REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 08-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #1451
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 45 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavisxice View Post
some one tell me free parking locations at ubc!!
The Meter parking in front of Buchanan, guranteed no tickets. Been doing that for 5 years straight

Advertisement
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #1452
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Failed 106 Times in 40 Posts
Lol you have a very high chance of getting caught there.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Lol you have a very high chance of getting caught there.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #1454
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 4 Times in 3 Posts
So I used to torrent some of my textbooks during the Demonoid days. Now that it's gone, I'm pretty much out of luck. Do most of you guys buy/rent your textbooks or do you have a torrent site you would like to share?
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #1455
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is anyone taking comm 457 and 458 this upcoming year?
Nismo Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #1456
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 47 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
I'm in the mining engineering faculty going into 4th year. If you need anything I can try to help you out. But if you need a friend in the faculty I can't help you there. LOL jk. I'm a nice guy just pm me or something

What do you think of the major so far? Did you take co-op?
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #1457
I STILL don't get it

Failed 24 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo Fanboy View Post
Join the Facebook group, I bet someone is.
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #1458
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Failed 103 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post

What do you think of the major so far? Did you take co-op?
Hmmm it's hard to say. Mining engineering was my second choice and I really liked it at first. The field itself is kind of "a small community" so it's fairly easy to make connections which will help you get a job in the future. As long as you are somewhat outgoing. It also doesn't hurt that mining engineers are paid very well but that's also because of the fact that they are usually required to relocate or move far away from towns. That being said, there are still lots of jobs for mining engineers in Vancouver if you don't really like to relocate to the boonies. Vancouver is a city where lots of mining companies are based or have offices here. So now here I am going into 4th year and my opinions about it often sway back and forth. I really don't want to relocate to the middle of no where but it's probably the best idea to gain valuable experience and then come back to vancouver and work at an office. My major problem with that is just leaving the city because of friends, family and basically city life.

However, I technically never really got a job outside of vancouver so I am somewhat biased and others have told me it really isn't bad at all. I used to be in the coop program but I ended up dropping it. I had to drop it because of personal health issues (but i also didnt like the program) which required me to stay in the city which made it harder for me to find a coop job. In the end i couldnt find a job for my last semester of coop so I had to drop it. Coop is not for everyone, some people will say it's good and others will say it sucks. It depends on the person.

Also remember i'm just one person's opinion on the major. 90% of the students within the major seem to really like mining engineering. To be honest I am not sure if engineering is for me at all. I just want to get out of school and we'll see what happens after. I might stay in the field, I might not haha.

Are you going into second year?

Last edited by ziggyx; 08-26-2012 at 07:46 AM.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #1459

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Took them last year with Sinclair and Jackes, respectively.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #1460
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Financial and managerial accounting eh? I took those before to complete my commerce minor. I like Jackes, he's funny.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #1461
#savethemanuals

Have any of you applied for work study positions on symplicity? There's a job that's perfect for me on there. If the posting is online that means the positions haven't been filled yet correct? I'm asking because the job was posted on August 20th and I only saw it last night plus there are only 8 available positions.

Also is says that the anticipated start date is September 1st but they accept applications until September 7th?

I really want that job.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #1462
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Took them last year with Sinclair and Jackes, respectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Financial and managerial accounting eh? I took those before to complete my commerce minor. I like Jackes, he's funny.
Besides attending classes and doing the assigned homework, any tips in doing well in the two courses if I have not taken any accounting courses previously? Should I look for previous midterm papers when studying?

Also, may I know what do you guys do in the tutorial sessions?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Nismo Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #1463

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 9 Posts
I just went over the lecture example questions, tutorial questions, online quiz/problems. They also post one or two practice midterms.

Tutorial; the TA goes works through questions related to each week's topic, pretty helpful to reinforce concepts/practice IMO
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #1464
#savethemanuals

One more day of summer. Time flies!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1465
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 47 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
Hmmm it's hard to say. Mining engineering was my second choice and I really liked it at first. The field itself is kind of "a small community" so it's fairly easy to make connections which will help you get a job in the future. As long as you are somewhat outgoing. It also doesn't hurt that mining engineers are paid very well but that's also because of the fact that they are usually required to relocate or move far away from towns. That being said, there are still lots of jobs for mining engineers in Vancouver if you don't really like to relocate to the boonies. Vancouver is a city where lots of mining companies are based or have offices here. So now here I am going into 4th year and my opinions about it often sway back and forth. I really don't want to relocate to the middle of no where but it's probably the best idea to gain valuable experience and then come back to vancouver and work at an office. My major problem with that is just leaving the city because of friends, family and basically city life.

However, I technically never really got a job outside of vancouver so I am somewhat biased and others have told me it really isn't bad at all. I used to be in the coop program but I ended up dropping it. I had to drop it because of personal health issues (but i also didnt like the program) which required me to stay in the city which made it harder for me to find a coop job. In the end i couldnt find a job for my last semester of coop so I had to drop it. Coop is not for everyone, some people will say it's good and others will say it sucks. It depends on the person.

Also remember i'm just one person's opinion on the major. 90% of the students within the major seem to really like mining engineering. To be honest I am not sure if engineering is for me at all. I just want to get out of school and we'll see what happens after. I might stay in the field, I might not haha.

Are you going into second year?
Thanks for your response, it was exactly what I was looking for.
I've already taken a couple 2nd year courses last year and in the summer but yes I'll be in 2nd year.

You sound a little like me, not sure and swaying back and forth between what you really want to do. I hope I grow to like mining engineering. My first choice was civil but later on I hoped I didn't get into civil and got into my second choice which was mining.

In regards to being a consultant to our field/working at an office in Vancouver, you will probably need years of experience outside town before you are there right?
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #1466
J.C

Thanked 2,820 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 31 Times in 13 Posts
hey guys i'm going to grade 12 this fall and i was looking up the admission requirements on the ubc site and i'm a little confused about what they want. this is for kinesiology

-English 12 or English 12 First Peoples
-One of Principles of Mathematics 12 or Pre-Calculus 12, Biology 12, Geology 12, Chemistry 12, or Physics 12
-Two other approved Grade 12 courses

so what it's saying is that i need english 12, a math 12, a science 12, and 2 approved grade 12 courses. am i right?

thanks!
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #1467
#savethemanuals

I think instantneedles is in kinesiology so he might be able to help you.

And incoming grade 12? You're making me feel old...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #1468
J.C

Thanked 2,820 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 31 Times in 13 Posts
thanks, your not old, i'm just really young
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #1469
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Is anyone in biochemistry? I'm going into 4th year. The people I met in 3rd year all left to do coop
Mochiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #1470
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
hey guys i'm going to grade 12 this fall and i was looking up the admission requirements on the ubc site and i'm a little confused about what they want. this is for kinesiology

-One of Principles of Mathematics 12 or Pre-Calculus 12, Biology 12, Geology 12, Chemistry 12, or Physics 12

so what it's saying is that i need english 12, a math 12, a science 12, and 2 approved grade 12 courses. am i right?

thanks!
I think it means English 12, 1 of grade 12 science courses (Math 12, Bio 12, Geo 12, Chem 12, or Phys 12), and 2 aproved grade 12 courses (which can be science courses again, I believe). Totals to 4 gr 12 courses.

I would take at least 2 science courses this year. If you do good on both, you can use both for admission. Otherwise, you can use the higher mark as your pre-req.

Last edited by GGnoRE; 08-27-2012 at 10:15 PM.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #1471
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Failed 103 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
Thanks for your response, it was exactly what I was looking for.
I've already taken a couple 2nd year courses last year and in the summer but yes I'll be in 2nd year.

You sound a little like me, not sure and swaying back and forth between what you really want to do. I hope I grow to like mining engineering. My first choice was civil but later on I hoped I didn't get into civil and got into my second choice which was mining.

In regards to being a consultant to our field/working at an office in Vancouver, you will probably need years of experience outside town before you are there right?
Haha civil was my first choice too, but after talking to many people in civil and having a friend that graduated from the faculty, I am glad I didn't get into civil. It would have been nice to learn civil engineering but as a career between the two I would have definitely picked mining over civil. Also believe it or not there are some mining professors who came from a civil engineering background. You will meet some of them eventually but one recently retired.

Gaining experience at an actual mine helps a long way towards becoming a consultant. It gives you hands on experience and an idea of how actual mines operate. There are however lots of people who graduated from the department and went on to getting consultant/office jobs though. There are still lots of other options that you will see when getting into the department. There are actually a lot of mines located not too far from vancouver which would allow you to travel back to the city during weekends. You will get the chance to take a field trip to a nearby mine located in kelowna in 2nd year. Other jobs could also be two weeks on/two weeks off kind of deal or some sort of variation and it will allow you to come back to the city. My previous job was at an exploration company which is in the process of building a mine. Their main head office is located in north van where I worked and they gave me the option of traveling to Quebec to work for a few weeks but the opportunity came too late and I had to go back to school. I would have definitely taken that chance just to see if I actually liked working outside the city or not since it wasn't long term.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #1472
I don't get it

Failed 76 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post

thanks!
I'm going into my first year and I have some friends in Kin. To get in, you need English 12, and ONE of (principles of math 12[but theres a new curriculam iirc], physics, chem, or bio) , and 2 other courses which can be anything in the brackets before and history 12, economics 12, law 12, or a language 12
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #1473

rocks for sale, Gee Tee Ar, Yukikaze203

Y u guys no more post in the UBC thread?

Keep this thread up !
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #1474
I STILL don't get it

Failed 24 Times in 4 Posts
get on the facebook group!
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #1475
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

what kinda rocks?
lavisxice is offline   Reply With Quote