REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #26
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Failed 18 Times in 17 Posts
I had BJ Autohaus mount my 4 winters onto my TL and Kal-Tire mount/balance my all-seasons back on last year. Both charged $100 and I didn't purchase my tires from either. I know Kal-Tire mounts tires for free each season if you purchased the original tires from them.
Advertisement

Last edited by 7seven; 11-20-2011 at 08:47 PM.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 182 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I've had the same experience, they'll also only mount four winter tires to rims, not two. I don't see any advantage to paying a premium for service from Kal Tire, when an independent company often charges less. Aside from that, I would rather give my money to a small business owner than a huge faceless company.

To judge whether my car is in safe hands with an independent shop, I ask three questions:

1. Do your technicians apply anti-seize to the wheel studs or bolt on every car?
2. Do your technicians use a torque stick or wrench to tighten the lug nuts?
3. I drive a civic with 12mm x 1.5mm wheel studs, what will you be torquing the lug nuts too?

If I find all three answers acceptable, I hand them the keys and watch the mechanics work, if I notice they're using an impact without a torque stick and not applying anti-seize, I ask for my keys back and move on.
If you're bothering to ask any shop that many questions.. you're better off just doing it yourself. Clearly, you'll never be happy with ANY shop's work. That's why I do it myself...

Had Kal Tire mount four tires on my four steelies.. keep 'em in my shed til it gets cold, then I mount them myself.

I have a torque wrench, but I couldn't tell you when it was last calibrated either. When it was made, for sure.. since then, never. I do it all by hand anyway. Only takes 15 minutes.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
If you're bothering to ask any shop that many questions.. you're better off just doing it yourself. Clearly, you'll never be happy with ANY shop's work. That's why I do it myself...

Had Kal Tire mount four tires on my four steelies.. keep 'em in my shed til it gets cold, then I mount them myself.

I have a torque wrench, but I couldn't tell you when it was last calibrated either. When it was made, for sure.. since then, never. I do it all by hand anyway. Only takes 15 minutes.
It's only three questions, and it takes me no more than two minutes to ask..
Plus, I've been using the same tire shop for a couple years now, since I found one that does great work after quizzing a couple.

I make the change from stock wheels with winters to rims with summers in my driveway, the only time I go to the shop is to have rubber mounted or for an alignment.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #29
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Are your winters already on rims?
Yup. Neighbor and I just mounted our snows in our driveway. I didn't bother going/calling a shop based on the prices you guys quoted...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #30
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
The use of anti-seizing compound on studs is debatable as many will argue that the torque spec is designed for use without it.

I personally don't use it on any mine or my friend's vehicles. I do however, clean off all the hubs and centrebores and apply a layer of anti-seize on them and always use a torque wrench.

Just a heads up from a close friend's experience over the weekend with Canadian Tire near King George and 104th in Surrey. She asked me to find a set of winter wheels for her year old Blizzacks for her '10 VW Rabbit. Tire size is 225/45/17 and OE rim is 17x7 +54. I found her a set of 17x7.5 +42 mags w/ hubcentric rings. In her haste to get them mounted (and I was too busy to help at the time) she went to CT to get the tires M/B and installed. They M/B'd the tires then told her they couldn't mount the wheels to her car cause she needed spacers. WTF?

She brought the wheels to my house and they mounted up with TONS of room to spare. Obviously, they didn't even try to mount them on the car in the first place. She paid over $100 w/tax to get a service done and they were too incompetent to complete it and she had to waste her and my time to finish the job.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #31
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Yup. Neighbor and I just mounted our snows in our driveway. I didn't bother going/calling a shop based on the prices you guys quoted...
It's assumed that when people ask about mounting tires, they're referring to mounting and balancing the tires to the wheels and installing the wheels on the car.

$80+ is the average for this job.

If we knew you were just swapping wheels, we would've suggested DIY or any general shop would probably do it for $20-$30 or so. Give me a shout when you want to change back.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #32
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,432 Times in 1,051 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
At my shop, mount and balance is $100, if they're on rims it's $15.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #33
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
It's assumed that when people ask about mounting tires, they're referring to mounting and balancing the tires to the wheels and installing the wheels on the car.

$80+ is the average for this job.

If we knew you were just swapping wheels, we would've suggested DIY or any general shop would probably do it for $20-$30 or so. Give me a shout when you want to change back.
Makes sense. At least people will have a good idea of prices for mounting from this thread - it's not complete waste

Thanks for the offer

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #34
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 30 Times in 7 Posts
I got tired of paying $70-$100 so I bought my own machines.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote