REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #1651
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Intel to Exit Desktop Motherboard Market after Haswell

Not as bad as it sounds
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #1652
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,380 Times in 479 Posts
Failed 51 Times in 26 Posts
considering not a lot of people buy their boards, might as well just get rid of it completely.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #1653
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Failed 131 Times in 61 Posts
What SSD would you guys recommend I buy to install into my PS3 ?

I just booted up Gran Turismo on my Slim after a year and half of not playing, and forgotten how horrible the load times were so I wanna install some kind of SSD in there, 80gb should be enough as GT is the only game I play.

Can any typical off the shelf SSD fit in the PS3 or no ?
I got some Intel SSD's in my PC right now they work pretty good, just wondering if these models would fit into the PS3
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #1654
Got MOD?

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
Any 2.5" SSD should work. But you might as well get 120GB.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #1655

^ right right, I guess due to prices. My Intel SSD's have served me very well since I built my PC months ago, I suppose I'll go with an Intel for my PS3 as well then.... thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #1656
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
don't bother with SSD in PS3...complete waste of money
you won't see any noticable difference because PS3 uses something backwards like SATAI

that's according to the research when I wanted to stick an older $50 120GB SSD into mine
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #1657

^ I did some Googling and read the same stuff, that for most games there is a minor difference if any at all. But when it came to Gran Turismo, the difference was very noticeable...not just the load times, but the dead times between menu switching was the worst to me actually, like when I'm switching between garages, races, tuning shop, etc...... I guess the only time it won't make a difference is when I play online and I have to wait for the other guys to load their cars and tracks with their OEM drives.

And since Gran Turismo is the only game I own for PS3 and the only game I'll be playing it's definitely worth it to me

Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #1658
Got MOD?

Basically anything that involves load times or a lot of disk access should be noticeably faster.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #1659
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
I wrote about SSD on PS3 a while ago, totally worth it if you can afford it

PS3 SSD Performance - SSD vs HDD on Playstation 3

I am using my old 80GB X25-M
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #1660
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Don't forget to install all the tracks and stuff to the HDD
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #1661
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Failed 1,234 Times in 307 Posts
Trendnet TPL-401E2K
Product Review

Picked this up few days ago, works nicely.
I was using Telus's Actiontek wireless router and it sucks.. the router is literaly across the hallway from me, my wireless PCIe with antenna is pointed at it. It works good but when both rooms door are closed, the signal drops and speed sucked balls.

I finally caved in a bought it at NCIX $69.99 for the kit. Plug and Play. Took less then 1min for my machine to sync up and connect itself.

Speed is constant and maxes telus rated line. I was debatting if I should get the av200 or the av500 kits. Since it was $20 more, I thought the av500 would be a great choice...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #1662
Got MOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Trendnet TPL-401E2K
Product Review

Picked this up few days ago, works nicely.
I was using Telus's Actiontek wireless router and it sucks.. the router is literaly across the hallway from me, my wireless PCIe with antenna is pointed at it. It works good but when both rooms door are closed, the signal drops and speed sucked balls.

I finally caved in a bought it at NCIX $69.99 for the kit. Plug and Play. Took less then 1min for my machine to sync up and connect itself.

Speed is constant and maxes telus rated line. I was debatting if I should get the av200 or the av500 kits. Since it was $20 more, I thought the av500 would be a great choice...
Good choice. This is the exact same one I have installed at my aunts house with 3 boxes.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by !MiKrofT View Post
Good choice. This is the exact same one I have installed at my aunts house with 3 boxes.
Im very happy.. with the Wifi, at best I was getting 10-12Mpbs and at worse, 4-6Mpbs.. Now Im maxing telus rated at 16Mpbs lol...

lol I had to resort to using my Wind tethering connection coz the Ping times would be so bad with that telus router...
Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #1664

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Picked up an Asus USB-N13 network adapter to use with my new desktop. I'm getting a flawless connection with top notch speeds, however every now and then it'll drop connection, and the only way to regain connection is to re-plugin the USB stick.

I'm currently using both Asus's network utility together with Windows's network utility. Anyone know where the problem might reside? I do use a 2.4GHz wireless mouse which may or may not be capable of causing interference as I used a USB extension cable to place the network adapter high up close to the ceiling with no obstructions between it and the router, so why this is happening puzzles me.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinari-kun View Post
Picked up an Asus USB-N13 network adapter to use with my new desktop. I'm getting a flawless connection with top notch speeds, however every now and then it'll drop connection, and the only way to regain connection is to re-plugin the USB stick.

I'm currently using both Asus's network utility together with Windows's network utility. Anyone know where the problem might reside? I do use a 2.4GHz wireless mouse which may or may not be capable of causing interference as I used a USB extension cable to place the network adapter high up close to the ceiling with no obstructions between it and the router, so why this is happening puzzles me.
I would suggest the powerline ethernet... amazing devices.

is the router on the floor above you? If so, maybe place the adapter closer to the window, since its on a extension cable.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #1666
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:

I found that the asus network utility is horrible and causes a lot of problems. i would uninstall the program and just use windows network utility

As with everyone else, powerline is the way to go to get the best speeds
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #1667

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
I would use a powerline ethernet, but I'm too far away from the router and do not wish to clutter my entire apartment with unsightly cables running everywhere.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #1668

Quote:
I would use a powerline ethernet, but I'm too far away from the router and do not wish to clutter my entire apartment with unsightly cables running everywhere.
you dont understand powerline then.

this is a great example, no messy cables running throughout the house.. just need a power outlet and your set

And if you still do not understand how powerline ethernet works....
Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #1669
Professional Lurker

Failed 34 Times in 12 Posts
I need some opinions on this setup here that im building for my parents. They will be using this for the internet and and for my niece to play her flash games. Pretty much low cost is the key but if theres a part thats much better for only a slight price increase than its ok. Also i want this desktop to run as quiet as possible.

