REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #2351
PRINCESS

Failed 74 Times in 27 Posts
Speed trap on sw marine guys
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #2352
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Failed 106 Times in 40 Posts
Yeah, just saw that.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #2353
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Anyone know if POLI 200 level courses are open for students with 1st year standing? I'm debating whether or not to take more than one summer class to obtain the required amount of credits for first years to move onto second year standing in Arts. I emailed poli undergrad but they're hella slow at replying
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #2354
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 7 Posts
Could you guys give this page a like/follow? I'm helping a dietitian with this nutrition month thing and she wants me to generate as much traffic as possible. If you comment on FB/reply to tweets you get entered to win an iPad, too

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nutri...19772274713234
https://twitter.com/Nutri4Students

Thanks
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #2355
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 17 Times in 7 Posts
Is taking 3 courses for the summer term too many? They go from may-june
Posted via RS Mobile
ethano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #2356
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 33 Times in 15 Posts
Its never too many, as long as you can fit them in

What are the three courses you are taking?
double0seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #2357
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Failed 275 Times in 114 Posts
seriously 3 courses in the SUMMER. Are you one of those fasttrax kids.....
Posted via RS Mobile
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #2358
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethano View Post
Is taking 3 courses for the summer term too many? They go from may-june
Posted via RS Mobile
Be aware of the condense nature (I.e assignments/tests will occur more frequently relatively) and the longer lectures/classes.
Posted via RS Mobile
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #2359
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 68 Times in 16 Posts
Ill be taking 2 online courses. EOSC 310 and 315. any opinions?
JayEch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #2360
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 17 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by double0seven View Post
Its never too many, as long as you can fit them in

What are the three courses you are taking?
I'm 9 credits away from graduating..so I just want to get it over with.

FMST 312, PSYC 309A, and ENGL 110 for my lit requirement lol
ethano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #2361
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 19 Times in 4 Posts
Hey guys,
Just need some advice right now, I am really stumped as for my major. I'm in first year science, and want to major in either Statistics or Math. But from what I've heard is that straight up math doesn't get you anywhere in terms of job prospects, but at the same time I think statistics is too "focused" in one area, not that it's a bad thing, it just narrows down my options later on in life in terms of career. I really love math and stat, but idk what I should do, what do you guys know/think is better? Just need some advice..

Oh, and also, being a first year, my registration date was SO late, so by the time I went to sign up for the summer semester of CPSC 110, it was full..... Is there any other way I can get into the class?

Sorry still a UBC noob, any help appreciated, thanks!
EUPHORiA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #2362
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPHORiA1911 View Post
Hey guys,
Just need some advice right now, I am really stumped as for my major. I'm in first year science, and want to major in either Statistics or Math. But from what I've heard is that straight up math doesn't get you anywhere in terms of job prospects, but at the same time I think statistics is too "focused" in one area, not that it's a bad thing, it just narrows down my options later on in life in terms of career. I really love math and stat, but idk what I should do, what do you guys know/think is better? Just need some advice..

Oh, and also, being a first year, my registration date was SO late, so by the time I went to sign up for the summer semester of CPSC 110, it was full..... Is there any other way I can get into the class?

First, no such thing as a major that does not get you a job. Job prospects depend on how well you prepare yourself for a specific industry through your academic and relevant work experiences. I know tons of people who have majored in arts with only first year econ courses and still got hired in Fortune 500 companies. On the other hand, I also know people who have majored in engineering and still ended up jobless for a very long time.

With that said, you should study what you are motivated in. If that is statistics, then go for statistics. If its math, go for math. If its both, then do a double major. It is actually not that crazy as it seems, as stats and math courses compliment each other very well. After second year, if you find that either math or stats is not what you're interested in anymore, then you can drop either one and continue with the other. For myself, I was at the exact same crossroad except it was for physics and math. In the end, I decided to do both .

Majoring in math or physics is like a double-edged sword. The advantage is that your undergraduate degree is really open-ended, you have a lot of choices about potential careers or graduate studies. The down-side is that you're not highly specialized in any specific industry, and you have to compete with others that are specialized in the field you are hoping to enter. For example, if you were to apply for a job at an engineering firm, you would be competing with people that have engineering backgrounds. This would apply to IT, business, accounting, or whatever company or industry that you are planning to enter. At the end of the day, none of this is impossible. It is just dependent on how well you prepare for that specific industry. Networking, internships, learning multiple computer languages, passing professional exams like acturial, cfa, etc... are some of things that my friends have done while majoring in Math.

