REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #23201
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
G35 had its time and lasted longer than most of that generation although you don’t see them to often anymore

G37 coupe is a great looking car and continues to be imo

Advertisement
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #23202
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,175 Posts
Failed 61 Times in 23 Posts
Q: What some white collar jobs that are well paying, relatively low stress and low social interaction? Strong preference towards remote work.

Some of you may recall that I suffered an illness earlier this year where I lost a lot of my hearing - enough that I'm medically classified as having severe loss. It's been a really hard, life altering change and I've made the decision to step down from my current tech exec job (at a small company) to look after my health.

I'm financially secure enough that I only need to work a few more years and make another $500-600k during those years before retirement so I'm hoping to step down into something that pays around $125-175k (my line of work is product management) but I want to consider other options but I really don't know if there's anything outside of my line of work that I could easily step into. I'm considering advising, consulting, and coaching but that's all still in the tech space.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Edit: I should acknowledge that I'm very lucky that I can afford to make such a choice and not just have to tough it out and that it probably sounds really privileged to say I'm looking to step DOWN to a job that pays $125-175k.

Last edited by supafamous; Today at 06:06 AM.
supafamous is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 06:39 AM   #23203
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,373 Times in 3,718 Posts
Failed 474 Times in 238 Posts
i dont know squat about tech, but it seems like most people in the tech field are pretty stressed out. Ive never seen a "low stress" tech job, and everyone who is in tech looks like they are a few more QA audits away from going postal

If you only need to work a few more years, just do some day trading and take the opportunity to enjoy life. Cut down a bit on expenses and you should be able to manage without stepping back into the stupid grind.

or flip a 180 and go sell cars like dark082114342341534234242. Try something outside your wheelhouse and see if you like it. Might as well.
Go start a business maybe? you can get your realtor license and go sell RS members houses/condoms. YES COMDOMS

Im thinking about retiring in 10 years too (when i turn 50). I dont really need the money, or the hassle of doing "port" related crap. I also have no desire to advance my career cuz frankly i dont give a shit. Ohhh i can be the VP of port operations, yah yah yah who cares. I dont want to give speeches to the public where i accidentally might slip up and call someone a retarded fag.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #23204

Thanked 7,603 Times in 2,546 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Advising, coaching and consulting is pretty high on the social interaction scale. Also given how much engagement it requires I do t really see how it can be done effectively if you're hard of hearing.

Lastly, I assume you would branch out on your own to be an advisor/coach/consultant, which although being an entrepreneur may be flexible, it is also the most extreme level of stress and risk (but also the biggest potential for reward).
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #23205
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
Don’t see many people outside of experts in their field who are going to be working remotely and making 125-175k

At that point you’re likely either customer facing in a consultant or PM role, or you’re in management, which, both don’t sound suitable for you
Old Today, 07:32 AM   #23206
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,090 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 140 Posts
New Post function working like it used to now ... no going back to wait 10 seconds!
Thanks, what was the fix?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #23207
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,578 Times in 2,657 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
New Post function working like it used to now ... no going back to wait 10 seconds!
Thanks, what was the fix?
And I thought it was just me or my stupid Chrome. But even during the time when it wasn't working properly, the New Post link would still act fine if I opened the link in a new tab.

As to supafamous question, have you considered some sort of IT management position in the public sector? It would check the salary, low(er) stress, and partial remote work boxes. In theory, there'd probably be a pension as well, but you'd have to work long enough -- probably 2 to 3+ years of full time work? -- before you qualify to receive pension, and the actual pension amount would be pretty miniscule anyway.

This sort of public sector tech jobs generally have a hard time hiring candidates because their pay sucks compared to the private sector.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 09:34 AM   #23208
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,355 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Q: What some white collar jobs that are well paying, relatively low stress and low social interaction? Strong preference towards remote work.

Some of you may recall that I suffered an illness earlier this year where I lost a lot of my hearing - enough that I'm medically classified as having severe loss. It's been a really hard, life altering change and I've made the decision to step down from my current tech exec job (at a small company) to look after my health.

I'm financially secure enough that I only need to work a few more years and make another $500-600k during those years before retirement so I'm hoping to step down into something that pays around $125-175k (my line of work is product management) but I want to consider other options but I really don't know if there's anything outside of my line of work that I could easily step into. I'm considering advising, consulting, and coaching but that's all still in the tech space.

Edit: I should acknowledge that I'm very lucky that I can afford to make such a choice and not just have to tough it out and that it probably sounds really privileged to say I'm looking to step DOWN to a job that pays $125-175k.
What are the checkboxes you are looking for in a new job?

It sounds like you might be looking for a job to try and minimize interactions (meetings, collab work, etc) and maximize heads down work so your hearing loss so as to more easily get used to your new normal?

I struggle to think of much that would pay 125+ that wouldn't require a healthy about of collab work as at that point, your expertise is where the value is and you'll need to communicate with others to have your knowledge received.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #23209
RabidMod

Thanked 1,386 Times in 506 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
If you only need to work a few more years, just do some day trading and take the opportunity to enjoy life. Cut down a bit on expenses and you should be able to manage without stepping back into the stupid grind.

[...]

Go start a business maybe?
I dunno, I think the stats are pretty terrible on day trading and entrepreneurship. Could set him back even more.

Maybe riffing on that though, take over an existing business where they've absorbed all the risk for you already? I'm projecting here, but maybe running a neighborhood specialty coffee place might be a good semi-retirement.

You wouldn't want to actually completely cut yourself off socially, even if it is a lot more tiring than it used to be: I think that's how you get Alzheimers. I read somewhere that folks who lose their hearing are at way higher risk of developing dementia, because they lose the cognitive stimulation of continual social interaction.

Quote:
I dont want to give speeches to the public where i accidentally might slip up and call someone a retarded fag.
I think the accidental slip up might be that you didn't call someone a retarded fag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
, have you considered some sort of IT management position in the public sector?

This sort of public sector tech jobs generally have a hard time hiring candidates because their pay sucks compared to the private sector.
+1 on this one!

Also I don't think the pay is that bad. My wife works in government and she's within the range that Supa wants to step down into. Either a senior individual contributor or entry management role would get you into [the lower part of] that range. And comes with the pension etc, as you mentioned.

Last edited by RabidRat; Today at 09:46 AM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #23210

Quote:
A couple of my tech friends and I semi-joke about getting a job at Costco stocking shelves. No one to bother you, good benefits, etc. That one day is what I figure I'll do to keep myself active. I don't need to make $125k+ - that's just a number that leaves me living very comfortably so it's an option to go further down (I just need cashflow for the next few years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Advising, coaching and consulting is pretty high on the social interaction scale. Also given how much engagement it requires I do t really see how it can be done effectively if you're hard of hearing.

Lastly, I assume you would branch out on your own to be an advisor/coach/consultant, which although being an entrepreneur may be flexible, it is also the most extreme level of stress and risk (but also the biggest potential for reward).
Fair point - some aspects of this I find just fine for me. Basically the stuff that is tough for me are the high stakes conversations where many people are speaking (like a weekly exec meeting) or 1:1 meetings with my directs but stuff like 3rd party coaching (someone who doesn't report to me) is generally pretty easy and enjoyable for me. In my line of work I'd probably charge $200-300/hr as well so, in theory, I could have two hours of calls a day and make a pretty solid living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
As to supafamous question, have you considered some sort of IT management position in the public sector? It would check the salary, low(er) stress, and partial remote work boxes. In theory, there'd probably be a pension as well, but you'd have to work long enough -- probably 2 to 3+ years of full time work? -- before you qualify to receive pension, and the actual pension amount would be pretty miniscule anyway.

yeah, I'll have to look into it - I know someone in my line of work who works for the provincial gov't who seems to enjoy it. I could do this kind of job in my sleep. Thanks for the suggestion.
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #23211

yah go work at costco. ill join you!

but I refuse to deal with the customers so ill work the late shift restocking shit or something.

I swear to god if I have to talk to a Chinese ah mo about fucking eggs or something, I'm going to throw that bitch into the chicken roaster.
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 11:01 AM   #23212
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,225 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:

Have you considered joining a startup either as a strict equity-compensated advisor or maybe start your business?

This is more or less what I'm doing right now.

My income is fairly stagnant now. More or less related to the general macro-economic environment and industry shift in the business I'm in (CRE). I'm not really worried about money to bring food to the table and buy toys. But I also see almost impossible for me to reach a next level in term of income without waiting it out if I stay put. And with the fact that I plan to retire after kids are done college, I don't really have a lot of time to ride the economic cycles (probably another 1 or 2) to boost my income.

So, I'm planning to partner with people who I know work hard (like born serial-entrepreneur who can't stay put for even a few month) and develop some stable, but often overlooked foreign markets.
Old Today, 11:44 AM   #23213
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,330 Times in 4,058 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
but I refuse to deal with the customers so ill work the late shift restocking shit or something.
Doing late shift stocking at London Drugs was the chillest job I ever had, the only crappy part was when they'd play Christmas music.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #23214

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
What are the checkboxes you are looking for in a new job?

It sounds like you might be looking for a job to try and minimize interactions (meetings, collab work, etc) and maximize heads down work so your hearing loss so as to more easily get used to your new normal?

I struggle to think of much that would pay 125+ that wouldn't require a healthy about of collab work as at that point, your expertise is where the value is and you'll need to communicate with others to have your knowledge received.
I think the priority checkbox for any job is great work-life balance and lower end stress. I don't mind collaboration and meetings - I just need to turn them into lower stress meetings - I've been in a leadership/management role (either reporting to the CEO or 1 degree away) since 2009 so just dropping people management and exec meetings is a big reduction in stress. The work that my direct reports do, while stressful to them, is easy street for me so some of this is relative. That said, less meetings and less collaboration, would be good - the job would be even easier for me if most of my day is heads down time (or async time - like working over Slack, reviewing docs etc).

Edit: I also want to minimise work travel - this is more to do with me just loving being a parent and that I hate being away from my kid and less to do with my hearing issues (though it's a factor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Have you considered joining a startup either as a strict equity-compensated advisor or maybe start your business?
Being an equity comped advisor is something that I had on my list as a down the road thing (like 7-8 years from now) - I would have wanted a stronger resume (that's gone up in smoke now) to do that.

Starting my business - I'd only do it if I thought I could build a successful and stable coaching business. I've dabbled by offering my time in exchange for donations and was pretty successful in getting interest so it's something to explore - I have decent reach here, I regularly have strangers reach out to me saying that they were told to come talk to me but I don't know if I can make enough money with it.

Last edited by supafamous; Today at 11:57 AM.
supafamous is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 12:47 PM   #23215
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,225 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Being an equity comped advisor is something that I had on my list as a down the road thing (like 7-8 years from now) - I would have wanted a stronger resume (that's gone up in smoke now) to do that.

Starting my business - I'd only do it if I thought I could build a successful and stable coaching business. I've dabbled by offering my time in exchange for donations and was pretty successful in getting interest so it's something to explore - I have decent reach here, I regularly have strangers reach out to me saying that they were told to come talk to me but I don't know if I can make enough money with it.
I think it all depends on what kind of return you are seeking and how comfortable you are.

I can see that you try to leverage as much as possible on your existing knowledge, but from my own experience, that might not always be the best use of resources. For example... many Youtubers started talking about topics they are familiar with. But ultimately shifted to topics that they are actually good at showing people.

In my case, I'm now venturing into a business that has little to do with what my knowledge can really offer. However, I know the people I'm working with and the numbers are quite solid.

Basically we are investing in chunks of few hundred G a piece with the expected recovery at around 6-12mths. The idea is then invest in more chunks and live off the cashflow once the initial craze subsides.

Ultimately, what I'm focusing here is cashflow. If I can achieve a stable say 50k (valued at today's money adjusted for inflation in the long term) a month at the time of my retirement in 10-15yrs... I think I will have just elevated myself into the next income bracket where instead of thinking buying Tesla as my next toy, I might be able to venture into buying Ferraris and Lambos.
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #23216
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 32,064 Times in 7,449 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Doing late shift stocking at London Drugs was the chillest job I ever had, the only crappy part was when they'd play Christmas music.
He's all good because he won't be able to hear it now.
Sorry to read about your health issues supa, rabid rat said it well though, being a little too far on the isolation scale can be very bad for cognitive health.
That said, communication can be through writing in a role like that, can it not? I really don't know about the tech industry though.
Is the choice to leave due to a discomfort caused by this new issue? Because I'm sure doing what you do, your skills to adapt to issues are probably well beyond the average person.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #23217

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Maybe riffing on that though, take over an existing business where they've absorbed all the risk for you already? I'm projecting here, but maybe running a neighborhood specialty coffee place might be a good semi-retirement.
Hadn't considered that though it seems like it'd be a lot of work but maybe it'd be rewarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
You wouldn't want to actually completely cut yourself off socially, even if it is a lot more tiring than it used to be: I think that's how you get Alzheimers. I read somewhere that folks who lose their hearing are at way higher risk of developing dementia, because they lose the cognitive stimulation of continual social interaction.
Totally, my odds of dementia are significantly higher now than before but staying active and social help a lot. My hearing aids also help as well - it's just that it can actually too much stimuli. Most of the time the hearing aids do their job well but there's stuff where it can only help so much - like if I'm not looking at you and focused on what you're saying I kinda can't understand you or I'm no good at telling the direction of a sound anymore. The acoustics of a room can make a big difference for me - hard surfaces and sharp edges make things a lot harder to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
That said, communication can be through writing in a role like that, can it not? I really don't know about the tech industry though.
Some companies are very async and writing heavy so those are ideal for me now but most are still very much about jumping on a call (1:1 or group).

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Is the choice to leave due to a discomfort caused by this new issue? Because I'm sure doing what you do, your skills to adapt to issues are probably well beyond the average person.
Yeah, it's that it's much more tiring to have to listen to people especially when you have to really focus/concentrate on what's being said (let's say we're having a debate on something). I turn on closed captioning on a lot of my calls now when I'm tired b/c it's just easier for me to read what they say than listen to what they say - it makes me slower to respond but it lets me manage my energy better.

It's sorta like how you have to really concentrate when someone speaks to you in a language that you don't speak well - I have to be locked in ALL the time in order for me to understand people. It can be really exhausting to do that for 8 hours of meetings.
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 03:53 PM   #23218
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,355 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
I think the priority checkbox for any job is great work-life balance and lower end stress. I don't mind collaboration and meetings - I just need to turn them into lower stress meetings - I've been in a leadership/management role (either reporting to the CEO or 1 degree away) since 2009 so just dropping people management and exec meetings is a big reduction in stress. The work that my direct reports do, while stressful to them, is easy street for me so some of this is relative. That said, less meetings and less collaboration, would be good - the job would be even easier for me if most of my day is heads down time (or async time - like working over Slack, reviewing docs etc).

Edit: I also want to minimise work travel - this is more to do with me just loving being a parent and that I hate being away from my kid and less to do with my hearing issues (though it's a factor).

A senior product owner is going to net you 125-150k on the current market. The problem would be finding that job and then if they want to hire you, I can see them saying either you are over qualified and treat you as a flight risk, or they put you in the bucket of "has experience but hasn't done it for too long".

I'm not a fan of starting a business as the stress is not the same. A consultancy maybe, but getting that first 3 contracts is going to the hard part unless you already have an in.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 04:04 PM   #23219

well the only perk of hearing loss is you can turn annoying shit down with the hearing aid

HEY you fat fuck go take out the trash and go clean up the window and do this and that....

what what what? i cant hear squat. bai
This post thanked by:
Old Today, 04:52 PM   #23220

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
A senior product owner is going to net you 125-150k on the current market. The problem would be finding that job and then if they want to hire you, I can see them saying either you are over qualified and treat you as a flight risk, or they put you in the bucket of "has experience but hasn't done it for too long".
I'm old enough (48) that ageism might even be a thing - do they let old people work in tech anymore? Don't they have to put me in a wood chipper?

By lucky circumstance (being shorthanded) the past 4-5 months I've had to roll up my sleeves and do individual contributor work and discovered/was reminded that I'm still effing great at it. It was definitely a factor in me feeling good about making the move but you're right in that this is definitely a risk.

Realistically if I can't go down the food chain enough then I'd go further up the food chain and look at the Staff/Principal PM roles - I don't really want that level of responsibility but at least I'm out of the people management/exec space and the money is great. I've seen folks like me transition to those roles pretty seamlessly.
Old Today, 05:43 PM   #23221
RabidMod

Thanked 1,386 Times in 506 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
That sounds pretty good too, and would let you get to retirement that much more quickly if you can just power through it.

We had a senior director of program management at work who - a couple of years ago - just say fk it, and went into some kind of super IC consultant role where he just seems to show up in random places at random times, every once in a while dropping a hot take. He seems to have fun with it.