Case
Cooler master elite 370
Cooler Master Elite 370 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS
-Is there a smaller case around that's around the same price?

Power Supply
Xfx 650w Pro650w
NCIX - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Laptops, World's Leading Discount Computer Store

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965
NCIX - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Laptops, World's Leading Discount Computer Store

Motherboard
Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3

Ram
AMD performance edition 2x2GB

Hard drive
WD Black 500gb
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5in HDD Hard Drive OEM

DVD drive
Samsung SH-224bb
Samsung SH-224BB 24X SATA DVD Writer Black

Video card
Asus GeForce GT 430
-Not sure if this video card is overkill for what they need but i just googled best video card under 100 and found this. Is there a cheaper video card that wont give them any problems when they're watching anything?

Network adaptor
Asus USB-N13
ASUS USB-N13 802.11N USB2.0 Wireless Network Adapter
-will this be sufficient enough for them to be able to access the router?
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #1670
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Lately my computer lags to death frequently

and when i look at the task manager during these lagged moments my Disk is @ 100% and the fan will run at max

but no processes are shown running intensively

im kind of

It's not an SSD drive but its fairly new... is it the drives fault though or something else? like i said im kind of in a moment

my hdd isn't fragmented or full either
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #1671
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 15 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EX-R View Post
Spoiler!
Hi,

I kind of changed your build... well completely lol.

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX
why? because its part of the new amd pile drivers. this is actually FASTER than your cpu + gpu config that you originally had by over 20%. and its cheaper! also less parts = less heat = less fans = less noise = smaller + quiter + powerful, exactly what you wanted.

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock FM2A85X-ITX FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS (if serious about using it for games)
other wise get the 20$ cheaper Newegg.com - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
why? ITX is even smaller than matx.

case: Newegg.com - Fractal Design Node 304 FD-CA-NODE-304-BL Black Aluminum / Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
why? its amazing, configurable, looks good, small, and has silent r2 fans with rubber garments

power supply: Newegg.com - SeaSonic X series SS-400FL Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ram: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

SSD: Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
why? because you picked a 500gb WDblack, im assuming they arn't really going to store things on it. just surf the web, play a couple games here and there and have a couple pictures and such. not going to have like 50 hours for 1080p movies on it. same price, better performance, smaller, less heat, quite as hell because no moving parts!

DVD: NCIX - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Laptops, World's Leading Discount Computer Store

network adaptor: if you go with the 20$ cheaper one you dont need an adapter, if you get the more expensive one, buy the one you linked: NCIX - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Laptops, World's Leading Discount Computer Store

video card: already built into the cpu so you dont need

total cost around 625$

you could prob make it around the same price as yours if you downgrade the SSD to a WD black you had, thts -50 to around 575, then cheaper mobo -20 so 555, then cheaper psu for 530 and cheaper case to 500. but i choose those parts just because they are the best for what you stated.

so basically you have like 2 fans, 1 on the case, 1 on the cpu. everything else has no moving parts and no fans lol. you get a hard drive the will read and right like 2-5x faster and b more consistant. a hell of a lot smaller. and with 80 plus plat, over a year you'll prob save like 10$ :3 also a computer tht will run faster and perform better for games. (faster ram, faster cpu, faster gpu)

there could be some touches done to the build im just kind of lazy atm and its late XD

edit1: heres a picture reference so you can compare size difference between itx and matx http://puu.sh/1WMMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Lately my computer lags to death frequently

and when i look at the task manager during these lagged moments my Disk is @ 100% and the fan will run at max

but no processes are shown running intensively

im kind of

It's not an SSD drive but its fairly new... is it the drives fault though or something else? like i said im kind of in a moment

my hdd isn't fragmented or full either
when you say your disk is 100% on task manager... u mean the cpu usage or memory??? http://puu.sh/1WLiy
MarcusLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #1672
Got MOD?

You have the wrong Newegg links. They point to the American site which does not ship to Canada. Canada should have mostly the same products not sure about the price.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

Old 02-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #1673
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 15 Times in 1 Post
Spoiler!

sry got lazy theres the canadian links + prices.

also if your going to use the gpu + cpu thing, dont downgrade the ram, the ram being at 1866 is extremely important. down grade the cpu, down grade the psu, down grade the ssd to hdd if u want, down grade the case if you want. but imo the asrock mobo and ram are staples.
MarcusLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #1674
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLaw View Post
when you say your disk is 100% on task manager... u mean the cpu usage or memory??? http://puu.sh/1WLiy
I mean my disk (hard drive)

in windows 8s task manager it shows cpu/memory/disk/network

cpu and memory will be in the single digits but the disk will be maxed out

Spoiler!
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #1675
HELP ME PLS!!!

try to do a spyware scan using malwarebytes to see if it picks anything up