Lastly, CPSC 110 is a huge class with over 100 people. There is no reason why they wouldn't let another student in unless the labs are absolutely full. You just need to email the prof or the computer science undergrad coordinator. Taking few comp sci courses is a smart idea btw.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #2363
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 19 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
First, no such thing as a major that does not get you a job. Job prospects depend on how well you prepare yourself for a specific industry through your academic and relevant work experiences. I know tons of people who have majored in arts with only first year econ courses and still got hired in Fortune 500 companies. On the other hand, I also know people who have majored in engineering and still ended up jobless for a very long time.

With that said, you should study what you are motivated in. If that is statistics, then go for statistics. If its math, go for math. If its both, then do a double major. It is actually not that crazy as it seems, as stats and math courses compliment each other very well. After second year, if you find that either math or stats is not what you're interested in anymore, then you can drop either one and continue with the other. For myself, I was at the exact same crossroad except it was for physics and math. In the end, I decided to do both .

Majoring in math or physics is like a double-edged sword. The advantage is that your undergraduate degree is really open-ended, you have a lot of choices about potential careers or graduate studies. The down-side is that you're not highly specialized in any specific industry, and you have to compete with others that are specialized in the field you are hoping to enter. For example, if you were to apply for a job at an engineering firm, you would be competing with people that have engineering backgrounds. This would apply to IT, business, accounting, or whatever company or industry that you are planning to enter. At the end of the day, none of this is impossible. It is just dependent on how well you prepare for that specific industry. Networking, internships, learning multiple computer languages, passing professional exams like acturial, cfa, etc... are some of things that my friends have done while majoring in Math.

Lastly, CPSC 110 is a huge class with over 100 people. There is no reason why they wouldn't let another student in unless the labs are absolutely full. You just need to email the prof or the computer science undergrad coordinator. Taking few comp sci courses is a smart idea btw.
Wow didn't know there were UBC-ers here, and a UBC thread here.. Nice to meet you all, though, btw

Crazy how the job industry works nowadays. Even though it's sad to hear it, it is more or less true, a degree doesn't even guarantee a job anymore, it's all about related experience, connections, etc.

I actually went through that phase myself, started really liking physics, and math, wanted to transfer to engineering, but nah, ain't feeling it there lol. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try that.

I'll try that as well, I don't know if they'll let me in, I hope someone drops out, which is highly unlikely cause they need the course that's why they register in the first place. Yeah, compsci is req for my degree, even though I don't really like it.
EUPHORiA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #2364

Guess I'm only taking one course in the summer, POLI 260, but in second semester

IR here I come
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #2365
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 71 Times in 25 Posts
Gonna school tomorrow to work on a project
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #2366
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Failed 275 Times in 114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPHORiA1911 View Post
Hey guys,

Math will get you places.

Option 1: Get in phD and become a prof. Set for life.
Option 2: Get a Master in Quant or something like that. Investment banks love those. I have a friend graduated top-of-a-class in Math at McGill and she could work for any bank she wants. Also set for life.

etc.

Rest assure that specialization like Commerce, Engineering will only carry some people so far. The notion that firms prefer those people with specialized degrees is a myth whether or not schools trying to tell you otherwise to sell those degrees

You already have the upper hand that you love Math and Stat. Most people don't.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #2367

Begins studying 2 days before POLI 100 midterm = 72%
Begins studying 1 week before PSYC 102 midterm = 50%
Begins studying 2 weeks before POLI 110 midterm = 38%

I don't understand

This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #2368
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 33 Times in 15 Posts
Try 1 day LOL
Posted via RS Mobile
double0seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #2369

or none

Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #2370
PRINCESS

who do u have for psyc akinari?
And was 50 after it was scaled?
I got 58 for my Mt but class avg was 49 so got scaled up to 77
If it hasn't been scaled up yet don't give up your hope lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #2371
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 71 Times in 25 Posts
Fucked up 2 midterms =/ 5x% and 6x%
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #2372
PRINCESS

Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #2373
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Failed 106 Times in 40 Posts
Haha I love it when that happens. It's pretty common too.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #2374

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
who do u have for psyc akinari?
And was 50 after it was scaled?
I got 58 for my Mt but class avg was 49 so got scaled up to 77
If it hasn't been scaled up yet don't give up your hope lol
Posted via RS Mobile
No idea whether it was scaled or not, it might have been I have to check.

My prof is Schmidt.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #2375
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,502 Times in 956 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Just curious does term 3 in highschool matter for UBC or SFU at all?
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote