REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 188 Times in 16 Posts
350Z Impressions?

I made a thread before regarding the G37 Coupe but I'm leaning towards a 350Z now because of the dramatic price difference I feel like it would be a smarter choice based on the fact my family has other older/4x4 cars I could use in bad weather or when I need four seats.

Has anyone here had any experience with this vehicle in terms of fun factor and drivability and maintenance and overall experience?

any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks
Advertisement
RSXBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 299 Times in 67 Posts
oh great another thread

my honest opinion

any car would be more fun than a 160hp rsx

enough said
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post
oh great another thread

my honest opinion

any car would be more fun than a 160hp rsx

enough said
my honest opinion

dont go on forums if you dont like threads

enough said.

in all seriousness though yeah i realize that although i heard that a G37 wouldnt be as nimble and fun to drive as the RSX might because of the size difference so i assume this would not be the case with the 350Z? Also if anyone has anyone experience in regards to the maintenance of a 350..
Old 11-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 20 Posts
I just let go of my 350z a few months ago.

It's just a really cool, good looking car. It was super fun to drive.. though I'll admit not as fun as the S2000. But lots of nice low rpm torque on the Z.

Considering what it did, the gas mileage wasn't too shabby at all. The only issues with the car I had - which is common on G35's and 350z's, were all electrical issues. Dome lights stopped working, and previous owner had to have a window motor and a door actuator replaced. (I had issues with window motor and door actuator on my G35 as well..)
Oh, and I hated the interior. I actually think Civics have nicer materials and plastics.

All in all, I really enjoyed having this car. But I couldn't do without back seats. If I were to go back, I wish I would've stuck with my G35. Wahh I miss my G now..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXBoii View Post
in all seriousness though yeah i realize that although i heard that a G37 wouldnt be as nimble and fun to drive as the RSX might because of the size difference so i assume this would not be the case with the 350Z? Also if anyone has anyone experience in regards to the maintenance of a 350..
There's no way a FWD RSX can be more fun to drive than a G37..
The only thing about this that makes any remote sense is that the RSX is more raw without all the bells and whistles of a G37. But even so..

Maintenance is not much different from your RSX, except for the rear diff fluid.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 11-17-2011 at 03:31 PM.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
I just let go of my 350z a few months ago.

It's just a really cool, good looking car. It was super fun to drive.. though I'll admit not as fun as the S2000. But lots of nice low rpm torque on the Z.

Considering what it did, the gas mileage wasn't too shabby at all. The only issues with the car I had - which is common on G35's and 350z's, were all electrical issues. Dome lights stopped working, and previous owner had to have a window motor and a door actuator replaced. (I had issues with window motor and door actuator on my G35 as well..)
Oh, and I hated the interior. I actually think Civics have nicer materials and plastics.

All in all, I really enjoyed having this car. But I couldn't do without back seats. If I were to go back, I wish I would've stuck with my G35. Wahh I miss my G now..!

The only thing about this that makes any remote sense is that the RSX is more raw without all the bells and whistles of a G37. But even so..

Maintenance is not much different from your RSX, except for the rear diff fluid.

Thanks for the first hand experience! I've hard of those electrical issues and I can live with them. What made you go from G35 to 350 anyways
Old 11-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 170 Times in 101 Posts
I drove a few when I worked at a Nissan dealership. Lots of complaints on the interior plastics, but I didn't think it was that bad...maybe it's because I'm used to driving older cars. Nice to drive for sure, great engine, makes great noises. Prices are plunging on them now. I'd consider one, but it only seats two.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
G35 and 350z have the same engine/transmission.

Go for an 04, or 05. I think 06 and 07 have the rev-up engines that are notorious for burning excess oil. and 03 (some) had transmission grinds and premature clutch wear.

Overall, I think they're a fairly reliable car. They wear out tires really fast. I'm sure you can find more useful information on google, which I have in the past.
pk_volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 299 Times in 67 Posts
serious opinion?

driven a handful of Zs & Gs

great engine, lots lots of torque down low..they do lack high ends tho which is ok i guess

gets about 400km a tank depending how you drive

06+ is faster however the price is higher too since newer

interior is pretty cheap, lots of hard plastic, engines sounds great.

However was talking to one of my friend who is a mechanic, he too owns a VQ. HE was telling me that a lot of common issue with higher mileage VQ is its prom to have a bolt near the engine to fail/snap off, if that happens it will go into the engine and scrape the piston = engine rebuild.

just something to watch out for, maybe look for one with less kms?

Z and G pretty much drives the same, G for practicality...Z for true sports car feeling .
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 59 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
I dunno man... sometimes I wish I kept my 06 Si. That was a really fun car to drive. G37 is a whole other level of driving though.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts
driven a few before at work........

only complaint i can think of is the crappy interior plastics.

kinda frustrating, especially when you spend majority of the time INSIDE the car. two of the three i driven, the plastics were rattling inside....

i might be biased, but i think my first gen Z has better interior materials.. (lots of vinyl surfaces in black.. that survived for 40 years)

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Failed 69 Times in 11 Posts
My friend owns one and he let me drove it a couple times, it was a base car with no LSD imported from the states.

Fun factor: its a massively fun car, you can throw it around corners and have a laugh. You wont keep a serious face for long. The way the engine punches you in the mid range is amusing so even though the VQ engine is harsh sounding during the higher revs you can kind of forgive it for that. Plus the stock exhaust sounds really good.

Feel/Handling: it feels likes a smaller G35/G37 so obviously it feels lighter on its feet and more easy to throw around. But, it does not have the same feel to it as say a Z4, S2000 (cars I consider in the same category FR, 2seat) It feels less planted and stable than the Z4(35is), and more mild than a S2000. Also, in the words of Keiichi Tsuchiya the drift king once said feels like a Japanese muscle car rather than a true sports car.

Overall its a very fun car and great bang for you buck. I think its reliable but it doesnt have quite the same finesse as a S2000 or the new Z4. Its capable but not that confident inspiring especially when the rear end gets loose.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXBoii View Post
Thanks for the first hand experience! I've hard of those electrical issues and I can live with them. What made you go from G35 to 350 anyways
I actually let go of my G35 and picked up a Camry cause I needed a sedan for a new job I just got. A few months later I found out I qualified for a company car.. so I got out of the Camry and got the Z.. Then I became single and needed back seats so I let go of the Z and got a TL. JOKING... not really.
But seriously, the whole 2 seater thing didn't really fit my lifestyle. If you can make do with 2 seats, go for it.
UGggghhhh I miss my G so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc0lishuz View Post
I dunno man... sometimes I wish I kept my 06 Si. That was a really fun car to drive. G37 is a whole other level of driving though.
No, no. I'm sure I'd enjoy a RSX, but not more than a G37. Personally, anyways. Like I said above, the reason I could see FWD Hondas being more fun than a G37 is that they're more raw and you can drive the shit out of them and not really care. G37 is more luxury+power/low end torque... and that exhaust..

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,254 Times in 618 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts
I had a z for about 2 weeks, truth be told, the car can't hold anything cuz of the rear strut bar... A Rsx can actually hold a lot more

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 4 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
I had a z for about 2 weeks, truth be told, the car can't hold anything cuz of the rear strut bar... A Rsx can actually hold a lot more
Just because you don't know how to handle a rwd car doesn't mean it can't hold...but if your talkin cargo, then obv your right

Last edited by Hustler604; 11-19-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Hustler604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,985 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 23 Times in 8 Posts
i think hes talking about cargo wise.
RCubed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 4 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
i think hes talking about cargo wise.
Fair enough! I just figured if someone is going to buy a 350z, they will buy it for the driving pleasure not the cargo space lol my apologies!

Having 2-seats can be an inconvinience, but I would trade back seats for driving pleasure anyday! G37s is a great car, I enjoyed driving it
Posted via RS Mobile
Hustler604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Failed 2,239 Times in 545 Posts
a 2003-2005 350z is pretty affordable these days, especially from the States.

for the money I think it would be worth it.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 102 Posts
I don't really think you can compare an older 350Z to a newer G37...The Infiniti is more refined and finished than the 350Z. How much are you looking to spend anyways? The Infiniti has a lot more technology and features and actually looks like a luxury car from the inside. The 350 on the other hand, is a plastic factory with buttons. Apart from the powerful engine, I see no reason to buy a 350Z over a G37, in my opinion.

A lot of people complain about the lack of high end torque in the Infiniti but every car is going to have a downside. At the end of the day, is it really a deal breaker?

Before you start looking at cars, it's always best to figure out what it is that you want in a car and then go from there. You own an RSX and you're looking into a G37 and a 350Z. Are they all comparable? Not really...We're comparing a entry-level Acura base to a high-end Infiniti sports...Not really in the same category at all!

What is that you want in a car? Performance? Low maintenance? Resale value? Technology? Aesthetics? Luxury? Comfort? Prioritize your needs and from there it should be really easy to chose...

Last edited by parm104; 11-19-2011 at 06:19 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Failed 58 Times in 21 Posts
What yr are u planning on buying?

Id stay away from 03 due to tranny problems and 06 due to oil consumption.

My 06 recently got written off, but for the 2 yrs i had it i really enjoyed it.

Pros-
Quick
Great handling
Looks greeat(every chick thinks its a phorche)
Cheap on maintenence(just regular up keep)
Very safe( a lady busted a left in front of me while i was going straight and i t-boned her) her 02 camry was crumpled and mine showed minimal cosmetic damage and i didnt have a scratch on me

Cons-cheap interior peices(scratch very easily) easy fix though is u just get the peices wrapped or can order carbon fiber interior
Suspension-very rough u feel every bump(but thats a sports car for u)

Overall id way rather have a 350z over a g35. Im in the market for another vehicle and i test drove a g37 and there was minimal diff in power. The g37 just had a little more torque at the low end, but im pretty sure my 350 was quicker(exhaust and intake). Overall i didnt find it to be ano exciting car,pretty boring if you ask me

350 for the win! But if ur gunna buy one try getting a 07 with the hr engine, and that for a fact is quicker than a g37 stock for stock.
Posted via RS Mobile
z-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 26 Times in 5 Posts
I drove a friend's 04 350Z a long time ago, and from what I remembered it was:

1. "Chunky", as in the car felt heavy and dumb
2. Lots of torque, great fun around town
3. Engine music

Would drive again, but would rather own a G35
versep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
Have you thought of an RX8?

I know I know... the 350Z and G35 coupe were meant to be a sports car sports car, but driving the car is just so uncomfortable.

The RX8 is much more comfortable to drive, with an easier clutch to use and buttery smooth gearbox.
pk_volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #22

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great handling but no balls - might as well as well stick w/ the rsx
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Failed 4,505 Times in 971 Posts
Amuse 350Z

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 300 Times in 63 Posts
They're both terrible, there's better cars out there for the same money.

And yes, VQ's are terrible engines...not as bad as the QR's though.
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #25
no

Thanked 6,061 Times in 1,223 Posts
Failed 221 Times in 85 Posts
^lol...
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote