REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #101
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Failed 418 Times in 151 Posts
Maybe someone in the trades related to construction/plumbing/electrical can tell me something.

As a mechanic one thing you never do is go into another mechanic's toolbox to borrow a tool, even something as simple as a screwdriver for two minutes. You'll get an earful if you do. Then again, if you ask first you can borrow tools no problem.

I have a feeling all tradespeople are the same in this regard.

So if a tradesperson understands not to borrow a tool without asking, then how come these assholes can't understand they should maybe ask first before going into someone else's yard?
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #102
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Maybe someone in the trades related to construction/plumbing/electrical can tell me something.

As a mechanic one thing you never do is go into another mechanic's toolbox to borrow a tool, even something as simple as a screwdriver for two minutes. You'll get an earful if you do. Then again, if you ask first you can borrow tools no problem.

So if a tradesperson understands not to borrow a tool without asking, then how come these assholes can't understand they should maybe ask first before going into someone else's yard?
mAYBE THEY AREN'T TRANDEMAN. Maybe they are just the avg joe who gets hire to do a shaddy job........
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #103
I am grateful grapefruit

Failed 83 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I thought it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the note had been taken down by someone (I'm assuming site boss), maybe I'm wrong, this thread has become a bit childish and cluttered very quickly.

In my post I was assuming the trades people plugging in are completely unaware that Shead doesn't want them using power. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.
I agree with the childish comments. At first, when I first read this thread - my instant reaction is with the rest of the mob - "wtf, you can't steal my internet. I know it's $5, but it's the principle!!". But stepping back and being realistic, it really isn't necessary.

I'd definitely talk to the builder first. If he's a jerk, then sure, go ahead and start cutting wires and calling Worksafe BC.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #104
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:
Cause its not the same. I completely understand asking to borrow tools cause I've had plenty of tools either not returned, returned dirty, or put back in the wrong place. The same criteria doesn't apply well to this situation.

I was rereading the OP's posts, and maybe the answer is to get the fence repaired. He notes they knocked it down when bull dozing (usually expected when knocking down a house, and the builder agrees to rebuild the fence as it was) perhaps its time the OP demands the fence be put back now rather than later.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #105
Banned By Establishment

Failed 158 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:

I have noticed that the older generation of workers on the jobsite have way more respect for other people or their tools way more than the younger guys.

I started a new job on the west end and while we are waiting for hydro to come hook up my temp power. I went over next door and asked nicely to borrow their power and offered them a little cash for their trouble. They were nice and didnt mind letting me using their power for a week or so. But I also did make sure to not walk into their yards with dirty boots and to sweep up the dirt on their walkway from time to time.

In this situation, I think the builder is just unprofessional and could of asked.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #106
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 13 Times in 7 Posts
This thread is full useless bs.

OP have you talked to the GC about this? He might have tried to contact you (He could have left a note at least) but you might have been at work. The GC could have a few projects to take care of so he cant stay on one site all day waiting for you to come home... Just a thought. If you know the owner of the property maybe you should have a talk with them to.

It is wrong to turn on the power and plug in without your permission.. but as posted, Someone could be saying it is fine to plug into your outlets. Dont just start cutting lines until you have tried to work things out
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #107

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Failed 418 Times in 151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Cause its not the same. I completely understand asking to borrow tools cause I've had plenty of tools either not returned, returned dirty, or put back in the wrong place. The same criteria doesn't apply well to this.
It's exactly the same. It's not about borrowing something physical, something cheap or something pricey. It's about having the common courtesy to ask beforehand.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #108
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,341 Posts
Failed 83 Times in 42 Posts
He said he left a note asking them to not plug into his power and they did it anyway. If someone asked me to use my power I wouldn't have a problem with it. If they used it without asking I'd be pissed. If they used it without asking and after I left a note telling them not to use it I'd cut there cord. The burden of securing the power is the GC's it's not the next door neighbours burden to work something out after they just helped themselves to his service.

I've worked in or around the trades for 20 years and I currently run crews for a large contractor so I totally get where the tradesmen is coming from. However them plugging into his power without asking and especially after he left a note asking them not to is asinine. He has no responsibility to work it out, he left a note and them continuing to use his power is basically a big, "Go fuck yourself" from them. At this point if I was in his shoes even if they came to my door and asked nice offering money to use the power I'd tell them to pound sand.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #109
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
i worked for a roofing company, and we always had at least 1 if not 2 gas generators with us for our heat guns.. it's not that hard to bring one to a job site, especially when you don't need to haul it up ontop of a roof...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #110
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,330 Times in 4,058 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Fuck me! What happens if I dare ask you for a boost when my battery is dead, take my first born?
Ah, now see there's the difference. If you ask for the jump, then there's no problem. If you just pop my hood and hook up to my battery, we have a problem. Likewise if these guys just asked to use the power (or at the very very least, used it day 1 and left a note explaining this and requesting use for the next day with a phone number to call) it's no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Talk and communicate! It's not that hard.
Exactly! So why won't these workers/contractors do that?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by Graeme S; 12-01-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Edited to remove arguing
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #111
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M5 View Post
I have noticed that the older generation of workers on the jobsite have way more respect for other people or their tools way more than the younger guys.

I started a new job on the west end and while we are waiting for hydro to come hook up my temp power. I went over next door and asked nicely to borrow their power and offered them a little cash for their trouble. They were nice and didnt mind letting me using their power for a week or so. But I also did make sure to not walk into their yards with dirty boots and to sweep up the dirt on their walkway from time to time.

In this situation, I think the builder is just unprofessional and could of asked.
Totally agree, the younger generation just doesn't seem to conduct themselves with the same standards as older craftsmen in our industry. I'm twenty three, and I've been running crews of up to 7-8 workers for three years already. I worked my way up fast and leap frogged a ton of guys, partly because I'm very good at what I do, partly because I interact with clients better than anyone else working for the company.

The kids we hire as labourers now, I tell them they can't smoke on the property of a client with a finished home or to take it outside on a home just past framing and half of them ignore you and let themselves be fired for it. It should be common sense, but even when you tell them, they don't care.

It's sad to see our industry, which is filled with honourable people, being cheapened by people like the builder Shead needs to deal with.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #112
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,330 Times in 4,058 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
^ well hey, a study of students revealed that 58% would turn down a job if they were told they couldn't check social media at work. I can only imagine smokers (or worse, smokers who love social media, they'd never get anything done!)
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #113
I STILL don't get it

Failed 7 Times in 3 Posts
Just wondering, all you guys who're turning down the generator idea; what's so bad about it? If they're plugging into the wall outlet they're only pulling up to 2400 watts TOPS, likely far below that else the breaker'd trip. That's being generous with the breaker rating too. The generators I've been checking out run for over half a day on a gallon of gas, and are a hell of a lot quieter than the tools it'd be powering! Anything else that could be said has been said, honestly it's just an issue with communication and courtesy.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #114
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Ah, now see there's the difference. If you ask for the jump, then there's no problem. If you just pop my hood and hook up to my battery, we have a problem. Likewise if these guys just asked to use the power (or at the very very least, used it day 1 and left a note explaining this and requesting use for the next day with a phone number to call) it's no big deal.

Exactly! So why won't these workers/contractors do that?
I totally get that these guys aren't innocent in all this. I was directing my part at the guys that are screaming for murder, rape, slight pillaging and cutting the cords.

People can assume something is a little bad, but not know it really "grinds your gears" until you say something. So all the RS Beat down crew can talk about cutting cables and phoning the police/city all they want, but until you have stepped away from the computer, and talk to the person that has so wronged you-its a moot issue.

And that's why I said...talking and communication. I agree that helping yourself to someones power just because its available isn't cool, but these guys may not make it out to be as bad as the OP seems to perceive it as.

I'm gonna call it.

/End of Thread
Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #115

Failed 27 Times in 6 Posts
Stay home one day and get a bunch of friends over and have them bring bats and sit int the yard and watch them

But srs just stay home one day and confront them if that doesnt work put up no trespassing signs and call police if u can catch one of them on camera
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #116
Banned By Establishment

Failed 158 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Totally agree, the younger generation just doesn't seem to conduct themselves with the same standards as older craftsmen in our industry. I'm twenty three, and I've been running crews of up to 7-8 workers for three years already. I worked my way up fast and leap frogged a ton of guys, partly because I'm very good at what I do, partly because I interact with clients better than anyone else working for the company.

The kids we hire as labourers now, I tell them they can't smoke on the property of a client with a finished home or to take it outside on a home just past framing and half of them ignore you and let themselves be fired for it. It should be common sense, but even when you tell them, they don't care.

It's sad to see our industry, which is filled with honourable people, being cheapened by people like the builder Shead needs to deal with.
yeah, just today the rebar guys didnt show up to finish their job and the framers ran out of work by coffee time. I called him and his bullshit excuse was that the truck broke down which is full of it. Seriously, if you have problem showing up just be upfront about it and not waste everyones time and money.

