REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-03-2024, 02:26 PM   #22626
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,940 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
i wonder if this will mean delivery people won't give a shit about customer service b/c no one will likely tip if the cost of food delivery will go up, or fewer people will do food delivery due to increased costs.
Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 02:30 PM   #22627
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,284 Times in 4,634 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
The extent of my culinary palate ends at White Spot so I doubt I'll be going to any Michelin-esque restaurants anytime soon
I need to learn from you.

Life goal: Buy E46 M3 (Edit: Buy two!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2024, 03:10 PM   #22628
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I need to learn from you.

Life goal: Buy E46 M3 (Edit: Buy two!)
https://www.revscene.net/forums/7178...ml#post9147972
Old 09-03-2024, 03:47 PM   #22629
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
Interesting, I was wondering why the tip amount/option is no longer there during the check out page of uber eats
I don't use these services much. I'm conflicted about it. If the conditions are truly that horrible why are these people doing it, so I don't buy that they need it.

At the same time if this prices out the services, I would believe we would get a fuck ton less congestion on the roads. Half of these rideshare drivers can't drive worth shit and they don't know their way around the city and don't know the rules.

The doordash/ubereats/instacart workers are just as bad as it's "convenient" for them to just pull over and stop anywhere for them even if it says no stopping. Tons of times on Victoria drive there's a car stopped where they aren't because they are picking up an order from the liquor store or the weed store.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 04:04 PM   #22630
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I must be in a really small minority of people who have never used a food delivery app in y life.. if I have to go pickup food I kind of enjoy the music filled drive even if it's short and whatever little human interactions might occur on the way
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 04:22 PM   #22631

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
You can see the TFW effect, there's too many food delivery drivers in the city now.

Anytime you walk by the McDonald's at Brentwood you'll easily see 5-6 guys just sitting around by their scooter/bike waiting for an order to pop up.

I always wonder to myself how much are you actually making if a bunch of your time is just sitting on the bench outside of a fast food spot hoping you'll get an order?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2024, 04:54 PM   #22632
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I must be in a really small minority of people who have never used a food delivery app in y life.. if I have to go pickup food I kind of enjoy the music filled drive even if it's short and whatever little human interactions might occur on the way
Personally, I don't know why these food delivery platforms haven't folded yet. None of the platforms are making any money. The restaurants are losing money from these sales too, since they need to give a cut to the platform. The delivery drivers are barely making anything to make ends meet.

Consumers seem to be the only ones reaping any benefits.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2024, 04:58 PM   #22633
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
If no one was making any money, why would anyone do it?

It’s like driving for Uber, I’ve never met a person who drove for Uber who didn’t like it
Old 09-03-2024, 05:23 PM   #22634
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Personally, I don't know why these food delivery platforms haven't folded yet. None of the platforms are making any money. The restaurants are losing money from these sales too, since they need to give a cut to the platform. The delivery drivers are barely making anything to make ends meet.

They should be making a killing with their massive fees and minimal costs. Consumers are benefiting the least.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 05:30 PM   #22635
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If no one was making any money, why would anyone do it?

It’s like driving for Uber, I’ve never met a person who drove for Uber who didn’t like it
The other way to look at it is that some people need to do be doing it out of necessity.
Quote:
Old 09-03-2024, 05:31 PM   #22636
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I'm in your minority. I'll do occasional delivery with restaurants that have their own drivers but I'll never use those apps.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 05:51 PM   #22637
RS Veteran

I, too, have never used a food delivery app. I think I've only ever gotten delivery maybe twice in my entire life.
Quote:
Old 09-03-2024, 06:02 PM   #22638
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
The other way to look at it is that some people need to do be doing it out of necessity.
Ah you mean the 13 guys sharing the same basement suite?

These services were all meant to be consumer driven, thus working both ways. As soon as govt. intervention comes into play, prices go up and less people use them.
Old 09-03-2024, 06:02 PM   #22639

We are apparently just a bunch of boomers based on all above messages
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2024, 06:10 PM   #22640
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I don't use these services much. I'm conflicted about it. If the conditions are truly that horrible why are these people doing it, so I don't buy that they need it.

At the same time if this prices out the services, I would believe we would get a fuck ton less congestion on the roads. Half of these rideshare drivers can't drive worth shit and they don't know their way around the city and don't know the rules.

The doordash/ubereats/instacart workers are just as bad as it's "convenient" for them to just pull over and stop anywhere for them even if it says no stopping. Tons of times on Victoria drive there's a car stopped where they aren't because they are picking up an order from the liquor store or the weed store.
Pre-covid I've never ever ordered delivery before, but now on my hybrid WFH days I might order something while I'm out running errands or going to the gym on my "lunch break", so it is convenient when food either shows up at the same time as me coming home or shortly after without taking a 2 hour lunch break lol

Yes, I could go pick up, but ordering on an app vs the phone does have it benefits including seeing all the costs, and it ends up being within $2-4 more so I just pay the extra.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 06:27 PM   #22641

Quote:
Pre-covid I've never ever ordered delivery before, but now on my hybrid WFH days I might order something while I'm out running errands or going to the gym on my "lunch break", so it is convenient when food either shows up at the same time as me coming home or shortly after without taking a 2 hour lunch break lol

Yes, I could go pick up, but ordering on an app vs the phone does have it benefits including seeing all the costs, and it ends up being within $2-4 more so I just pay the extra.
I find it's rarely just $2-4 more. If there are no discounts then it's delivery costs plus tipping. They also like to lump a few deliveries together so your food isn't as fresh as say picking it up yourself.

