little slower but I don't think the majority of the heat is coming through the windows, but rather the whole car is heatsoaked.
I have ceramic tint on my car and it helps with how fast the car gets hot when left in the sun. Lots of youtube videos showing the difference by using a temp gun. The darkness of the tint isn't the measure. My fronts are super light (like 90+) but are ceramic and still help with heat rejection.
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:55 AM   #21574
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Better off getting a white car instead. When I was at AutoX with the M3, I leaned out of the window to talk to someone and I put my arm on the window sill, which included the black trim. Holy shit the black trim was hot and it burnt me.

Little things like lighter colour seats help to not burn your skin, but park under the sun for 2 hours nothing is going to help you.
My car is blue.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:30 PM   #21575
RabidMod

Thanked 1,224 Times in 448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
RS meat at fisherman lobster clubhouse??
Yes and I will make us T-shirts with this on it: everybody gotta wear it!