10 years back, trades ppl care about workmanship and the job, they would stay late to get the job done and what not. Now a days, these dumb asses would show up at 730 and be gone by 330. Wont even stay 30mins longer if its something important. So hard to hire honest ppl that wont cut corners now a days.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #117
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 98 Times in 39 Posts
ok here's an update.
spoke to the home owner, and the head contractor. these ppl actually registered the power to the house next door, but i guess the ass hole was too dumb to remember to tell his workers(plus they probably dont read english) so far they've stopped using our electricity, and i do see that they are plugging the power to the other neighbour's hydro meter now, i just hope it stays this way. i would really hate to have to take further actions and ruin the relationship with our neighbours. on the same day also spoke to the owner regarding the busted fence, and he spoke to the contractor demanded that he rebuild/repair the fence upon completing his job.

thanks for everyone's help and love all the options i was offered even though some may be too cruel lol
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #118
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 76 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M5 View Post
yeah, just today the rebar guys didnt show up to finish their job and the framers ran out of work by coffee time. I called him and his bullshit excuse was that the truck broke down which is full of it. Seriously, if you have problem showing up just be upfront about it and not waste everyones time and money.

10 years back, trades ppl care about workmanship and the job, they would stay late to get the job done and what not. Now a days, these dumb asses would show up at 730 and be gone by 330. Wont even stay 30mins longer if its something important. So hard to hire honest ppl that wont cut corners now a days.
One of the contributors to this is that the the real estate market is hot right now and builders are just putting things up AS FAST AS THEY CAN while trying to keep costs low. They try to cut corners cause they know they can get away with it, it's easy to find another gig out there.

There's a shortage of good builders in BC. when permits slow down and the real estate market cools and less projects are available these shoddy contractors will be greatly reduced.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #119
SardaukarMod

Failed 15 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shead View Post
ok here's an update.
...so far they've stopped using our electricity, and i do see that they are plugging the power to the other neighbour's hydro meter now, i just hope it stays this way.
Wait, what? So as long as they're not stealing from you, eh? You think the other neighbour knows that the workers are doing that?
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #120
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 98 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
Wait, what? So as long as they're not stealing from you, eh? You think the other neighbour knows that the workers are doing that?
im no electrician here but im pretty sure the other neighbour knows since they're always home, and the wire was plugged into their hydro meter this time.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #121
jjl
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same crap here recently. Used water source, left the hose all dirty with cement encrusted on the tip. Left dirty foot markings from path to hose. Took off the backyard hose and did not even bother putting it back on the holder. They even had the nerve to chill out under our balcony to dodge the rain, and left some of their lunch leftover junk. Honestly felt like just going straight to city hall or police but I think I'll try talking to whoever looks in charge first. If it looks like "they don't give a shit" attitude, then I'll just make a complaint to the city.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #122
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,370 Times in 1,795 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Same crap here recently. Used water source, left the hose all dirty with cement encrusted on the tip. Left dirty foot markings from path to hose. Took off the backyard hose and did not even bother putting it back on the holder. They even had the nerve to chill out under our balcony to dodge the rain, and left some of their lunch leftover junk. Honestly felt like just going straight to city hall or police but I think I'll try talking to whoever looks in charge first. If it looks like "they don't give a shit" attitude, then I'll just make a complaint to the city.
Seriously?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #123
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Failed 771 Times in 208 Posts
I had a bad experience with a builder doing an 8 storey building using our water, they asked if they could do so first. Stupidly I allowed them to do so since they said they would foot the bill at the end of the job. There was some cost over run so by the time the job was done.... gave them the bill and they said no way we used this much we arn't paying!
So lesson learnt.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #124
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 22 Times in 10 Posts
1. Talk to the owner/builder of the property and tell them your issue and to stop using your power and coming on your property.
2. After the talk one day stay home between 11-3pm and film/ take pictures of them on your property after you made it clear they were not welcome.
3. Lock your breaker box so they cant get in.
4. take your proof to the city or police to have this resolved.

I understand the frustration but if you damage they stuff you can only imagine what they could do to your house while you are not home.

If I am not mistaken cant they build a post and attach a meter to it to run power for there site? Iv seen that before I think they just want to mooch until someone says stop.

If you give them an inch they will take a mile from you and be using anything and everything from your property.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #125
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
^you must have skipped the last page, lol.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Closed Thread