True I can get take out from a place in DT without actually going to DT, but I can just as well just cook at home and be healthier.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2024, 07:11 PM   #22642

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
I find it's rarely just $2-4 more. If there are no discounts then it's delivery costs plus tipping. They also like to lump a few deliveries together so your food isn't as fresh as say picking it up yourself.

True I can get take out from a place in DT without actually going to DT, but I can just as well just cook at home and be healthier.
alright, I'm not a delivery app expert, but I will say this:

1) Some CC's or even Prime membership will give you free trial or membership to each respective app's premium tier, which would either reduce or eliminate delivery fees

2) Some stores, though rare, do not charge a mark up in their app prices versus b&m pricing

3) There are usually promo codes that the apps will give out, which would effectively make any delivery/fee almost 0, especially when combined with #1 or 2.

So believe me when I say that I would only order when it's $2-$4 more, including tip, or in some cases when Uber Eats has a promo, almost free delivery or even cheaper net net of fees/markup/discounts.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 08:23 PM   #22643

^I'm just cheap AF lol. It's true you can get away with stacking promos and discounts. We do it occasionally, and you end up saving a few bucks. That's if you can stack though.

We are probably on the same train of thought though, just I'm a bit more extreme about it. It's not worth it at full price.
Old 09-03-2024, 08:25 PM   #22644
GS8

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

Given the strong celebrity endorsement / high budget commercials, I'd say the only ones profiting are the platforms themselves.

We're so close to replicating the humans in Wall-E at this point.

The amount of times I've seen delivered McDonald's bags outside my condo, my first thought is always 'those fries are icicles now, dogg'.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2024, 09:32 PM   #22645
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
^I'm just cheap AF lol. It's true you can get away with stacking promos and discounts. We do it occasionally, and you end up saving a few bucks. That's if you can stack though.

We are probably on the same train of thought though, just I'm a bit more extreme about it. It's not worth it at full price.
Two times that I order from Uber:

1 - When restaurants offer 2 for 1 ... and then Uber has 40% off promo. Stack the promos and then it's actually worth it.

2. When Uber has 2 for 1 and you go pick up so no BS additional fee, no delivery fee, no tip necessary.

Other app that has some good things ... Too Good To Go
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 04:28 AM   #22646
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,150 Times in 3,634 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Given the strong celebrity endorsement / high budget commercials, I'd say the only ones profiting are the platforms themselves.

We're so close to replicating the humans in Wall-E at this point.

The amount of times I've seen delivered McDonald's bags outside my condo, my first thought is always 'those fries are icicles now, dogg'.

You say that like it’s a bad thing !

Fat tay tay is excellent
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 07:05 AM   #22647
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,103 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
i rarely use those apps. if friends are over and i don't want to waste my time driving to pick up food, then i just use them. if you order somethign that's normally $40, now it's $65 after the apps fee, food markup, delivery charge, and tip.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 07:06 AM   #22648
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
alright, I'm not a delivery app expert, but I will say this:

1) Some CC's or even Prime membership will give you free trial or membership to each respective app's premium tier, which would either reduce or eliminate delivery fees

2) Some stores, though rare, do not charge a mark up in their app prices versus b&m pricing

3) There are usually promo codes that the apps will give out, which would effectively make any delivery/fee almost 0, especially when combined with #1 or 2.

So believe me when I say that I would only order when it's $2-$4 more, including tip, or in some cases when Uber Eats has a promo, almost free delivery or even cheaper net net of fees/markup/discounts.
Whenever I get the 30% off coupons I'll order from Congee Noodle King multiple times. I haven't actually compared to their regular menu but judging by the prices I don't think they actually mark it up at all. I always end up getting 2 fried rices + 2 congees + 1 Hk cold milk tea and after fees and tip it's $45 flat won't complain that's a deal now a days

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 07:23 AM   #22649
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
It's not al TFW... my best friend's bro in law delivers food at night... he was doing it when he lived in Vancouver (Surrey) for awhile to supplement his income and now he does it in Calgary. Insurance by day, uber eats by night.

I ran into him when he was in Van for a couple years and he told me he has to commute to Vancouver first and then turn on his app because the density just isn't there outside the lower mainland... but he said he was sometimes making $500-600 a week working just in the evenings for a few hours.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 10:57 AM   #22650
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
The extent of my culinary palate ends at White Spot so I doubt I'll be going to any Michelin-esque restaurants anytime soon
I took my 2 year old there last night for dinner.

A Pirate Pak for him and fish and chips for me was $44.08 after tax and tip.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: